Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

Lightning Lord posted:

I'm sure there are some nerds on a foreign message board right now asking why American movies are nothing but superheroes.

"Why are American comics nothing but superheroes" is definitely a question that's being asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Lightning Lord posted:

I think almost all of the high school stuff gets translated because it's super popular among nerds, so it looks dominant to us.

I'm sure there are some nerds on a foreign message board right now asking why American movies are nothing but superheroes.

Some sort of internet nerd exchange program would be fascinating.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Stefu posted:

"Why are American comics nothing but superheroes" is definitely a question that's being asked.

From what I know about Japanese comic nerddom (distinct from the commuting salarymen reading golfing manga that they throw away when they're done and the like) they like western comics, they just don't enjoy continuity heavy superheroes that have no obvious entry point. Hellboy is pretty popular for example. Note I mean popular among people who read comics as a hobby.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Some sort of internet nerd exchange program would be fascinating.

I'm pretty sure Americans are still blanket ip banned from 2ch, so...

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So with the recent fly by missile launch by North Korea, are Japanese civilians prepared if war comes to the Korean peninsula? Do they have anywhere to hide, and technology that can shoot down these missiles

mystes
May 31, 2006

Willo567 posted:

So with the recent fly by missile launch by North Korea, are Japanese civilians prepared if war comes to the Korean peninsula?
No.

quote:

Do they have anywhere to hide, and technology that can shoot down these missiles
No.

There has recently been talk about installing a THAAD or Aegis system, but it hasn't happened yet. I don't know what the US's capabilities are, but missile defense systems mostly seem to be a joke anyway. The U.S. set up a THAAD in South Korea but I don't think it's really been sufficiently tested, and even assuming it works at all, just launching a whole bunch of missiles at once will probably be enough to defeat it.

It honestly seems pretty dumb of North Korea to have done this right now, just when it seemed like things had gotten a bit less tense with Guam. It's like North Korea is trying to point out that soon they'll be able to ensure destruction of not just South Korea but also Japan in the event of war, which is probably going to make more people in the US to want to act preemptively now regardless of the cost.

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 29, 2017

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They are just calling his bluff.

No one in the US cares because Houston is dying.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Yeah north koreas gone in most Americans minds. at lwast this week. the dead college kid was the apex and now were cyclong through another term of quiet koreas.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

lmao Taro Aso

http://www.sankei.com/politics/news/170829/plt1708290087-n1.html

quote:

麻生太郎氏「動機が正しくても何百万人殺したヒトラーは駄目だ」

"Even if Hitler's motivations were good, he was bad because he killed millions of people"

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

More like 阿呆 太郎

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I missed the birth rate talk, but I noticed people kept saying migrants are slowing down the process in Europe. A lot of Eurogoons tell me it is harming them since most migrants coming into Europe are unskilled and want to be on the dole.

Not sure how true that is.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

punk rebel ecks posted:

A lot of Eurogoons tell me it is harming them since most migrants coming into Europe are unskilled and want to be on the dole.
Every time in human history that statement has ever been expressed, it has been utter bullshit.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

I missed the birth rate talk, but I noticed people kept saying migrants are slowing down the process in Europe. A lot of Eurogoons tell me it is harming them since most migrants coming into Europe are unskilled and want to be on the dole.

Oh heck yeah. People love doing nothing. They love it. Having no money and nothing to do. Immigrants just want to stare at a wall and get bricks thrown through their windows. They think it's a right laugh. I went up to one once. I asked him "mate, do you watch Game of Thrones?" and he said he didn't know what it was. Multiculturism is a lie.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Kilroy posted:

Every time in human history that statement has ever been expressed, it has been utter bullshit.

I keep telling them that Somali immigrants integrate and do well in Minneapolis and in Canada as oppose to the ones in their countries so it is possible but they keep yelling at me and say I'm dumb for comparing apples and oranges.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

A lot of Eurogoons believe racist myths. Immigrants are generally beneficial to public services as they tend to be of working age rather than children or elderly.

You were right to be suspicious.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

a good litmus test is asking them about the romani

i've had well-educated European "liberals" that are nominally open to immigration and refugees, and tell me with a straight face that the romani are thievish etc. and not to be trusted

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

punk rebel ecks posted:

I keep telling them that Somali immigrants integrate and do well in Minneapolis and in Canada as oppose to the ones in their countries so it is possible but they keep yelling at me and say I'm dumb for comparing apples and oranges.

They're the dumb ones. It's actually an excellent comparison. For all the very real issues with this sort of thing in the US and Canada, the fact is that immigrants (and specifically Muslim immigrants in this debate) are integrated into society much better than in many parts of Europe, say France for example, and you can see the huge difference it makes. There's very little homegrown immigrant terrorism in the US, immigrant communities tend to be a lot better off. You don't have hopeless Muslim ghettos with 30% unemployment in the US. We have rural West Virginia for that.

I mean after twenty years of Emperor Trump who knows but historically, as many problems as there are with US immigration, in the longer term it tends to work out well for everyone involved. Immigrant group X integrates and becomes part of the country and the racist pricks move on to hating group Y, usually with a bunch of the previously hated X group helping out in the hate.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Speak for yourself, I'm still mad about them letting the Irish in.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

They're the dumb ones. It's actually an excellent comparison. For all the very real issues with this sort of thing in the US and Canada, the fact is that immigrants (and specifically Muslim immigrants in this debate) are integrated into society much better than in many parts of Europe, say France for example, and you can see the huge difference it makes. There's very little homegrown immigrant terrorism in the US, immigrant communities tend to be a lot better off. You don't have hopeless Muslim ghettos with 30% unemployment in the US. We have rural West Virginia for that.

I mean after twenty years of Emperor Trump who knows but historically, as many problems as there are with US immigration, in the longer term it tends to work out well for everyone involved. Immigrant group X integrates and becomes part of the country and the racist pricks move on to hating group Y, usually with a bunch of the previously hated X group helping out in the hate.

When I tell them this, they get mad and say "but the U.S. filters people and is bigger than European countries!". When I point out it is the same refugees and that they are concentrated to specific places, they tell me I'm stupid and don't understand.

It's very telling with some of the problems though. For example in the U.S. and Canada the immigrants are primarily aided by organizations ran by people of the same culture. In contrast, Europe has the existing government branches assist the immigrants which leads to culture clashes. When I point this out, the Eurogoons and the like tell me it has to be the existing government services to aid them as that will help them integrate with the country's culture more.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Perhaps you should find some less racist friends.

Edit: Welfare in most countries is a poo poo life that would not be acceptable to most people. It's basically enough so you can eat and have a (lovely) roof over your head. Most people aren't risking their lives to flee their country so they can be as poor as they were in the place they left.

LyonsLions fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Aug 30, 2017

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I have a few acquaintances who work in the customs and immigration department in Hong Kong and one of them was the previous director of immigration in Hong Kong. They sometimes rub shoulders with their counterparts from other countries to network and all. It's part of their job to process immigration, protect the border, and follow whatever social policy.

Anecdotally they all love biometric tracking, and tough border controls. Schengen in their eyes from what I hear is a big bureaucratic mess about citizenship and residency status. They feel that they are "chained by UN human rights obligations", see immigration as a net burden for their limited funded department. Basically being in that job makes them all dislike refugees and brown people. They enforce the status quo and over time turn to closet racist pricks using dog whistle code words.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

caberham posted:

I have a few acquaintances who work in the customs and immigration department in Hong Kong and one of them was the previous director of immigration in Hong Kong. They sometimes rub shoulders with their counterparts from other countries to network and all. It's part of their job to process immigration, protect the border, and follow whatever social policy.

Anecdotally they all love biometric tracking, and tough border controls. Schengen in their eyes from what I hear is a big bureaucratic mess about citizenship and residency status. They feel that they are "chained by UN human rights obligations", see immigration as a net burden for their limited funded department. Basically being in that job makes them all dislike refugees and brown people. They enforce the status quo and over time turn to closet racist pricks using dog whistle code words.

Oh man. Wherever you go, people are all the same.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
https://twitter.com/themainichi/status/903487582750728192

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Setsumei shite kudasai.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Grouchio posted:

Setsumei shite kudasai.

Maehara is from the conservative wing of the Democratic Party. The party is going to go from having minimal ideological differences from the LDP to having zero ideological differences from the LDP. They're going to run on being more modest and circumspect than the LDP and evaporate like a fart in the wind. The remnants will roll into Koike's national party (whenever that forms) and maybe some new center-left party.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

caberham posted:

It's like Home Secretaries in the UK; they might start out sane but after a while they all turn into swivel-eyed paranoids with an unhealthy interest in biometrics.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 1, 2017

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mr. Fix It posted:

Maehara is from the conservative wing of the Democratic Party. The party is going to go from having minimal ideological differences from the LDP to having zero ideological differences from the LDP. They're going to run on being more modest and circumspect than the LDP and evaporate like a fart in the wind. The remnants will roll into Koike's national party (whenever that forms) and maybe some new center-left party.
I watched an interview with someone from the DPJ several years ago where they specifically said, "yeah we lost because people realized we're just not-the-ldp but we're really working on that!"

Oh well.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Beefeater1980 posted:

It's like Home Secretaries in the UK; they might start out sane but after a while they all turn into swivel-eyed paranoids with an unhealthy interest in biometrics.

In full fairness: Their job is literally to ask "How many terrorists are running loose in our country right now" every day. Paranoia is not necessarily the worst trait for them. It is the job of parliament to keep them in check.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

ArchangeI posted:

In full fairness: Their job is literally to ask "How many terrorists are running loose in our country right now" every day. Paranoia is not necessarily the worst trait for them. It is the job of parliament to keep them in check.

Well a lot of the time their job is also "our citizens don't want foreigners living here except as otherwise absolutely necessary, how do we make that happen". In fact probably more often than the terrorist thing.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mr. Fix It posted:

It would be (will be) very funny if/when Abe leaves next year and is replaced by a more liberal, Fumio Kishida and Taro Kono administration, that probably shelves constitutional revision, improves relations with South Korea, implements a no-America TPP with SE Asia, maybe legalizes gay marriage for a PR coup with Western liberal commentators, leaving this LDP as the most liberal party in the Diet, against Koike's populist neo-fascists and what remains of the DP that chose to ally with it

Very funny indeed

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 1, 2017

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Japan is easily the best candidate for a fascist takeover amongst developed countries, imo.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Stringent posted:

Japan is easily the best candidate for a fascist takeover amongst developed countries, imo.
Bullshit that's Hungary.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Stringent posted:

lol what does that even mean

and Israel takes the trophy anyway

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grouchio posted:

Bullshit that's Hungary.

Is Hungary developed?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Stringent posted:

Is Hungary developed?
.....Almost there.
Sweden then.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Japan has a well-funded, well-organized ultra right wing with a narrative focused on scapegoating a fairly powerless minority. It has strong ties to and tacit approval from the people running the country, and the only even slightly organized opposition it faces are people who go out and march against nuclear power because Japan got nuked in WW2.

Japan could go full fascist inside of two weeks, all that's lacking is a cassus belli.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Not really.

There's a pretty good recent article in the Nikkei Journal which put forth the argument that Japan hasn't been hit by the wave of populism sweeping through the West because of its homogeneous population and a economic structure that's less (obviously) unequal. More structurally, the Japanese media establishment is quite left-leaning and you don't see a build-up of fake news media outlets warping local politics as you do in the West.

People were worried about Abe presaging a new era of nationalism but that obviously hasn't panned out.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Ah yes, the left leaning Japanese media establishment. A bulwark against fascism to be sure.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I guess I don't get where you're going with this.

Why is Japan the most likely to be taken over fascists? How do they compare with Israel, an actual apartheid state that will likely go full-blown fascist to continue its occupation of Palestine.

Who is the "Other" that fascists will target? Immigration is non-existent and there's no common sense on the ground of the native culture being taken over that drove the Trump phenomenon or Brexit.

Why has Abe's manifesto, full of nationalist bait, failed so comprehensively?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I didn't say it was the most likely to be taken over by fascists. Rather I'd say that Japan is the most likely to turn to fascism in the face of a credible internal or external threat.