Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Sirotan posted:

A ticket came in: termination request for a user who died over the weekend. :(

An urgent ticket came in: Immediate termination of a specific middle manager who's been working hard at being the worst boss ever. Not "come in late"-kind of bos, but "Let's make people go home crying, and quit without a new job lined up"-kind.

Apparently a union rep had a meeting with HR and a director, and half an hour later his account* was locked out and his devices wiped. Hoo boy was he ever mad. :dance:

*Hooray for ADSF!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Did he go home crying? I assume he didn't have another job lined up.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
A ticket came in from Linus Tech Tips: we bricked a motherboard by spraying not-vantablack on it.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

TinTower posted:

A ticket came in from Linus Tech Tips: we bricked a motherboard by spraying not-vantablack on it.

Please tell me this is real.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Please tell me this is real.

You know this is real, it's Linus.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

TinTower posted:

Lnk plz I love to see linus gently caress up

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ConfusedUs posted:

"Your fate is sealed," whispered the Hitpinniped as the knife went in.

They would never sea it coming

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
SO.. we're at "Hightened Security" in a few days because, um.. "things" are expected to happen near city hall. Extra police posing as workers, extra security at doors, limited opening hours, staff encouraged to used banked hours for PTO if they feel like it. Fun times for all.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Crowley posted:

SO.. we're at "Hightened Security" in a few days because, um.. "things" are expected to happen near city hall. Extra police posing as workers, extra security at doors, limited opening hours, staff encouraged to used banked hours for PTO if they feel like it. Fun times for all.

Rolling out an update for your software that you know is broken?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So a coworker edited a GPO and now when users click on a hyperlink to a network location in a Word document, it's blocked. He then went on vacation. Any idea what setting this might be?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

So a coworker edited a GPO and now when users click on a hyperlink to a network location in a Word document, it's blocked. He then went on vacation. Any idea what setting this might be?

shot in the dark, but maybe he edited something with trusted zones?

mewse
May 2, 2006

GreenNight posted:

We did that for outlook so that people would stop clicking links in email. It might get applied to the whole office suite. They can get around it by copying+pasting the address (Right click.... copy... now go to your web browser.... paste... no, the address bar. It's the text area at the top of the window. What window are you looking at?!!)

I figure if they can't figure out copy+paste they shouldn't be clicking random links in their email anyway

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Windows 10 shops, beware of kb4035543, the install time of this update is pretty massive. We are noticing the average install time of 30-50 minutes after reboot.

You are either going to want to skip it or notify users ahead of time.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
A ticket came in to verify if an email was sent out. The email management people said we only have records 90 days back. I was wondering if that's close to standard for everyone, or if you go shorter, or longer?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

A ticket came in to verify if an email was sent out. The email management people said we only have records 90 days back. I was wondering if that's close to standard for everyone, or if you go shorter, or longer?

It depends what the lawyers tell them is the shortest amount of time that they absolutely need.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

"It depends."

Delivery reports are 14 days be default, journaling is... complicated.

Are you subject to:
Sarbanes-Oxley
SEC 17-4A
HIPPA
PATRIOT
Gramm-Leach-Bliley
etc
etc

Your defaults may vary!

O365 Message Trace default is 90 days though and that's basically it, unless you're archiving at the transport level you may have extended search capabilities.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

SEKCobra posted:

You know this is real, it's Linus.

He's horrible on every level. But it's a dead heat between his bad earrings and his preview thumbnails where he always looks like he's having some kind of stroke or mental incident.

ugh he 3d printed a dickbutt on a video card housing. How droll.

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 29, 2017

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Sickening posted:

Windows 10 shops, beware of kb4035543, the install time of this update is pretty massive. We are noticing the average install time of 30-50 minutes after reboot.

You are either going to want to skip it or notify users ahead of time.

Signal boosting the gently caress out of this.

GreenNight posted:

I seem to remember there's a setting for this in the ADMX files for Office. I can't remember off the top of my head what it was called though.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
https://service.mcafee.com/webcente...8922838555232#!

quote:

Urgent Announcement:

We are aware that customers are currently seeing a false positive WiFi attack message. We are working with our engineering team to fix this ASAP. We suggest that you temporarily turn off WiFi security and connect to your network normally. Thanks for your patience while we address this.

lmao

the actual error message customers receive is "warning your wifi is being attacked, disconnect now" which is scary sounding if you don't know enough about computers to actually use Mcafee

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

SeaborneClink posted:

O365 Message Trace default is 90 days though and that's basically it, unless you're archiving at the transport level you may have extended search capabilities.

They probably just left it at default then. I don't think we're subject to much beyond FOIP.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

spankmeister posted:

Lnk plz I love to see linus gently caress up

It's currently on Floatplane so it won't be up on YouTube for a week, I guess?

But two bux a month is worth it to see him gently caress up so much. :allears:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Tickets here
Tickets there
Gotta get that backlog bare
When its empty I'll be crowing
But the list is slowly growing

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Boogalo posted:

Tickets here
Tickets there
Gotta get that backlog bare
When its empty I'll be crowing
But the list is slowly growing

We enacted a new password policy today and expired everyone's passwords for everything.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Avenging_Mikon posted:

We enacted a new password policy today and expired everyone's passwords for everything.

How many phone calls have you received so far?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

iospace posted:

They've all been going to voicemail, for which the password is currently locked.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's pretty much the right way to do things.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

They probably just left it at default then. I don't think we're subject to much beyond FOIP.

It's a forced default. O365 is hosted :ssh:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

iospace posted:

Calls+emails together? Just for password stuff? About 100 in the past 3 hours. Usually we get about 30 calls and 100 emails across an entire day for all issues. And there's some people who are really really not computer savvy. One person refused to click on Switch User when updating their domain password because "they didn't want to switch users." Another I had to send desktop support because they couldn't type in the temporary password we gave them.

Actually been fairly smooth apart from those two people.

SeaborneClink posted:

It's a forced default. O365 is hosted :ssh:

Is there a way to learn O365 administration without having access to O365? Because I can pretty much only make/change users and groups in it. Because I'd like to know this stuff.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Is there a way to learn O365 administration without having access to O365? Because I can pretty much only make/change users and groups in it. Because I'd like to know this stuff.
Is there a reason you can't use an O365 free trial?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I'm stuck doing break fix for the time being since I moved across the state to take care of my diabetic, monthly heart attack having dad, and I absolutely have grown to hate Microsoft accounts and how they immediately want to change you to one when you install Office. Literally every customer who is legitimately locked out of their PC has been someone who just kept clicking 'OK' without reading and oops their password is the same as their email account now!

Also I currently have a laptop on my bench that's missing most of its keys and the user has 4 different versions of elf bowling installed and I don't know how many different 'DRIVER CLEANER' and 'DRIVER UPDATER' programs installed. I forgot how bad the general public is at clicking random poo poo.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Calls+emails together? Just for password stuff? About 100 in the past 3 hours. Usually we get about 30 calls and 100 emails across an entire day for all issues. And there's some people who are really really not computer savvy. One person refused to click on Switch User when updating their domain password because "they didn't want to switch users." Another I had to send desktop support because they couldn't type in the temporary password we gave them.

Actually been fairly smooth apart from those two people.

I hope you really enjoy reading TechNet articles. :shrug:

There's some video 'courses' available through Microsoft Virtual Academy as well as obviously paid courses through the usual suspects (udemy, cbtnuggets, edx, etc)

TIL: There is an MCSA path for Office 365 (70-346 + 70-347) :suicide101:

NEVER FORGET THE MOST IMPORTANT THING. Do not, I repeat do not ever touch SharePoint. This is a prime opportunity for any sort of learning disability to be invoked and for you to run as fast and as far away as possible.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 29, 2017

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

John Dyne posted:

I'm stuck doing break fix for the time being since I moved across the state to take care of my diabetic, monthly heart attack having dad, and I absolutely have grown to hate Microsoft accounts and how they immediately want to change you to one when you install Office. Literally every customer who is legitimately locked out of their PC has been someone who just kept clicking 'OK' without reading and oops their password is the same as their email account now!

Also I currently have a laptop on my bench that's missing most of its keys and the user has 4 different versions of elf bowling installed and I don't know how many different 'DRIVER CLEANER' and 'DRIVER UPDATER' programs installed. I forgot how bad the general public is at clicking random poo poo.

TIL Elf Bowling works on modern machines.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

anthonypants posted:

Is there a reason you can't use an O365 free trial?

I didn't know there was a free trial of o365 admin?

SeaborneClink posted:

I hope you really enjoy reading TechNet articles. :shrug:

There's some video 'courses' available through Microsoft Virtual Academy as well as obviously paid courses through the usual suspects (udemy, cbtnuggets, edx, etc)

TIL: There is an MCSA path for Office 365 (70-346 + 70-347) :suicide101:

NEVER FORGET THE MOST IMPORTANT THING. Do not, I repeat do not ever touch SharePoint. This is a prime opportunity for any sort of learning disability to be invoked and for you to run as fast and as far away as possible.

Fuuuuuuck SharePoint. Lucky that's handled by application support, and O365 is infrastructure which is my goal within the organization.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

A ticket came in...

quote:

Can you please buy this book for Maria? <linktobookstore>
(Neither submitter nor named recipient are in IT.)

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

nielsm posted:

A ticket came in...

(Neither submitter nor named recipient are in IT.)

Is it an IT related book at least?!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Is it an IT related book at least?!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I can't take this sometimes.

mewse
May 2, 2006

wa27 posted:

I can't take this sometimes.

I WAS DOING WHAT YOU TOLD ME TO DO

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
A former client forwarded me along a position for a Desktop Support Engineer for Gizmodo

quote:

If your idea of a good day is staying rooted in a chair churning through a list that remains obedient to your plans – swipe left and keep searching. But if you have kick-rear end customer service skills, are a quick study where application and peripheral conflicts are concerned, and love the idea of crawling under the desk to cable it all together, you might be the perfect candidate for this opportunity. Shoot us a resume and brief note about applicable experiences and learnings.

:allears:

The responsibilities are pretty good too: http://gizmodo.com/careers/job/808074?gh_jid=808074

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

pr0digal posted:

A former client forwarded me along a position for a Desktop Support Engineer for Gizmodo

:allears:

The responsibilities are pretty good too: http://gizmodo.com/careers/job/808074?gh_jid=808074

Holy poo poo:

Morons posted:

Jurisdiction for this role will be broad, and fall into four basic categories:

1.IT Management, which will consist of equipment maintenance | security monitoring | support for resource moves | backup and archiving of user data | file server maintenance | account and support system migrations

2.Desktop Support, consists of new employee equipment configuration | printer and peripheral management | software training & mentoring

3.Event Support, including installation setup | theater and lighting configuration | analytics display support | collaborative tool connectivity

Numbers added by me.

• Locked thread