Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

cerious posted:

You get weapons for killing the chosen, the assassin weapons drops some very busted loot for Rangers of both varieties. Specifically a sword that doesn't miss.

And has higher base damage than a plasma shotgun. And pierces 5 points of armor. And innate crit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Zore posted:

And has higher base damage than a plasma shotgun. And pierces 5 points of armor. And innate crit.

Yeah, but the broken bottle mod has panic, does this weapon cause panic? :smug:

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
The Reinforcement Pack is 50% off so I picked it up in anticipation of the new DLC.

If I've never played any of these new missions should I do the integrated stuff or not? It kind of seems like it might be worth it to experience the stories in the Shen and Alien Hunters DLC once and I'll be playing on the normal difficulty when the expansion drops.

I'm not clear on one thing - if I do the integrated DLC will I still be able to get the frost grenades that everyone talks about?

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Zore posted:

Okay, it puts it on par with Saturation Fire and Rupture shot or Fanfire. All of which are capstones.

Literally every other capstone ability has a 3+ turn cooldown or charges per mission.

Except Nova, and Nova has a soft cap based on the increasing damage it does to the SPARK.

3 turns would be appropriate, 5 is pushing it into once-per-mission territory and that's dumb. Also it's easy to say it's now in the territory of those abilities because they range from poor (Saturation Fire) to pretty good (Fan fire) to really good (Rupture).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Vasler posted:

The Reinforcement Pack is 50% off so I picked it up in anticipation of the new DLC.

If I've never played any of these new missions should I do the integrated stuff or not? It kind of seems like it might be worth it to experience the stories in the Shen and Alien Hunters DLC once and I'll be playing on the normal difficulty when the expansion drops.

I'm not clear on one thing - if I do the integrated DLC will I still be able to get the frost grenades that everyone talks about?

Yes, you still get all the content its just gated by research and resources instead of you getting a scan site that gives it to you for free.

Ditto with your first SPARK which you need to pay for if you integrate and get for free if you do the mission.

wuffles posted:

3 turns would be appropriate, 5 is pushing it into once-per-mission territory and that's dumb. Also it's easy to say it's now in the territory of those abilities because they range from poor (Saturation Fire) to pretty good (Fan fire) to really good (Rupture).

Why is it dumb? Rangers already have absurdly powerful weapons with high crit, is it really necessary for them to have on top of that the best double fire ability in the game?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Zore posted:

Yes, you still get all the content its just gated by research and resources instead of you getting a scan site that gives it to you for free.

Ditto with your first SPARK which you need to pay for if you integrate and get for free if you do the mission.

Why is it dumb? Rangers already have absurdly powerful weapons with high crit, is it really necessary for them to have on top of that the best double fire ability in the game?

Thanks for replying so quickly, I appreciate it. So having never done the story, perhaps I can just look it up on Youtube. Do you recommend just doing the intergrated DLC? I've never done the Alien Ruler or Shen mission but people here seem to be leaning towards the Alien Rulers being a pain to deal with in the base DLC.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what's integrated DLC mean

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I deleted the final Avatar in the last mission from full hp with a single ranger using a tricked out Plasma Shotgun with Talon Rounds using Rapid Fire. 5 Turns seems pretty fair considering that

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Vasler posted:

Thanks for replying so quickly, I appreciate it. So having never done the story, perhaps I can just look it up on Youtube. Do you recommend just doing the intergrated DLC? I've never done the Alien Ruler or Shen mission but people here seem to be leaning towards the Alien Rulers being a pain to deal with in the base DLC.

Honestly, entirely up to you. I like the story missions a lot, but they'll pop around the same time as War of the Chosen's own story missions and it could be a bit of overload. I'd probably integrate your first playthrough and maybe enable them/diable the WOTC ones if you do another playthrough.

Super No Vacancy posted:

So the DLC works kinda weird

Both have 'Story missions' you can enable or disable

If disabled they just give you the poo poo for free, if enabled you have to do a story mission to get it.

Integrated disables the story missions and locks the content behind research and resources so its a more normal part of progression.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ok cool I think I want to do the story missions

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Super No Vacancy posted:

It meant the devs felt that 3 story-heavy missions dropped at the start (While Tower and Nest can be put off forever they do appear early on) is an excellent way to create player-fatigue. So Integrated DLC turns off the Nest and Tower missions. You get your first spark waiting for you in your Proving Ground (cheap, mainly takes time to build, later ones require cash) and now the Rulers chill out in various Advent Facilities, happy as can be until you wreck the place. Only then do they go hunting for XCOM blood.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

ok cool I think I want to do the story missions

Note the 'integrated DLC' is only talking about Shen's Last Gift and Alien Hunters.

War of the Chosen has its own story missions that are enabled/disabled seperately.

Alkydere posted:

It meant the devs felt that 3 story-heavy missions dropped at the start (While Tower and Nest can be put off forever they do appear early on) is an excellent way to create player-fatigue. So Integrated DLC turns off the Nest and Tower missions. You get your first spark waiting for you in your Proving Ground (cheap, mainly takes time to build, later ones require cash) and now the Rulers chill out in various Advent Facilities, happy as can be until you wreck the place. Only then do they go hunting for XCOM blood.

Intergrated DLC makes the first SPARK cost the same as the rest of them, its no longer free :(

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 29, 2017

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
seems unlikely GMG will have their keys at launch. bugger, wanted to get some missions in before bed

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Zore posted:

Note the 'integrated DLC' is only talking about Shen's Last Gift and Alien Hunters.

War of the Chosen has its own story missions that are enabled/disabled seperately.

Intergrated DLC makes the first SPARK cost the same as the rest of them, its no longer free :(

Awww, shame. Oh well, they got buffed so it's still worthwhile. Especially since you need to have a rotating roster.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Zore posted:

Honestly, entirely up to you. I like the story missions a lot, but they'll pop around the same time as War of the Chosen's own story missions and it could be a bit of overload. I'd probably integrate your first playthrough and maybe enable them/diable the WOTC ones if you do another playthrough.

So the DLC works kinda weird

Both have 'Story missions' you can enable or disable

If disabled they just give you the poo poo for free, if enabled you have to do a story mission to get it.

Integrated disables the story missions and locks the content behind research and resources so its a more normal part of progression.

So if I understand this correctly, not enabling the integrated DLC will give me the distinct possibility of a normal story mission, DLC mission and WotC mission all popping up in rapid sequence? And there's also a new fatigue-type system in place? It does sounds like it could be a bit much.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also, as a reminder to everyone, all the upgrades except for the +squadsize ones and the class perks were taken out of the GTS.

Vulture/Wetworks etc are all now resistance orders tied to various factions.

Vasler posted:

So if I understand this correctly, not enabling the integrated DLC will give me the distinct possibility of a normal story mission, DLC mission and WotC mission all popping up in rapid sequence? And there's also a new fatigue-type system in place? It does sounds like it could be a bit much.

Yeah. You can postpone the DLC missions forever, they're green and easy to spot on the map, but that's the stated reason they implemented integrated DLC as they did.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Sparks don't get battle fatigue but they can't form bonds right?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Sparks don't get battle fatigue but they can't form bonds right?

Correct. They also can't go on covert ops, which means no easy promotions or random stat boosts.

(I am going to mod the ini so Sparks can bond ASAP since its literally 1 line in the code)

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

MikeC posted:

seems unlikely GMG will have their keys at launch. bugger, wanted to get some missions in before bed

Yep, issued a refund request on GMG and just bought a copy via Steam, not going to sit around and hope that keys get sent out tonight when GMG has gone dead silent other then saying 'it's not our fault'.

Edit: Aww yeah, it's downloading! Here we go!

Edit2: Ooof, thirty gigs. Wish Steam would let you preload DLC, but whatever, it's only an hour.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 29, 2017

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Zore posted:

Yeah because to make best use of it (close range, flanking) you have to position more dangerously than other soldiers.

Its dumb because while its fine to need to ration certain resources during a mission, its better if those abilities have charges/uses than long CDs.

8 turn mission - I'm holding RF in my back pocket "just in case" and may never even use it
12 turn mission - I'm going to use it ASAP on the first pod so it'll be back up when I will probably need it around turn 6-7
Untimed missions - If I'm at all worried about needing it, I'll use it and then make sure to time my engagements so its up which means waiting for CDs

If they were gonna slap a 5 turn CD on it, I wish they'd have just made it 2 charges a mission with no CD.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm a bad person who got a cheap Amazon copy and am trying to resell it...anyone want a key for $29 Amazon Gift Card :v ?

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
30GB update... RIP playing tonight :negative:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
IT'S DOWNLOADING.

IT IS ALSO HUGE???

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
gently caress I had to delete my whole install to install in since apparently 37 free gigs isn't enough on my SSD :(

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Seems pretty lame to not be able to preload and it's 30 GB.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Zore posted:

Also, as a reminder to everyone, all the upgrades except for the +squadsize ones and the class perks were taken out of the GTS.

Vulture/Wetworks etc are all now resistance orders tied to various factions.

Yeah. You can postpone the DLC missions forever, they're green and easy to spot on the map, but that's the stated reason they implemented integrated DLC as they did.

Oh! That's an interesting mechanic. I can see why they give it some extra thought. Hmm, what to do...I think I'll do as you recommended and just integrate. Thank you!

I too have not received a GMG code yet - hopefully we'll all get one soonish and everyone can go slay aliens throughout the night.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This really should have been pre-loaded.

I guess I can still do late night work and maybe be able to play it before going to bed.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

yeah its pretty dumb. 35min until DL complete at least :shrug:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

It out! It out!

It...HUGE! :stare:

LordNat
May 16, 2009
Got my Humble Store key right away!
Time to make some posters!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i guarentee you that the reason we couldnt preload it is because its dlc and valve never bothered to integrate preloading for anything that isnt a new title into steam

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Yeah frankly if you can't preload DLC then you shouldn't be able to sell 30GB DLC. Like I'll be okay because I live in the land of gently caress You, Got Mine but my heart goes out to my bros in Australia et al.

Edit: I went to check GMG to see if my key had been released yet and it looks like they're getting HAMMERED. Guess I'm not surprised. Super glad I did it this way, waiting in vain for GMG to load for god knows how long and then finding out it's a 30GB download would have been pretty loving awful.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 29, 2017

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i guarentee you that the reason we couldnt preload it is because its dlc and valve never bothered to integrate preloading for anything that isnt a new title into steam

It's something they do need to fix. I'm sure once Valve realizes its something they should do they'll figure out how to shove it in.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Meanwhile, I'm just sitting here thinking "Well, Green Man Gaming was an experiment, and looks like that experiment has failed, never using them again."

Literally the only reason I'm not submitting a refund request is because they gave a discount.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Haha GMG is either getting DDoS'ed or experiencing technical problems right now--their website just started freaking out/disappearing on me.

No GMG key yet either.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well so much for playing tonight lmao

This is probably for the best honestly. If I played it tonight I probably wouldn't be able to go to sleep at a reasonable time.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Alkydere posted:

It's something they do need to fix. I'm sure once Valve realizes its something they should do they'll figure out how to shove it in.

eh i wouldn't count on it, this is valve we are talking about

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Meanwhile, Amazon has charged me for my $9.99 pre-order, but isn't giving the key until 12am pst.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
lol GMG's site is exploding. some people say they have keys but my account page is down. Seems like they have a script or something to just dump the keys into ppl's account at midnight and their server's can't handle the F5 load

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Normally GMG is pretty good, so I don't know what happened there.