Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
Well look at that, it's exactly the same garbage everyone expected it to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I honestly don't know why they love shooting themselves in the foot, but I'll be damned if they aren't amazing at it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bholder posted:

At least the items seem to be included naturally rather than just putting them into your inventory.

Actually several of them say it just puts them in your inventory :v:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Gonkish posted:

Three pip-boy skins! Sold separately! :allears:
A black power armor skin?! REALLY?
You'd think they would have learned from the Steam-paid-mods debacle and featured some quality content first so the whole doesn't immediately look like a joke. But nope, here are some lovely, low-effort reskin. Gimme your money! I mean Credits (that are in no way meant to distance you from real money and trick you into spending more then you'd want to).

Creation Club FAQ posted:

If I’m accepted to be a Creator, what can I create and what is the dev process?
Creators are required to submit documentation pitches which go through an approval process. All content must be new and original. Once a concept is approved, a development schedule with Alpha, Beta and Release milestones is created. Creations go through our full development pipeline, which Creators participate in. Bethesda Game Studios developers work with Creators to iterate and polish their work along with full QA cycles. The content is fully localized, as well. This ensures compatibility with the original game, official add-ons and achievements.
I'm legit curious what the development schedule of that black PA retexture would have looked like.

OwlFancier posted:

Actually several of them say it just puts them in your inventory :v:
This could actually be a step up from the last attempt at paid-modding.
If I recall right, the best selling mod back then was some lovely armour mod which required you using the AddItem console command to actually get the item.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Raygereio posted:

You'd think they would have learned from the Steam-paid-mods debacle and featured some quality content first so the whole doesn't immediately look like a joke. But nope, here are some lovely, low-effort reskin. Gimme your money! I mean Credits (that are in no way meant to distance you from real money and trick you into spending more then you'd want to).

But that might require them to put slightly more effort into their completely blatant money grab! Why would they do that?! :v:

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Paid Steam mods Complaints:

1. Mostly reskinned weapon mods
2. Buggy mods with no Q/A
3. Similar mods available for free elsewhere

Creation Club Complaints:

1. Mostly reskinned weapon/armor mods

Ah! Progress.

Maybe after another 2 iterations over the course of 5 years they will create a platform people will actually use.

JohnLovely
Aug 15, 2017

by Athanatos
Grimey Drawer
Why the gently caress is Bethesda doing this? They could literally have a tiny team making GBS threads this kinda stuff out in-house, and nobody would complain about the price tag. Instead they want third parties to do it for a pittance.

This is hosed.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

What are the prices for these things? Like, I see we all get 100 Bethesda Bucks at launch but what does that buy me? If, say, horse armour is 100 points and 100 points = 1 dollar, then that's fine. Stupid but fine.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I don't know if anybody noticed this yet, but Bethesda is basically managed by Torr Buckner.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Nevets posted:

Paid Steam mods Complaints:

1. Mostly reskinned weapon mods

Also that most of the larger mods that were becoming paid relied on other mods that were either also going paid or refused to be used at all in paid mods. The mod scene is immensely interconnected, with people sharing or building on other work all over the place.

JohnLovely posted:

Why the gently caress is Bethesda doing this? They could literally have a tiny team making GBS threads this kinda stuff out in-house, and nobody would complain about the price tag. Instead they want third parties to do it for a pittance.

This is hosed.

Kept TF2 going for a long time.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 28, 2017

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Gonkish posted:

I honestly don't know why they love shooting themselves in the foot, but I'll be damned if they aren't amazing at it.

How are they shooting themselves in the foot? Fallout 4 is AAA gaming, people will pay for those mods they could have grabbed for free on the nexus.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Eraflure posted:

How are they shooting themselves in the foot? Fallout 4 is AAA gaming, people will pay for those mods they could have grabbed for free on the nexus.

They already tried this before with Valve and the Mod Workshop on Skyrim. I'm guessing what happened there is Valve went "Ok this isn't going to work" and pulled the plug, Bethesda got snippy and decided to do their own mod workshop deal with Fallout 4 and Skyrim SSE so they could attempt paid mods again.
You can not add paid mods to already established modding communities and expect it to work. You might be able to do it with Elder Scrolls X: After Skyrim or Fallout 5: Now The Dog Is Voiced.
The modding community is already there and what happened last time is the paid mods were worse across the board than the free stuff. No quality control, console command required to spawn the item in your inventory, stuff like that. It also split the community and anyone that tried to go to paid mods (and get paid for their effort) were ostracized from the community.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Black paintjob? Really?

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

KakerMix posted:

They already tried this before with Valve and the Mod Workshop on Skyrim. I'm guessing what happened there is Valve went "Ok this isn't going to work" and pulled the plug, Bethesda got snippy and decided to do their own mod workshop deal with Fallout 4 and Skyrim SSE so they could attempt paid mods again.
You can not add paid mods to already established modding communities and expect it to work. You might be able to do it with Elder Scrolls X: After Skyrim or Fallout 5: Now The Dog Is Voiced.
The modding community is already there and what happened last time is the paid mods were worse across the board than the free stuff. No quality control, console command required to spawn the item in your inventory, stuff like that. It also split the community and anyone that tried to go to paid mods (and get paid for their effort) were ostracized from the community.

It didn't work only because Steam pulled the plug. In a few weeks, paid mods detractors will either cave in and buy themselves a new gun or forget the whole thing entirely. Gamers are extremely easy to fleece, DLCs and season passes which were supposed to never take off are now common practice, people are still buying spaceships for the very impending release of Star Citizen and they will pay for Official Nexus Ripoffs© too. Bethesda already sugar coated the whole thing by mentioning those are very high quality mods verified by their QA team (lmao), so people who are still on the fence can rationalize their purchase that way.
Not to mention the whole console/casual part of the market who don't even know the nexus exists or how to install a mod without blowing their computer up.

I would say the only bad thing that could happen to Bethesda is getting bad press for this, but, you know, gaming journalism.

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 28, 2017

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I will say that one big difference between Valve's paid mod fiasco and this one is Bethesda has alot less to lose. Valve tried to partially monetize an existing modding platform & ended up angering both content consumers and content creators, which risked affecting their much larger & more profitable userbase of hat buyers and backlog junkies; so they did damage control & shut it down.

Bethesda doesn't care about losing face with potential customers becuase what are they going to do, NOT buy TESVI ? Doubftful. It's alot easier to avoid Steam and buy all your game keys from Amazon / GMG / Origin / etc. than to boycott all games from an entire publisher/developer. My guess is that they'll keep running this Creators Club long after it's obviously dead, just to avoid the obvious headline reminding everyone that it existed in the first place.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I'm fine with still buying their games as long as they don't go full SEGA/CA and start releasing half baked piles of poo poo (or rather, intentionally half baked piles of poo poo) and then charge three times the price in DLC to add in lovely content.

But gently caress if I'm paying for crappy-rear end mods.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Eraflure posted:

It didn't work only because Steam pulled the plug. In a few weeks, paid mods detractors will either cave in and buy themselves a new gun or forget the whole thing entirely. Gamers are extremely easy to fleece, DLCs and season passes which were supposed to never take off are now common practice, people are still buying spaceships for the very impending release of Star Citizen and they will pay for Official Nexus Ripoffs© too. Bethesda already sugar coated the whole thing by mentioning those are very high quality mods verified by their QA team (lmao), so people who are still on the fence can rationalize their purchase that way.
Not to mention the whole console/casual part of the market who don't even know the nexus exists or how to install a mod without blowing their computer up.

I would say the only bad thing that could happen to Bethesda is getting bad press for this, but, you know, gaming journalism.

It isn't going to work because Bethesda wants to make money. They don't want to invest in making it so content creators have an easy time with it to create content that makes them money, they want to do as little work as possible to profit off of the work other people do. Because of this the paid modding content is, at best, going to be as good as the free stuff. Star Citizen is a different beast than Skyrim or Fallout 4 mods so I don't think that's a fair comparison. Gamers are easy to fleece but you have to convince them it's a good idea first. Mods already exist and they are free and there are cliques and voting brigades and fan clubs around certain modders and a community that already exists. Now Bethesda wants to come in and tax everyone while not actually contributing anything themselves and it's on that reason alone it won't work. Bethesda has to be a part of the community first, and not be like that picture of Steve Buscemi with the skateboard on his back saying "How do you do, fellow mod creators?"

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
The items that do have quests for them literally just auto-start and point you to a pre-existing crate in a dungeon/exterior and tells you to get it. That's it.

I kind of can't believe just how badly they messed this up. The prices are 4 times what would be considered reasonable for a cosmetic microtransaction. The Steam Workshop paid mods thing was an *infinitely* better deal for both mod authors and mod users. None of the content here is worth what they're charging and if they intend to put out better quality content in the future, they really need to get a trailer or something out there with some concrete details.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

what are the prices roughly translated to real money?

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

1 dollar = 100 toddbux

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
So what's keeping people from taking these paid mods and uploading them elsewhere for folks that don't wanna cough up real money for a backpack?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Capn Beeb posted:

So what's keeping people from taking these paid mods and uploading them elsewhere for folks that don't wanna cough up real money for a backpack?

If it's like last time, fuckin nothing and this will for sure happen

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Also, apparently all of the created "content" is considered property of Bethesda, meaning that the author doesn't get credit. However, it seems they get paid over a the course of a development contract.

The shotgun on there is made by asXas, who has done a number of weapon mods on the nexus (like the crude blowback and handmade revolver). He can't tell people what he got paid, but he did say it was "better than minimum wage in Sweden", whatever that means.

But I haven't seen anything regarding people uploading any of that elsewhere. I'm sure Bethesda would try to nip that before it became an issue, but can they really stop it? Probably not. So essentially what they've accomplished is to generate bad PR for no reason while forcing a very public failure on themselves. I feel like there's some shithead MBA somewhere at zenimax who thinks he can sell water to a fish, and is forcing this poo poo down everyone's throat to prove his obvious genius.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Wait they are doing the paid mods thing again?

And they are doing it with a game with a pre-established modding community spanning multiple years that is not open to change again?

gently caress just hire some of the best modders to make for sale mods for elder scrolls 6 day 1 to prove to people its worthwhile and can lead to quality content, and then they dont need to be compared to years of much better free poo poo.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eraflure posted:

1 dollar = 100 toddbux

Very roughly. It's like 5 dollars for 460 or something.

Gonkish posted:

He can't tell people what he got paid, but he did say it was "better than minimum wage in Sweden", whatever that means.

So the contracted modders can't tell people what they got paid? That's... weird!

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 29, 2017

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Ok, but what are the asking prices of the mods?

If each of them are at most hundred toddbux then... maybe it's worth if you are playing on PS4...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Midnight Voyager posted:

So the contracted modders can't tell people what they got paid? That's... weird!

Not really surprising given that was part of the reason for the shitstorm.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Seems like PS4 is the only platform that would want to bite at this, because Sony is so spooked of giving root access that they otherwise hosed mods on PS4.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

So I won't give any detail because I guess that falls under :filez: but apparently people have found a way to rip off the assets from all the mods available so far, without buying them of course. Truly a quality feature.

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 29, 2017

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Midnight Voyager posted:

That's a standard contract term for this sort of thing. If modders were able to openly talk about how much they were paid then when Bethesda tries to sign up a new lot of modders Bethesda couldn't try to low ball them.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL2mWGQRyX8

He mentions that there's a pack that costs $25 that nets you enough fuckybucks to get all of the content currently on this shitheap. So yeah. If you had money to burn I guess that's a thing. Basic "quest" to get it, which is literally just "go to a fort, kill the enemies there, loot a chest".

Chinese Stealth Armor: 400 credits (so ~4 bucks), not modifiable at all in-game... so already instantly worse than the mod on the nexus.

Backpack: 400 credits. Actually seems to have some work put into it, stuff affects carry weight/reload/healing, etc. Whether or not that's worth it is up to you.

Morgan's Space Suit: 300 credits. No quest, instantly appears in your inventory. Not modifiable in any way. Wee.

Pip-boy paint jobs: 50 credits each. They're skins for your pipboy. Woo. :smith:

Black Power Armor Paintjob: 100 credits. It's black paint. For your power armor. Wee. Thrilling.

Homemade Shotgun: 200 credits. Looks neat, is functionally the double-barrel. Apparently includes it in leveled lists, but also dumps one in your inventory. Not really sure it's worth two bucks.

Prototype Gauss Rifle: 400 credits. Uses the laser musket animations and cranking mechanic, for some reason. Whatever, it looks nice, and I guess you get it by killing a gunner at Gunner Plaza.

Modern Furniture Pack: 300 credits. Three bucks. For chairs. And rugs. Why?

Hellfire Power Armor: 500 credits. It's the Hellfire Armor from FO3. Nothing special in terms of mods available to it.

Horse Armor meme power armor: 250 credits. I don't even know at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciSAyylZjfM
Here's a video of Gopher ranting about all of this.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Some of those are definitely mods I would maybe download if they were free.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Gonkish posted:

But I haven't seen anything regarding people uploading any of that elsewhere. I'm sure Bethesda would try to nip that before it became an issue, but can they really stop it? Probably not.
So about that: I guess they thought that if they gave everyone the mods for free, there wouldn't be any piracy? Out of curiosity I signed up for the Creation Club beta, and to my surprise Steam began downloading a whole bunch of .ba2 files. I opened them and everything seems to be there. The only thing missing is the plugin, which you can easily make yourself. What the gently caress, Bethesda.:psyduck:

It doesn't do this with the mods on Bethesda.net, so maybe this is somehow necessary for it to work on the PS4?

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah this is what I was talking about. You're basically paying toddbux for the .esp. You could get those pip-boy recolors working for free in like 5 minutes even without any modding experience. This poo poo is still going to sell.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I would download the guns if they were on the nexus but i don't want to buy them, and have no interest in the rest, so I guess i'll stay out of the creation club for now. Hope you enjoyed reading my review of what's come out so far.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

By all accounts, the guns are unremarkable. The shotgun has a cool look, but functionally it's pretty much just the double barrel. The gauss rifle is basically a model swap with the laser musket, and changes the ammo to the gauss ammo.

Pretty, but basic.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

There are two pipe shotgun mods on the workshop anyways.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Strange, you'd almost think monetising other peoples work was something Bethesda would avoid, as they freak their poo poo out if anyone else tries to do it.

Are Either of those shotties as nice as the Widow Shotgun?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can anyone here recommend a creation kit tutorial? I looked at the super basic ones on the wiki, and they weren't very helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say that most if these were probably made very quickly as a proof of concept and to get the system out the door. Wait until the next wave to actually go "yeah they're poo poo at QA".

I don't inherently think paid mods is a bad idea, and this system seems like the most likely to have a chance AT working. Like, Cities Skylines does something similar - pay four pound for a pack of building models done by a contracted modder.

Are any of these even done by modders, or are they "official" Bethesda mods?