Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Jose posted:

So I just bought this and double clicking to select all of stuff isn't working. Is there an easy fix?

you can only double click to select similar items, for example if you are double clicking on the supplies that scatter as you land, it'll only select matching items. it can also be janky if there is more than one thing in a spot.

pause the game at the beginning and select the whole screen, then press F to un-forbid everything at once, if you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
There's also a mod that adds an "allow all" tool, which is nice.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Is it just me or are mortars insanely good.

Step 1: Build N-2 mortars, where N is the number of colonists you have
Step 2: Build an assload of mortar shells and have a roofed mortar shell stockpile right next to your mortars
Step 3: Turn Hold Fire on
Step 4: During peace time, Man all of the mortars (so that they are loaded), then go back to doing whatever
Step 5: Once you get a raid or siege or ship or ???, man all the mortars again (already loaded) and hit pause
Step 6: Target all mortars to the same spot and then turn Hold Fire off.
Step 7: Unpause and watch the show.

Because of the natural spread of mortar shells, targeting the same spot will put a pretty even distribution of fire when you launch all mortars at the same time. Throw in some incendiary in there as well, and one or two volleys will do some pretty significant damage.

The 2 people left from "N-2" are people you send out to either distract and keep them in place or to chase them down when their will has been broken.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Omniblivion posted:

Is it just me or are mortars insanely good.

Step 1: Build N-2 mortars, where N is the number of colonists you have
Step 2: Build an assload of mortar shells and have a roofed mortar shell stockpile right next to your mortars
Step 3: Turn Hold Fire on
Step 4: During peace time, Man all of the mortars (so that they are loaded), then go back to doing whatever
Step 5: Once you get a raid or siege or ship or ???, man all the mortars again (already loaded) and hit pause
Step 6: Target all mortars to the same spot and then turn Hold Fire off.
Step 7: Unpause and watch the show.

Because of the natural spread of mortar shells, targeting the same spot will put a pretty even distribution of fire when you launch all mortars at the same time. Throw in some incendiary in there as well, and one or two volleys will do some pretty significant damage.

The 2 people left from "N-2" are people you send out to either distract and keep them in place or to chase them down when their will has been broken.

Mortars are great and in my opinion a must have once you get to the later stages. My original colony is squaring off against groups of 100+ pirates at this point, so artillery is a must have. It's also amazing for tribals and manhunter packs if you can manage it right. Any "prepare for a while" event is perfect mortar fodder.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Yeah mortars are great, but they only help in some situations and shells are a pain to make since it is just one at a time. They would be the MVP of my current colony if not for the hero EMP grenades that some pirate dropped which has killed so many mechs.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

You can always set up a bill to maintain a certain amount of them, or just trade for them. It's about the only thing weapon merchants are good for once you have a good crafter.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
I just set up the crafting station for mortars the same way that I set up my stove: a 1 square tile of chemfuel (critical) and 1 square tile of steel (critical) on either side of the chair. I got some hauling bitches that keep it fully stocked, and with the craft order to "drop on ground", you can pump them out pretty quickly.

Edit:

Also, if you build a stool on top of the storage zone, the items actually go on the stool and makes your pawn not even have to turn to pick the items up. Saves a serious amount of time.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Omniblivion posted:

I just set up the crafting station for mortars the same way that I set up my stove: a 1 square tile of chemfuel (critical) and 1 square tile of steel (critical) on either side of the chair. I got some hauling bitches that keep it fully stocked, and with the craft order to "drop on ground", you can pump them out pretty quickly.

Edit:

Also, if you build a stool on top of the storage zone, the items actually go on the stool and makes your pawn not even have to turn to pick the items up. Saves a serious amount of time.

Oh hey I use that set up to make medicine :v:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Sounds like I need to put my boar hauler army to work.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

So the doom guy mod is pretty cool, is that what you're saying?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

It's the immediate nap he takes two feet away that gets me. "Whew, took out that minigun weilding murderbot that was going to blow bloody holes through every last human it could find. Now I'm just plain tuckered out. Gonna go lay down over here"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well that's going in the OP.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So there is blood everywhere but my guys don't seem to be keen on cleaning it themselves and i can't right click on it to prioritize it for some reason

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Jose posted:

So there is blood everywhere but my guys don't seem to be keen on cleaning it themselves and i can't right click on it to prioritize it for some reason

If it's outside of your home zone, your pawns will just go "not my problem" and won't touch it.

This also goes for fires, which will be way more of an issue

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Jose posted:

click a pawn to select them before right clicking the blood, make sure they are assigned the cleaning job

once you get to 6-8 pawns you may want to have a dedicated janitor. make sure you're using manually set priorities.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Danaru posted:

This also goes for fires, which will be way more of an issue

this is why it's important/efficient to have stone walls around your entire base (if you have access to stone) and then just set your home zone to end at the wall. Fire doesn't burn through stone!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Or, better yet, janitor robots.

Had a refugee event last night. The raid that followed was about twenty dudes, many in power armor. Of course this happened when my main fighting force is off cleansing a raider outpost in our drop ship.

No big deal, I thought. I still have ten or twelve people who can run the mortars, some of which are properly equipped soldier types. We get down to the business of shelling the gently caress out of these assholes, but they branch off into two groups to go around a stone outcropping so the mortars aren't as effective as I'd like. They make it to the outer defensive line that I just finished building after the last psychic ship crashed a few months back: a plasteel Vulcan, and two shredder turrets for anyone who gets too close. Some of the attackers are melee, and there's enough of them that they make it to the base of the Vulcan under the hail of shredder fire. The turrets are still mulching them pretty good, but then I hear the mortars go off again.

gently caress.

The shelling didn't kill the Vulcan, which is testament to it's longevity, but it hurt it enough that the guys plinking away from the bushes were able to set it off. We still won eventually, a few more salvos of artillery broke the attacker's will, no one on my side got hurt, but we lost a lot of plasteel.

I think next time I'll do two regular steel Vulcans separated, but close enough that they can cover each other.

Probably should stop accepting refugee's calls for help, but that seems mean spirited.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Slung Blade posted:

Or, better yet, janitor robots.

Had a refugee event last night. The raid that followed was about twenty dudes, many in power armor. Of course this happened when my main fighting force is off cleansing a raider outpost in our drop ship.

No big deal, I thought. I still have ten or twelve people who can run the mortars, some of which are properly equipped soldier types. We get down to the business of shelling the gently caress out of these assholes, but they branch off into two groups to go around a stone outcropping so the mortars aren't as effective as I'd like. They make it to the outer defensive line that I just finished building after the last psychic ship crashed a few months back: a plasteel Vulcan, and two shredder turrets for anyone who gets too close. Some of the attackers are melee, and there's enough of them that they make it to the base of the Vulcan under the hail of shredder fire. The turrets are still mulching them pretty good, but then I hear the mortars go off again.

gently caress.

The shelling didn't kill the Vulcan, which is testament to it's longevity, but it hurt it enough that the guys plinking away from the bushes were able to set it off. We still won eventually, a few more salvos of artillery broke the attacker's will, no one on my side got hurt, but we lost a lot of plasteel.

I think next time I'll do two regular steel Vulcans separated, but close enough that they can cover each other.

Probably should stop accepting refugee's calls for help, but that seems mean spirited.

If you've got the juice, Expanded Development has large shields you can put your vulcan cannons behind. Just be warned that they're power hungry, and if they're too close together, your vulcans might end up shooting into each other's shields instead of at the bad dudes.

Speaking of Expanded Development, Embrasures whips rear end for early defenses, and also Laserdrill lets you create and remove steam geysers. My modding philosophy is "overpowered but expensive" :colbert:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Unless I'm desperate for a warm body I always refuse those anyway. gently caress getting a depressive pyromaniac with crap skills and a bad back or something.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'd love a way to just exile people. Like yeah I'll save you and all but no you're not living here if you refuse to do both dumb AND skilled labour. I guess I could just hand them over to Dagon but I try to only direct unspeakable horrors at people who attack me first :( I'm nice if you're nice

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I WOULD like for "Jerry 'Fireman' Stevens would like to join your colony after your help. Would you like to let him stay, or send him on his way?" to be a dialog that appears, so that you can do refugee events and feel good about yourself without taking on the obligation of caring about them.

That said, I did just bring on a mostly useless Sheriff with cataracts, who I gave a robot body, eyes, and power armor to because he had a 16 double flame in shooting.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Efexeye posted:

click a pawn to select them before right clicking the blood, make sure they are assigned the cleaning job

once you get to 6-8 pawns you may want to have a dedicated janitor. make sure you're using manually set priorities.

I've stuck them on hauling/cooking/cleaning duties and its working out really well so far. Got my genius guy who basically only researches and hunts so I'm getting new stuff far faster than I can use it and that guys sister I rescued in an event focusing on growing. Working pretty well now except a chronic lack of steel

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Danaru posted:

I'd love a way to just exile people. Like yeah I'll save you and all but no you're not living here if you refuse to do both dumb AND skilled labour. I guess I could just hand them over to Dagon but I try to only direct unspeakable horrors at people who attack me first :( I'm nice if you're nice

The Brainwashing mod is fun for that, if you like to imagine no middle ground between letting your colonists be themselves and using mind altering drugs to unweave their very identity.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
cryptosleep works for that and if you have an ancient danger on your map you have a very good chance of having access to a couple caskets for free once you can handle a couple mechanoids.

which is to say, about a month after you get gun turrets (one of the earliest research priorities).

its not exactly the same thing but it keeps these parasites from being a drag on your daily workings.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Danaru posted:

There's a weird awkward way you can do this. Basically just build a little prison cell outside your walls, prop the door open, and arrest the colonist you want to exile. They'll get put in the open cell, and they'll immediately "escape" and just run off the map and out of your life forever.

If you want to arrest someone without having to get in a fist fight, you can anesthetize them from the medical tab and arrest them while they're unconscious. They'll escape as soon as they wake up.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

that's clever.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

There's a weird awkward way you can do this. Basically just build a little prison cell outside your walls, prop the door open, and arrest the colonist you want to exile. They'll get put in the open cell, and they'll immediately "escape" and just run off the map and out of your life forever.

If you want to arrest someone without having to get in a fist fight, you can anesthetize them from the medical tab and arrest them while they're unconscious. They'll escape as soon as they wake up.

That makes sense. You should probably lighten their load with surgery anyway so they don't have those extra organs weighing them down.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Being from the democratic people's republic of California, I always insist on growing copious amounts of smokeweed and yayo. It is a highly effective method of chillin' out, dude. Or getting Amped As gently caress. Depending on the situation, of course.

I should probably start offloading portions of each, though. I don't think all the addictions and tolerance in the world could make me blow through my 2k of each in any reasonable amount of time.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

is there supposed to be a fuel powered smelter?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Jose posted:

is there supposed to be a fuel powered smelter?

Not that I know of. But that would be a cool idea for an add on if baseline smelting was worth the effort for the steel you get out of the labour you put into it.

I find it's only really good for cleaning up your home map, hardly worth the time to haul it in and turn into a whopping ten steel per line of scrap.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Slung Blade posted:

Not that I know of. But that would be a cool idea for an add on if baseline smelting was worth the effort for the steel you get out of the labour you put into it.

I find it's only really good for cleaning up your home map, hardly worth the time to haul it in and turn into a whopping ten steel per line of scrap.

I've started just making stockpile zones outside my base entrances with all of that scrap. Slows down raiders so that I can pummel them with artillery.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

jose if you didnt read this yet, read it http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813720217

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Mzbundifund posted:

or just draft them, send them into a far corner and leave them to starve/freeze/fry to death?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Seaside Loafer posted:

or just draft them, send them into a far corner and leave them to starve/freeze/fry to death?

The objective is to get rid of them, but letting them live. I'm already dangerously close to the Deja event horizon, I need to be a nice guy once in a while

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Seaside Loafer posted:

The rest of your colony'll get a 'colonist died' mood debuff for weeks, and it'll be worse for any friends/family.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

also that's mean which the premise is that you don't want to be mean if someone hasn't been mean to you

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Danaru posted:

The objective is to get rid of them, but letting them live. I'm already dangerously close to the Deja event horizon, I need to be a nice guy once in a while

Just take the plunge you wuss.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Being nice to people is really inefficient, so many resources wasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i had a quick look and drat its long. The stuff about colonists and building a fort is real good so i'l follow that and then fudge around the rest myself.