Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the setting in observer was pretty cool and at times i wished the game would let me explore that more instead of pushing the player into more and more glorified cutscenes where the player just kind of walks along as weird glitchy poo poo happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'll definitely pick up observer on sale then. I loved soma and if it comes close to being that interesting, it's worth playing

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Johnny Joestar posted:

the setting in observer was pretty cool and at times i wished the game would let me explore that more instead of pushing the player into more and more glorified cutscenes where the player just kind of walks along as weird glitchy poo poo happens

This, essentially.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

0 rows returned posted:

I really liked what I played of LCC, except the Texas Chainsaw level. It felt too random and you don't really get a chance to explore before you're attacked.

That was probably my favorite level because it felt like a combination of two of my favorite things, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Maniac Mansion.

Moooooooooooon
Nov 24, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I get the distinct impression from the very early game that combat is going to kill me many, many, many times.

Consider running away where possible. Generally the only reason I fight is if something is blocking my way, otherwise I just avoid everything. Even if you win a fight unscathed you're still burning resources and rarely getting anything useful out of it. This may change later in the game, I don't know.

Re Lakeview Cabin: I was really into the free version and the first couple of episodes but it lost me a bit with the Nightmare on Elm St-ish episode. Little too much going on and I never felt like experimenting I was getting me anywhere. I should really give it another shot because it's a really neat project.

Edit: does anyone have any recommendations of Kitty Horror Show-esq indie horror? Experimental stuff outside Steam. Surreal is good, creeping dread is good, jump scares not so much.

Moooooooooooon fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 26, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

So with Darkwood being mentioned here, anyone even a little interested in it might want to take a look at this.

Wherein the dev team have actually put up a clean torrent of the game elsewhere, which is linked in that story. No tricks or trial timer or anything to it, just plain old uploaded in full and all they ask is that if you enjoy it, buy it later when it's on sale or something so they can keep making junk.

"We've also been flooded by emails! There's more of them than we are able to reply to, actually. The sad thing is, that a lot of those are scam emails. You know, when people claim to be a youtuber or blogger and ask for a Steam key. That key then gets sold through a shady platform. To be honest, we're fed up with it. This practice makes it impossible for us to do any giveaways or send keys to people who actually don't have the money to play Darkwood."

"So we decided to do something about it! If you don't have the money and want to play the game, we have a safe torrent on the Pirate Bay of the latest version of Darkwood (1.0 hotfix 3), completely DRM-free. There's no catch, no added pirate hats for characters or anything like that. We have just one request: if you like Darkwood and want us to continue making games, consider buying it in the future, maybe on a sale, through Steam, GOG or Humble Store. But please, please, don't buy it through any key reselling site. By doing that, you're just feeding the cancer that is leeching off this industry."

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I think it's a great move, at least for hearts and minds. Given how tepid the response originally was to that game, it's smart to kinda open up and believe in good will, while also saying "hey don't use g2a idiots."

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I thought it was mostly tepid cause there just wasn't much to it for years. Like I've been following it for a while and it just never seemed to develop much from steam updates or posts, and I just kinda gave up on it (even though it initially seemed like a pretty interesting game). I also think that if someone is worried about a youtube channel scamming them for a key that it'd be easier to just check the youtube page rather than just giving the game away for free. It's a fine gesture, but literally someone could just go over to itch.io after downloading the torrent and sell the game on there like some kinda huge rear end in a top hat.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I did a mini review of Darkwood like 3-4 years ago and yeah, it didn't seem to be going anywhere (speaking of which, anyone remember The Forest?). I might reinstall it at this point.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Moooooooooooon posted:

Consider running away where possible. Generally the only reason I fight is if something is blocking my way, otherwise I just avoid everything. Even if you win a fight unscathed you're still burning resources and rarely getting anything useful out of it. This may change later in the game, I don't know.

Re Lakeview Cabin: I was really into the free version and the first couple of episodes but it lost me a bit with the Nightmare on Elm St-ish episode. Little too much going on and I never felt like experimenting I was getting me anywhere. I should really give it another shot because it's a really neat project.

Edit: does anyone have any recommendations of Kitty Horror Show-esq indie horror? Experimental stuff outside Steam. Surreal is good, creeping dread is good, jump scares not so much.

Ever heard of Cosmology of Kyoto?
It's old but if you could get it to run it's a very surreal experience.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Anyone know of a good Lakeview Cabin Collection lp?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Len posted:

Anyone know of a good Lakeview Cabin Collection lp?

I've been hoping for one for a while now, but any time I've watched people play it it's always just "lol let's gently caress around in it for a little while" type stuff, where they maybe make some progress on level 1 (Lakeview Cabin III), then abandon hope quick past that.

So yeah if anyone has anything on that front, I'd love to know too.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Y'all I'm tellin' you if you go to my steam profile my favorite game is listed as Lakeview Cabin Collection. gently caress yeah it's obtuse but by God I've never played anything that captured the atmosphere of 80s and 90s horror shlock so well.

The first episode is pure Friday the Thirteenth goodness. If you are confused about what to do and kill one of your friends and get mad about it then its not the game for you. Example: I got the dirtbike the first time and immediately smashed my dog. I set up an elaborate trap wherein I would zipline away from the killer. When the time came I ziplined directly into the wood chipper I left on earlier. It's trial and error and you will die a lot but it's fun death. Each episode has its own fun little bits and mechanics. If you don't like it you don't like it, but I fuckin love that game. I've played it extensively and if you have any questions about any of the episodes please feel free to hit me up.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/sountrustable

My play time is low but I play offline a lot. Just. Just loving play it please. I have an extra copy from the spooky bundle so if anyone is on the fence they're welcome to it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I've played a whole bunch of it don't worry on that bit, but it's one of those games where I do also wanna watch some other people sleuth out how to do goofy/crazy poo poo, just because there's so much that can go hilariously wrong and then loop back into right.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
I was looking for the exact same thing on youtube and the videos by StayCalmCursory tells you how to go about it (They only have a couple of them though). Bonus points for the person narrating it very well.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Untrustable posted:

Y'all I'm tellin' you if you go to my steam profile my favorite game is listed as Lakeview Cabin Collection. gently caress yeah it's obtuse but by God I've never played anything that captured the atmosphere of 80s and 90s horror shlock so well.

The first episode is pure Friday the Thirteenth goodness. If you are confused about what to do and kill one of your friends and get mad about it then its not the game for you. Example: I got the dirtbike the first time and immediately smashed my dog. I set up an elaborate trap wherein I would zipline away from the killer. When the time came I ziplined directly into the wood chipper I left on earlier. It's trial and error and you will die a lot but it's fun death. Each episode has its own fun little bits and mechanics. If you don't like it you don't like it, but I fuckin love that game. I've played it extensively and if you have any questions about any of the episodes please feel free to hit me up.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/sountrustable

My play time is low but I play offline a lot. Just. Just loving play it please. I have an extra copy from the spooky bundle so if anyone is on the fence they're welcome to it.

Can you tell me what the whole story is supposed to be

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
is lakeview cabin just a collection of flash games ala the last door?

Moooooooooooon
Nov 24, 2007

Meallan posted:

Ever heard of Cosmology of Kyoto?
It's old but if you could get it to run it's a very surreal experience.

Heard of it but never played it. I'll give it a shot, thanks!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

is lakeview cabin just a collection of flash games ala the last door?

I don't know about literally programmed in flash, but yeah it's kind of like The Last Door. Except despite having adventure game-esque trial and error gameplay the game is in real-time and more action oriented. None of the levels have any relation to each other, they all play pretty differently and have different goals and rules.

Basically it's like an adventure game with real-time action and dying (you'll die a lot) where you move with the arrow keys and can only hold one item at a time.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

FirstAidKite posted:

So I saw this game called Distrust pop up on steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/635200/Distrust/

It's 10 bucks at the moment and it claims to be inspired by John Carpenter's The Thing. I'm not sure if it is specifically a horror game but I recall people talking about how they wish there were games that would try to copy what The Thing went for. I'll go ahead and copy down the steam description here. If anybody feels like trying it out, I'd love to read your response to it! :)

Ended up picking this up so a short review.

First and foremost, it really has nothing to do with The Thing other than the setting of an arctic outpost. That isn't really a mark against it, it's just that the marketing doesn't add up.

It's basically a survival sim, where you have to balance food, warmth, and energy while trying to open a series of gates to get to the center of the complex. You burn wood to warm up buildings to keep your heat up, and gas into generators to light up buildings and allow you to search faster. A big part of the strategy is opening doors correctly, as you can slowly try keys while freezing to death or break the door open quickly and compromise the heat of the building.

The big thing is managing your energy. If you starve or freeze then your energy levels drop. If that happens then you have to sleep, or you start slowly going insane and having bad effects like hallucinations add up. So why not sleep? Because sleeping attracts monsters. The base ones can be avoided by having the lights and heat on in the building, but over time they get more resource intensive to destroy.

I like it quite a bit, although the randomness of the loot can be a big problem when yours dumbass people cut themselves severely while picking through the shelves. The door-cracking mechanic works surprisingly well for something so simple, since you have to make your people slowly freeze no matter how well stocked you are. The sleeping mechanic is also pretty cool in a subtle way, since it really leans on the "don't sleep" idea that is in so many horror movies.

I haven't played the "trial" mode, which is the hardcore mode, but the base mode is a bit too easy for the design of the game. It's fairly easy to lock down a house and just let everyone sleep in shifts, until you build up a supply of coffee. But I'm sure this will be less of a thing in Trial.

Overall it's survival horror more than John Carpenter, but I like it so far.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

discworld is all I read posted:

It's a fine gesture, but literally someone could just go over to itch.io after downloading the torrent and sell the game on there like some kinda huge rear end in a top hat.

what

Also, I never heard of Darkwood until last week and it appears to be a complete game with a full campaign? Where else would it go?

Faffel fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 27, 2017

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

It happened. Although itch.io clamped down on it pretty hard recently.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Speaking of itch.io, I recently played through LOCALHOST. You're a repair tech and you've got a shipment of hard drives you need to wipe. Easy! But these hard drives have AIs in them that are asking you not to kill them. Less so! If you're GAMEPLAY MECHANICS MAN, then the game's not for you, but I ended up enjoying the story.

https://sophiapark.itch.io/localhost

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

ok i loled at Room 202 of Observer

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

It happened. Although itch.io clamped down on it pretty hard recently.

So itch.io just lets anyone sell an unlicensed iso?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bogart posted:

Speaking of itch.io, I recently played through LOCALHOST. You're a repair tech and you've got a shipment of hard drives you need to wipe. Easy! But these hard drives have AIs in them that are asking you not to kill them. Less so! If you're GAMEPLAY MECHANICS MAN, then the game's not for you, but I ended up enjoying the story.

https://sophiapark.itch.io/localhost

the premise of this is so good but yeah i wish it was more of a game.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Does the writting in that LOCALHOST game really deliver? I dont mind having little choices but does it really make you feel terrible if you like robots and AI? I'll totally get it if the writting is good enough.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Faffel posted:

So itch.io just lets anyone sell an unlicensed iso?
Yeah, itch.io is kind of an open market for games and they might not always have the most stringent checking and their process used to be a bit janky.

Here's the story I was referring to:

https://techraptor.net/content/scammers-are-selling-pirated-version-of-games-on-itch-io posted:

The scammer took a pirated version of an already released game, RimWorld, and put it up for sale on itch.io. The scammer put the game up for 75% off, which was caught by a bot for a website, IsThereAnyDeal, that notifies people of deals for games. That site sent out notifications to its users within minutes of the listing leading some to purchase the game. What made this one difficult for itch.io is that the scammer used their “direct payment” option, which allows sellers to be paid directly in their PayPal account. That bypassed itch.io’s ability to intervene before a sale goes through.

But I think they've gotten better about it by taking away certain purchasing options so they have more direct control.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
rimworld is trash tho imo

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Can you tell me what the whole story is supposed to be

Ok, the story of Lakeview cabin, told simply, is that one family somehow had generations upon generations of children that only fit into the narrative structure of a horror game. Lakeview Cabin 2: A man (named Red, and I think the only named character), his wife, son, and daughter come to the lake for vacation while the wife is pregnant. She gives birth prematurely and dies, as does the baby. Out of grief Red kills himself, and his 2 other children are sent to Foster homes. They reconnect as adults and begin an incestuous relationship. They also inherit Lakeview island, home of the Lakeview summer camp. They then begin murdering teens at the Lakeview summer camp until they are stopped by the protagonist of Lakeview cabin 3 (you, the player).

After their deaths and many years later their incestuous offspring have set up in a dilapidated mansion in a Texas-like part of the world. A touring band runs out of gas nearby and then has to fight their way through the house, killing the family and ending their murderous spree. A kidnapped pregnant woman is saved from the house and successfully gives birth. The child is immediately put up for adoption. Lakeview Cabin 5 takes place many years later as the child of the pregnant woman from Lakeview 4 starts looking into the past of her biological family, going so far as to begin practicing occult rituals to contact them. The ritual succeeds but has the unintended effect of bringing back to life Red, the father from the first Lakeview cabin game. After entering the spirit world and putting the ghosts of Lakeview Cabin 2 to rest via travelling through time and capturing the ghost of the pregnant wife in a spirit box, the protagonist confronts the stillborn child of Red and his wife and can either destroy him or provide him comfort (either way that's the end of their story).

In Lakeview 6 the spirit box and a surviving (albeit frozen) character from Lakeview Cabin 3 are being studied by scientists to ascertain how to draw upon the spirit world (like Doom kinda) and unwittingly create a hybrid monster made up of alien bacteria and ectoplasm which then begins affecting everyone on the ship. You then must evacuate the ship and leave it abandoned in space where hopefully the curse of Lakeview cabin can end once and for all. Simple right?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Wait, what do you mean Red kills himself? He's one of the living antagonists in Part III and you kill him. His wife is some kind of ghost though, so there's that.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Meallan posted:

So the White Day remake on steam is getting very mixed reviews, mostly by Koreans. Has anyone here played the remake and have any thoughts to how it compares to the original?

I finished my second playthrough yesterday, and you know what- it's not bad! I mean, I never played the original, so I can't speak to that, but I find it not perfect, but certainly tight and enjoyable for its price. It's not very long (something which has the variables it does can't really be) and it cleaves pretty close to the original story, from my understanding (barring some new story wrinkles and a new character) and- well, it's Unity, but I find it looks pretty good and didn't see any glaring errors. And I understand the original had a fair few game-breaking bugs that this update has fixed- at least I didn't find any. The only other complaint I can see, is that there is one particular puzzle that requires knowledge of Chinese characters which some players may or may not have, some of the ghosts are a little hard to find (and unless you're playing on Hard can't actually be found because they injure the player), and apparently there's some kind of ending collection that can be completed by getting all the endings (there are 10) on all the difficulties (there are 5), which, like, what?

But it's fine, in my opinion; I like it enough that I'm going to try for all endings, at least. So I can't really see where all the negativity is coming from (but I vaguely remember hearing something about translation?)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Figured I'd mention it here: Alien: Isolation is now Rift and Vive compatible.

I am looking forward to this so drat hard. Game deserves another replay anyway.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

GlyphGryph posted:

Figured I'd mention it here: Alien: Isolation is now Rift and Vive compatible.

I am looking forward to this so drat hard. Game deserves another replay anyway.

wat

Do I need to buy a god drat Vive again? gently caress.

fake edit: Looks to be just a mod and not officially supported.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Untrustable posted:

Ok, the story of Lakeview cabin, told simply, is that one family somehow had generations upon generations of children that only fit into the narrative structure of a horror game. Lakeview Cabin 2: A man (named Red, and I think the only named character), his wife, son, and daughter come to the lake for vacation while the wife is pregnant. She gives birth prematurely and dies, as does the baby. Out of grief Red kills himself, and his 2 other children are sent to Foster homes. They reconnect as adults and begin an incestuous relationship. They also inherit Lakeview island, home of the Lakeview summer camp. They then begin murdering teens at the Lakeview summer camp until they are stopped by the protagonist of Lakeview cabin 3 (you, the player).

After their deaths and many years later their incestuous offspring have set up in a dilapidated mansion in a Texas-like part of the world. A touring band runs out of gas nearby and then has to fight their way through the house, killing the family and ending their murderous spree. A kidnapped pregnant woman is saved from the house and successfully gives birth. The child is immediately put up for adoption. Lakeview Cabin 5 takes place many years later as the child of the pregnant woman from Lakeview 4 starts looking into the past of her biological family, going so far as to begin practicing occult rituals to contact them. The ritual succeeds but has the unintended effect of bringing back to life Red, the father from the first Lakeview cabin game. After entering the spirit world and putting the ghosts of Lakeview Cabin 2 to rest via travelling through time and capturing the ghost of the pregnant wife in a spirit box, the protagonist confronts the stillborn child of Red and his wife and can either destroy him or provide him comfort (either way that's the end of their story).

In Lakeview 6 the spirit box and a surviving (albeit frozen) character from Lakeview Cabin 3 are being studied by scientists to ascertain how to draw upon the spirit world (like Doom kinda) and unwittingly create a hybrid monster made up of alien bacteria and ectoplasm which then begins affecting everyone on the ship. You then must evacuate the ship and leave it abandoned in space where hopefully the curse of Lakeview cabin can end once and for all. Simple right?

See, what confuses me the most is that I read an entirely separate story summary that sounded equally plausible based on what happens in the games but is otherwise entirely different from what you said.

It's pinned on the steam forums for lakeview cabin collection.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

s.i.r.e. posted:

wat

Do I need to buy a god drat Vive again? gently caress.

fake edit: Looks to be just a mod and not officially supported.

Yeah, its a mod, but... it's a good mod. The quality is good so far. The game actually shipped with VR mode, so it had an already halfway decent implement to hook into. It doesn't support motion controllers right now, but the mod author says he thinks he'll be able to get that in as well eventually...

Not sure if you've played Doom 3, but this seems to be a mod happening in the same vein as Doom 3 VR and it's, well, for Doom 3 the VR mod is better than most officially supported VR (when properly configured). Same as how the Minecraft VR mod is significantly better than the officially supported Minecraft VR version of the game.

I really enjoyed Alien Isolation even back when it had only the rather limited VR support it shipped with, and this is a much better implementation so I'm still super excited.

(Yes, Alien Isolation actually shipped with VR implemented, but support and development were cut)

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Aug 29, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'd love to try that then.

I got around to trying Distrust and while I like the idea and the mechanics of multitasking your team is pretty fun, it's ruined by bad enemies and going all-in on the procedural design of the levels. While I think that the procedural design is basically necessary because there really isn't that much content here after 2 hours of playing my game is now "compromised" due to luck of the draw a glitch that's going to leave one of my characters dead. I'm in zone 4 out of 6 and this is where the design falls apart: major structures won't have heaters and generators in them, only smaller structures that have absolutely nothing in them of value, so you basically have to "recharge" your warmth in them while wasting your hungry and stamina bar. I had 3 structures searched, two where small empty spaces with Gens and Furnaces and the other one had neither but it had stuff to search so I spent all of my warmth in there, after recharging and trekking through the snow to get to another building with beds (because my stamina was completely hosed at this point) I come to find that the bed needs to be fixed so one of my characters is on the verge of death because she keeps taking damage and ends up dying. The generator and furnace also break on me (not run out) so now warmth is depleting. I try and revive the now KO'd character with a medkit because that's an option and as I click it nothing happens, my medkit is used and the other character is still dead. I don't have anything else to revive her with and my other character can't sleep to gain stamina. It feels cheap as gently caress and I think I've had my fill with this. 2 hours and my saved games gone tits up because of bad design.

The enemies are properly dumb, they're just floating elemental balls that float around and B line it for you and always know where you are. You can only shoot them or stop them with lights/heat/whatever in buildings. 99% of the time I couldn't do anything about them especially if the heat and power go out in the building. It's really dumb.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
drat that makes me sad, I was hoping Distrust was going to be a good game.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Just finishing up Murdered: Soul Suspect and, I gotta say, it's a decent enough title to add to a Halloween gaming lineup if you find it on sale before October. It's not really scary, like, at all, but it deffo has a certain kind of Halloweeny charm; imagine I'm talking about movies right now and I described to you a movie I caught at random on cable some random lazy fall Sunday that sort of played like The Frighteners and the White Wolf RPG Wraith: The Oblivion had a baby. That's more or less Soul Suspect; a cheeseball ghost detective story that is told in a somewhat workmanlike fashion and feels like it ran out of budget about halfway through production. If all this sounds like I'm damning it with faint praise, I'm not really; this is just the kind of game it helps going into knowing in what ways it's flawed to really enjoy it.

WHAT'S IT about : A goofy extremely cool looking detective with a checkered past dies at the hand of his quarry- the infamous Bell Killer- and afterwards discovers he is stuck for eternity being a goofy radical looking ghost unless he concludes his unfinished business, ie bringing his murderer to justice.

WHAT'S GOOD ABOUT IT: Murdered's Salem is an interesting looking place to wander around, snooping into people's lives. Also snooping into people's lives and sometimes helping them to move on to the afterlife (when they're already dead, you're not killing anybody) is fun. The ghost stories you can unlock are generally of the campfire variety in a good way, and most of the backstory you discover is entertaining as well. Anything related to worldbuilding is really good; It's a game that leans heavy on atmosphere and a fun, briskly told story. That brings me to the fact that it's really short- I think I finished it in maybe five hours- which is a good thing. All the bad stuff about it never really gets on your nerves because the game doesn't really linger on anything or try to use its lackluster, poorly fleshed out gameplay to do much more than propel you through the story.

None of what I just said in the last sentence would be a positive if you spent $60 at launch. Thankfully it's three years later & you can get it for cheap so the fact that you will beat it in an afternoon isn't so much of a detriment as it is now a feature.

WHAT'S BAD ABOUT IT: It's barely a game. You travel a tiny map collecting items that are practically on top of one another. All of your ghost abilities, which on paper sound fun, impart no sense of power and you don't have much chance to use them creatively. The investigation sequences are barely anything and have a pointless penalty system for wrong guesses that does... nothing besides lowering your rating for that particular guessing session, as far as I could tell. The two enemies in the game are FLOOR HANDS which you beat by not going near and DEMONS which you beat by sneaking up on and doing a single input quicktime event. It's a big yawn. I was left with the sense that about two thirds of the actual game got left on the cutting room floor and what we got was the budget version of the original concept.

Still, if you're actually paying a budget price for a budget game it's easier to see it as an endearingly quirky, atmospheric adventure and a good palate cleanser between bloodbaths and jumpscares if you put it in any horror themed game marathon you might be planning.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've never managed to figure out why I like Murdered: Soul Suspect so much. Objectively, I should have found the gameplay dull and the length unsatisfying. Instead, I ended up engrossed from start to finish and completely unable to put it down.