Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Len posted:

That's what happens when your game comes out and it's the same game all these people didn't like in 2012

In some ways it's honestly worse.

A newbie could somewhat easily get up to par gearwise in TSW. Now it's almost impossible.

DancingShade posted:

I still log on to do the first cluster of dailies since it's a good way to maintain skill point progression as the kaidan missions give a nice amount of XP. If you choose your missions wisely it's very quick.

But otherwise time is precious etc so that's about all I generally get up to.

Which do you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Tallgeese posted:

A newbie could somewhat easily get up to par gearwise in TSW. Now it's almost impossible.

Before SWL was announced I had re-installed OLD Secret World and got ran through Transylvania and then some elite dungeons a couple of times and ended up with solid enough gear and tons of Black Bullion without any real hassle. The idea of helping get a new player to endgame stuff (ie, to play with people who have been playing) without investing weeks of time playing alongside them seems like a loving hassle.

It's easier to get your existing fanbase to rope in new players for you when they can actually play with them fun and productively.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Yep. I got one weapon to orange and only because the fusion thingie dropped from a bag. Otherwise, I dont know, its just too much grind.

They went into the opposite direction of what their single-player MMO used to be. You want signets? Either go into lair raids or grind MOF like a slave.

E: Also, seconding that you post your quick Kaidan mission rotation.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tallgeese posted:

Which do you do?

I am bad with mission names so I'm going to be descriptive instead. In no specific order:

The one Japanese Elvis gives you where you follow a filth skidmark over the north shore and use hubcaps to block drains. Do the killquests on the way or not as you see fit (they're only 8 each so maybe do them?). Definitely hand in the oni mask at the end though.

The home alone apartment complex where the autistic boy and his hacker sister live. Quick mission and you'll get ~30 kills out of it too which is a big chunk of your daily.

The mission from the hot baths that sends you to the parking garage with instant kill creepy little girl ghosts. Also quick once you know the level well and which ghosts you can simply run past. (hint: all the last 2 levels in one run if you time the doors well)

All of the above should net you all the main missions, side missions, 50+ kills and obviously enough stuff to enchant with so the higher paying dailies should be all done. They also have good XP rewards which you can sink into whatever.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Thanks. All 3 of them even have a side mission attached.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I have a Kaiden rotation but it's for the second half of dailies and even then mostly the side missions

First half: 3 scenarios, 3 bounty missions for whatever i'm trying to grind kills for I was doing wisps, excavators, zombie warriors in kingsmouth, fuse poo poo.

Second half: Ricky Pagan 2 (main mission), deep one bounty (side), oni bounty (side), oni mask (side), bounce to Gozen and grab at minimum her hell device side mission (side), brotherly loathe (main), kill the fuun (side), return blade to gozen (side), 3 dungeons

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Tallgeese posted:

Capntastic posted:

The idea of helping get a new player to endgame stuff (ie, to play with people who have been playing) without investing weeks of time playing alongside them seems like a loving hassle.
People can start running elites the moment they hit 50 and it's even possible to carry a few newbies on a lair run, so I'd hardly say it's impossible or takes weeks to get people into endgame. If raids follow the trend of having 10 difficulty levels they'll likely be the same. The only thing that's really off-limits is the E5+ "nightmare" modes.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

It will take you literal months on end to get to E5 to see "nightmare" dungeons you could access in 1-2 days before. Truth be told, most of this thread won't get that far EVER. So yeah, the grind might be a little unreasonable.

Amante fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 26, 2017

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Amante posted:

It will take you literal months on end to get to E5 to see "nightmare" dungeons you could access in 1-2 days before. Truth to be told, most of this thread won't get that far EVER. So yeah, the grind might be a little unreasonable.
Yeah, I'd rather they introduced the nightmare mechanics a few difficulty levels earlier but they're a pretty minor part of "endgame" in and of themselves.

As for the grind being unreasonable, unless you absolutely cannot enjoy the game without those nightmare mechanics it's pretty much fine? Like, getting to 1000ip or whatever ludicrous amount is required for E10 is going to take a comical amount of time but it's not like there's any real content gated behind it - an E10 dungeon is fundamentally the same six bosses as E1 is. It's a grind alright but it's largely only for bragging rights.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

The only real argument that can be made is you can enjoy the story without needing much in the way of gear. If you care about mechanics or gear progression, the situation is not good.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

They made it easier (some would say trivial) to see all the content on the lowest settings, supposedly for the yet to be released stuff too including raids.

But they extended out the "length" of the endgame considerably with this gear system and 10 levels of elite for everything which will take a pretty long time to get through even down the line with overgeared people willing to blitz you through stuff.

You could speed up getting a fresh 50 into nightmares by handing them some stuff like a cache weapon, good talismans from dungeons, signets, and 3pip glyphs. The value on that stuff would have to go down a lot for people to want to do that for anyone other than their personal friends though.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I'm not entirely convinced the nightmare mechanics are actually as important a piece of treasured content as we're making them out to be anyway. I seem to remember most people would only ever run Polaris on NM in the original game. :v:

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Pilchenstein posted:

I'm not entirely convinced the nightmare mechanics are actually as important a piece of treasured content as we're making them out to be anyway. I seem to remember most people would only ever run Polaris on NM in the original game. :v:

People would run 18s forever and than whichever dungeon was broken.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Pilchenstein posted:

After the addition of dailies, we'd run either Polaris, Ankh, or Slaughterhouse.

Ran the 2 Kaidan ones a lot for AEGIS upgrades, too.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
For the two of you still running elites or if we ever turn into a non-poo poo cabal that does endgame content, someone had the good idea of using roles in Discord.

I've created Healer, Tank, and DPS groups for everyone to join. In GBS, type !rank <Healer/Tank/DPS> and you'll be assigned to the role that you want.

You can join multiple roles, but the member list on the right will only show you in the highest ranked role (Healer > Tank > DPS).

You can @mention any of the roles to ping goons to do poo poo. I suggest using @role instead of using the member list, due to the aforementioned inability of discord to display multiple roles.

E: Coming up next, a goonfleet-style site where you must enable two factor authentication to join any groups and confirm your identity with a credit card statement showing :10bux: paid to Lowtax.

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 26, 2017

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Richard M Nixon posted:

E: Coming up next, a goonfleet-style site where you must enable two factor authentication to join any groups and confirm your identity with a credit card statement showing :10bux: paid to Lowtax.

I think I'll wait for that then, I want to make sure I game with REAL goons not just those fake ones.

Variable Haircut posted:

People would run 18s forever and than whichever dungeon was broken.

I used to run 17s; Polaris, Darkness Wars then Hell Fallen all the way up to the Machine Tyrant where our pub groups would inevitably get destroyed over and over and over until we all hated each other (4 wipes usually did it). That was before they nerfed the Machine Tyrant a bit though.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 27, 2017

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I would start getting tank gear but the limited inventory and the fact that I blew most of my marks on a good sword and cosmetics keeps me from doing it. Also XCOM 2 expansion soon.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I've just started Egypt, but I think the pacing is fine. I like that I don't have to have an optimal build or anything to see the story, and will probably avoid all the 'endgame' stat-padding. If I cared about having the biggest numbers on my character sheet, I'd play something with eight hotbars of skills. I don't, I'm here to shoot eldritch horrors from beyond time in the face (or closest thing to it) with a shotgun with depleted uranium rounds blessed by Odin.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
So long as you are comfortable playing through the content you enjoy then there isn't a need to chase numbers that nobody else can see anyway.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I'm almost through with the shadowy forest and I can imagine things getting a bit tedious as a solo player with meh gear. Gf and I are both 3 pip dungeon geared with full epics and one yellow weapon each and still some mobs take 10-15 seconds each.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

AfroSquirrel posted:

I've just started Egypt, but I think the pacing is fine.
No offense, but if you haven't hit 50 you are in no position to comment on pacing and grind. You can't even fuse up to purple until 50, and the game was definitely designed around the worst parts of the grind not becoming obvious until you're post-50.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Amante posted:

No offense, but if you haven't hit 50 you are in no position to comment on pacing and grind. You can't even fuse up to purple until 50, and the game was definitely designed around the worst parts of the grind not becoming obvious until you're post-50.

Having only recently hit 50, I can confirm this. I'm still enjoying the game but holy hell does it become a slog.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Having only recently hit 50, I can confirm this. I'm still enjoying the game but holy hell does it become a slog.

It definitely becomes a slog at times. I do still log in daily and futz around a bit, but since I also had classes start up again, I'm still in the figuring out the best time management between school, downtime and sleep.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Amante posted:

Once you hit 50 if you want to do nightmare dungeons... (Elite 5) you might as well stop. I think it will take a month or two of just doing dungeons to get to elite 5.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Like, half my talismans are still blue. I really should have held off on Tokyo.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Like, half my talismans are still blue. I really should have held off on Tokyo.

Why do you say that? All my talismans except one are blue and I'm doing just fine in in Tokyo (about to start The Pachinko Model )

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

TheRat posted:

Why do you say that? All my talismans except one are blue and I'm doing just fine in in Tokyo (about to start The Pachinko Model )

It may be a matter of my build (stupid lack of range on Chaos), but I'm finding Tokyo vastly more brutal than Transylvania was; I can survive it, but it's a hell of a lot more work than any stage up to now. Which, I mean, it should be harder, but I've had vastly more wipes in Tokyo than anywhere else, is all.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It could just be a gear thing. Spam a shitload of fast burning desert missions & side quests (you can often knock over 2-4 at once) and you should be overflowing with upgrade fodder to reach purple before long.

Also using restoration weapons that give you small heals for hitting things makes a big difference.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Yeah, the basic passive for Chaos gives heals for hitting, and that's gotten me through more than a few fights. All my gear is set to give attack bonuses instead of health or heal, though, so I end up being fairly crunchy. Ah well, I'll keep grinding at it.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I have one health piece and no range since all blade but I don't really have problems unless I massively overpull. I'm still getting all my stuff to purple since I recently upgraded a lot of poo poo. Maybe if you don't have a hit glyph and just are glancing a lot? Other than that maybe some signets, I bought some for like three of my slots for next to nothing.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Morglon posted:

I have one health piece and no range since all blade but I don't really have problems unless I massively overpull. I'm still getting all my stuff to purple since I recently upgraded a lot of poo poo. Maybe if you don't have a hit glyph and just are glancing a lot? Other than that maybe some signets, I bought some for like three of my slots for next to nothing.

Morglon raises a good point. If you're using enough hit stuff then things shouldn't be taking that long to kill regardless of incoming damage. Glances are a massive DPS loss.

Now I'm probably overkill for the content I do since I use 3 accuracy glyphs (2 are even intricate!) but realistically you want at least 2x blue simples just for open world endgame stuff. It really makes a difference.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
One intricate is plenty apparently at elite 1 you need 5% glance reduction. I have one intricate mid level purple and I'm at 13%. I don't know the optimal spread for the rest but I'm gonna stack crit rating as high as I can since I get extra chi on crit.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

If you get all the hit passives out of the the skill trees you can use one hit glyph all the way to e5. After that though it isn't going to work but does anyone really care about going past e5?

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

The simplest and most efficient way is to slot one Intricate Accurate and one Simple Accurate. Keep both reasonably leveled and you'll have plenty of hit, and if you ever make it far enough to get both to Orange 20 (you won't), you mash them together.

Edit:
vvv
Whoops, duh!

Amante fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 29, 2017

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Glyphs always max out at 20, so that cuts a bit off of the slog.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
The patron status that I bought before switching to steam ran out. I renewed on steam yesterday but today it's gone again. I contacted their support and I guess this is a new issue they are seeing and are trying to resolve. My G13 happened to break the same day, so I'll take this as a sign that I should take a few days off from grinding gear.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TracerM17 posted:

The patron status that I bought before switching to steam ran out. I renewed on steam yesterday but today it's gone again. I contacted their support and I guess this is a new issue they are seeing and are trying to resolve. My G13 happened to break the same day, so I'll take this as a sign that I should take a few days off from grinding gear.

Try a Ducky One Shine.

No really, that's actually a keyboard. Built like a tank and RBG options out the rear end if you want them. Set it to "aurora" and then google how to turn aurora off since all the controls are firmware & hotkey based. It's great. Best keyboard I've ever owned.
(I have the TKL version without a number pad, because who needs those unless it's a workstation anyway)

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 31, 2017

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

DancingShade posted:

Try a Ducky One Shine.

No really, that's actually a keyboard. Built like a tank and RBG options out the rear end if you want them. Set it to "aurora" and then google how to turn aurora off since all the controls are firmware & hotkey based. It's great. Best keyboard I've ever owned.
(I have the TKL version without a number pad, because who needs those unless it's a workstation anyway)

A G13 isn't really a keyboard, it's basically a hotkey board you program your keybinds into and stick to the side of your keyboard to use instead of one.

I happen to use one too, it's pretty great but hard to go back to using keyboards once you're used to it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ah gotcha. Thought it was one of those regular Logitech gamer keyboards. Haven't looked at their range in ages because my G500 is indestructible and hasn't needed replacing.

If all else fails you can bind macros to unused mouse buttons if you have some unused controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

There was a dev stream today. A few highlights:

• New cache next week
  • New cache will give "outfit fragments" as consolation prize (but not every time)
  • No more bad luck protection on outfits - now BLP is on wepaons!
  • No plans to bring back old lockboxes - Yawk will be rich after all
  • FutureTech & Cyberpunk is the theme of the Cache and inspired the rewards
  • Lurker raid next week
  • Raid has a story mode + elites (trash in story, no trash in elites)
  • Raid loot == cosmetics, distillates, new gear (do we use keys?)
  • Lair mega boss next week
  • Megaboss summon piece comes from regional bosses (lairs boss -> regional boss -> megaboss)
  • When summoning megaboss, everyone in the summoner's cabal gets an insta-invite anywhere in the world
  • Anyone on the boss platform gets 2nd dibs on invite
  • Group that summoned gets a bonus lair chest - boss drops a lair chest too (needs a key)
  • Cash shop for emotes

E: NYR does not use any keys and is currently strictly gated by lockout timers.

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 2, 2017