Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If the devs wanted Fringilla to be good they'd have her give extra strength to the unit she's altering. These cards are designed with gigni/scorch in mind.

I also don't know what big bronzes and silvers you're talking about. I'm not sure what big bronzes people aren't running because they're afraid of gigni. You don't see discard/reveal/mulligan ever passing up on their payoff cards because they're afraid a single one of their three clan dimoun pirate captains will get removed by a 4 str gold card.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
Reveal isn't held back by scorch effects, it's held back by being a worse version of discard.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Letho has the potential to be disgustingly powerful if he can be scorch/Igni'd.

edit: Holy poo poo, Imperia Brigades are now agile. They fixed the single worst part about spy nilfgaard!

Subvisual Haze fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 24, 2017

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Hey guys, I dabbled with Gwent when the open beta was released and stuck around until shortly after the first balancing patch of open beta, which I guess was the "Weather Update" even though it didn't do much to weather that I remember (other than RNR and Drought). I stepped away due to a new job and moving cross-country, so I haven't been keeping up with the game at all since then. Has anything particularly notable changed? I'm trying to dig through patch notes to see what's what, but it's a lot to go through.

The big takes I can see is that weather was changed (again), more stuff is Agile, Imperial Golems play better with John Calveit (again), a ton of things got strength changes, and there were some UI improvements for mulligans. Anything else substantial?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Some fuckhead must have streamed a Dagon deck using Wild Hunt Hounds because I've just faced the same deck 5 times in a row.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Class Warcraft posted:

Some fuckhead must have streamed a Dagon deck using Wild Hunt Hounds because I've just faced the same deck 5 times in a row.

:same:

Actually caused my third defeat with a discard cerys deck too. I'd probably have better luck with some dagon variation, but honestly that deck is so non-interactive and looks dreadfully loving boring. At least discard you're juggling a bunch of different things to synchronize. Dagon monsters decks seem to me, having not played monsters since the CB, like you're just slamming down a shitton of bodies and weathers down. There's not nearly as much excitement.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Class Warcraft posted:

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/28076-swims-get-to-4200-deck

Courtesy of Swim, Gwent's #1 taste-maker. Not for nothing, weather monsters is very reliable. It's hard to counter or disrupt because it works via a balance of units and damage, so it isn't vulnerable to most removal, you enable your potions/commander's horn easily, and you can always play more weather than your opponent can clear. It also lets you take a very non-committal approach since you don't have strict goals or win conditions, so you can pass any time in round one and if your opponent wants to bleed you in round two, you just keep farting out more carryover.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

That loving deck has made me totally stall at 4k. I've had a positive win rate in all my other match ups with Dashgaard, but I just can't reliably beat Dagon. I keep losing by like 3-5 points with no idea what I did wrong. Probably loving up my passing game or playing weather clear early or something, but I just don't know. Any tips?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Playing against Dagon with NG seems like kind of an uphill battle, since they have great carryover and you have none, and your round 3 Borkh is kind of anemic if they don't give you any large targets. I don't play much NG personally, but just generally speaking, Dagon can be vulnerable to early tempo, so you can probably get a good pass if you win the coin flip, dump your Pikemen, leader, Ciri: Dash, and maybe an alchemist or two, then get out before your opponent puts too much carryover in play and accumulates much weather damage. Consider using Cantarella in round one to gain card advantage if you lost the coin flip, or if you won, force your opponent into a situation where they either play two cards down or pass, giving you the chance to take the round on even cards. Of course, only play Canta like this when you're able to win with a single card if your opponent passes.

Standard Bearer is also a high tempo play if it removes Foglets, so you definitely want two of them if you're seeing a lot of Dagon at your MMR. Most monsters decks don't run a third fog, so you should be in good shape if you have one for the leader fog and one for Woodland Spirit. If you're running Vanhemar too, you obviously don't cast clear skies unless you're getting two rows with it, and you may be better off taking a large Tremors instead anyway. Consider adding a Lacerate (cut a Rot Tosser if you use them) since those can find a lot of value.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, I switched back to two standard bearers (really don't want to have to put a third in) and I've tried the tempo Cant stuff with mixed results. I think I'm losing too much tempo with pikes and Octvist getting killed/locked and over playing round one. I'll try being more strategic, but I think this will always be a fairly rough match up.

Might have to switch to a less control-oriented deck.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Duckbag posted:

I'll try being more strategic, but I think this will always be a fairly rough match up.

Might have to switch to a less control-oriented deck.

I didn't want to just say abandon your deck, but yeah, you could always switch to something like Discard or Henselt until you break past the mass of Dagons.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Dorfs have reasonable success against Dagon too. I think a couple of the very top of ladder people run full Dorfs.

Just don't get too comfortable with them. The upcoming Resilency unit reset nerf next patch will destroy Dorfs.

http://gwentlemen.com/matchup-guide-discard-skellige-vs-weather-monster/ - a pretty crazy detailed writeup from Gwentlemen on the matchup between Discard Skellige and weather Dagon. Discard puts up a good fight, but the current cardset just gives Dagon too many tricks (Becker's Twisted Mirror and Caretaker leading the bullshit charge).

Skellige Axemen might be the only deck that specifically plays well against Dagon at the moment. Even with them though it's a very tight fight.

Dagon is just too good at...everything. It has weather, enemy removal, control of positioning, effortless carryover, graveyard hate, Becker's sniping of high value units, multiple high value finishers, and swarm cards to easily enable potions and commander's horn buffs.

Subvisual Haze fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 24, 2017

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Subvisual Haze posted:

Dorfs have reasonable success against Dagon too. I think a couple of the very top of ladder people run full Dorfs.

Just don't get too comfortable with them. The upcoming Resilency unit reset nerf next patch will destroy Dorfs.

What resiliency reset? Also, thank god. Dorfs are perhaps more irritating than Dagon decks.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

What resiliency reset? Also, thank god. Dorfs are perhaps more irritating than Dagon decks.

Buffs drop after each round, unit resets to base value

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Buffs drop after each round, unit resets to base value

Just to clarify: they reset if buffed only. So if a unit is damaged to 1 value, it'll still just carryover 1 value. If it's buffed above its base strength, it will reset down to its base strength.

Which is nice, because dwarfs were an annoying example of a match you could not win if you didn't have the correct cards. As a couple videos note though, carryover is actually most valuable in small numbers. Just carrying over 6-9 value between rounds (like discard SK or monsters commonly do) is enough to prevent an opponent from drypassing a round and gaining a card advantage, which is enormously useful. This change by itself does nothing at all about the small value that most top decks use to great efficacy.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Swapped from Dashgaard back to SK QG and broke 4K. Somehow three of my last five games were draws, one of them ending with a huge Reaver mathsplosion which left us both on 131.

Most satisfying win was against a Kambi deck where he'd shackled my Cerys on an earlier round. I rezzed Cerys with Sigrdrifa to remove the lock on the turn before the bird exploded and then played my final card, a priestess, putting four Queensguards and Cerys back onto the board with just enough power to win.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Subvisual Haze posted:

http://gwentlemen.com/matchup-guide-discard-skellige-vs-weather-monster/ - a pretty crazy detailed writeup from Gwentlemen on the matchup between Discard Skellige and weather Dagon. Discard puts up a good fight, but the current cardset just gives Dagon too many tricks (Becker's Twisted Mirror and Caretaker leading the bullshit charge).

Skellige Axemen might be the only deck that specifically plays well against Dagon at the moment. Even with them though it's a very tight fight.

Dagon is just too good at...everything. It has weather, enemy removal, control of positioning, effortless carryover, graveyard hate, Becker's sniping of high value units, multiple high value finishers, and swarm cards to easily enable potions and commander's horn buffs.

Yea bekkers twisted mirror is the bane of the skellige vs. dagon match up. Being able to take the value of a whole pirate captain and swap it with your stupid foglet strength is obsurd. I'm thinking it should get a nerf at some point.

Caretaker is another one of those cards that is just basically impossible to avoid if you have a skirmisher in the graveyard. Not putting a skirmisher in the trash with bran is a pretty good idea though, I might try that.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
In my experience you want to max out the tempo with bran by always doing cerys and mork/raider or two raiders. The skirmisher is not key to your success and is vulnerable to graveyard hate, while winning round 1 is pretty key to your strategy and a four power bran play is a really good way to fall enormously behind.

E: that goes for any match up not just dagon.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Cards like scorch, bekkers, and to a lesser degree dbc are cool and good because they're only useful if you are behind

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Normal Adult Human posted:

Cards like scorch, bekkers, and to a lesser degree dbc are cool and good because they're only useful if you are behind

All good btm is poo poo

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Normal Adult Human posted:

What? That isn't true at all. I don't know what "dbc" is but scorch and bekker only have to do with the maximum and minimum point value on the board. If I'm playing swarm monsters I can be winning and make the game hopeless for you by swapping your 17 strength pirate captain with my 2 strength foglet. Where did you get this idea?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

If monsters (dagon) wasnt goos at everything bekkers would be alright as a monsters special card but with everything else it's another piss take

Edit. Was going to correct goos to good but gently caress it. Dagon is a goos.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I think dbc= dun banner cavalry, but I sort of disagree on that one because it's pretty easy to draw them out if you went second and have thaler. At that point you're up two cards and only behind like ten points, so you were never really "behind."

Just another reason why going first loving blows in this game.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

BTM and Light Cavalry both require specific circumstances and you generally have to engineer them yourself. Speaking as someone who plays with DBLC, 90% of the time they come out, it was because I used my spy at the right time. Occasionally, I'll get them for "free" because my opponent made a huge swing play, but that's counterbalanced by all the times when they hosed with my draws. Bekker's, on the other hand, requires the highly specific scenario where you're playing Monsters, and you opponent isn't playing Monsters.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Becker's is kind of a perfect "we didn't really test this poo poo" card. Oops, you put all the cards that generate multiple 1 value units in a single faction.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Well also btm completely breaks the power curve. With how common spotters et al. are you can't help but open yourself up to a 30+ point swing. Imagine getting a 30 point gigni, poo poo barely ever happens. But play against reveal, discard, mulligan, DBPS, dorfs or reaver hunters and you'll get more than 30 every time.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Magic Underwear posted:

Well also btm completely breaks the power curve. With how common spotters et al. are you can't help but open yourself up to a 30+ point swing. Imagine getting a 30 point gigni, poo poo barely ever happens. But play against reveal, discard, mulligan, DBPS, dorfs or reaver hunters and you'll get more than 30 every time.

they're changing all the "finisher" cards (i.e. spotters, pirate captains, reaver hunters, etc.)

they're also changing BTM because they don't like how it can swing games completely in the other player's favor

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

General Morden posted:

they're changing all the "finisher" cards (i.e. spotters, pirate captains, reaver hunters, etc.)

they're also changing BTM because they don't like how it can swing games completely in the other player's favor

I like to call them "swell" cards because they seem to swell up in strength throughout the entire game.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Wow just realized how OP gold cards are after playing a scorch scoiatel deck that only played golds for the last round as I weathered his entire field of play with Dagon. What a completely ridiculous strategy. I'm so glad that they're fixing golds tomorrow.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Guys I did it, just in time :v:

Rank 21 Goondmaster

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Wasn't having any luck with my Bloody Baron Radovid around 4000. Dagon was supposed to be my best matchup, but I hadn't beaten one in like 3 days because Commander's Horn, Immune Boost and Thunderbolt Potion in combination with a shitload of easily-spawned tokens is broken as gently caress. Who would've thought? So switched to literally the first discard skellige I could build off the top of my head. Like 10 games later:

shrugging intensifies

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
nothing more enjoyable than two spell'tael decks meeting in the wild.

thrilling to see 2 people flinging special cards at an empty board

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Season end rewards have been distributed. I have 1510 ore and 25 unopened kegs waiting for the new patch.

Feels goodman

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
My favorite argument to people who don't play gwent but play HS is that regardless of your taste in game design, have you ever been given 18 packs for free in bulk.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
29 kegs and 5600 ore myself; haven't opened a keg in ages. 4900 scraps as well, plus I'll get tons more from all the nerfed cards I'll no doubt get in kegs.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Dev Stream on new patch starting now

https://www.twitch.tv/cdprojektred

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Are these final? The power creep is kind of absurd. Base bronze power is now at least 10+slight upside and several of them duplicate and obsolete existing silvers. Weird choice so early in the life of the game.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
whoever the non-CDPR guy is, he's like completely emotionless and lifeless

it's pretty amazing

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
glossed over all the new scoiatael cards without even showing them :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

General Morden posted:

whoever the non-CDPR guy is, he's like completely emotionless and lifeless

it's pretty amazing

They're both CDPR guys, Burza is the communiy manager or something. He spent the last days organising their booth and tourney at Gamescon so he did look a bit beat.

Up Circle posted:

glossed over all the new scoiatael cards without even showing them :(

Farseer - SCO, Bronze, 8 Strength, Agile, Loyal, Elf, Mage.
If any Ally or Unit in your Hand or Deck is Boosted during your turn, Boost self by 2 at the end of the turn.

Sage - SCO, Bronze, 3 Strength, Siege, Loyal, Elf, Mage.
Resurrect a Bronze Alchemy or Spell card.

Mahakam Pyrotechnician - SCO, Bronze, 5 Strength, Agile, Loyal, Dwarf, Support.
Deploy: Damage a random Unit on each Row on the other side by 3.

Mahakam Marauder - SCO, Bronze, 8 Strength, Agile, Loyal, Soldier, Dwarf.
Whenever this Unit is Boosted, Damaged, Strengthened or Weakened, Boost it by 2.

Dwarven Agitator - SCO, Bronze, 3 Strength, Agile, Loyal, Dwarf.
Deploy: Spawn a Base Copy of a random different Bronze Dwarf in your Deck.