Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Punisher #15 from this article: http://www.avclub.com/the-punisher-s-homecoming-highlights-the-power-of-singl-1798403166

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Those boots!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

You know he stole that mug, no way Murdock or Nelson would give him one.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

He just took one. It was easy, Matt didn't see a thing!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Punisher wouldn't steal a mug, that would make him a criminal and he would have to punish himself.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

Punisher wouldn't steal a mug, that would make him a criminal and he would have to punish himself.

he commits lots of crimes, like jaywalking and driving without a license.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Dave Syndrome posted:

Ben Grimm in France during Civil War

I love this arc with Ben.

"So what you're saying is you can't hold a job."
"The dead are allowed to lay about, Grimm!"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

hup posted:

Those boots!

They're bedroom slippers!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dave Syndrome posted:

Ben Grimm in France during Civil War

Which also gave us The Thing threatening to gently caress a bunch of villains in French.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That French is so terrible. It offends me.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

They're bedroom slippers!

Oh my god even better

Does Batman even have bat slippers?

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
"Grêle Hydra" has to be a joke. It's literally using the word "Hail" as the meteorological phenomenon for frozen rain instead of... Well its other homonym. ("Vive Hydra!" Is what they meant to say).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Neige posted:

"Grêle Hydra" has to be a joke. It's literally using the word "Hail" as the meteorological phenomenon for frozen rain instead of... Well its other homonym. ("Vive Hydra!" Is what they meant to say).

In an issue replete with wordplay and puns? You might be on to something.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
That's neither wordplay or a pun, and a reader would have to be bilingual to catch the... Whatever-that-was. I'm rereading the panels, and "Barte" is probably meant to be "batre" instead, and even then the sentence wouldn't be correct. Incompetency seems to be more likely than any attempts at humor.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

"It's the Thing in Paris. I wouldn't approve expensing a translator even if it were part of the main story. Just google it!" - every big two editor.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Someone put some words in google translate and then didn't even copy them into the comic correctly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Someone put some words in google translate and then didn't even copy them into the comic correctly.

La surmonter.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
How hard can it be to find a native French speaker? Even if you don't know anyone, it takes seconds to find one on the internet.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

davidspackage posted:

How hard can it be to find a native French speaker? Even if you don't know anyone, it takes seconds to find one on the internet.

Use a Quebecer and see if the ability to piss off actual French extends to writing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mets-en.

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Use a Quebecer and see if the ability to piss off actual French extends to writing.

You don't even have to, just put a bakery in the background with "Chocolatine" written on it and we'll fight amongst ourselves.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

davidspackage posted:

Easy now, 2006 not all writers were using the Internet. The bad German I've seen over the years...

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It would be fine if its was just Ben's stuff all hosed up, because nothing about him has ever suggested he'd pick up a new language on the fly and I can imagine him trying to use one of those little electronic phrasebooks and complaining that his fingers are too much so he keeps getting it wrong.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Neige posted:

This is what happens when you trust Google translate.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
There's an issue of Bendis's Daredevil where he very obviously used Google Translate for some German and had no idea what he was saying. It was total nonsense that I saw some native German speakers really confused by.

I barely remember any of it, but the one that sticks out is a guy shouting "Schieben Sie ihn!" which is basically a polite way of asking a stranger or like your boss or something to push someone. What he likely meant was "Erschieß ihn," or "shoot him," but he couldn't tell the different between ß and B, so he wrote schieben rather than schießen.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

he commits lots of crimes, like jaywalking and driving without a license.

Also murdering people. With machine guns. And sometimes explosives.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Death Note everybody

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone know what they translated the Thing's 'foutre' into when they published the French version of that comic?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

a kitten posted:

Death Note everybody

I am simply AGHAST that Willem Dafoe didn't feel the need to read all of this!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ecavalli posted:

Truly this intentionally silly 4-panel joke comic should be ashamed of itself.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

a kitten posted:

Death Note everybody

https://twitter.com/avpdrey/status/901609893840478209

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ecavalli posted:

Willem Dafoe was Norman Osbourne, he should be thankfully people are giving him stuff to read at all.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I love Scott Pilgrim so much.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Rhyno posted:

I love Scott Pilgrim so much.

It really was great. I haven't found his other stuff to be as engaging, though I haven't tried that Snot thing he's done yet. I should reread Scott Pilgrim.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Why do I think of Micheal Cera whenever someone mentions Scott Pilgrim?
Ive never read any of that stuff

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Johnny Aztec posted:

Why do I think of Micheal Cera whenever someone mentions Scott Pilgrim?
Ive never read any of that stuff

Because he played Scott Pilgrim in the film adaption of Scott Pilgrim?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Oh. I never saw that. Maybe I saw a poster or something?
anyway, mystery solved. Good work, gang!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Willem Dafoe was Norman Osbourne, he should be thankfully people are giving him stuff to read at all.

He was also Jesus Christ, show some respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

He was also Jesus Christ, show some respect.

GODSPEED SINNERS