Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Subjunctive posted:

Will they give you the list of crappy routers so you don't just get another one?

Yeah, there's a list on their site, I just didn't know about it when I got the Nest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ah, that's good at least. I didn't know that when I bought my Nest either!

I wonder what on earth it's doing that's so sensitive to router details.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

hooah posted:

Yes. I even said so in my post.

You said you rebooted the router - I'd take reset as factory reset and you didn't say you did that. Might be worth trying before dropping the cash on a new one, just backup your settings (if you can) and record them all - something that you'd need to do to get them to a new one anyhow.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Fancy_Lad posted:

You said you rebooted the router - I'd take reset as factory reset and you didn't say you did that. Might be worth trying before dropping the cash on a new one, just backup your settings (if you can) and record them all - something that you'd need to do to get them to a new one anyhow.

Oh I took the comment to apply to the thermostat. I suppose it's either a shot factory resetting the router.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Oh I took the comment to apply to the thermostat. I suppose it's either a shot factory resetting the router.

You took it right, I was referring to factory resetting the Nest but doing it to the router can't hurt either.

I'll admit I did nothing at all with my Nest and Apple Time Capsule. Turned it on and it worked. I feel like they are bullshitting you to avoid having to replace a broken unit.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

LastInLine posted:

I feel like they are bullshitting you to avoid having to replace a broken unit.

This is where I am leaning.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
So is there any chance of getting recourse from them? I don't feel like they'd back down especially since the router's on that list of theirs.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

hooah posted:

So is there any chance of getting recourse from them? I don't feel like they'd back down especially since the router's on that list of theirs.

You could just lie and say you're using a different router. I mean, its an ethical gray area, but I think theyy're just bullshitting you. I have a hard time believing its your routers fault when it worked fine for months, and then all of a sudden, it stops working fine but all the other devices on your network continue to work fine.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tell them you replaced the router and it still doesn't work. It's not like they can tell, it isn't communicating with them.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I don't get why the router would matter with a Nest thermostat.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I could see it mattering if it were using IPv6 and the router's handling wasn't perfect (not uncommon), but my Nest seems to be IPv4 only. (And Time Capsule does IPv6 fine AFAIK.)

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
I had a problem with my two Ecobee thermostats with my two Ubiquiti APs when I attempted to use the zero handshake/seemless handoff functionality. If one AP went down for upgrading firmware, the thermostats wouldn't communicate unless you powered cycled them (pull them from the wall).

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

The Electronaut posted:

I had a problem with my two Ecobee thermostats with my two Ubiquiti APs when I attempted to use the zero handshake/seemless handoff functionality. If one AP went down for upgrading firmware, the thermostats wouldn't communicate unless you powered cycled them (pull them from the wall).

There's a power switch near your furnace you can use to kill power to a thermostat.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
What's the opinion on ADT pulse? I mean it's kinda expensive at 57$ a month but that's ok to me if they have Good reliable systems and service. 36 month contract.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

uPen posted:

There's a power switch near your furnace you can use to kill power to a thermostat.

Either at the panel or in the attic, so pulling the Ecobee off the wall for two seconds was far easier.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Burt Sexual posted:

What's the opinion on ADT pulse? I mean it's kinda expensive at 57$ a month but that's ok to me if they have Good reliable systems and service. 36 month contract.

I used the business version so it might have had features that were unavailable in consumer, but it was overall decent. Lots of features could be controlled in my browser. I usually got called if the alarm went off, never had problem getting service in Tucson when we needed it.

Getting service in Yuma was a loving pain in the rear end but this is the case for practically any service thing (printers and furniture was the only exception), but the local owned/ran security solutions were flakes, so we still went with ADT because slow service was better than guys we thought might rob us if they were bored, after waiting weeks for a return phone call.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Burt Sexual posted:

They don’t do anything anyone else decent doesn’t do and they cost 50% more plus lock in a contract so yeah pass on that.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kalman posted:

They don’t do anything anyone else decent doesn’t do and they cost 50% more plus lock in a contract so yeah pass on that.

Seems like all services have at least a 36 month lock, like them, others have lonnng ones. I want it installed too as I'm old and a dumbass. They seem more turnkey. And 24x7 customer service that no one else has? Aaggggh I've been looking for weeks.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rick posted:

I used the business version so it might have had features that were unavailable in consumer, but it was overall decent. Lots of features could be controlled in my browser. I usually got called if the alarm went off, never had problem getting service in Tucson when we needed it.

Getting service in Yuma was a loving pain in the rear end but this is the case for practically any service thing (printers and furniture was the only exception), but the local owned/ran security solutions were flakes, so we still went with ADT because slow service was better than guys we thought might rob us if they were bored, after waiting weeks for a return phone call.

Odd since everything I read says they have the best service, at least phone based. After it's setup I think I could be talked through anything. For instance someone recommended vivint, and they suck I guess and don't install.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Burt Sexual posted:

Odd since everything I read says they have the best service, at least phone based. After it's setup I think I could be talked through anything. For instance someone recommended vivint, and they suck I guess and don't install.

I never had a problem with their service in Tucson. In Yuma they were driving someone in from San Diego whenever service was needed.

But we still found this better than the local guy who owned all the companies there.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rick posted:

I never had a problem with their service in Tucson. In Yuma they were driving someone in from San Diego whenever service was needed.

But we still found this better than the local guy who owned all the companies there.

Thx. Yeah someone will have to drive here too, but there's one local service and their "office" looks like doobies dog shack.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Burt Sexual posted:

Seems like all services have at least a 36 month lock, like them, others have lonnng ones. I want it installed too as I'm old and a dumbass. They seem more turnkey. And 24x7 customer service that no one else has? Aaggggh I've been looking for weeks.

If you want it installed idk what’s good but the “install” for the Vivint/Frontpoint stuff is pretty brain dead. Basically “stick sensor on windowframe and magnet on window, aligned to each other. Repeat for all windows and doors you care about. Call company.”

(I do know Frontpoint doesn’t require a contract, though they will give a significant equipment discount for signing one. Customer service isn’t 24x7 for them, but 8-11 EST on weekdays, 10-7 weekends is close enough.)

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Kalman posted:

If you want it installed idk what’s good but the “install” for the Vivint/Frontpoint stuff is pretty brain dead. Basically “stick sensor on windowframe and magnet on window, aligned to each other. Repeat for all windows and doors you care about. Call company.”

(I do know Frontpoint doesn’t require a contract, though they will give a significant equipment discount for signing one. Customer service isn’t 24x7 for them, but 8-11 EST on weekdays, 10-7 weekends is close enough.)

This is all true of LiveWatch too (disclaimer: I work for them). The install is just putting stickers on things and a freakishly patient young person in Kansas will walk you through it all.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Can anyone recommend an Alexa compatible three way light switch that does not require a hub?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Passed my C4 Automation Programmer course.
:toot:

Brutal 3.5 days of information crammed into my head and a test that is taken while everyone around you is testing their audio devices (often at high volumes)

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Have I mentioned how rad Home Assistant is? $3 for some Chinese 433mhz GPIO modules and now I'm controlling those dirt cheap 5/$25 Etekcity RF switches alongside my zwave stuff.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

eddiewalker posted:

Have I mentioned how rad Home Assistant is? $3 for some Chinese 433mhz GPIO modules and now I'm controlling those dirt cheap 5/$25 Etekcity RF switches alongside my zwave stuff.

Funny you should say that. I'm in the middle of setting HA up in a docker container on my server.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Thermopyle posted:

Funny you should say that. I'm in the middle of setting HA up in a docker container on my server.

There's a learning curve for sure, but I'm not a programmer and I've waded through it. My biggest advice is to always use YAML aware text editor like BBEdit because spacing is so specific.

I thought about Docker, but I figured I'd give it a test run on the Pi. Turns out the Pi is nice for doing things with GPIO and HDMI-CEC, so I'm just going to keep it there.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
I've just started playing with HA as well (first in a docker, but later moved to hass.io on a pi so I can use GPIO)

Second the YAML aware editor. YAML is my biggest gripe about HA. Staring at a stark black/white text editor for a long time troubleshooting an automation with sections that look like

quote:

condition:
condition: and
conditions:
condition:

is loving terrible. Who came up with this poo poo? I can only look at them for a few minutes at a time, after that my eyes start to hurt and I just can't see what's going on anymore.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

HASS is for hackers and developers, and yaml is a widely accepted developer standard. They may work to abstract that over the next year, but that's just how they're choosing to build a community. They want contributors more than users.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

I remember this was being pushed for the etekcity remote outlets for a while: https://www.hooksmarthome.com/

I backed it on kickstarter, was sorely disappointed. Had issues with detecting state, and transmission range issues as well. Could be the early units were just really lovely. That and they decided to host it online instead of on-device. I never heard if they ever made any fixes to the online-only or state-sensing issues.

Their old kickstarter page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hackajoe/hook-home-automation-on-a-budget

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
Ive had an ecobee setup with alexa for awhile and it used to work fine. I would tell alexa to set the temp to whatever and she would respond (setting my ecobee to temperature). No problems.

Recently when I say set the thermostat to whatever, today is was 76, she responds (setting auto to 76) and then sets the thermostat to a heat cool range of 74-79. Any idea wtf is going on? I dont have a program or schedule that I can tell called 76, so why is she now calling it auto and also why is the temp wrong?

I just tried with homekit and when i sat set to 72 it sets to 74. When i say 70 it sets to 72.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Ikea has a semi-new Hue competitor called the Trådfri. I don't know much about it, but it's aiming for the budget conscious no-frills market. The Gateway (wifi bridge) is €33, light bulbs are €10-€15 and come in GU10, E14, and E27 sockets, and they have an array of physical switches (dimmers, buttons, etc) that I'm not sure what the prices are. They collectively call these "steering devices."

I was at Ikea yesterday and decided to impose buy the Gateway and a single light bulb because I've never owned an IoT light bulb before and wanted to play around with it within the return period. I didn't buy a steering device because the whole point was to use my phone to control/automate everything. That was a mistake though because you can not pair a lightbulb to the Gateway—you must pair a switch to the Gateway and then I'm guessing you add lightbulbs to that switch. I wouldn't know.

I think that this is completely idiotic and is total nonsense. I think that anybody who reads the product information on the Gateway, which says the following:

quote:

With TRÅDFRI gateway and app you can control each light source individually, create different types of lighting settings - and control them by remote control or the app.

Would assume what I assumed: that I can just buy a Gateway and a light bulb and use the app to control them. But no, you need a switch to connect the bulbs to the Gateway. I figured it was an either/or situation like with the Hue: use the app but here's a physical switch for people who want one.

Speaking of the Hue, I read a comment from mid-August that Ikea pushed out a lightbulb firmware update to make them compatible with the Hue ecosystem. This in theory would mean that budget conscious people could just buy cheaper Ikea Trådfri light bulbs (white only) to add to their Hue network. In practice, you would need to have the Ikea Gateway and a switch laying around because that's the only way you can download lightbulb firmware updates. At this point just :lol: gently caress it it's no longer convenient.

Also, Ikea said HomeKit would be supported. I think that they are working on it: supposedly they accidentally changed some of the text in their product info saying it was now supported but their customer support just posted this month that yes support is coming but "in the fall."

Anyway that's the story of how I ended up here with a €32 plastic paper weight and a useless €15 lightbulb that I'm going to return.

Also,

Dogen posted:

Petition to rename thread “updating lightbulb firmware is a thing now”

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Anything worthwhile I can do in the Philippines with an Echo or Google Home? Things that I know don't work or aren't convenient here: some music services (Spotify works), ordering stuff on Amazon. Package tracking is virtually useless, and thermostats aren't a thing here. Either of them worth it? FWIW if it changes anything, I'm a software eng, but am not so good with the hardware stuff.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Hughlander posted:

Maybe. This is part of my bitch session about IoT and automation. The sensors were considered fixtures, but any hub / control wasn't? Now I even just found something new I can't identify in another room. anyone recognize ones of these?

Found it on the wall in another room, it's positioned in the center of the wall not a corner, there's also a simplisafe motion sensor in the same room. Couldn't see a manufacturer on it but didn't pull it off the wall either.

Took a year but finally identified this POS.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=122&cp_id=12212&cs_id=1091804&p_id=15902&seq=1&format=2

Looks like previous owner was trying to put multisensors in each room and got two batches of them. Now to figure out what I want to do with them. Maybe some motion sensing to lights but that doesn't work well for the rooms.

Speaking of, anyone have any problems with 2nd gen SS hub and those "GE" Z-Wave switches https://www.amazon.com/GE-Wireless-Lighting-Control-12722/dp/B0035YRCR2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1503960968&sr=8-3&keywords=z-wave I added one this weekend, and it'll go on 100% of the time in response to Alexa or SS app but only turn off occasionally. Physical button works 100% of the time though.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I've started investigating IoT and home automation again to see how it's progressed in the last couple of years, but it seems everyone still wants to monetize the poo poo out of our personal lives. Is there a particular company or ecosystem that paranoid people like me can checkout for devices/sensors/hubs that won't try to phone home all the time?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

IAmKale posted:

I've started investigating IoT and home automation again to see how it's progressed in the last couple of years, but it seems everyone still wants to monetize the poo poo out of our personal lives. Is there a particular company or ecosystem that paranoid people like me can checkout for devices/sensors/hubs that won't try to phone home all the time?

You can roll your own with Home Assistant. Talks to everything. Self hosted, no cloud. Downside: it's aimed squarely at tinkerers and devs.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Hughlander posted:

Speaking of, anyone have any problems with 2nd gen SS hub and those "GE" Z-Wave switches https://www.amazon.com/GE-Wireless-Lighting-Control-12722/dp/B0035YRCR2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1503960968&sr=8-3&keywords=z-wave I added one this weekend, and it'll go on 100% of the time in response to Alexa or SS app but only turn off occasionally. Physical button works 100% of the time though.

I have 3 of those same switches and I have no problem with them at all using the SS app or Google Home. Sounds like you got a bad unit, or if you have a bunch of other z-wave stuff you may need to repair the z-wave network.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Just want to say that Home Assistant + NodeMCU + MQTT is a lot of fun.

Random question, but why is Z-wave stuff so expensive? Is it a licensing thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Argue posted:

Anything worthwhile I can do in the Philippines with an Echo or Google Home? Things that I know don't work or aren't convenient here: some music services (Spotify works), ordering stuff on Amazon. Package tracking is virtually useless, and thermostats aren't a thing here. Either of them worth it? FWIW if it changes anything, I'm a software eng, but am not so good with the hardware stuff.

Can't speak to Google Home.

For Echo/Alexa, you can set Spotify to be your music service. You can control many home automation lights. There's an ok set of 3rd party skills, and you can write your own, basically just need to write functions that return JSON data. But I don't think Alexa is supported outside of the US, UK and Germany yet so you'd have other challenges setting it up I expect.