Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Inescapable Duck posted:

Wouldn't be surprised, reminded how Transformers Animated had to end early and The Hub briefly existed entirely because Hasbro was sick of CN's poo poo, apparently.

Transformers Animated was a good show.

Hey, that reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask, did the Michael Bay movies just eventually kill the need to make Tranformers cartoons? After Prime there was supposed to be that follow up series, and then uh nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
No. Rescue bots either only finished recently or is still going, prime has a sequel series that no one talks about that is going, there's a machinema tie in to the g1 homage toyline. Plus the comics are still going.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Heck the reason why it's called Transformers: Animated in the first place is to differentiate itself from the Michael Bay film

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Rescue Bots just finished and a new series called Rescue Bots Academy is coming out.

RID is winding down.

And next year we're getting a new series called Transformers Cyberverse.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Rescue Bots also has the odd distinction of being the longest running show in the franchise.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

in terms of a single series, I guess it does.

in terms of stories that directly continue into each other, the Japanese version of the G1 cartoon and it's, uh, four spinoffs eclipse it by a bit, as does the Unicron Trilogy, which all had over 52 episodes.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Back when it was all about "spinjitsu" where the ninjas all spun like tops to fight eachother I thought Ninjago was the stupidest poo poo, but I was passing by a shelf the other day and I realized it was just a pastiche of a bunch of wacky things that kids love, and you know what? That's pretty good.

I do feel like it's a bit of a shame that Lego has become very reliant a few big brands, but that may just be me being a nostalgic idiot for the slew of semi-generic stuff that I enjoyed as a kid.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

in terms of a single series, I guess it does.

in terms of stories that directly continue into each other, the Japanese version of the G1 cartoon and it's, uh, four spinoffs eclipse it by a bit, as does the Unicron Trilogy, which all had over 52 episodes.

I mean, you're not wrong, but I always laugh when people try to include Masterforce in the 'main' continuity, because it's so clearly an unrelated kids-pilot-mecha anime that they slapped the brand on to at the last minute.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's funny when people act like Transformers is a kooky piece of nostalgia when the franchise has almost never been off the air since the 80s in various forms.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, you're not wrong, but I always laugh when people try to include Masterforce in the 'main' continuity, because it's so clearly an unrelated kids-pilot-mecha anime that they slapped the brand on to at the last minute.

Not really? There are the usual continuity errors, but the show draws pretty heavily from plot points left over from Headmasters by the end of it.

Not to mention it's still using existing TF toys as the basis for all its characters. It's more that they added more traditional mecha aspects and human characters to it to increase its appeal to a Japanese audience.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Beast Wars is also in continuity with the G1 show.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Inescapable Duck posted:

It's funny when people act like Transformers is a kooky piece of nostalgia when the franchise has almost never been off the air since the 80s in various forms.

It's kind of weirdly both in a way. It's been doing reboots and selling new characters for thirty years but there's a HUGE draw for being as much like that original 1984 cartoon as possible. There's two toylines (generations and masterpieces), most of the little collectables are 1984 cartoon characters, there's a giant third party scene if those first two toylines aren't enough like the cartoon's cels in physical form, and it gets the most references in other media.

Like there was a Marvel comic before the cartoon that has its own little quirks and it does not get referenced as much, what sells it that 33 year old cartoon STILL.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Hemingway To Go! posted:

It's kind of weirdly both in a way. It's been doing reboots and selling new characters for thirty years but there's a HUGE draw for being as much like that original 1984 cartoon as possible. There's two toylines (generations and masterpieces), most of the little collectables are 1984 cartoon characters, there's a giant third party scene if those first two toylines aren't enough like the cartoon's cels in physical form, and it gets the most references in other media.

Like there was a Marvel comic before the cartoon that has its own little quirks and it does not get referenced as much, what sells it that 33 year old cartoon STILL.

The Marvel comic does get referenced a fair amount actually, Primus is from it for example

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
At this point Primus is in the mythos enough that referencing him isn't really a comics reference, like Sparks aren't a Beast Wars reference.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
This Saturday and Sunday Channel 4 France is showing the first 5 episodes of Wakfu's season 3 three weeks early, there wasn't a notice about it as far as I'm aware on their twitter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7p8z-7N8dw

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Inescapable Duck posted:

It's probably because in the US between G1 and Beast Wars, it had been basically 9 years since anything new Transformers cartoon related appeared on tv. It was all just reruns from the original show up until that point. I didn't even hear about the continuing G1 stuff in Japan until years after the fact. Also I think most people try to push the Unicron trilogy out of their heads.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Holy poo poo this Gumball.

E: "That...is the worst case of J-Pop I've ever seen."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Good Listener posted:

It's probably because in the US between G1 and Beast Wars, it had been basically 9 years since anything new Transformers cartoon related appeared on tv. It was all just reruns from the original show up until that point. I didn't even hear about the continuing G1 stuff in Japan until years after the fact. Also I think most people try to push the Unicron trilogy out of their heads.

And no one remembers the comedic 90s anime Robots In Disguise to the point where they made a new show with the same subtitle. :argh:

It had Sky-Byte!

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Inescapable Duck posted:

And no one remembers the comedic 90s anime Robots In Disguise to the point where they made a new show with the same subtitle. :argh:

It had Sky-Byte!

Yeaaa and then they had to change the name of the Robots in DIsguise COMICS so they could start one under the new RID and :psyduck:

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Inescapable Duck posted:

It had Sky-Byte!

It had like thirty autobots to single digit whatever they were. I don't think they were even called decepticons in the old series.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

McTimmy posted:

It had like thirty autobots to single digit whatever they were. I don't think they were even called decepticons in the old series.

The original villains in RID 2001 were Predacons, and included Megatron and his minions Slapper, Darkscream, Gas Skunk, and Sky-Byte. There WERE Decepticons in RID in the form of Scourge and the Commandos. It's basically a reverse of how it was in G1-BW; Predacons were first and Decepticons came later.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

2001 RID was definitely one of the most 'cartoony' of the Transformers shows, oddly enough, depending on how you count G1. (Which seems to have some interesting stuff in there but I find the animation and sound quality make G1 unwatchable for me) You're right in that the Autobots were pretty overstaffed, though in turn even the goofier Predacons were genuine threats when they got their poo poo together. And Megatron was like, a six-changer.

Had the obligatory anime teenager whose dad was being held captive by Decepticons for the first season, the not quite as obligatory anime computer girl, and that poor woman who was always somehow getting caught up in Transformer shenanigans.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Was that the one with the anime attacks/fire convoy? Where Bumblebee would fire his lasser and it would go to a cutscene style cutaway and he would yell "Missile Barrage!!" Or the like?

Because I used to think that was fun and then the CGI trilogy happened and thats when toonami died.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There was no Bumblebee in RID 2001.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A bit of that, though Bumblebee wasn't in it. It had Side Swipe instead, the sports car who was always hitting on red sports cars (almost always with Kelly in them) and not quite getting that Earth ones aren't sentient.

Mostly it had more combiners on the cast than anything since G1, and paid a little more attention to scale, so Team Bullet Train were goddamn huge.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Side Burn, not Sideswipe.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

More like RIP

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TFRazorsaw posted:

Side Burn, not Sideswipe.

Thassit. Look, can you blame me for not keeping all these car names straight? I'm starting to see why since the Bayformers movies every version just uses the same names now.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TFRazorsaw posted:

FilthyImp posted:

Where Bumblebee would fire his lasser and it would go to a cutscene style cutaway and he would yell "Missile Barrage!!" Or the like?
:thejoke:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So I've never really just channel flipped in a while, but I'm on Disney XD right now and this "The Attack" show looks like Disney just decided to harvest G4's corpse for parts and made their own video game/random content. It's so bizarre.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 3, 2017

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ok I'm watching Star Vs and what the heck is going on with the tone of the show? Like I knew pathos was gonna happen but the last episode of S1 and first episode of S2 (new wand/Ludo in the wild) are just so loving strange. Like Adventure Time later seasons strange. Is the whole second season like this?? Or is it just some sort of temporary midlife crisis the show had?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
poo poo gets real because Star can't run from the responsibility of becoming Queen and actually learning how to use her wand.

But part of her coming to terms with it means embracing what makes her unique so it works out.

It's similar to how Stephen Universe got way, way more into exploring the characters, concepts and world in its own second season.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I mean I don't have a problem with any of that, it's just the direction style itself feels completely different, like the story's being told in adult swim style rapid-cut vignettes with barely any music.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
outside of Nefcy herself (who's still the showrunner), most of the writers and boarders from season 1 either left (including season 1's other major producers) or got promoted (like the director and boarder responsible for rewriting the episodes Mewberty, Blood Moon Ball, Mewnipendence Day, and Storm the Castle from the ground up becoming a producer and creative director respectively)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I find season 1 to be pretty rough in retrospect while Season 2 has many of my best episodes, so. Worth sticking with if you enjoyed the first season I'd think.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I keep telling myself I'll try to watch that show at some point but I keep hearing pretty much when it's good it's good but otherwise I might not be missing much by not watching. It's tricky and also I'm a lazy boy a lot of the time with tv shows unless I have friends to watch with :nyoron:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Quest For Glory II posted:

I mean I don't have a problem with any of that, it's just the direction style itself feels completely different, like the story's being told in adult swim style rapid-cut vignettes with barely any music.

Ludo in the Wild was an experimental episode, but (For better or for worse) it's very much a one-off, and the show goes back to more typical episodes after that.

Good Listener posted:

I keep telling myself I'll try to watch that show at some point but I keep hearing pretty much when it's good it's good but otherwise I might not be missing much by not watching. It's tricky and also I'm a lazy boy a lot of the time with tv shows unless I have friends to watch with :nyoron:

If you can need more convincing you can always check the overly detailed OP of the Star thread, but I'd definitely recommend it. One thing to keep in mind is that it's very much in an upward swing quality-wise right now, and older reviews or recommendations may not reflect everything that happened in the last half of the 2nd season and the 3rd season opener.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 4, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Ludo in the Wild was also Awesome. Love that little guy. :3:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Ludo in the wild is one of my personal favourite episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The best way to promote your Labor Day special is with a big bug that literally shouts LABOR DAY! over the show you're watching. This is a good idea from Cartoon Network.