Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Smiling Jack posted:

Why the gently caress would you mail your passport

If you don't live near a consulate, or the visa issuing authority is inside the country you want to go to, you need to mail the passport to them to have the visa inserted. This is pretty standard, I had to leave my passport at the Chinese consulate for a few days when I got my visa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

tastefully arranged labia posted:

If you don't live near a consulate, or the visa issuing authority is inside the country you want to go to, you need to mail the passport to them to have the visa inserted. This is pretty standard, I had to leave my passport at the Chinese consulate for a few days when I got my visa.

I had to overnight mine to a visa processing service in DC for this. FedEx is pretty reliable, the processing service the company wanted me to use was poo poo.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Smiling Jack posted:

Why the gently caress would you mail your passport

Yeah, I mean unless you had another one.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

jfc that sounds dumb

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
It seemed like a bad idea from the second I read it in the reporting instructions but again it was written in larger font and red ink instead of black to mail it. I even emailed my sponser and he said he did it no problem. Turns out that was a lie. When he found out mine was missing he said that yeah it was dumb to have that in the reporting instructions and that he remembers telling me he mailed his but misrembered doing that and he had actually hand carried it.

I think they took it out of the reporting instructions after losing 100% of the passports sent to them for at least some period of time.

Edit: I also didn't mail it myself the readiness office did and I thought they would use some military mail system to do it instead of just completely loving up. Best part was when they tried to say in a group email my sponsor made this requirement up and that it wasn't in the reporting instructions and then I just replied all with the reporting instructions and I got left off any further group emails from the readiness office.

Cenen fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 25, 2017

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I do not miss the behavior of constant lying, covering up, and making up rules with zero consequences that the military breeds seemingly on purpose.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

not caring here posted:

I do not miss the behavior of constant lying, covering up, and making up rules with zero consequences that the military breeds seemingly on purpose.

This here is the root of a lot of my mental ptsd. I had my last leader literally say " I hate getting yelled at, I'd do anything to not get in trouble, even sell you all out" I also had a habitual liar who would make up lies on the spot and believe them. The decent people who performed well by actions always got spit on and chewed up. Because of something is hosed up and you say something, you're a part of the problem.

Edit: clarification he said that in a safety brief before a 4 day weekend.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Re: good people getting hosed.

I've told this before probably:

Guys wife was like eight months pregnant and had been having complications. We were going to the field. No phones allowed. I was his team leader. He asked me if he could bring his phone to check on his wife. I said no, but I would be bringing mine and he could use it anytime. That way I get busted for having a phone.

I had this idea that as a TL, it was part of your job to shield your dudes from trouble, even if they were doing something worth getting in trouble over. Handle things at the lowest level possible.

End of the night he asks me if he can call. I give him my phone and tell him to go to the woodline like he is pissing and do his thing.

He comes back 10 minutes later and tells me his wife is bleeding from the crotch and needs to go to the ER.

We go to the PSG. I tell the PSG that the dude needs to get to his wife and baby.

First thing he says to me: "why do you have your phone?" Zero regard for the emergency at hand.

Long story short, I got a counseling statement, dude went home and took his wife to the ER but had to be back with the first truck the next morning at 5am.

We also had a huge baby boom after deployment. Dudes getting their wives knocked up left and right, including two of my soldiers.

When it came near the due date as well as after, I would cut them loose every day and whatever work that needed to be done that they would usually do (cleaning, for example) I would do it, that way they could spend time with their families. I always believed that since I can't pay my dudes more money, I can pay them in time.

Got a counseling statement for that and they moved the two guys with kids to another squad and stuck me with barracks rats.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

good people getting hosed.

Literally what my first 1sg said to me as I got sent out to the field for some bullshit support detail. Again.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
As a team leader I would gently caress your life up if you hosed up, but I made a conscious effort to make sure my dudes had what they needed to be mentally healthy and taken care of.

Which is not how you team leader :eng101:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's effectively no difference between butterbars and SNCOs in terms of incredibly retarded orders you should ignore or get around somehow

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I always protected my soldiers until I had someone literally throw me under the bus as I was standing at parade rest taking responsibility for the whole thing, and then he comes in with "oh yeah, I DID..." and everyone just stares at him. Like it stopped being about me for a second and they were like "are you goddamn stupid? He is letting you walk and you're making GBS threads on him right now, don't forget YOU are the one who was the one who was originally at fault. I was acting on orders. My orders were superseded.

Edit: I chewed him out in front of my bosses because they both knew that poo poo was some bullshit and he was gonna get it.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Larry Parrish posted:

There's effectively no difference between butterbars and SNCOs in terms of incredibly retarded orders you should ignore or get around somehow

SNCOs are worse; they should know better. An O-1 fresh out of ROTC or OTS or 4 years of Academy indoctrination only knows "leadership" from lectures and playing pretend with his peers.

I have a lot less tolerance for a retarded E-7 than I do for a young, dumb E-3 or O-1 (i.e., all E-3s and O-1s).

Btw, the real idiots are any active duty who don't get their free annual National Parks pass. It might be the best benefit I've ever gotten. Also, Canada is giving out free passes to their parks for their 150th anniversary; there's still a window of decent weather to make use of that to go see Banff or Jasper.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Soulex posted:

I always protected my soldiers until I had someone literally throw me under the bus as I was standing at parade rest taking responsibility for the whole thing,

did you get medsepped after the bus ran you over?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

did you get medsepped after the bus ran you over?

gently caress bad goddamn use of literally. I am sorry.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Derek Dominoe posted:

SNCOs are worse; they should know better. An O-1 fresh out of ROTC or OTS or 4 years of Academy indoctrination only knows "leadership" from lectures and playing pretend with his peers.

I have a lot less tolerance for a retarded E-7 than I do for a young, dumb E-3 or O-1 (i.e., all E-3s and O-1s).

Btw, the real idiots are any active duty who don't get their free annual National Parks pass. It might be the best benefit I've ever gotten. Also, Canada is giving out free passes to their parks for their 150th anniversary; there's still a window of decent weather to make use of that to go see Banff or Jasper.

lol who is active duty and has time to travel to national parks?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Hey, you know that if you're on active duty you can get a free unlimited pass to the motor pool??

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:lol: Yeah I remember that one time on AD where I could take a whole week off.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Godholio posted:

How?

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Derek Dominoe posted:

Anyone who's at JBLM PM me about getting a National Parks pass, particularly if you've got soldiers who need them.

Stultus Maximus posted:

lol who is active duty and has time to travel to national parks?

It covers any federal recreational land, so you can go boating at Army Corps lakes or walk around wildlife refuges or get into Forest Service fee areas. Everyone is within an hour or two's drive of somewhere they can use it.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
One of the few not idiotic things I did was get this card for free.

It expired last year but it got me into Zion and the Grand Canyon for free. Went to more state parks and stuff this year.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Cenen posted:

One of the few not idiotic things I did was get this card for free.

It expired last year but it got me into Zion and the Grand Canyon for free. Went to more state parks and stuff this year.

We hit as many as we could during our PCS and are within driving distance of several at our current base. Zion alone was worth it.

Godholio posted:

Even the pit of despair known as Tinker has several within a few hours.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

gently caress

and i thought my survivor's guilt was bad

VileRat and I talked about who was going to take which leg of the Benghazi TDY.

He joked he was going to get the both of us killed.

E: For clarity

TCD fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 26, 2017

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

TCD posted:

VileRat and I talked about the Benghazi TDY.

He joked he was going to get the both of us killed.

I miss VileRat :(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Derek Dominoe posted:

Even the pit of despair known as Tinker has several within a few hours.

My kid lived two states away. Like I was going to vacation locally, even if the opportunity ever arose.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Godholio posted:

My kid lived two states away. Like I was going to vacation locally, even if the opportunity ever arose.

Godholio posted:

Embrace your AF-free happy place, amigo.

Everyone who isn't Godholio go enjoy nature's beauty for free.

For Godholio:

Go climb Angel's Landing in Zion. Long hike, but worth it unless you hate heights.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Oh yeah, I see my kid every few weeks. He spent a week here earlier this month. Life is way the gently caress better.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Derek Dominoe posted:

Embrace your AF-free happy place, amigo.

Everyone who isn't Godholio go enjoy nature's beauty for free.

For Godholio:

Go climb Angel's Landing in Zion. Long hike, but worth it unless you hate heights.

Goddamn the Mormons named that place appropriately, I need to take a road trip there someday.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

As Nero Danced posted:

Goddamn the Mormons named that place appropriately, I need to take a road trip there someday.

Yeah I've been to quite a few national parks and Zion is probably the prettiest one that I've seen.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I wish I could still hike. :(

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've only been to Zion once for a day trip in the early spring but it was nice. Snow wasn't ice packed and hardly anyone was in the park. I'd argue that Yosemite or Desolation wilderness is cooler though. Mostly because I'm from near those places

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yosemite seems like a really cool place.

My real goal is to camp in the redwood forest. Right next to a big fucker. I don't want t climb it or do something stupid. I just want to be surrounded by a massive natural force and be in awe.

That being said, if anyone has not seen the Grand Canyon in person, you are doing yourself a disservice. A massive disservice

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Redwoods are overrated because trust me the cedar duff and the bark fibers getting into your everything gets old fast

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Larry Parrish posted:

Redwoods are overrated because trust me the cedar duff and the bark fibers getting into your everything gets old fast

It's a little true. But go and see them and Yosemite. It's truly marvelous to see nature that perfect.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

If you don't rub it all over your junk and taint I don't think this will be an issue.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Joshua Tree National Park is really loving awesome.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Denali is really cool

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Wildlife safari at the San Diego zoo is the best

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

milk milk lemonade posted:

Wildlife safari at the San Diego zoo is the best

Been meaning to go. Been moving and it's been super loving rough because we really want to go and have he annual pass but just don't have time.

And yeah, just wanna go once to see it. Not live there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Anything in Oregon is the tits and i'll fukken fight you IRL if you disagree