Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Stallion Cabana posted:

To be fair it is exceedingly Fate that someone summons The Monkey King and someone else summons like, Billy the Kid and that second guy is just almost completely hosed immediately. It's basically a tradition.

On the other hand, Billy the Kid coincidentally possessing the perfect mixture of abilities that allow him to be one of the few beings in the universe capable of defeating Monkey King, despite being incredibly weak otherwise, is another big Fate tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Astolfo seems like he should be a reasonably heavy hitter. I mean, he's from the Matter of France, after all, which is generally spoken of in the same breath as the Matter of Britain, the Arthurian legends. He's not quite as big a deal as Mordred, the killer of King Arthur, but he's at least near her level.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ahaha, yeah no. Of the Twelve Paladins of Charlemagne and the tales told of them, glorifying their strength and deeds and the like, Astolfo's the only one that has a legend explicitly calling him weak. Relatively poor stats across the board (aside from Luck) and no particular martial prowess is not a good combination. Extremely high cuteness factor though!

In general, Astolfo's biggest strength is that knowing his true name doesn't reveal any weaknesses. He doesn't have any explicit ones, and he doesn't particularly have any particular personal Noble Phantasms associated with him either that one can then prepare against. Speciically, instead of martial deeds Astofo's claim to fame was going on many adventures, wherein he often acquired the treasures (i.e. Noble Phantasms) of others in one way or another. Thus he's actually got a huge number of gimmicks he can pull out, which makes him unpredictable. The problem being they're mostly just that - gimmicks. For example, that lance he's been carrying around is one of them, and its special ability is "falling." If it touches someone, it causes them to fall down... and that's it (against Servants, it does so by temporarily vanishing a foot). Otherwise it's just a normal lance, and his own personal combat abilities aren't really capable of taking on most legendary heroes even when they're hindered like that.

The Hippogriff is the closest thing he's got to a personal Noble Phantasm, and it's probably his strongest one as well, but even there it's merely decent, it's nowhere remotely on the level of Medusa's Pegasus for example, along with being handicapped by his own personality (it's an enormous mana drain when fully invoked, and do recall how Black's servants are getting mana).

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 25, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Astolfo's from the matter of France, but he was also the comic relief of the matter of france. If we're doing Arthurian comparisons, he's less Mordred, more Dagonet.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Ahaha, yeah no. Of the Twelve Paladins of Charlemagne and the tales told of them, glorifying their strength and deeds and the like, Astolfo's the only one that has a legend explicitly calling him weak. Relatively poor stats across the board (aside from Luck) and no particular martial prowess is not a good combination. Extremely high cuteness factor though!

In general, Astolfo's biggest strength is that knowing his true name doesn't reveal any weaknesses. He doesn't have any explicit ones, and he doesn't particularly have any particular personal Noble Phantasms associated with him either that one can then prepare against. Speciically, instead of martial deeds Astofo's claim to fame was going on many adventures, wherein he often acquired the treasures (i.e. Noble Phantasms) of others in one way or another. Thus he's actually got a huge number of gimmicks he can pull out, which makes him unpredictable. The problem being they're mostly just that - gimmicks. For example, that lance he's been carrying around is one of them, and its special ability is "falling." If it touches someone, it causes them to fall down... and that's it (against Servants, it does so by temporarily vanishing a foot). Otherwise it's just a normal lance, and his own personal combat abilities aren't really capable of taking on most legendary heroes even when they're hindered like that.

The Hippogriff is the closest thing he's got to a personal Noble Phantasm, and it's probably his strongest one as well, but even there it's merely decent, it's nowhere remotely on the level of Medusa's Pegasus for example, along with being handicapped by his own personality (it's an enormous mana drain when fully invoked, and do recall how Black's servants are getting mana).

See, I kind of think of him as a classic holy fool, a comic idiot-trickster who can smite evil just as effectively as any traditional hero, but with significantly less dignity. He may seem weak and have weird, gimmicky Noble Phantasms, but he will loving end you just the same, even if it might well be by accident. As a very famous example of that archetype from a very famous cycle of stories, he should be exceptionally dangerous.

Like, imagine if the Road Runner had centuries of mythic power behind him.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

See, I kind of think of him as a classic holy fool, a comic idiot-trickster who can smite evil just as effectively as any traditional hero, but with significantly less dignity. He may seem weak and have weird, gimmicky Noble Phantasms, but he will loving end you just the same, even if it might well be by accident. As a very famous example of that archetype from a very famous cycle of stories, he should be exceptionally dangerous.

Like, imagine if the Road Runner had centuries of mythic power behind him.

so basically you want him to work like the arale vs vegeta fight from super

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Lt. Lizard posted:

On the other hand, Billy the Kid coincidentally possessing the perfect mixture of abilities that allow him to be one of the few beings in the universe capable of defeating Monkey King, despite being incredibly weak otherwise, is another big Fate tradition.

People talking about Fate/ characters like they have DBZ-style power levels rather than goofy gimmick abilities with unpredictable interactions seems to be a flaw of both characters in-universe and people talking about the series on the internet.

I blame Grand Order.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
In the case of Karn, it's basically power levels because he is Gilgamesh-tier bullshit. His flaw is basically being a massive mana drain which is solved by Shiro being his master.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dzhay posted:

People talking about Fate/ characters like they have DBZ-style power levels rather than goofy gimmick abilities with unpredictable interactions seems to be a flaw of both characters in-universe and people talking about the series on the internet.

I blame Grand Order.

Nasu Powerlevel discussion is as old as time itself dude

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Folks I've been watching this show carefully and I'm ready to declare that the best character is the female homunculus who doesn't show any indication of having the same unique spark of self-awareness and self-preservation as Sieg, but is really chill about helping out with Sieg's homunculus liberation plan anyway

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Plutonis posted:

Nasu Powerlevel discussion is as old as this dead gay comedy forum

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Stallion Cabana posted:

To be fair it is exceedingly Fate that someone summons The Monkey King ...

Holy poo poo I would love to see that :allears:

"Wukong, I need you to storm our rival's mansion and steal their scrying orb."
"Sure thing, boss." *flies off and drinks the contents of the nearest bar*

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Dzhay posted:

I blame Grand Order.

I mean, this is somewhat true, but to cut out the technicalities of it and compare the situation in relative terms to FSN: Gilgamesh, Heracles and Arturia are all on the same team, with plenty of mana no less, and on the other team EMIYA suicided himself.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

The_White_Crane posted:

Holy poo poo I would love to see that :allears:

"Wukong, I need you to storm our rival's mansion and steal their scrying orb."
"Sure thing, boss." *flies off and drinks the contents of the nearest bar*
Strange/Fake's Caster is a massive lech and drunk, read Strange/Fake.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dzhay posted:

I blame Grand Order.
if anything grand order led to less power level discussions due to how it made clear that trying to rank these characters objectively didn't really make sense. see: cu being a lower rarity than freaking extra vlad

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Pierson posted:

Strange/Fake's Caster is a massive lech and drunk, read Strange/Fake.

My greatest wish is that Apocrypha works well enough as an anime so we get a Strange Fake adaptation next.

Is Strange Fake even finished? I'm following the manga but it updates very slowly, and I have no idea about the light novels, I can't find any info on them.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

My greatest wish is that Apocrypha works well enough as an anime so we get a Strange Fake adaptation next.

Is Strange Fake even finished? I'm following the manga but it updates very slowly, and I have no idea about the light novels, I can't find any info on them.

The novels will be like 14 books and there's like only 4 finished :negative:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Such is Narita

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Strange Fake seems to be amazing just from the different ideas they're cramming into it. A bunch of 'wouldn't it be cool if...' things have all happened at once.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I liked the reference to a servant version of Elmyr de Hory who could just crank out copies of Noble Phantasms and whatnot, all of them just as good as the real thing.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

TGG posted:

I liked the reference to a servant version of Elmyr de Hory who could just crank out copies of Noble Phantasms and whatnot, all of them just as good as the real thing.

And his name is EMIYA

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Stallion Cabana posted:

Strange Fake seems to be amazing just from the different ideas they're cramming into it. A bunch of 'wouldn't it be cool if...' things have all happened at once.

Avenger noble phantasm gimmicks make more sense and more interesting than Berserkers anyway

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Strange/Fake to me at least is just flat-out better and more compelling in almost every day and the wrong LNs got adapted. It even might have a better version of Ruler but I never read the books so I don't know, maybe she gets pulled into a boring relationship there as well.

edit; this isn't the general T-M thread but w/e I'm leaving it here.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pierson posted:

Strange/Fake to me at least is just flat-out better and more compelling in almost every day and the wrong LNs got adapted. It even might have a better version of Ruler but I never read the books so I don't know, maybe she gets pulled into a boring relationship there as well.

edit; this isn't the general T-M thread but w/e I'm leaving it here.

Does Narita even do boring relationships?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I should really watch Baccano at some point.

Don't get me wrong Apocrypha has some cool-as-poo poo servants but the huge cast seems to have overwhelmed them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Does Narita even do boring relationships?
yes, it's called half the cast of durarara

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So much Facial Distortion in this episode, my god.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Haha get hosed Zouken

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Poor Fran-chan

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Plutonis posted:

Poor Fran-chan

who

oh frankenstein

I thought she got off light not straight up dying

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Shirou Kotomine is rapidly approaching bad fanfic character territory. I kind of like it though.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Grouchio posted:

I don't have any clue what you could possibly be talking about

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

No wonder Saddam Hussein wanted to rebuild the hanging gardens, he'd have a giant laser firing fortress to defend himself with

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Grouchio posted:

It was really only prevalent during Fran's freakout. Otherwise, I thought the animation was pretty good considering this was such an action-heavy episode.

Plutonis posted:

Haha get hosed Zouken

Also, that was definitely the best part of the episode.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

It was really only prevalent during Fran's freakout. Otherwise, I thought the animation was pretty good considering this was such an action-heavy episode.

It really wasn't that great. Like, if you want to say it was a decent job for A-1 Pictures that's one thing, but it was by no means particularly good animation for a major fight. And I'm not just comparing to Ufotable, A-1 has consistently been near the bottom of studios in terms of animation. There are a number of anime this season that have had heavy fight sequences, by various studios, and this really does not compare favorably to many of them. Just for that specific fight, even aside from the facial distortions there were moments earlier in that fight where you should have been able to see Fran's eyes (fringe came up enough) and they still weren't animated. Shakespeare's face was terribly animated at times as well.

Anyways, regarding the other fights, one fun detail about the Achilles/Chiron one is that one reason what Achilles did when he switched styles was so surprising is what he was attacking with. Specifically he attacked with his right heel, aka his Achilles' Heel.

Meanwhile, Atalanta's fight probably suffered the most from details being cut for runtime, as she did far more than just shoot a few arrows in an attempt to take Spartacus down. His durability is absolutely absurd, beyond anything else in the series in terms of actually taking damage and pushing through, but what we saw really wasn't any greater than we've seen in multiple other Fate shows. Like, among other things she tried she effectively ripped out his entire neck at one point before she finally resorted to the focused version of Phoebus Catastrophe.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

It really wasn't that great. Like, if you want to say it was a decent job for A-1 Pictures that's one thing, but it was by no means particularly good animation for a major fight. And I'm not just comparing to Ufotable, A-1 has consistently been near the bottom of studios in terms of animation.
you watch a lot of digibro mate

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this show is better animated than anything ufotable's put out (there are some obvious animation flaws but at least you can vaguely see wtf is supposed to be happening and character animation isnt reserved for one episode)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also cinderella girls and eromanga-sensei are leaps and bounds better animated/directed than any ufotable show.

edit: Also birdy the mighty decode. tbh the only badly animated things a1's put out in recent years are fairy tail (which is a 500 episode shonen thing so ofc the animation is cheap) and like, occultic nine, which mostly just had really bad direction. i guess some of the cg shots in sao 2 were really bad. a1's a pretty consistently good studio, I can't remember them putting out anything on the level of ufotable's god eater or some of the episodes of tales of zestiria the x.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 29, 2017

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I will not fall for your trolls, you devilish schemer.:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

virgin ufotable: hires 500 koreans to animate god eater, has to delay last 4 episodes for nearly a year, everything is directed by the same two guys
chad a1 pictures: has a bunch of talented young people do charming character animation work, brings in exciting new directors

• Locked thread