Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

oRenj9 posted:

Zillow sent me an email with some pretty dope houseboats.

I didn't even know they made $2.9m houseboats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Too soon, dawg.

Austin's getting a lot more rain than I expected, and Franklin BBQ partially burned down Sunday morning, so we've got our problems here.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

SpelledBackwards posted:

Too soon, dawg.

Austin's getting a lot more rain than I expected, and Franklin BBQ partially burned down Sunday morning, so we've got our problems here.

Can't have storm damage if you already have everything burned down! That's GWM right there!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

balancedbias posted:

Can't have storm damage if you already have everything burned down! That's GWM right there!

Fire insurance is cheaper than flood insurance, definitely GWM

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

SpelledBackwards posted:

There were more related listicles at the bottom, like "7 things you didn't know about floating homes and houseboats."
I know I posted a video in the houseboat thread here in BFC, not sure about this thread:

CAMI Terra Wind amphibious RV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za63ltkMGGE

I'm the Times Square news ticker talking about Kobe Bryant's rape victim's overdose.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Moneyball posted:

Sounds like a good idea for a thread.

Houseboats: Trying to save money, not waste it! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748155

Ask me about living in a boat full-time https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787843

Ask me about moving onto a 36' sailboat with 0 sailing experience https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3665756 The blog moved to http://www.gudgeonblog.ca/ and he posts updates there on a regular basis.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ate all the Oreos posted:

Fire insurance is cheaper than flood insurance, definitely GWM

Which is weird, because it's easier to start a fire than a flood.

(Loosely recall an old Australian newspaper cartoon where a door to door insurance salesman offers flood insurance, and the homeowner says "Flood? How do you start a flood?")

Jake Mustache
Feb 7, 2017
Joe Rogan had Peter Schiff on his podcast last week, and the last half hour was him basically ripping into cryptocurrency and why not to do it. If the buttcoin fratbros listened there may be fewer BW(virtual)M stories in the future, but not likely.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

Floods just kinda happen to everyone at once, it's much harder to start a city-wide fire

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

ate all the Oreos posted:

Floods just kinda happen to everyone at once, it's much harder to start a city-wide fire

I wonder if flood insurance would cover the molasses disaster...

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Inescapable Duck posted:

(Loosely recall an old Australian newspaper cartoon where a door to door insurance salesman offers flood insurance, and the homeowner says "Flood? How do you start a flood?")

That's almost entirely the reason. If you have flood insurance you're much more likely to be in an area with flooding, whereas everyone, even people in the highlands can use fire insurance. So you have a much larger pool of insured who won't need a payout than with flood insurance. If there's a flood they're going to have to pay out to a higher percentage of insured homes than if there's a single home or even neighborhood-wide fire.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Just heard a commercial on Pandora for tuition insurance in case your kid sucks at college. Probably BWM since why would you pay for your kid to go to college if they're not going to stick with it?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

silvergoose posted:

I wonder if flood insurance would cover the molasses disaster...

iirc not usually, flood insurance is specific about water. But generalized disaster/damage insurance would.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Just heard a commercial on Pandora for tuition insurance in case your kid sucks at college. Probably BWM since why would you pay for your kid to go to college if they're not going to stick with it?

Wait, tuition insurance is actually a thing? What the hell?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Discendo Vox posted:

iirc not usually, flood insurance is specific about water. But generalized disaster/damage insurance would.

This raising the interesting question as to what point of concentration a liquid stops being water; I am sure that there are insurance companies that have dodged claims on the basis of 'oh well see that wasn't water that destroyed your home, that was mud/ash slurry/pigshit/orange juice'.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Slack Lagoon posted:

How do you know ahead of time if they're going to stick with it? You could sell that technique to many a parent, or even the kid themselves.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

It looked like I was going to be a stellar student and stick with college until I didn't because drugs and being a fuckup, life's weird :shrug:

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

How do you know ahead of time if they're going to stick with it? You could sell that technique to many a parent, or even the kid themselves.

Well the basic coverage only applies to medical reasons so you have to pay extra for the better plan. But the best plan only pays 50% of coverage limit for nonmedical reasons...

This information was very deeply buried on their website.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6wlnh7/auto_what_should_my_salary_be_to_purchase_a_65k/

quote:

How much should I be making before buying a car that's $65k? I live alone and my expenses are pretty much just rent, food, and a few bills here and there. I don't pay for car insurance or cell-phone bills since I'm tied into my parents' plans and they have no problems with it. I make $70k from a full-time engineering position, and I work another part-time engineering consulting position from home making $40/hr at around 10hrs/week. I'm due for a promotion at work when I get my Masters (soon) and I feel like I can pretty easily afford ~$800/month payments for a car after putting, say, $10,000 down. Do I make too little to buy this car even if I can "afford" it? how much should I be technically making before taxes to even think about buying one? I have no girlfriend or dependents or any aspirations to buy a house any-time soon, and even plan on moving to my parents in about a year to save money on rent. Chances are I won't do it, but I want to see what people here think. Anyways, thanks for any comments or advice in advance!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I skimmed it, did he ever say what car he wanted?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I skimmed it, did he ever say what car he wanted?

Now that you made me stalk him, he apparently replied to another thread with it, a 2017 Mustang GT350.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

$65k on a mustang good lord

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Droo posted:

Now that you made me stalk him, he apparently replied to another thread with it, a 2017 Mustang GT350.

Man, if you're gonna drop 65k on a car don't do it on a boring rear end Mustang.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Slack Lagoon posted:

This information was very deeply buried on their website.

Surely an oversight.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

all right in fairness the GT350 is extremely cool and good (flat plane crank V8 and an extremely sophisticated suspension) but it's a fast track weapon that you can kind of drive on the street. if you're just driving to work a $40k GT will be more fun and more comfortable.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

all right in fairness the GT350 is extremely cool and good (flat plane crank V8 and an extremely sophisticated suspension) but it's a fast track weapon that you can kind of drive on the street. if you're just driving to work a $40k GT will be more fun and more comfortable.

Also, people with a gross income of $70k per year should not buy $65k cars.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Cars are BWM

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Drunk Tomato posted:

Cars are BWM
Mr Money Mustache parachute account spotted.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Drunk Tomato posted:

Cars are BWM

Especially cars named after horses.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I love that he's on his parents insurance but doesn't seem to consider that getting a $65,000 car might alter that situation.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Where can I invest in the insurance company offering tuition insurance? Nobody ever went bankrupt fleecing the middle class by selling them the American dream. Except for a bunch of banks and insurance companies, I guess.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Paper Tiger posted:

This post is the real BWM thread MVP.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

xpost but

republicant posted:

There's a class action lawsuit against the people responsible for a ton of "free cruise" robocalls, and if your phone number is listed in the call records you can be eligible to receive $300 per call up to 3 calls.

https://www.rmgtcpasettlement.com/Home.aspx

(Website has been swamped all day today but seems to be working now.)

My phone number got a hit :getin:

BWM: paying :ten: for an account on a dead comedy forum.

GWM twist: getting a $300 payout if you didn't know you were in the database

BWM reversion to the mean: using that money to buy lingerie for your horse (original idea DO NOT STEAL)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

Also, people with a gross income of $70k per year should not buy $65k cars.

Strong concur

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Paper Tiger posted:

Cars with horse logos, the worst with money

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

therobit posted:

Where can I invest in the insurance company offering tuition insurance? Nobody ever went bankrupt fleecing the middle class by selling them the American dream. Except for a bunch of banks and insurance companies, I guess.

It sounds like it's student loan insurance that only pays out if you become disabled (if this is the same thing you're talking about):

http://blog.credit.com/2014/09/do-you-need-student-loan-insurance-96140/

quote:

The Guardian Life Insurance Company of America recently announced it is expanding its Student Loan Protection Rider on its individual disability policy so that it will be available to anyone with student loan debt applying for disability income insurance. In a press release, the company said that, “for as little as $5 per month, Guardian’s Student Loan Protection can be obtained for either a 10- or 15-year term. Applicants can help protect their ability to pay their student loans in case of disability — including undergraduate debt — from multiple sources, up to $2,000 per month. No loan documentation is required until a claim is filed.” (That estimate is the monthly additional cost for a 30-year-old male, occupation class 4M, 90-day elimination period, 15-year term, generic non-discounted rates, $500 monthly coverage.)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

brugroffil posted:

Cars with horse logos, the worst with money

You've obviously never experienced the reliability of cars with cats on their hoods.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Ashcans posted:

This raising the interesting question as to what point of concentration a liquid stops being water; I am sure that there are insurance companies that have dodged claims on the basis of 'oh well see that wasn't water that destroyed your home, that was mud/ash slurry/pigshit/orange juice'.

It's determined by when you cross Avogadro's deductible.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

It's determined by when you cross Avogadro's deductible.

That's probably around the point where adding water to your "water" has an exothermic reaction. I'm guessing a flood of concentrated sulfuric acid would not be counted as water. Anything less than that is fair game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Ashcans posted:

It goes by what initially caused the problem.

Your house catches on fire, the fire department floods your house with water to put it out. Covered because fire was the initial cause.

Hurricanes are slippery, though. Did the house just flood from water (not covered), or was the initial cause due to wind damage (often covered)? That sort of arguing can take years to resolve.