Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
We've got to stop Obama from making it so he can declare martial law so easily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Is this guy taking people for a ride and earning money off of idiots who like hearing that crap and doesn't actually believe it or is he foreal? because he should know he'd be among the first ones deported, in chains, or in the oven if the Nazi's had anything to say about it. Secondly... I wouldn't count missionary for the father land to produce new ubermench bohemian. :cripes:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I look at that tweet and think of Ernst Rohm and start laughing hysterically

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dinesh wants a pardon. His time in the cushy halfway house they sent him to was just a hell on earth, that he got to leave during the day.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Uh.

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/902270127110049793

Donald Trump was handed a prime opportunity to deploy word salad and instead he deployed a word meatball.

Now he's reading a list of lovely pardons.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/902270604912582664

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

The Finnish President's face during Trump's tirade was priceless.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Handsome Ralph posted:

The realization, the most powerful army in the world, with enough nukes to bring the current world order to an ignoble end. Is controlled by an orange child.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Handsome Ralph posted:

Xfhbdjfdhvsjjvg

https://twitter.com/evanmcmurry/status/902272188107055104

We can't take him anywhere.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Handsome Ralph posted:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's a federal felony punishable by up to five years, which is pretty severe. My guess would be that they don't want to prove mens rea for aggravated assault or attempted homicide, or open the door to a self defense claim.

I don't think any of those are specific crimes in South Carolina.

I think he's charged in state court, it carries 2-10 years there. Good point on the additional elements for intent, but the statute has an exception for defense of life or property.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Isn't it standard practice to charge people with all of the above and get them on what you can? At least when you're not empathizing with the neo-nazi, I guess.
Charging is at the prosecutor's discretion. To figure out if there's anything unsavory about a particular charging decision, it helps to know the prosecutor's/office's practice. Overcharging is a dick move and shouldn't be encouraged. In this case, I could see also charging the guy with attempted malicious shooting with intent to maim.

KildarX posted:

Looked it up and you're right the only other law South Carolina has that could be applied is about pointing guns at other people, which is a felony that carries five years.

I also learned that making Teflon coated ammo is illegal which led me to look at what Teflon coated ammo is for an hour.
But Charlottesville is in VA.
However, the laws appear similar, the only other straight-faced* applicable crime is Brandishing/pointing a firearm - misdemeanor, or 1-5 years w/in 1000 feet of a school.
Until you consider attempts, and you can charge attempted:
murder 1, 2,
maliciously shooting with intent to maim or kill,
shooting with intent to maim or kill, without malice.

Here is a list of VA crimes if you want to go looking

*If you want to get wacky,
attempted shooting by mob,
turn that or the other attempts into terrorism charges.

Zeroisanumber posted:

https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/902245776977518594
I admit that my knowledge of man-law isn't that great, but I don't think that's how pardons work.
It's not how Arpaio's pardon works, but with a more artfully written pardon, you could definitely make the argument.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

joat mon posted:

I think he's charged in state court, it carries 2-10 years there. Good point on the additional elements for intent, but the statute has an exception for defense of life or property.

Charging is at the prosecutor's discretion. To figure out if there's anything unsavory about a particular charging decision, it helps to know the prosecutor's/office's practice. Overcharging is a dick move and shouldn't be encouraged. In this case, I could see also charging the guy with attempted malicious shooting with intent to maim.

But Charlottesville is in VA.
However, the laws appear similar, the only other straight-faced* applicable crime is Brandishing/pointing a firearm - misdemeanor, or 1-5 years w/in 1000 feet of a school.
Until you consider attempts, and you can charge attempted:
murder 1, 2,
maliciously shooting with intent to maim or kill,
shooting with intent to maim or kill, without malice.

Here is a list of VA crimes if you want to go looking

*If you want to get wacky,
attempted shooting by mob,
turn that or the other attempts into terrorism charges.

It's not how Arpaio's pardon works, but with a more artfully written pardon, you could definitely make the argument.

What's different between this and the cases cited in that document?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

Start the clock until Officer Porkpouch in Podunk County mistakes HEDP for a gas round and disperses a crowd all over the place.

or worse, mistakes a gas round for Hed PE

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

joat mon posted:

Nope. Legally, it will always be an admission of guilt, no matter how you word it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CommieGIR posted:

Nope. Legally, it will always be an admission of guilt, no matter how you word it.

Eh not necessarily. There was an FDR pardon that Joat pointed out in another thread that was given because he thought the man was genuinely innocent.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

joat mon posted:

I'm not saying it's a good practice to charge suspects with anything and everything, but it's telling when some poor black dude gets 17 counts of intent to distribute but suddenly we need to be careful about overcharging when neo-nazis or police officers shoot at someone.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
You throw everything at a poor black guy and then let his public defender tell him to accept a plea on 3 of the charges just so he can get out of jail sometime this century.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I'm not saying it's a good practice to charge suspects with anything and everything, but it's telling when some poor black dude gets 17 counts of intent to distribute but suddenly we need to be careful about overcharging when neo-nazis or police officers shoot at someone.

:same:

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
https://twitter.com/martyn_williams/status/902277210337402884

do it already, motherfuckers

EDIT: https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/902278777895575554

aww no nuclear holocaust today :(

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

And the relevant prosecutor has done this repeatedly to black people?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Tremblay posted:

And the relevant prosecutor has done this repeatedly to black people?

#NotAllCops

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

If the Norks do end up nuking (or trying to nuke) something, is there any option besides 'kiss Pyongyang goodbye' ?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Jesus I just had a moment where I thought "if I leave now I can probably make it back to Vancouver to die in the nuclear blaze with my family".

What the gently caress is with this timeline :stare:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I hope the first one hits hiroshima for that George lucas "it's like poetry, it rhymes" kinda feeling

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

So glad everything's going great like Tillerson said it would.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

KildarX posted:

Is this guy taking people for a ride and earning money off of idiots who like hearing that crap and doesn't actually believe it or is he foreal? because he should know he'd be among the first ones deported, in chains, or in the oven if the Nazi's had anything to say about it. Secondly... I wouldn't count missionary for the father land to produce new ubermench bohemian. :cripes:

I sadly see people I know back in Texas that repost him like it's gospel.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

KildarX posted:

He just wrote a book that proves the democratic party was founded on nazi principles and that George Soros was an SS officer during WW2 and helped exterminate Jewish people (nevermind that he was 13 when nazis invaded his country). I'm not going to link the book cause I don't want to give any kind of publicity to it

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Everything is Fine

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

He just wrote a book that proves the democratic party was founded on nazi principles and that George Soros was an SS officer during WW2 and helped exterminate Jewish people (nevermind that he was 13 when nazis invaded his country). I'm not going to link the book cause I don't want to give any kind of publicity to it

And my loving step mom posts something about Soros being a nazi officer bullshit 4chan meme and has dozens of friends chiming in to say he's the most evil man on the planet. :smith:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/902284461512966144

Looks like that virus is working pretty well lately

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Hot Karl Marx posted:

There's no point in talking to people that are so far gone they believe this poo poo. I keep a few around on Facebook to track the loving retarded talking points everyone is going to be vomiting onto the world at the exact same time in a day or two like they finally had an original thought but actually talking with them is just futile. They have chosen their reality and they will never, ever give it up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
It'll reach Guam all right. In tatters.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
loving NORK missiles flew over Japan.

Wasn't the last time they did that circa 94 or 96?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I want a 1 foot fragment to actually hit Guam, with the DPRK logo on it. It would be great casus belli.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I can't wait to see what president twitter has to say about it.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Woof Blitzer posted:

I did really great in the election!

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Woof Blitzer posted:

Right?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
NK better not!!

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

bird food bathtub posted:

There's no point in talking to people that are so far gone they believe this poo poo. I keep a few around on Facebook to track the loving retarded talking points everyone is going to be vomiting onto the world at the exact same time in a day or two like they finally had an original thought but actually talking with them is just futile. They have chosen their reality and they will never, ever give it up.

The people that post this crap on my feed won't even accept criticism of any kind toward Trump and let you know what a stupid libtard you are even if you voted R down the ballot.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Woof Blitzer posted:

Stop calling arpaio racist - donald 'The President' trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If the Nazis were democrats and the democrats were Nazis, why is it a problem for contemporary democrats to say gently caress nazis?

Are democrats not allowed to say that if they were actually Nazis ~80 years ago?

I really don't understand what it matters who founded it.

If republicans came out and said gently caress Nazis I'm not gonna be like "well you guys were Nazis back in the day" I'm gonna say good call on saying gently caress Nazis.

• Locked thread