Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

If the Nazis were democrats and the democrats were Nazis, why is it a problem for contemporary democrats to say gently caress nazis?

Are democrats not allowed to say that if they were actually Nazis ~80 years ago?

I really don't understand what it matters who founded it.

If republicans came out and said gently caress Nazis I'm not gonna be like "well you guys were Nazis back in the day" I'm gonna say good call on saying gently caress Nazis.

Its funny how willing the GOP is to embrace the KKK and the CSA, but the Dems reject their supposed Nazi descendants, and shame on them?

Its a pathetic whataboutism that isn't even based in reality since Nazism is inherently a Right Wing movement. From the same party that says the KKK is a Democratic thing, while ignoring The Southern Strategy and how KKK members vote straight Republican ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

If the Nazis were democrats and the democrats were Nazis, why is it a problem for contemporary democrats to say gently caress nazis?

Are democrats not allowed to say that if they were actually Nazis ~80 years ago?

If republicans came out and said gently caress Nazis I'm not gonna be like "well you guys were Nazis back in the day" I'm gonna say good call on saying gently caress Nazis.

No no no, they're nazis, but every race is better than American (whites) and they're trying to destroy America (whites) through nazi schemes because of Jews or something I have no idea and I really don't care.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

You just put more thought into the process than any of the brain dead dumbfucks that vomit this stuff onto the world ever will because you used the nuance of "well hey if you're gonna say Nazis are bad then great, we can agree on that". They're against Democrats because Democrats Bad, and *IF* you can get them to admit Nazis are bad, then they must be Democrats because Democrats Bad. Facts don't mean a loving thing. "Democrats bad, Nazis bad, therefore Democrats = Nazis". It's the same brainless, ignorant drivel as "Republicans are the party of Lincoln, so Democrats are the real racists trying to enslave people!" Racists Bad, Democrats Bad, Democrats = Racists; and obviously I cannot be racist myself because Not Racist = Not Democrat.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

M_Gargantua posted:

40mm tear gas

Can you imagine how many people are gonna get zonked in the dome like that old guy in Gen Kill?

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
North Korea is so loving cute

I just want to pinch that hermit kingdoms cheek

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Can you imagine how many people are gonna get zonked in the dome like that old guy in Gen Kill?

What about shot in the balls like that gif?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/902300399683633157

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I'm confused wouldn't some of these folks be happy that Soros is a Nazi? I thought they were at least tacitly down with the Neo crew? I am so loving confused why did we get so stupid as a nation :(

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The piece of poo poo that fired a gun at Flamethrower Hero in Charlottesville was a full-on KKK member and went on a birther rant about Obama.

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/2017/08/28/cecil-county-ku-klux-klan-wizard-charlottesville-rally/609739001/

quote:

In 2013, Richard Preston, the imperial wizard of the Confederate White Knights of Rosedale (Cecil County), Maryland, told his neighbors at a meeting to "trust him."

On Saturday, police arrested Preston, believing he fired a gun into the crowd at the white supremacist rally earlier this month in Charlottesville, Virginia.

Charlottesville police identified Preston, 52, as the man seen in a video published by the ACLU of Virginia, in which a man walking among protesters and counter-protesters at the city's Emancipation Park draws a pistol and fires amid the crowd.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

FPS Russia dude arrested

http://www.guns.com/2017/08/24/fps-russia-star-arrested-in-georgia-on-drug-charges/

quote:

YouTube gun personality Kyle Lamar Myers, best known for his character Dmitri Potapoff on the FPS Russia channel, was arrested earlier this month.

As reported by the Athens-Banner Herald, Myers, 30, was arrested on Aug. 8 by the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office on charges of illegally obtaining drugs shipped to his post office box in Carnesville, Georgia.

According to jail dockets, Myers was booked on possession of a Schedule I or II controlled substance with intent to distribute and possession and use of drug related objects. Under Georgia law, the intent charge is a felony punishable by anywhere from one to 30 years in prison.

As detailed by the Herald, following his arrest agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives obtained a warrant for Myer’s property and seized more than 50 firearms.

Myers’ home was raided in 2013 by the ATF over questions about the use of explosives by the YouTube personality, known for blowing up random household items as part of the show’s productions, though no charges were filed. That raid came three months after Keith Ratliff, Myers’ business partner, was found shot execution-style in his home workshop. An investigation by Georgia state police into Ratliff’s murder has been unproductive.

The FPS Russia YouTube page, started in 2010, has over 6 million subscribers and has chalked up nearly 800 million views. However, the last video posted, a comparison of personal flamethrowers, was in April 2016. The channel’s formerly very active social media accounts, likewise, have been dormant since then.

Guns.com contacted both the Franklin County Sheriff’s Department as well as the ATF and will update this piece if they offer any additional information.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

It's not a bad supposition, not that long ago that the FBI was looking into white supremacist organizations infiltrating law enforcement in an organized manner. More organized than "racist assholes want a chance to shoot them" anyway

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Hopefully we give them a happy meal first

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

hobbesmaster posted:

What's different between this [Arpaio's case] and the cases cited in that document?

Schaffer had already been granted a motion for new trial by the trial judge. The government appealed the grant of new trial and won, but Schaffer asked for an en banc opinion, which vacated the opinion denying a new trial. I.e., at the time of the pardon, Schaffer had been granted a new trial, meaning the conviction from the original trial was gone.
There are other parts that make the ruling even more in favor of Schaffer, but at the time of the pardon, there wasn't a conviction to hold against Schaffer.

Dilley isn't even a pardon case, it just talks in general about mootness of appeals.

Robson just talks about whether a pardon can moot an appeal. That court said it didn't, particularly in light of Robson's innocence as a matter of law.

Robson sorta kinda says Arpaio's lawyers can file for an appeal of the conviction. The US Attorney's office needs to reply that by his action of accepting the pardon, Arpaio mooted the appeal by implicitly accepting guilt.

Then we'll see if the current Supreme Court wants to take some legal wool gathering by their colleagues a century ago

CommieGIR posted:

Nope. Legally, it will always be an admission of guilt, no matter how you word it.
and elevate it to an actual statement of controlling law. (Which it is not, and has not been)

e:
If this:

CommieGIR posted:

Nope. Legally, it will always be an admission of guilt, no matter how you word it.
actually became law, would the president even have the power to pardon a person based upon their actual innocence? Looking beyond "gently caress Trump and Arpaio" for a moment, is "no actual innocence allowed" a restriction we want to place on the pardon power of Presidents forever?

joat mon fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 29, 2017

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

In a mandatory minimum sentencing southern state with trumped up charges for concentrate product and Plantation Keebler beating the drum for Tuff On Pot? He's turbofucked.

Bolow posted:

Hopefully we give them a happy meal first

:discourse:

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

#NotAllNorks

:rolleyes:

This guy is going to go to jail for as long as he can be sentenced for. This isn't plea bait, there is too much hay to make politically.

In case this somehow gets construed as me supporting the racist piece of poo poo, I"m not.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

bird food bathtub posted:

It's not a bad supposition, not that long ago that the FBI was looking into white supremacist organizations infiltrating law enforcement in an organized manner. More organized than "racist assholes want a chance to shoot them" anyway

Zach de la Rocha had this poo poo figured out already back in 1991.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Eej posted:

:tinfoil:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Tremblay posted:

#NotAllNorks

:rolleyes:

This guy is going to go to jail for as long as he can be sentenced for. This isn't plea bait, there is too much hay to make politically.

In case this somehow gets construed as me supporting the racist piece of poo poo, I"m not.

Asking if the prosecutor has a history of blah blah ignores the issue in the context of what you were quoting, and the prosecutors history is irrelevant.

For example, my #NotAllCops post was drawing a comparison. If a cop shoots an unarmed black person, in a similar context of what you were responding to, the cop's history is irrelevant, even if he has had no accusations of racism, or previously acted racist. The issue, in context of the post you were responding to, is that racist poo poo keeps happening, even as a result of people who supposedly are not racist.

It's bigger than the individual, who in this specific case is the prosecutor you were asking about.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Eej posted:

And the MDC boys a decade before that. :corsair:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

joat mon posted:

And the MDC boys a decade before that. :corsair:

And black people forever ago

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
So N Korea can test the hypothesis that a nuke can stop a hurricane.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Primary citation: Ilsa: She-Wolf of the SS

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

gently caress you joel osteen you festering piece of poo poo
http://nypost.com/2017/08/28/pastor-osteen-shuts-church-amid-flooding-crisis/

As a Christian I'm not supposed to wish death on people, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if Osteen bled to death after being castrated with a can opener. gently caress him and his breed of poo poo

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Asking if the prosecutor has a history of blah blah ignores the issue in the context of what you were quoting, and the prosecutors history is irrelevant.

For example, my #NotAllCops post was drawing a comparison. If a cop shoots an unarmed black person, in a similar context of what you were responding to, the cop's history is irrelevant, even if he has had no accusations of racism, or previously acted racist. The issue, in context of the post you were responding to, is that racist poo poo keeps happening, even as a result of people who supposedly are not racist.

It's bigger than the individual, who in this specific case is the prosecutor you were asking about.

Got it. nope don't have it. In your cop hypothetical we just roast the bastard because it's Tuesday? Is the cop black? Mexican? Does that matter?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LostCosmonaut posted:

As a Christian I'm not supposed to wish death on people, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if Osteen bled to death after being castrated with a can opener. gently caress him and his breed of poo poo

oh my a hypocritical deist why i never

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LostCosmonaut posted:

Megachurches are cancer.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

LostCosmonaut posted:

https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/902289414734450689

(Follow that man!)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Megachurches are cancer.

I have no clue what the appeal of those things is. Growing up, the churches I went to always had tight-knit communities. How do you get that when the congregation is the size of a large town and the church has a food court?

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Stultus Maximus posted:

Megachurches are cancer.

:agreed:

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

I have no clue what the appeal of those things is. Growing up, the churches I went to always had tight-knit communities. How do you get that when the congregation is the size of a large town and the church has a food court?

They make a shitload of money for the guy running them is the main appeal.

There's literally one of those shitters named Dollar: https://www.christiantoday.com/article/creflo.dollar.removes.facebook.post.which.claims.jesus.died.to.give.us.financial.prosperity/67092.htm

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I have no clue what the appeal of those things is

quote:

the church has a food court

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

I'm still a filthy Papist, but from my friends who are in those churches, the draw seems that they're big enough to house nearly everyone, you still get that striated social effect where there is a definite pecking order, but you also get enough smaller cliques that people can slide in or out of. The other draw is that these uber churches function as community centers in the macro sense. You don't have the same potluck in the community hall, but you do get good connections for day care, and maybe a good reference for a drywall contractor if you know the right people.
You can straight up tie the death of social and fraternal orders to the growth of the megachurch throughout the midwest and south.

The guy LostCosmonaut* refers to is one of the prosperity gospel preachers where the whole deal is that the more YOU give to the church (or the pastor), the more you will GET. Someday.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 29, 2017

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Does it have a bar?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Immanentized posted:

The guy GreasyStrangler refers to is one of the prosperity gospel preachers where the whole deal is that the more YOU give to the church (or the pastor), the more you will GET. Someday.

I honestly don't understand how these guys call themselves Christians since Jesus smacked down dudes who did way less.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y1xJAVZxXg

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I honestly don't understand how these guys call themselves Christians since Jesus smacked down dudes who did way less.
They're not, and if you pay attention, they don't actually use a whole lotta scripture when they preach. They rely on their largely impoverished and uneducated congregations not really having any knowledge of how Christianity works beyond "Jesus saves, God Forgives" and warp their sense of faith to serve their own ends. These guys are networked in an insane way too, passing the faithful back and forth between their televised or broadcast sermons.There's a whole TV network dedicated to this crap that even has fake Catholic Priests and Nuns giving telethons every Saturday for "donations"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Immanentized posted:

The guy GreasyStrangler refers to is one of the prosperity gospel preachers where the whole deal is that the more YOU give to the church (or the pastor), the more you will GET. Someday.

Well indulgences are nothing new, really.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Right? A community isn't that big. Nobody can actually know or care about that many people. Like, when I go to church people ask about my daughter and not just because I have a baby in my arms but because they know us and have chatted for a long period of time. Actual community and support.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I saw the same thing in aa a lot. Anywhere you have people gathering on common purpose you get a community

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I honestly don't trust most people who are really into Christianity with a few exceptions. It always seems like they're one major upset from doing something either incredibly stupid and/or unforgivable. I went to an ELCA church growing up which isn't a bad way to go if you're going to believe in god which is one thing. But then you get exposed to kids who attended some whacko church and start talking about demons and poo poo....

• Locked thread