Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

You find such wonderful things in old issues of Popular Mechanics. This one is from October 1953:

What could possibly go wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i wonder if the blade would generate enough downwards force to swamp the boat

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
The saw is gonna get stuck and torque the skiff and then the whole thing is going to flip over

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would say no force up or down as long as it stays level. What it would try to do is rotate the barge which can cause it to lean changing the vector causing it to lean more and more. if the motor is powerful enough and fast enough. This would tip the thing over.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i wonder if the blade would generate enough downwards force to swamp the boat

A circular blade would generate no force, it would need to be propeller shaped to do that.

I don't think it would rotate the barge either. The barge is already made of a lot of wood and and least 14 metal barrels, plus a tractor on top. The saw would barely be able to shift that barge with that much weight. Any slight movement could probably be counteracted just by the the guy with the poll.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lotta people ITT who've never used a circular saw before

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Also a big ol' jerk man person.

I.E. you.

Take that, saw knower.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

lotta people ITT who've never used a circular saw before

Yeah I mean it's not going to create lift or anything like a propeller (or mower blade for similar concept) but if it hits a dense knot or piece of debris you're getting dunked.

I want to go fishing with it though.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Previa_fun posted:

Yeah I mean it's not going to create lift or anything like a propeller (or mower blade for similar concept) but if it hits a dense knot or piece of debris you're getting dunked.

I want to go fishing with it though.

Possible, but depending on the mass of the tractor barge and the strength of the joint, it could just torque the saw's shaft clean off because it can't move the barge fast enough.

It's gone from a saw problem to an engineering and physics problem, and one that can't be answered without a working model or thorough knowledge of the materials involved.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

SOP when checking for duds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJKcdlj-Uiw

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mistle posted:

Possible, but depending on the mass of the tractor barge and the strength of the joint, it could just torque the saw's shaft clean off because it can't move the barge fast enough.

It's gone from a saw problem to an engineering and physics problem, and one that can't be answered without a working model or thorough knowledge of the materials involved.

I assume there are some pieces missing from that diagram because without bracing the gearbox against something the tractor is just going to spin the saw up and around and cut off the exhaust pipe if not the driver's head.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

You find such wonderful things in old issues of Popular Mechanics. This one is from October 1953:

What could possibly go wrong?

Aren't stumps below the water inherently much more dangerous than stumps that reach above the water so that you can, you know, see them?

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
No, water level never changes.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013
Hopefully this isn't too dumb of a question but does anyone else in here work in the EHS field?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

RatHat posted:

Aside from the pain are there any actual problems doing that? Infection from the burn maybe?

It will heal very inconsistently. Some parts will heal fully, others will blister and distort. Most laser burns tend to heal very well with minimal scarring with good wound care. Either it could look like a disaster in a year, or be completely gone.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

I work for a machine tool manufacturer, and heard an interesting story a couple days ago. We apperently had a hell of a time getting one of our big customers to buy our modern machines with the new controls. When asked why they wanted the crappy old control, they said that they liked having the ladder logic exposed in case they wanted to change the software. When asked why the hell they'd ever want to do this, the example they came back with was:

"Well, what if one of the door safety switches breaks? We need to be able to delete that check from the ladder so we can get back to production."

Our new machines have no way to override it in software, the ladder can't be edited on the machine. But you can still defeat the door safety by undoing two bolts. One of our trainers showed customers how to do it. Safety!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Karia posted:

I work for a machine tool manufacturer, and heard an interesting story a couple days ago. We apperently had a hell of a time getting one of our big customers to buy our modern machines with the new controls. When asked why they wanted the crappy old control, they said that they liked having the ladder logic exposed in case they wanted to change the software. When asked why the hell they'd ever want to do this, the example they came back with was:

"Well, what if one of the door safety switches breaks? We need to be able to delete that check from the ladder so we can get back to production."

Our new machines have no way to override it in software, the ladder can't be edited on the machine. But you can still defeat the door safety by undoing two bolts. One of our trainers showed customers how to do it. Safety!

Process engineers who touch PLC programs should be executed.

You can set any safety interlock to be bypassed with two clicks, and it will stay bypassed until you remember to reset it later. This is not a power you want people who think in $/min to possess.

Splode fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 30, 2017

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
If it's not in hardware, it's not a safety interlock.

And I'm a software girl.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

wonderful post/avatar synergy

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Karia posted:

Is your company called AECL by any chance? :q:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Speaking of PLCs and ladder logic, "Let's try this" is one of the most frightening statements to hear another engineer say when they have a ladder logic window up and the system is all live.

Also I need to find the manual for the old Modicon and SLC logic. There are certain commands that they warn are dangerous like things that override output coils without changing their logical state. So you could force a coil to say open a valve but to the rest of the PLC logic no command is being sent to that coil. Sort of a left hand not knowing what the right is doing.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Aug 30, 2017

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Is ladder logic still heavily used or have engineers moved on to "real" languages?

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

Karia posted:

Do you work in Oxnard? :v:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MCU really stretching for new Avengers

Necrolich
Feb 10, 2010

Pander posted:

.....I had a near miss when I was on a solo training flight.....

Why the hell is it called a near miss, this has never made sense to me!? Nearly missing something is HITTING it.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Necrolich posted:

Why the hell is it called a near miss, this has never made sense to me!? Nearly missing something is HITTING it.

Miss, but nearly was not. A near miss is the same type of phrase as "danger close"

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Necrolich posted:

Alright, George.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDKdvTecYAM

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Necrolich posted:

Because near and nearly are not the same word. It was a miss that was near. Close.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Post poste posted:

A near miss is the same type of phrase as "danger close"

One no one has ever said or heard used ?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

The Bloop posted:

One no one has ever said or heard used ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_discipline?wprov=sfti1

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

spankmeister posted:

Is ladder logic still heavily used or have engineers moved on to "real" languages?

Ladder logic is probably the most common way to program PLCs. They also have function block and structured text ("real programming") forms that you may be able to use interchangeably. Sometimes functions are only available in one manner, more or less forcing a routine into one form over another.

e: My frame of reference is Allen-Bradley. I can't say exactly how it stacks up against Siemens, Omron, Schneider, et al.

Explosionface fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 30, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Keiya posted:

If it's not in hardware, it's not a safety interlock.

And I'm a software girl.
In one of my college intro courses I did a presentation on the Therac-25.

That case has stuck with me. Patients receiving radiation treatments were seriously injured and/or killed because hardware interlocks were replaced with software, and that software had a race condition which was just waiting to be triggered by a fast-acting operator.

I'm happy that the closest to life-critical systems I have to manage is ensuring VoIP phones can reach the correct 911 center.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

spankmeister posted:

New programming is usually done in function block because it let's a process engineer that took a class in logic once be the controls engineers.

Ladder logic and programming languages are supported mostly as a legacy thing. And also for custom function blocks.

Safety integrated systems, which are the safety and interlock s you're allowed to have in software, are usually ladder logic I think, because it's been the most widely used thus has the most reliability data for FMEAs, and also simpler to FMEA than function blocks.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ah, so specific technical jargon rather than a commonly used phrase in normal life like "near miss"

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQFKBE879TI

No injuries, plane landed safely.

http://fireaviation.com/2017/08/29/cl-415-clips-a-mast-while-scooping-water-in-france/

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

The Bloop posted:

Ah, so specific technical jargon rather than a commonly used phrase in normal life like "near miss"

This is a weird way of saying "I was wrong." but I'll take it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Necrolich posted:

are you a native english speaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Why do we park in a driveway, but drive on a parkway!?