Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Bloodly posted:

There's a build out that allows very high starting ranks for your leaders. This is taking Talented(+1), Meritoracy civic(+1), then fitting in Polytechnic Education(+1) from Exploration. Alternatively you might take the +2 to Admirals in Supremacy. 5 admirals, and level 3 to all else. You don't think much of levels but 20-25%(level 4/5) extra fire rate might be a tipping point.

Focusing builds in general gives a decisive advantage in my experience, as the mechanics are interconnected enough that specializing in one area gives you advantages across the board.

The leader skill build currently has great short-term bonuses. The coming patch will remove them for longer term bonuses.

Agrarian idyllic/inward perfection for max unity can net you super early telepaths. You also expand surprisingly well, as you can bait lots of defensive wars with cleansing, and since the galaxy will hate you, you can transition to full-time exterminators once you finish building unity.

Max influence builds gives good expansion options and sweet sweet edicts.

If nothing else, max mineral builds are always safe options.

Always take the ascension that makes blocker clearing free first. Saves you a lot of research time and money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Always take the ascension that makes blocker clearing free first. Saves you a lot of research time and money.

Its taken me a while to realize this, but this is definitely the best advice for a first Ascension pick. Insofar as the border expansion one will never net you enough resources from new mining stations to balance out the cost of clearing tiles, and the research boost one is weak on it's own and questionable in the face of dozen Sociology techs you'd never need to research anyway if you just took Master of Nature. Thematically, Master of Nature can fit with almost any type of empire you want to play, and especially for one you want to build superstructures with later on. It's really almost too good of first pick with no good competition unless you're a masochist who wants more core systems.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Are sabotage species still viable/funny? Watching everyone you ever started a migration treaty with shatter in revolt made for great comedy back in the day.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

The Bramble posted:

Its taken me a while to realize this, but this is definitely the best advice for a first Ascension pick. Insofar as the border expansion one will never net you enough resources from new mining stations to balance out the cost of clearing tiles, and the research boost one is weak on it's own and questionable in the face of dozen Sociology techs you'd never need to research anyway if you just took Master of Nature. Thematically, Master of Nature can fit with almost any type of empire you want to play, and especially for one you want to build superstructures with later on. It's really almost too good of first pick with no good competition unless you're a masochist who wants more core systems.

Mastery of Nature is so good I'm convinced it's going to be nerfed. :smith:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The Bramble posted:

But the border expansion has a much cooler symbol.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Thanks for the excellent advice gents.

I don't have any DLC yet, but I've got Utopia and Lethivs on the wishlist

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

It really is the absolute best. If the cost to remove blockers wasn't so drat high (both in minerals+energy & research) it wouldn't be such an easy choice, but as it is there is no other perk worth taking first over it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Blockers should cost no tech to remove, there should be fewer removal techs, and the tech should reduce the cost to 33 or 25 percent, because they're absolutely ridiculous at the moment. Mastery would still be good but not as amazing as it is now.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

kaffo posted:

A few questions:
*Are military stations a total waste of credits then when you can plop down spaceports?

Military stations are garbage, do not build any, and do not let your sectors build any either. Any amount of minerals you could spend on stations is better spent on just building more ships.

The exception to that is Fallen Empire military stations, those are pretty boss and will mess you up good. But this is primarily a function of being able to be built with Tachyon Lances, meaning they can engage at a range where your fleet can't shoot back; since you can't build that, just ignore them.

Aside from that, the key to winning at Stellaris is minerals. Get as many as you can, and do this by expanding as fast as possible. Terraform every planet into an ideal class, and settle everything. You'll tank your Unity generation and Research Rates, it's still plainly superior to any other approach. The valuable techs can be stolen from your enemies in the form of debris anyway. Only reason not to is if you want to forgo strength in favor of more Unity, which is fun but not as strong.

The Bramble posted:

The supremacy of Mastery of Nature has been long been position, but lately I've actually been souring on it a little, because I've found Terraforming to be much stronger overall. If you're only ever colonizing one of the three classes of planets, that really cuts down the number of techs you get to skip; might still be worth it just based on tile blocking cost though, I haven't really worked it through.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Regardless of your other considerations on it, everyone should be able to admit that Alphamod's changes to the ascension perks makes all of them viable, rather than just MoN, and does it without nerfing MoN.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Agrarian idyllic/inward perfection for max unity can net you super early telepaths
How do I get those (assuming an unmodded game)? Most of the advice on psionic stuff is either outdated or along the lines of "have a curator scientist discover two specific anomalies and get a particular event, then sacrifice a red rooster at dawn, and boom, easy psionic theory".

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Military stations are actually good in hyperlanes only games.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Ephemeron posted:

How do I get those (assuming an unmodded game)? Most of the advice on psionic stuff is either outdated or along the lines of "have a curator scientist discover two specific anomalies and get a particular event, then sacrifice a red rooster at dawn, and boom, easy psionic theory".

I think they're referring to the psionic Ascension path.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ephemeron posted:

For the civics: Inward Perfection requires you be Pacifist and Xenophobe, Agrarian Idyll requires Pacifist and not-Authoritarian. Actually just playing a run with those civics in multiplayer right now, I opened Spiritualist/Xenophobe/Pacifist. Then by pure coincidence I got the Shrine to the Old gods event, and took that opportunity to shift out of Pacifism once I had three civic trees completed, because gently caress Pacifism.

With regards to Psionic techs, it's a bit of a luck of the draw thing, but the wiki breaks down the multipliers for drawing Psionic Theory:
5x more likely if the scientist is Maniacal.
2x for Fan. Spiritualist.
Scaling multiplier for Psionic Specialty scientist based on skill level, but it's real rare to have one before Psi Theory.

Psionic Theory is also a Tier 2 tech, so you need at least eight Tier 1 Society techs researched before it can be drawn at all, and of course the game doesn't tell you what the tech tiers are, so you have to look them all up. Once you have Psi Theory, the Telepathy tech becomes permanently available right after you take the first Psionic Acension Perk.

Honestly the game really should have a tech tree, even if the techs and their effects are hidden until you're one level away or something. Especially more casual players would have no idea why they're not seeing certain techs.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

turn off the TV posted:

Military stations are actually good in hyperlanes only games.

I love hyperlane restricted games of Stellaris, the map becomes a much more important tactical layer with choke points and something resembling fronts.

Problem is even if you restrict the FTL to hyperlanes the Fallen Empires can still use their jumpdrives and jump/psi-drives will start to show up late game as usual which totally screws everything up. This is my only major complaint with unmodded Stellaris, I want FTL restrictions to actually restrict FTL for the whole game.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

For the civics: Inward Perfection requires you be Pacifist and Xenophobe, Agrarian Idyll requires Pacifist and not-Authoritarian. Actually just playing a run with those civics in multiplayer right now, I opened Spiritualist/Xenophobe/Pacifist. Then by pure coincidence I got the Shrine to the Old gods event, and took that opportunity to shift out of Pacifism once I had three civic trees completed, because gently caress Pacifism.

Honestly, if you have xphobe, just cleanse whoever wardecs you and you'll have all the wars you could ever want. It's less pacifist and more purge-ifist.

"No, guys, we really are a peaceful people! We only committed genocide against those aliens because they attacked us first. What do you mean you're going to kill us for our crimes? We only want to be left alone! Fine, we'll genocide you too, but remember, it's only in self-defense."

BurntCornMuffin fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 28, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah that works alright, but you have to sit around all day waiting for people to war-dec you, which means you only ever fight people at their strongest and you can't abuse truces like crazy.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Space Skeleton posted:

I love hyperlane restricted games of Stellaris, the map becomes a much more important tactical layer with choke points and something resembling fronts.

Problem is even if you restrict the FTL to hyperlanes the Fallen Empires can still use their jumpdrives and jump/psi-drives will start to show up late game as usual which totally screws everything up. This is my only major complaint with unmodded Stellaris, I want FTL restrictions to actually restrict FTL for the whole game.

Just lure the AI fleet into chasing one of your hyperlane fleets. The top-tier hyperlane drive's winddown+windup time is shorter than the jump drive's windup time, so a jump drive fleet that's set to chase a hyperlane fleet will never catch it as long as it keeps moving. The hyperlane fleet will jump to the next system before the jump drive fleet can start its jump, and then the jump drive fleet's jump timer will reset because it's now trying to jump to a different system, which means the hyperlane fleet can jump to the next system before the jump drive fleet can start its next jump, and so on. The only way for the jump drive fleet to catch the hyperlane fleet is to anticipate the target's route and target the next system the hyperlane fleet will jump to.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Space Skeleton posted:

Yeah, I only play hyperlanes restricted with the 'true hyperlane' mod. I consider this the way the game was meant to be played, and if Paradox disagrees, they're wrong.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, I only play hyperlanes restricted with the 'true hyperlane' mod. I consider this the way the game was meant to be played, and if Paradox disagrees, they're wrong.

Wiz stated on the stream that his favorite way to play is lanes only, and that an ftl rework is in the future.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Hyperlanes only is the only way to play. Space terrain matters.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Hyper lanes also feel best as far as the three normal drive types go. Jump drives are obviously awesome for when you need to move halfway across the galaxy, but since they aren't a starter type they don't count.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Someone ages ago posted an idea about having warp gates as map features, which could be neat. Or make them a frontier outpost-like improvement that drains a ton of influence and/or energy. If they were a more limited, strategic way of travel alongside hyperlanes instead of replacing them it could be interesting.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

misguided rage posted:

Someone ages ago posted an idea about having warp gates as map features, which could be neat. Or make them a frontier outpost-like improvement that drains a ton of influence and/or energy. If they were a more limited, strategic way of travel alongside hyperlanes instead of replacing them it could be interesting.

Double the warp gate range and make it a megastructure.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Playing Ofaloaf's "quite good" Victoria 3 mod as the neo-Papacy (max spiritualist/xenophobe) and welp.

I guess I kind of have to rival them, don't I.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Lum_ posted:

Playing Ofaloaf's "quite good" Victoria 3 mod as the neo-Papacy (max spiritualist/xenophobe) and welp.

I guess I kind of have to rival them, don't I.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Fintilgin posted:

You'll never take me from my Wormholes even with the extra expense and fiddlyness.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Bloodly posted:

You'll never take me from my Wormholes even with the extra expense and fiddlyness.

wormholes are cheaper long term because your ships don't have to pay for engines

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Fintilgin posted:

Just get a mod that un-nerfs it. Really, just get a mod that gives you it from the start, so you can make actual interesting choices with your first ascension perk. Same with auto-exploration. Who likes manual exploration anyway?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
IMO in the early game it's worth manually exploring and then a combo of manual/auto. By mid I like to be on auto.

E: mostly because the early game is when it's worth fiddling around and being optimal as you can. The rewards from it are proportionally greater and might snowball. Once you get to a point it just doesn't matter and I start sectoring and autoexploring.

Also every single game I try to snag the precursor but have only accomplished it twice. Once the cybrex were pretty far down the arm, but it was empty so it was kinda cool to send far colonies. (I've never been able to get the actual living metal from any source for some reason). The second time I'm preeety sure the game generated a new system very close to my homeworld with the big worm guys. That was a neat one, but I think I would have surveyed that system because it was within two warps from earth. 3 other times I finished the chain and either never got a message where the homeworld was or it was already grabbed by someone else instantaneously.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 29, 2017

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
MoN is going to be nerfed slightly in the next patch by it no longer removing all the resource requirements for tile unblockers, merely most of them. It's probably a good idea, as having a single pick that dominated early play isn't a sign of balance. World Shaper is an excellent replacement for non-Xenophile empires if you luck out on terraforming tech early, especially if you take Prosperity first.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Aethernet posted:

MoN is going to be nerfed slightly in the next patch by it no longer removing all the resource requirements for tile unblockers, merely most of them. It's probably a good idea, as having a single pick that dominated early play isn't a sign of balance. World Shaper is an excellent replacement for non-Xenophile empires if you luck out on terraforming tech early, especially if you take Prosperity first.

Sucks. I'd rather see them buff the other picks.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

SniperWoreConverse posted:

IMO in the early game it's worth manually exploring and then a combo of manual/auto. By mid I like to be on auto.

E: mostly because the early game is when it's worth fiddling around and being optimal as you can. The rewards from it are proportionally greater and might snowball. Once you get to a point it just doesn't matter and I start sectoring and autoexploring.

Not to drag up the whole same old argument again but I still think min/maxing should be an option and not necessary busywork.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Also every single game I try to snag the precursor but have only accomplished it twice. Once the cybrex were pretty far down the arm, but it was empty so it was kinda cool to send far colonies. (I've never been able to get the actual living metal from any source for some reason). The second time I'm preeety sure the game generated a new system very close to my homeworld with the big worm guys. That was a neat one, but I think I would have surveyed that system because it was within two warps from earth. 3 other times I finished the chain and either never got a message where the homeworld was or it was already grabbed by someone else instantaneously.

This is one thing that's annoyed me though in some playthroughs; why in a single player game are anomalies a one shot thing? I get that maybe if you take too long it makes some sense that you might not be first to discover the to secret home base of a long dead civilisation and miss out on salvage or whatever but things like strange atmospheres/lifeforms/gateways to hell, shouldn't disappear because some space slugs you've never met have seen them before you. Anyone know of a mod that fixes this?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Aethernet posted:

Well, the problem isn't really that MoN was particularly good, it's that most of the other picks are either not that good, gated behind requirements that put them off-limits for your first perk, or don't front-load their benefits nearly as much as MoN is. As an Ascension perk, MoN is fairly middling, but as a first Ascension perk, it's head-and-shoulders above "slightly more border range", "slightly faster tech", or "halved terraforming time".

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Fintilgin posted:

Sucks. I'd rather see them buff the other picks.

The problem with buffing all the other options is then Unity becomes alot more valuable for your second / third / etc. ascension unlock. Right now a Unity focused empire gets one big boost by hitting Master of Nature earlier than other empires, but if the other picks were just as good they would keep getting those huge boosts into mid-late game compared to non-Unity focused empires.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Nevets posted:

The problem with buffing all the other options is then Unity becomes alot more valuable for your second / third / etc. ascension unlock. Right now a Unity focused empire gets one big boost by hitting Master of Nature earlier than other empires, but if the other picks were just as good they would keep getting those huge boosts into mid-late game compared to non-Unity focused empires.

It's not just that. Stellaris is a game about compounding modifiers, and buffing perks for those modifiers means reducing them elsewhere, otherwise you get mad stacking effects. The science one is nice to have, but if you're playing a science-focused race stacking it with the bonus from the Discovery tree, you're going to be rolling in RP. The weakest one is probably borders, as while you can stack +border it has less direct economic effects.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It has a wonderful diplomatic effect though by turning your empire into the equivalent of an immensely fat person on a plane.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

It has a wonderful diplomatic effect though by turning your empire into the equivalent of an immensely fat person on a plane.

This mental image alone makes me want to do it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not even that much of a mental image, your empire literally grows huge billowing rolls of border push and kind of engulfs anything nearby.

It's great if a neighbor has a close by colony because there'll be this tiny peninsula of their territory sticking into an ocean of your colour.

It only gets better if you're using a mod that adds other ways to boost border push, like the planet modifier pack that gives you a change for 200% borders on a planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

It's not just that. Stellaris is a game about compounding modifiers, and buffing perks for those modifiers means reducing them elsewhere, otherwise you get mad stacking effects. The science one is nice to have, but if you're playing a science-focused race stacking it with the bonus from the Discovery tree, you're going to be rolling in RP. The weakest one is probably borders, as while you can stack +border it has less direct economic effects.
Not "buff" as in "add to the existing boring +numbers", "buff" as in "do something interesting". One of the reasons MoN is good is it drastically changes the way the game plays. +science is great, but it doesn't have the same visceral feel as suddenly not giving a poo poo about tile blockers. If the science one also immediately researched all the science building techs for you, it would have the same "cleaning the tech list" feeling as MoN. While I don't use alphamod, according to the patch notes its version of the science one also adds mega-engineering to your tech list and unlocks the Science Nexus. Bumping the benefit from 10% to 15% would probably have more of a balance impact than these combined, but it wouldn't be nearly as cool feeling.

Alphamod's Interstellar Dominion gives you two extra rivalries. How cool is that? You grab it and immediately get to tell two more sections of the galaxy to go gently caress themselves. It's active player engagement in the benefits they just received.
e:

OwlFancier posted:

With the alphamod version you also start kicking the chair of the guy in front of you.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Aug 30, 2017

• Locked thread