Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Clarste posted:

Okay, my problem with her is that her story is pretty interesting and the game's writing just doesn't care. She comes to the past to warn of a betrayal, only for everyone to shrug it off and assume everything will be fine this time around just because. And then it is, yay! Lucina's warnings are completely ineffective, and she's basically written out of the story more than half the time when they're dealing with other stuff. She'd have been better served as an actual protagonist rather than a footnote in the Chrom/Robin story (not that Chrom is a great character either, arguably worse).

Her warnings save Basilio's life v Warmart Lobster which in turn causes the gem switcheroo to happen which stops Lucina's Husband/Mother turning into DragonSatan and killing everyone. That's pretty drat important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Clarste posted:

Okay, my problem with her is that her story is pretty interesting and the game's writing just doesn't care. She comes to the past to warn of a betrayal, only for everyone to shrug it off and assume everything will be fine this time around just because. And then it is, yay! Lucina's warnings are completely ineffective, and she's basically written out of the story more than half the time when they're dealing with other stuff. She'd have been better served as an actual protagonist rather than a footnote in the Chrom/Robin story (not that Chrom is a great character either, arguably worse).

Well, the story is basically set-up in a way such that Lucina's warnings actually do impact things this time round - Basilio was more careful when fighting Walhart, and Chrom/Robin were more prepared for Valbar's trickery.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Shinji117 posted:

Her warnings save Basilo's life which causes the gem switcheroo to happen. That's pretty drat important.

Not really. The important part was always supposed to be Robin betraying Chrom, and that's resolved through the power of friendship.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Clarste posted:

Not really. The important part was always supposed to be Robin betraying Chrom, and that's resolved through the power of friendship.

Even if Robin didn't betray Chrom, if Valbar had the complete Emblem things would have gotten much worse probably (the reason why they couldn't perform the Awakening in Lucina's timeline was because they couldn't get all the gemstones). So if in theory Robin still betrayed Chrom but Basilio survived long enough to switch the Emblems, then at least a much worse crisis was averted.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Even if Robin didn't betray Chrom, if Valbar had the complete Emblem things would have gotten much worse probably (the reason why they couldn't perform the Awakening in Lucina's timeline was because they couldn't get all the gemstones). So if in theory Robin still betrayed Chrom but Basilio survived long enough to switch the Emblems, then at least a much worse crisis was averted.

Theoretically, maybe, but dramatically speaking the plot was filled entirely with Lucina trying to convince Chrom to worry about Robin, Chrom repeatedly shrugging it off, no one listening to her until she's finally desperate enough to kill her own mother, and then finally things resolving themselves nicely because of the Power of Friendship (and without her direct input). Basically it's set up in a way that indicates she was worried over nothing, and she should've trusted her friends, etc etc. Throughout the entire story, she's the only one who cares about the future, and in the end she's the one who has to learn a lesson about trust? The story shits all over Lucina.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

She tried to kill her mom which is pretty badass

She tries to kill Sumia?!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The game also gives you the opportunity to ignore Chrom's 'we belong together! No more sacrifices!' and just sacrifice Robin anyway, so at least it's equal opportunity.

If it wasn't going to be Fire Emblem's swan song they could have easily not put in the after credits 'good ending' instead of it being pretty much the guaranteed 'better' ending.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Clarste posted:

...No?

Like, not at all?

It's resolved through Robin making sure Validar doesn't have the whole Fire Emblem to cast the mind control spell at full force. It's actively loving with the bad guy by bluffing and being clever, not just blindly relying on friendship (Which only comes into play in the ending).

I mean, Robin mentions it's only foreknowledge (admittedly, his, not Lucina's) that lets him outplay Validar here.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

...No?

Like, not at all?

It's resolved through Robin making sure Validar doesn't have the whole Fire Emblem to cast the mind control spell at full force. It's actively loving with the bad guy by bluffing and being clever, not just blindly relying on friendship (Which only comes into play in the ending).

I mean, Robin mentions it's only foreknowledge (admittedly, his, not Lucina's) that lets him outplay Validar here.

Honestly I don't remember the Fire Emblem being related to the mind control at all. Maybe I just forgot that part, I'll concede that.

But even so, Lucina isn't the one being clever. I mean, clearly the past did change, but it wasn't because she was effective at convincing anyone of anything, or even because of her fighting prowess. They didn't consult with her about how they could alter their plans using her knowledge. Heck, as I said, they ignored her so often that she felt desperate enough to commit murder. Again, ineffectively. She was consistently portrayed as a desperate, helpless, overly-emotional person who was absolutely never allowed to be the hero of her own story.

You could honestly cut her from the plot completely without changing all that much. Robin's premonitions could easily fill in the gaps, and the story is almost exactly the same.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 29, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean, Lucina's only warnings up to that chapter were:

-Save Emmeryn from being assassinated (which they did)
-Don't go Basilio (which he ignored but at least was more careful)

So uhh... 1 out of 2 I guess.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Emmeryn died anyway (if you ignore the DLC, which you should). The whole point of that was to highlight her ineffectiveness at changing the past in the ways she wanted to.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Lucina is cool

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Clarste posted:

Emmeryn died anyway (if you ignore the DLC, which you should). The whole point of that was to highlight her ineffectiveness at changing the past in the ways she wanted to.

And Emmeryn surviving as long as she did to give her long dramatic speech helped sway some Plegians to uhh... I dunno.

I mean, I think the game tries to subtly hint that Lucina's interventions are doing help, just not directly because most 'alternate timelines' stories usually just end up having the second timeline being exactly the same as the first because how else are you going to know what happened in the first'.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

And Emmeryn surviving as long as she did to give her long dramatic speech helped sway some Plegians to uhh... I dunno.

Reduce the war's length by years, and prevent Chrom from suffering a crippling injury.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, yeah, there's this whole "things are subtly changing in this timeline" but none of it's according to Lucina's plans. She causes at best unforeseen ripple effects, while everything she tries to do is ineffective. Thereby portraying her efforts as, dramatically speaking, ineffective. And when everything finally does work out, the story simply shifts away from her entirely to focus on Robin. She's never really portrayed as a hero who accomplished anything.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

The main plot of Awakening is pretty weak, but the main plot is also the least important part of any story ever and Lucina herself is enjoyable with fun interactions with other characters and enough story presence to get cool scenes and be memorable outside of supports.

E:She's not amazing or anything and doesn't really hit top 5 characters from Awakening but she's good enough that it's easy to see why she's so popular.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 29, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

No comment about her supports, but her only memorable story scenes imo were her initial introduction and the time she tries to kill her mom. The rest of the time she's even less relevant than Virion. The game almost literally forgets that she and her time travel plotline exist for long stretches of time.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

No comment about her supports, but her only memorable story scenes imo were her initial introduction and the time she tries to kill her mom. The rest of the time she's even less relevant than Virion. The game almost literally forgets that she and her time travel plotline exist for long stretches of time.

Trying to kill her mum is a good scene and so is the scene where Basilio dies which she is relevant to in warning him, which happens right before hand.

Also Virion gets one scene about telling Chrom about Valm and then nothing when you'd think he'd be around for revenge against the guy who slaughtered his countrymen and made him flee his home and everything. So I can pretty safely say she's more relevant than Virion, although he should've got more screen time because he's fantastic

E: And this is just after the unmasking before she had a lot of build up as Marth which were fairly effective at making her seem cool.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
"A few good scenes" puts her above everyone but Chrom and Robin outside of supports tbh

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

"A few good scenes" puts her above everyone but Chrom and Robin outside of supports tbh

Sumia punched Chrom that one time and that was really good.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
lucina is utena and "i challenge my fate!" is a sick line

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Lucina's new lance in Fire Emblem Heroes has the old Awakening cipher letters on it, and when translated, it reads "anime project success"

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/6wp1ah/text_in_lucinas_spear_from_heroes_new_fire_emblem/

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I can't wait for people to get mad about canon pairings.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
They're either gonna do Robin x Chrom or Robin x Lucina depending on which gender they go with

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ooh, Narcian GHB is back. I was actually just regretting sending a bunch of him home because I kind of wanted lancebreaker

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Turns out fully built flier emblem destroys the Narcian GHB, even on infernal

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you don't have good enough fliers for a frontal assault, the dancer draw back strat is practically the only way to break into the enemy position. The archer with panic ploy is just so obnoxious.

I cleared it with about a stamina bar's worth of attempts with Delthea/Xander/Olivia/Priscilla. Olivia was irrelevant after the first turn, Delthea just killed the sword, drew back Olivia, and baited the blue mage. Xander with healing backup just soloed the rest of the map.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Apparently, we're getting supports in FEH.

Datamine Text
Incoming Support System
MID_TIPS_0018: Strengthen your allies through\nAlly Support! Allies who are\npartnered up will gain a stat\nboost when they fight near\neach other.\n\nYou can find Ally Support\nunder Advanced Growth in the\nAllies menu.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
olwen-reinhardt support >:3

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I somehow managed it on my first try with Olivia/Rein/Minerva/Setsuna. Rein initiated on the sword guy and got reposition danced out of danger. I managed to pick off the bow cav with Minerva+Olivia, then the other units one by one until only Narcian was left and he was easy

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mysticblade posted:

Apparently, we're getting supports in FEH.

Datamine Text
Incoming Support System
MID_TIPS_0018: Strengthen your allies through\nAlly Support! Allies who are\npartnered up will gain a stat\nboost when they fight near\neach other.\n\nYou can find Ally Support\nunder Advanced Growth in the\nAllies menu.

I hope that at least certain specific pairings get conversations

Really cool either way

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Cleared Narcian Infernal on my first try with the usual Reinhardt/Celica/Bridelia/Azura team. The whole thing was just "Reinhardt/Bridelia kill a guy, get danced and reposition Azura to safety" until every enemy was dead.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Holy poo poo I got a hector!

Holy poo poo neutral??

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I would prefer interludes that buff stats. Ahem Odin.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I have now dumped 22k feathers into a -atk lilina

This is by far the shittiest project I have ever attempted, but she'll be done in three more stamina bars

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
I don't like having five Narcians, but he's non-renewable so I can't bear to part with any of them.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
he has lancebreaker!!!

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Yashichi posted:

I don't like having five Narcians, but he's non-renewable so I can't bear to part with any of them.

I feel I can let one go because I can only ever fit 4 on a team, right?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1MUEfyQF9A

lmao lyn and ike comes with three skills and a special weapon because gently caress you, I guess.

anti-bladetome/anti-distant counter/debuffer calvary lyn coming through

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

That's what they get for winning the popularity poll.