Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
On the plus side, several cosmetic mods are mostly functional already (Military Camos being a big one). Other big names like Capnbubs aren't doing as well but should be fixed by the time I get my key. No word on Individual Arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Quick quesiton, is Don't Waste My Time not needed anymore with the Zip function?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So I know some cosmetic mods work, but what about voice mods, are they safe?
(I am also thinking about using a bunch of map mods, but I'll probably hold back to enjoy the new map parcels)

On a different and more vague note, are vanilla swords still bad? I only played vanilla xcom before they buffed swords in a number of patches and back then I personally edited the ini to make swords better and I'm curious if I have to do it again.

Speaking of ini edits, I can't wait to look at the dynamic name generator so I might make it possible to do really silly things like possibly name the Templar faction "Brain Wizards"

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Tae posted:

Quick quesiton, is Don't Waste My Time not needed anymore with the Zip function?

I don't think so. Even the Gremlin travel times got cut in half.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
e: false alarm, just got a delivery confirmation from Amazon. So at least it's pretty certain the 10$ thing worked

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also everyone remember the weird thing that all the faction icons are procedurally generated every game.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bholder posted:

On a different and more vague note, are vanilla swords still bad? I only played vanilla xcom before they buffed swords in a number of patches and back then I personally edited the ini to make swords better and I'm curious if I have to do it again.

They buffed swords in that a Blademaster Ranger will now also have +10% accuracy, bringing them up to 100% accuracy on most enemies except only the most agile (and now, having 100% chance to hit negates a chance for the enemy to dodge too, so take that, Vipers!). I don't think the actual damage got boosted but Sectoids still take extra damage from swords, plus some Chosen can randomly have weaknesses to melee attacks now.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Bholder posted:

So I know some cosmetic mods work, but what about voice mods, are they safe?
(I am also thinking about using a bunch of map mods, but I'll probably hold back to enjoy the new map parcels)

Speaking of ini edits, I can't wait to look at the dynamic name generator so I might make it possible to do really silly things like possibly name the Templar faction "Brain Wizards"

IIRC, swords received one or two microscopic buffs along the way, but the fact is they're still vastly inferior to shotguns for a number of reasons. I'm not saying to NEVER use a sword attack, but more often than not, a shotgun attack will be more useful. More damage potential, better abilities, and you don't need to run out into the wild unknown to make an attack with it, risking activating more enemies.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

BlazetheInferno posted:

IIRC, swords received one or two microscopic buffs along the way, but the fact is they're still vastly inferior to shotguns for a number of reasons. I'm not saying to NEVER use a sword attack, but more often than not, a shotgun attack will be more useful. More damage potential, better abilities, and you don't need to run out into the wild unknown to make an attack with it, risking activating more enemies.

Swords are mostly useful for their secondary effects as stun and burning are very powerful.

And once you get the Assassin's sword it has a base damage higher than a plasma shotgun, can't miss and pierces 5 armor. So it'll probably be worth using at least some. No burn tho.

And the Hunter Axe's increased damage makes it much more competitive than the base swords.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

BlazetheInferno posted:

There's also something to be said for a blademaster's ability to counterattack enemies that come in close. Sure, you could overwatch shoot ONE of them, but what if a couple Chrysalids bum rush you; you'll be glad you had that flaming machete.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

BlazetheInferno posted:

Shotguns and Rapid Fire received substantial nerfs in War of the Chosen, however. Which indirectly buffs swords.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

apparently i preordered some expansion for $10 what's in this thing

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Shotguns and Rapid Fire received substantial nerfs in War of the Chosen, however. Which indirectly buffs swords.

I know Shotguns lost 10 crit, did they finally put a cooldown on Rapid Fire?

Super No Vacancy posted:

apparently i preordered some expansion for $10 what's in this thing

XCOM is now Fire Emblem. Please enjoy.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Zore posted:

I know Shotguns lost 10 crit, did they finally put a cooldown on Rapid Fire?

XCOM is now Fire Emblem. Please enjoy.

5 turn cooldown on Rapid Fire.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Hot drat.

Well, Chain Shot's looking a lot better now huh? :v:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

does that mean i can eugenics an anime army for maximum efficiency because hell yeah if so

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

does that mean i can eugenics an anime army for maximum efficiency because hell yeah if so

More that they added a support system and dual strikes.

also a fun photo booth.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

sick

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Amazon just charged me 10$ for the expansion. It worked!

:coal:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Uh, these Lost enemies seem very annoying to deal with, unless they balanced it by giving everyone the ability to kill 8 enemies per turn?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Tae posted:

Uh, these Lost enemies seem very annoying to deal with, unless they balanced it by giving everyone the ability to kill 8 enemies per turn?

There is a headshot mechanic where if you kill you get to keep killing.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Tae posted:

The literal gimmick is that killing them doesn't cost an action. So yes, everyone can kill like 8 of them a turn if they don't miss any shots.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Jabor posted:

The literal gimmick is that killing them doesn't cost an action. So yes, everyone can kill like 8 of them a turn if they don't miss any shots.

Oh, I didn't know that.

Wait, doesn't that mean you're basically required to carry a Sniper for their unlimited pistol?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Oh, I didn't know that.

Wait, doesn't that mean you're basically required to carry a Sniper for their unlimited pistol?

No, they usually don't come in massive packs (like beyond 10 or so) and you can use actions between reloads. Even with 4 soldiers you have a minimum of 12 shots at max ammo.

Also later you'll get variants that aren't one-shot by pistols.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I went back a page to see if anyone else got the Amazon deal in time. You guys are loving babies.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Will I miss out on much if I dont have Shen's last gift or alian hunters?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Will I miss out on much if I dont have Shen's last gift or alian hunters?

You miss out on a fun robot class without Shen's Last Gift.

Alien Hunters is more divisive. It has some really cool 1/off equipment and fun boss fights but some people don't like them because they break the normal rules by getting an action after each action your dudes take.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Goddamn that's a big fuckin nerf. No CD was nuts, 5 feels like way too much. Rangers just got shitcanned lol

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

how come none of the steam workshop gimmicks has been updated in like 16 months

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

wuffles posted:

Goddamn that's a big fuckin nerf. No CD was nuts, 5 feels like way too much. Rangers just got shitcanned lol

I mean, it puts it on par with Overdrive or Chain shot and helps bring down XCOMs killing power. Its a good change imo.

If people want to bitch about endgame being easy mode, no CD Rapid Fire needs to be tuned way the gently caress down as a huge part of that. It also makes Reaper competitive.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Are we at the "less than an hour until release, time to freak out and post a thousand times in the thread" stage?

Because I love that stage. Wallowing in the shared misery helps me deal with the fact that I don't have the game yet myself.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Zore posted:

I mean, it puts it on par with Overdrive or Chain shot and helps bring down XCOMs killing power. Its a good change imo.

Except neither one of those is a capstone ability.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's fine, rapid fire was grossly OP and a five turn cd puts it on other abilities like Void and Hail of Bullets. Also yes, running a shotgun/sword hybrid is looking more appealing now.

Question: Is there any bundle that has everything yet? I'm still on the base game and was holding off on the DLC until some 'complete' shenanigans came out that includes the WotC and DLCs both. Does it exist yet?

LordNat
May 16, 2009
HOLY GOD WHERE IS MY KEY!!! drat YOU HUMBLE STORE!!!!
But really there is no preload. why are people freaking out about keys?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

wuffles posted:

Except neither one of those is a capstone ability.

Okay, it puts it on par with Saturation Fire and Rupture shot or Fanfire. All of which are capstones.

Literally every other capstone ability has a 3+ turn cooldown or charges per mission.

Except Nova, and Nova has a soft cap based on the increasing damage it does to the SPARK.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
if you kill multiple lost dudes with one action do you get multiple bonus actions

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

quite stretched out posted:

if you kill multiple lost dudes with one action do you get multiple bonus actions

No, you only get the refund for normal shots. Not for melee or any special abilities.

Which blows for the Templar since they only have a lovely machine pistol to shoot with. Their psy-blades don't get the refund.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

LordNat posted:

HOLY GOD WHERE IS MY KEY!!! drat YOU HUMBLE STORE!!!!
But really there is no preload. why are people freaking out about keys?

Preload would've been nice, I won't be able to hardly play this game before getting Mario XCOM though.

Edit: Green Man Gaming must be getting hammered, my account page loaded up slooooow just now.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The only time I ever used Rapid Fire more than once on a mission was during the long story ones, since combat is usually resolved in like 3 turns or so anyway :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

wuffles posted:

You get weapons for killing the chosen, the assassin weapons drops some very busted loot for Rangers of both varieties. Specifically a sword that doesn't miss.