Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Fate/Apocrypha is an adaptation of the light novels by Yuuichirou Higashide. It's set in a different universe than the other Fate stuff, so you don't need to watch/read/play the other works to get the gist (but it wouldn't hurt to read F/SN). It's gonna be 2 cour, animated by A-1 Pictures.

It's also licensed by netflix, so if you want official streaming, your gonna have to wait till the show ends and netflix puts it all up at once. In the meantime, fansubbers have already picked it up.

Story
In the city of Trifas, two factions will fight for the control of the sacred relic, each of them possessing their own team of seven Servants: the Black Faction whose members are part of Yggdmillennia, protecting the Grail, and the Red Faction whose members were sent by the Mage's Association, trying to take the Grail back. For an event of this scale, the Grail itself summons its own Servant, the holy Ruler, to oversee the conflict.

Characters

Homonculus

Homonculus boy

Masters

Red

Shirou Kotomine: Priest sent by the church

Kairi Sisigo: Freelance necromancer

The other guys

Black

Darnic Prestone Yggdmillennia: Head of the Yggdmillenia clan. Stole the Greater Grail

Left to right: Fiore Forvedge Yggdmillennia, Caulus Forvedge Yggdmillennia, Celenike Icecolle Yggdmillennia, Roche Frain Yggdmillennia, Gordes Musik Yggdmillennia, Reika Rikudou

Servants

Red

Saber of Red: Mordred                                                             Assasin of Red: Queen Semiramis                                                Caster of Red: Shakespeare                                                Berserker of Red: Spartacus

Archer of Red: Atalanta                                                                    Rider of Red: Achilles                                                Lancer of Red: Karna

Black

Saber of Black: Siegfried                                                             Assassin of Black: Jack the Ripper                                  Caster of Black: Avicebron                                             Berserker of Black: Frankentstein('s monster)

Archer of Black: Chiron                                                             Rider of Black: Astolfo(is a boy)                                         Lancer of Black: Vlad the Impaler

Ruler: Jeanne D'Arc

El Burbo fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
good first two eps

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

From the first two eps, I can say that the quality of the series might depend entirely on the amount of Mordred we get.

Also the amount of Mordred gifs that exist, I can't believe I can't find any for her cool as hell helmet.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm not a fan of how Netflix apparently doesn't do simulcasts outside of japan

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

From the first two eps, I can say that the quality of the series might depend entirely on the amount of Mordred we get.

Also the amount of Mordred gifs that exist, I can't believe I can't find any for her cool as hell helmet.

Got u
https://u.nya.is/wlxpyi.webm

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
If I thought fate zero was ok and ubw was bad where would this one probably lie.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Blaze Dragon posted:

As an avid Guild Wars 2 players it amuses me to see this design so suddenly after Legendary Armor was released.

fake edit: ok technically the heavy set debuted last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouaLK8sVu_4

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Sisigo and Mordred are great. Strong contenders for best master/servant in any fate stuff I've seen.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 10, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So is there a good legal place to watch this?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no, netflix has it and netflix wont release it until it's done airing because lulz bingewatching #netflixandchill #binge #omgwtf #livetweet #bluelivesmatter

Wait until the end of the year or torrent it.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So were glasses lady and Charles the Great's boy wonder doing a "mana transfer" in episode 2?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

what do you think

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
That scene felt like they suddenly realized they failed to meet the Fate skeeviness quota at the last minute

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fate isnt skeevy, its badass

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
usually

I forgot to say I can't wait to see what kind of magic Shakespeare uses

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Where's the big titty fox bitch at.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

K. Flaps posted:

Where's the big titty fox bitch at.
she isnt in this show

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I've been tricked.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
check back when fate/extra airs

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

K. Flaps posted:

I've been tricked.

True servant identity: Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Film

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
where are my dolphins and dragons

That's where the pro mana transfers at, imo

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The Colonel posted:

She won't be in that either, FE anime is a Nero joint.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rodyle posted:

The Fate franchise's reluctance to share maximum-ham Chiwa Saito with the rest of the world is perhaps its greatest sin.

Surprisingly Dope posted:

If I thought fate zero was ok and ubw was bad where would this one probably lie.

Closer to the former, I'd guess. Apart from anything else, it seems to be more framed from the perspective of the adults in the cast than the dumb teenagers stumbling in.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean, no, it's absolutely better to be about Nero than Tamamao.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Rodyle posted:

She'll probably still be in it

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Agreed.

I really like the Fate series as a premise (summoning legendary heroes from the past is a great way to inject weird and wacky powers into an understandable modern day setting), but so far this show has mainly involved people standing around talking about how invincible they're going to be whilst nothing happens. And sure Fate Zero had a lot of talking in the opening episodes too, but those discussions gave you a sense of who the characters were and what they were hoping to achieve where as in Apocrypha I feel like I know very little about most of the characters. I also thought those opening episodes for Zero had more energy and pace to them.

Sisigo is a loner I guess.
Shirou is a bit of a schemer.
Main bad guy of Team Black is patient and meticulous I guess?
Moustached guy on Team Black is a dick?
Lady on Team Black is a perv?

I like Mordred and her interactions with Sisigo and I'm on board for some proper Servant vs Servant fights (I guess I don't really count the flash forward in episode 1) but I kinda think there's too many different characters involved here (or at least it frontloads too many of them). Maybe resolves itself if characters have the decency to die early though.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think the weight of what they're doing is brought over slightly better in the manga, where various members of the Yggdmillinia clan like Caules are grousing that setting up a Great Holy Grail War is a massive gamble and incredibly dangerous on Darnic's part.

Also Vlad as drawn by Akira Ishida looks hella cool.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

Sounds like it's gonna be lame and use the boy protag tho

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

It's going to have both

E: male hakuno will be the mc though

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Surprisingly Dope posted:

It's not by ufotable so the animation quality's worse

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

El Burbo posted:

It's going to have both

E: male hakuno will be the mc though

Lame.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My thoughts.

Fran clearly best girl.
*Mordred threatens to stab stab*
Nevermind. Mordred best girl. :D

Fran is still a very strong contender because her growling and grunting is incredibly cute but also kinda sad because she seems like her mannerisms are based on real life Idiot Savants. :(

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Mordred is cool. Astolfo is as well.

Spartacus wins the prize for best teeth though. Which is impressive seeing as the previously mentioned two have brought their a-game.

And I hope there is a Berserker-off at some point. No point having two Berserkers if they're not gonna fight.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty jazzed that for once I get to enjoy a Fate property while having no idea about what is going to happen. Pretty much everything else has been spoiled for me beforehand.

McDragon posted:

Mordred is cool. Astolfo is as well.

Spartacus wins the prize for best teeth though. Which is impressive seeing as the previously mentioned two have brought their a-game.

And I hope there is a Berserker-off at some point. No point having two Berserkers if they're not gonna fight.

Spartacus is great because he finally breaks the mold of mindless grunting Berserkers and is instead eloquent but crazy. I'm also really amused that apparently according to some of the official side material he would have amazing affinity with Emiya Shirou if summoned by him.

Bakanogami fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 10, 2017

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Watched the UTW subs, and while the episodes were good, the video quality was absolute garbage. Horrible amounts of artifacts in pretty much every scene. Is there a fansub out there with better video quality?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

One funny thing so far is how concerned the Black faction are about Mordred, when the episode ends revealing the Red Lancer is Karna. Even outside Nasuverse, if you know anything about Indian myths in general, or the Mahābhārata in particular, their legendary figures are utterly insane in terms of power.

I am curious though if anyone who hasn't been spoiled in one way or another can place Red's other two Servants yet. Rider is admittedly probably a wash, but Archer might just be possible to identify.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

One funny thing so far is how concerned the Black faction are about Mordred, when the episode ends revealing the Red Lancer is Karna. Even outside Nasuverse, if you know anything about Indian myths in general, or the Mahābhārata in particular, their legendary figures are utterly insane in terms of power.

I am curious though if anyone who hasn't been spoiled in one way or another can place Red's other two Servants yet. Rider is admittedly probably a wash, but Archer might just be possible to identify.

As I recall, though, you get power from name recognition, so one of the most famous figures in Arthurian legend is never going to be anything other than a force to be reckoned with, especially when summoned in Europe.

If the war was taking place in India, yeah, this wouldn't even be a contest. In fact, I imagine that the first thing a Ruler would do would be to murder anyone from the Mahabharata and Ramayana on the grounds of 'hahaha gently caress no'.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

When I was reading the manga, when Rider started talking during his first fight (which will be next episode), coupled with his power, I immediately went "Oh that's who it is"

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

El Burbo posted:

When I was reading the manga, when Rider started talking during his first fight (which will be next episode), coupled with his power, I immediately went "Oh that's who it is"

That reminds me that sequence of events seem to be in a bit of a mess at this point.

Spoilers for Servant identities, as well as the LN sequence of events
Siegfried needs to meet up and fight Karna while defending Jeanne in order to set up their 'rivalry', but he also needs to be present alongside Frankenstein to fend off Achilles and Atalanta while Vlad and Avicebron deals with Spartacus. But now Spartacus is already charging the HQ at the same time Karna is heading out to kill Jeanne. So I'm curious how things will turn out.

Also I noticed Gordes didn't give the order for Siegfried to remain silent unless given explicit permission. I guess they don't want to waste hiring Junichi Suwabe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

El Burbo posted:

Oh, sure, once characters start talking and using their abilities it becomes much easier. But a decent number of Servants in the Fate series have been successfully guessed in the past simply from their design, so was curious if anyone could place the two before getting any other clues. Rider I just think is a wash because he has a fairly generic design, and it's more just wild guessing at that point. He's got two symbols on him, but of them I generally associate an olive branch design with Athens and he's not from there, making that actually somewhat deceptive. The other one I can't place, so I guess it could theoretically help if it's actually meaningful.

• Locked thread