Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I would recommend the Fusion, followed by whichever Camry he prefers.

Is the Fusion being sold as CPO? Just personal curiosity, they're reliable cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

skipdogg posted:

I would recommend the Fusion, followed by whichever Camry he prefers.

Is the Fusion being sold as CPO? Just personal curiosity, they're reliable cars.

Nope, it's not CPO because that's not a Ford dealer. OP can you afford a 2015 Titanium trim? The extras you get with Titanium are things that make it significantly more enjoyable day-to-day IMHO. The infotainment especially on the SE is fugly and will age terribly.

Disclaimer I haven't driven a Fusion, I owned a Fiesta, but they seem really nice for what they are. The Camry is a worthy competitor also.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 24, 2017

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Based on y'all's recommendations and managing to find a few more days in my schedule, I'm probably gonna be widening the search area, and also cross-shopping Toyota Avalons along with the Fusions, if that seems about right.

also holy poo poo the Focus DCT issues :stonklol:

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Wrar posted:

Prius is the ultimate commuting device. The drivetrain is super reliable.

Test-drove a Prius, and didn't really care for it. Most of the things I could get used to, but with the only way to see my current speed being the digital readout in the dash, and its incredible faintness when viewed through sunglasses, and that I will wear sunglasses most of the time when driving, it was a deal-breaker. A shame.

Another local place has a Honda Civic Hybrid from around 2006 or so, I think. I'm a little leery because it's a bit of a sketchy used car lot, and also I don't know if Honda hybrids were that good while that old, but the price should probably be just right. Hopefully.

Am I potentially making a big mistake in pursuing it? Or should I just bite the bullet and look for something else?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Axiem posted:

Test-drove a Prius, and didn't really care for it. Most of the things I could get used to, but with the only way to see my current speed being the digital readout in the dash, and its incredible faintness when viewed through sunglasses, and that I will wear sunglasses most of the time when driving, it was a deal-breaker. A shame.

Another local place has a Honda Civic Hybrid from around 2006 or so, I think. I'm a little leery because it's a bit of a sketchy used car lot, and also I don't know if Honda hybrids were that good while that old, but the price should probably be just right. Hopefully.

Am I potentially making a big mistake in pursuing it? Or should I just bite the bullet and look for something else?

Isn't that brightness adjustable, was it all the way up?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Axiem posted:

Get something you like being in and driving. That's the most important thing. Forcing yourself to drive a car you hate is soul-crushing.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

Michael Scott posted:

Isn't that brightness adjustable, was it all the way up?

Yes, it was. When I didn't have my sunglasses on, it was fine, but something about the polarization on my sunglasses seems to mess with a lot of digital displays, such that I just can't read them. It's not a big deal when it's the radio or whatever on the center console; it matters a whole lot more when it's the only way to know whether or not I'm going to fast for the speed traps right by my house.

Deteriorata posted:

Get something you like being in and driving. That's the most important thing. Forcing yourself to drive a car you hate is soul-crushing.

This is good advice, I just get overwhelmed with the simultaneous sheer number of choices.

I did also test-drive a 2005 Civic with 200,000 miles on it, and liked it, though my first car was a '98 Civic. Thankfully, I can take a bit of time in picking out a new car, so I might just keep a constant search up for Civics and Civic Hybrids in the local area.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Axiem posted:

Yes, it was. When I didn't have my sunglasses on, it was fine, but something about the polarization on my sunglasses seems to mess with a lot of digital displays, such that I just can't read them. It's not a big deal when it's the radio or whatever on the center console; it matters a whole lot more when it's the only way to know whether or not I'm going to fast for the speed traps right by my house.

All LCD displays have a polarized filter in front of them, that's part of how they work. So all the light coming out of your displays is polarized on a particular axis. If your sunglasses are polarized at a perpendicular axis, together they block all the light and you see nothing.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Axiem posted:

This is good advice, I just get overwhelmed with the simultaneous sheer number of choices.

I did also test-drive a 2005 Civic with 200,000 miles on it, and liked it, though my first car was a '98 Civic. Thankfully, I can take a bit of time in picking out a new car, so I might just keep a constant search up for Civics and Civic Hybrids in the local area.

Take your time. There's lots of good cars out there. You can afford to be picky.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Axiem posted:

LCD displays work by polarizing light inside the display. Switch to non-polarized sunglasses for driving and you'll be fine.

As far as the car goes, if a digital speedometer is a deal breaker you're not going to want a 2006 Civic. Beyond that, the Civic Hybrid is a decent enough car, but Toyota owns a lot of patents on the magic planetary gearset transmission that makes the Prius so reliable. Honda's design isn't as sophisticated, reliable, or quite as efficient. If you can get a screaming deal on a Civic Hybrid or second-gen Insight, they're not bad cars, but for the same money the Toyota's a better buy (the first-gen Insight, incidentally, is its own special acquired taste).

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Space Gopher posted:

LCD displays work by polarizing light inside the display. Switch to non-polarized sunglasses for driving and you'll be fine.

As far as the car goes, if a digital speedometer is a deal breaker you're not going to want a 2006 Civic. Beyond that, the Civic Hybrid is a decent enough car, but Toyota owns a lot of patents on the magic planetary gearset transmission that makes the Prius so reliable. Honda's design isn't as sophisticated, reliable, or quite as efficient. If you can get a screaming deal on a Civic Hybrid or second-gen Insight, they're not bad cars, but for the same money the Toyota's a better buy (the first-gen Insight, incidentally, is its own special acquired taste).

after you've driven with polarized sunglasses, it's actually impossible to do it without them. true fact.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Hi friends. I have been driving a '99 Acura RL with 222k miles on. All of the lights are on (and have been on, and every mechanic insists it's just "the sensors"), it has randomly stalled 4 times in the two years I've had it (three of which were on the highway) and none of the mechanics seem to know why, two of the windows stopped working this summer, and when I say all of the lights are on I do mean all of them because Check Engine joined the crew a couple weeks ago (It's The Sensors) and then Side Airbag figured he'd get in on the fun when I hit a really deep puddle during a rainstorm. I've already put more money into the car than I've paid for it and pretty much live in constant fear of it stalling again during my 70 minute daily commute to/from work so I desperately need to replace it AMA.

Proposed Budget: I'm hoping less than 5k but I could probably make 6.5 work if I need to.
New or Used: Used.
Body Style: Something midsize. I don't really care as long as however many doors it has works.
How will you be using the car?: Five days a week commuting into work in the suburbs from the city. ~130 miles a week. That's really it, most of the rest of my life doesn't require a car to get around.
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability, not being goddamn huge so it fits in my tiny garage, inexpensive parts for the inevitable maintenance. The highly subjective requirement of it being something I can enjoy looking at because I love my frustrating POS Acura, on the outside at least. A keychain clicker would be cool.

Older Accord (or Civic if you want to go down to compact)? I think most cars from like early 2000s on should have remote entry.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

Space Gopher posted:

Different LCD screens seem to polarize in different ways, and some are aligned better to show up fine with my sunglasses. However, I don't think I'm going to switch sunglasses—the pair I have is the only one I've found that fits over my actual glasses comfortably at all.

quote:

As far as the car goes, if a digital speedometer is a deal breaker you're not going to want a 2006 Civic.

I don't mind a digital speedometer; I do mind not being able to tell what speed I'm going easily. I've been in cars that had both the digital and a dial, and that's perfectly fine. Or if the digital doesn't fade out from my sunglasses (like the Mini Cooper I had for a couple of years, whose digital readout wasn't affected at all by sunglasses, it seemed)

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Phone posted:

LS400 or 430.

There are, for whatever reason, 0 LS400s and only about 3 LS430s showing up within 50mi of here on cargurus, and the cheapest 430 is 9k for a 2004. The car I linked to at the end was a Lexus SC400, here's a link since the other one is broken now.

I was assuming a Lex was a bad idea because of the premium on parts compared to an XJ or f150 (or toyota/honda) or whatever. EDIT: Jesus, I just noticed that thing has a v8 in it. What the hell?

EDIT: found this (single) one on CL, It seems like lexii are even rarer than Mazdas round these parts.

moller fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 24, 2017

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I'm currently considering this certified pre-owned 2017 Ford Fusion Titanium per suggestions above. How's it look?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
2 things.

1. No pictures which is very frustrating, would avoid.

2. No free carfax included on Cars.com, it's possible they have one through the dealer but why would they screw up and not put it on Cars.com?
You can tell because it says "Get Carfax" instead of "Free Carfax"

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Michael Scott posted:

2 things.

2. No free carfax included on Cars.com, it's possible they have one through the dealer but why would they screw up and not put it on Cars.com?

:rolleyes:

http://www.fremontford.com/Certified-2017-Ford-Fusion-Newark-CA/vd/45748940

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
The 2.0L ecoboost isn't necessarily great mileage, and it takes 93 octane (I have no idea if it's okay to use lower). I own the 2017 SE with Sync 3 and the luxury package, and it's essentially the same car as the Titanium but with the 1.5L ecoboost engine (I get around 27/28 mpg). I picked it up for 21.5k before tax, so the CPO might be a little cheaper if your dad's cool with that. Purchaser's bias etc etc but I think it definitely meets the "nice car" bill.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Oh nice, I was too lazy to click through (as most consumers would be). Real big screwup on whoever handles their data feed to cars.com. Looks good!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

GenJoe posted:

The 2.0L ecoboost isn't necessarily great mileage, and it takes 93 octane (I have no idea if it's okay to use lower). I own the 2017 SE with Sync 3 and the luxury package, and it's essentially the same car as the Titanium but with the 1.5L ecoboost engine (I get around 27/28 mpg). I picked it up for 21.5k before tax, so the CPO might be a little cheaper if your dad's cool with that. Purchaser's bias etc etc but I think it definitely meets the "nice car" bill.

The 2.0L ecoboost is fine on 87 octane. The owner's manual says 87 min, 91+ recommended. You get better performance with higher octane, but 87 certainly won't do any damage to it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GenJoe posted:

A current model year used CPO can't possibly depreciate enough to make it worth buying over new can it?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

IRQ posted:

A current model year used CPO can't possibly depreciate enough to make it worth buying over new can it?

TrueCar on a '17 Titanium is $26.9k.

Dealer is asking $19.9k, 20k miles.

Doesn't include fuckery like finance incentives.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
New Fusions have poo poo loads of cash on the hood, so a new one is probably pretty close to the CPO price. New ones also have 0% financing, and I'm not sure if the CPO does.

e: 20k miles on a 2017? Jesus, someone drove the hell outta that thing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Deteriorata posted:

The 2.0L ecoboost is fine on 87 octane. The owner's manual says 87 min, 91+ recommended. You get better performance with higher octane, but 87 certainly won't do any damage to it.

Don't know how it works these days but it used to be that the engine would have to knock before the timing was retarded, which is not the end of the world but is not specifically great for the car.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

New Fusions have poo poo loads of cash on the hood, so a new one is probably pretty close to the CPO price. New ones also have 0% financing, and I'm not sure if the CPO does.

e: 20k miles on a 2017? Jesus, someone drove the hell outta that thing.

I'd put ten bucks on a fleet car.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
It was a rental vehicle https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=3FA6P0K97HR123930&partner=VSR_0

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah don't buy that.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Michael Scott posted:

2 things.

2- It's because that dealer is not actually a customer of Cars.com, and Ford is just paying to list all of their CPO inventory. You can tell because it's a franchise dealer with no new car inventory.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is there a better place for finding new or used cars in Canada than auto trader? The Canadian auto trader site loving sucks and so does the app.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

prom candy posted:

Is there a better place for finding new or used cars in Canada than auto trader? The Canadian auto trader site loving sucks and so does the app.

I don't know about Canada, but yeah AutoTrader's site/app sucks very badly, but they've got the largest selection by far compared to all the competitors.

source: For a few months a year or two ago I was programaticly aggregating vehicle inventory data across all the big auto sales sites.

stranger danger
May 24, 2006

moller posted:

There are, for whatever reason, 0 LS400s and only about 3 LS430s showing up within 50mi of here on cargurus, and the cheapest 430 is 9k for a 2004. The car I linked to at the end was a Lexus SC400, here's a link since the other one is broken now.

I was assuming a Lex was a bad idea because of the premium on parts compared to an XJ or f150 (or toyota/honda) or whatever. EDIT: Jesus, I just noticed that thing has a v8 in it. What the hell?

EDIT: found this (single) one on CL, It seems like lexii are even rarer than Mazdas round these parts.

The LS400 is the car that put Lexus on the map in America and they're known to be incredibly reliable cars. The SC400 is a good car in its own right and uses the same engine as the LS, which doesn't exactly sip fuel. You might also try to find an SC300 which uses a straight 6 instead of a V8 and should be a little more fuel efficient. Replacement parts are going to be more expensive than non-luxury cars but that's balanced out by the cars being very well-made in the first place.

Just keep in mind that any car can turn into junk if the previous owners treated it like poo poo.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I just got a car 3 months ago, but now I need another since my bank account was looking a little too flush. Sadly, I still know nothing about cars. My 2014 Volt is coming off lease in a few days, and we are looking into getting another, most likely a 2017 Volt. We originally leased because we were not sure if the battery range would increase substantially in future models that the current car would be completely obsolete, but it has only gone up about 25% over the last 3 years. We live in CA and the car was only getting about 8000 miles a year for reference.

Some questions:
I know leasing is frowned upon in general, but does that equation change any for electric cars and battery degradation questions? Is it ever worth leasing on a Volt, or is it still worth buying?
Our lease ends next thursday, but we can make due until the weekend if needed. Is it worth waiting until labor day weekend to buy for any sales, or could anything offered then also be offered now?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

stranger danger posted:

The LS400 is the car that put Lexus on the map in America and they're known to be incredibly reliable cars. The SC400 is a good car in its own right and uses the same engine as the LS, which doesn't exactly sip fuel. You might also try to find an SC300 which uses a straight 6 instead of a V8 and should be a little more fuel efficient. Replacement parts are going to be more expensive than non-luxury cars but that's balanced out by the cars being very well-made in the first place.

Just keep in mind that any car can turn into junk if the previous owners treated it like poo poo.

There just aren't that many SC300s still out there in the world. It's a bit of a unicorn. I wouldn't bother trying to find one.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pain of Mind posted:

I just got a car 3 months ago, but now I need another since my bank account was looking a little too flush. Sadly, I still know nothing about cars. My 2014 Volt is coming off lease in a few days, and we are looking into getting another, most likely a 2017 Volt. We originally leased because we were not sure if the battery range would increase substantially in future models that the current car would be completely obsolete, but it has only gone up about 25% over the last 3 years. We live in CA and the car was only getting about 8000 miles a year for reference.

Some questions:
I know leasing is frowned upon in general, but does that equation change any for electric cars and battery degradation questions? Is it ever worth leasing on a Volt, or is it still worth buying?
Our lease ends next thursday, but we can make due until the weekend if needed. Is it worth waiting until labor day weekend to buy for any sales, or could anything offered then also be offered now?

Leasing isn't necessarily frowned upon but I really do not want to get in to that discussion for the 900th time. You should lease again since a) you need a car right fucken now, and b) you don't drive very much and c) the pace of change is quite rapid in electric battery technology and d) residuals on non-Prius alt fuel vehicles are hot trash so if you buy the car and you ever want to sell it look forward to riding a depreciation curve that looks a lot like the north wall of the Eiger

Your car isn't obsolete but can you imagine a world where an ICE car has a 25% improvement in... anything at all in a three year period? The Volt 2 is quite a bit better than your 2014. The current lease special on the Volt is 36 months, 45,000 miles, $269/mo with $2,140 due at signing, plus tax title tags etc. Requires good credit but since you leased your Volt already you should be good to go. If you were a non-GM lesee you could chop another $500 off of what's due at signing but you aren't so sucks to be a loyal customer, I guess.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Hello, the OP format doesn't really work for me so I'm just going to freestyle this.

I'm a medical student in a major NE city. I haven't owned a car in almost four years, before that I owned one car that I bought off another military member (no longer in the military now), drove for two years while doing literally zero maintenance on, then resold for $300 less than I bought it for - that was the only car I've ever owned. This year, my school mandated that at the start of next year, we are all obligated to own a car and have a DL for clinical rotation sites (too many people were using non-car-owning as an excuse for not taking remote clinical rotations, or blaming mass transit/uber/etc for lateness, etc.) so I'm stuck having to buy my second car some time this year. I'm looking for four things:

1) bang for the buck reliability - if I am late one day as a result of my car it could potentially cost me more money in bad Evals affecting my career than I saved by lowering my costs, but I also don't have infinite money
2) city compatibility - again, major NE coast city, would prefer something small and easy to parallel
3) ease of discarding - I don't know if I'll still need it after I graduate in two years, so it'd be good to have something with decent resale value that won't be impossible to unload
4) be economical but still have enough room to move the non-furniture aspects of my small apartment if I leave for a new city for residency. Basically not a Fiat/Mini/Smart

Based on this, my dad recommended that I lease some sort of basic econobox, on whatever the shortest lease possible is (probably 3 years?). I was thinking of buying a certified pre-owned hatchback of some sort from a dealer where I can have some sort of assurance that it isn't hot garbage, but has already depreciated. I know next to nothing about cars and don't trust myself to be able to spot a lemon. I can afford roughly $20,000, but don't really want to spend that much.

Thanks!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

TheQuietWilds posted:

Hello, the OP format doesn't really work for me so I'm just going to freestyle this.

I'm a medical student in a major NE city.

Leasing an econobox would be fine, but really, you're a candidate for this thread's motto:

"Buy a used Prius" (not a C). They're cheap, plentiful, reliable, small enough to park, and are surprisingly good for moving stuff in. You can half your budget easily and still get a decent one.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Grumpwagon posted:

Leasing an econobox would be fine, but really, you're a candidate for this thread's motto:

"Buy a used Prius" (not a C). They're cheap, plentiful, reliable, small enough to park, and are surprisingly good for moving stuff in. You can half your budget easily and still get a decent one.

I'm sure this has been covered, but isn't buying a used Prius dangerous due to the possibility of having to replace a battery worth more than the car, and as a result also difficult to sell?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

TheQuietWilds posted:

I'm sure this has been covered, but isn't buying a used Prius dangerous due to the possibility of having to replace a battery worth more than the car, and as a result also difficult to sell?

Prius battery replacements have dramatically dropped in price (a quick google says $1000-$3000), as other manufacturers have started making them, and the expertise to replace only dead cells (instead of the entire battery) has disseminated. That said, if you have a Prius with a degraded battery, they still drive just fine, you just take a fuel economy hit. It's also rare. They're warrantied for 8 years/100k miles, and there are plenty of taxis with 200k+ on their original battery. I don't want to say it isn't a possibility, because it clearly is, but it's not as big of a deal as it used to be.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Yeah the original fears about battery replacement never really played out the way people were afraid of. It's perhaps something to be aware of when shopping/inspecting cars, but for most people it will never be an issue.

The Prius is by most objective measures the most reliable, lowest TCO car on the road. It's the epitome of boring appliance car, which is good or bad depending on what you're looking for.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Guinness posted:

The Prius is by most objective measures the most reliable, lowest TCO car on the road. It's the epitome of boring appliance car, which is good or bad depending on what you're looking for.

No that's exactly what I'm looking for. Any excitement I experience in a car in center city Philadelphia is strictly a bad thing. Thanks!

There's a selection of 2014ish certified preowned from Toyota dealers nearby in the $16k range. I assume I should be able to bargain down a bit from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One of my coworkers is about to purchase a 2010 Suzuki SX4 with the 5 speed manual. Is there anything she should be aware of before pulling the trigger?