Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanks Ants posted:

How are you going to get it done when you aren't even due to see the email until tomorrow morning?

This is a good post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Sounds like a kid with a lisp talking about his car hobby

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Judge Schnoopy posted:

That's a pretty good point. I'm more concerned that this supervisor isn't submitting the new employee through the onboarding process implemented early this year.

I guess this one is worthwhile to raise a stink over. Wish me luck, this is the same supervisor I mouthed off to a few weeks ago. He's gonna get real tired of me!

They are all worthwhile to raise a stink over. It's the only way to get some people to follow the proper processes. If you make an exception this time, he won't learn and will expect the same treatment forever, including you working on Sunday to onboard a new user for Monday.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

I'll never complain about a 60 working day lead time ever again

We quite like our fiber vendor's 40-workdays install time. It forces the planing department to actually *gasp* plan instead of just make a ticket that says "Y-Department is moving to Z-Address. They'll start moving Monday. Will you get them a line?" Sure we'll get them a line. It'll be ready in two months.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Crowley posted:

We quite like our fiber vendor's 40-workdays install time. It forces the planing department to actually *gasp* plan instead of just make a ticket that says "Y-Department is moving to Z-Address. They'll start moving Monday. Will you get them a line?" Sure we'll get them a line. It'll be ready in two months.

There is nothing like a Gantt chart for this. We are moving to a new building? It's going to take me six months: 4 months to come up with a plan that everyone buys off on, two months (minimum) to order/provision/coordinate the buildout at the new site and one weekend to execute the move.

This reeeeeeeeealy long bar through the middle of the chart that's helpfully highlighted as the critical path? That's the vendor installation of our new internet pipe. This is 100% out of our control and 100% the blocker for everything else to the right of it.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

MANime in the sheets posted:

They are all worthwhile to raise a stink over. It's the only way to get some people to follow the proper processes. If you make an exception this time, he won't learn and will expect the same treatment forever, including you working on Sunday to onboard a new user for Monday.

I replied back that the user account should be ready by 2 PM today. I finished everything up around 11 AM and sat on the login info.

Somebody else raised the red flag that they were getting direct requests for application logins when the supervisor should have used the onboarding process. So the onboarding form was completed and submitted a few minutes ago, came over to me, and I was glad to complete my portion 10 minutes before 2 PM.

Hopefully this helps teach a lesson that the 5 people needing to touch a new account are requiring everybody to use the onboard process, no matter where in the org chart they are. I'm glad this new employee missed over half a day of using her computer because her supervisor decided to direct email access requests on a Sunday, and even more glad that everybody banded together for a resounding "no".

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I replied back that the user account should be ready by 2 PM today. I finished everything up around 11 AM and sat on the login info.

Somebody else raised the red flag that they were getting direct requests for application logins when the supervisor should have used the onboarding process. So the onboarding form was completed and submitted a few minutes ago, came over to me, and I was glad to complete my portion 10 minutes before 2 PM.

Hopefully this helps teach a lesson that the 5 people needing to touch a new account are requiring everybody to use the onboard process, no matter where in the org chart they are. I'm glad this new employee missed over half a day of using her computer because her supervisor decided to direct email access requests on a Sunday, and even more glad that everybody banded together for a resounding "no".

The thought process of someone like that bugs the poo poo out of me. It takes more effort to email 5 different groups separately than going to one single location. The amount of effort people put into doing everything but what policy dictates is just loving mystifying.

I will never understand people who refuse to use these processes and then get upset when they don't get what they want.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
"the process is too slow"

because the guy waited until Sunday to notify anybody on the details of the new hire, even though word was the new hire was selected and given an offer over two weeks ago

It's primarily the panic button of "oh poo poo this is my fault now, I'll just throw this spaghetti at the wall and see what I end up with on day 1, and tell the new hire that I'm waiting on everybody else to provide access"

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I got notice last week on Tuesday for Monday (today) of a new hire, got the name end of day Wednesday powershell script had all the accounts made in 10 minutes since it was pretty standard permissions. Handed the account info off to the manager on Thursday.

My part is done, ordered a pack of CALs since we were at capacity and having extra is always a good idea, phone, had a computer everything is setup Thursday sans desk. They have a nice new chair which I kind of want to steal but I'm not a jerk. Today, still no desk, no one bothered to order or go to the store and get one. It's almost end of day and the user is still sitting on a pillow working on the floor.

At least my part went smoothly.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

pixaal posted:

I got notice last week on Tuesday for Monday (today) of a new hire, got the name end of day Wednesday powershell script had all the accounts made in 10 minutes since it was pretty standard permissions. Handed the account info off to the manager on Thursday.

My part is done, ordered a pack of CALs since we were at capacity and having extra is always a good idea, phone, had a computer everything is setup Thursday sans desk. They have a nice new chair which I kind of want to steal but I'm not a jerk. Today, still no desk, no one bothered to order or go to the store and get one. It's almost end of day and the user is still sitting on a pillow working on the floor.

At least my part went smoothly.

Sitting on a pillow? This can't be real right?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sickening posted:

The thought process of someone like that bugs the poo poo out of me. It takes more effort to email 5 different groups separately than going to one single location. The amount of effort people put into doing everything but what policy dictates is just loving mystifying.

I will never understand people who refuse to use these processes and then get upset when they don't get what they want.

It's always a time thing. Usually because Fuckstick McGee waited too long to put in the request, and they're trying to save face.

Sometimes it's a legit emergency. Usually not.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

It's always a time thing. Usually because Fuckstick McGee waited too long to put in the request, and they're trying to save face.

Sometimes it's a legit emergency. Usually not.

What in the hell does a direct email do that a ticket does not? Outside of the obvious issues with missing all data the ticketing systems provides.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Someone just put a ticket in for a new employee...they don't start for 19 days.

:neckbeard:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

MANime in the sheets posted:

Not only that, but this also puts your rear end on the line. What if this guy didn't go through HR for this hire, and shouldn't have even made an offer? What if it's not actually a new hire, but a straw account so that they can get away with stealing from the company?

I'm not saying those are likely, but they're both entirely possible, and one of the reasons there's an onboarding process.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sickening posted:

What in the hell does a direct email do that a ticket does not? Outside of the obvious issues with missing all data the ticketing systems provides.

Gives Fuckstick McGee the opportunity pass the blame to a specific person rather than a nebulous process.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

ConfusedUs posted:

Gives Fuckstick McGee the opportunity pass the blame to a specific person rather than a nebulous process.

Yep!

Most of the application logins here are not configured by IT, but by the department that sponsors the program. Our CRM logins are handled by a customer service administrator, our HR portal logins are handled by HR, our timekeeping logins and permissions are handled by the business department. The onboarding workflow hits each of these people one at a time to ensure nothing gets missed. At the end of the workflow it's bounced back to HR so they can send all the login info to the new hire's manager.

If the supervisor sends 5 emails to separate people, he thinks they will all start working at the same time, he can blame an individual if their part isn't completed on time, and walks away with the rest of the logins faster. Which is why I'm so happy everybody else in the chain said "nope" and forced him to start at square 1 with the onboard workflow.

e; The whole department is off their loving rocker.
"Hey IT Manager, meet the new hire! You have a meeting with her on Wednesday."
"Um, I do? I don't recall seeing a meeting invite, or any info on this. Can you clarify what time that meeting is, as I have a system cutover on Wednesday?"
"My notes don't indicate a time. What works best for you?"

What the gently caress guys, when were you going to schedule this mystery meeting?!? You know you want it to happen but don't tell anybody else, what do you think is gonna happen?

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 28, 2017

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Sickening posted:

You've just described a good portion of my end users. They'll call all 5 techs desk phones as well as the directors' and leave messages for them before they'll even attempt to open a ticket. "Because it takes too long to open a ticket". It takes maybe 5 minutes. It probably took them about 1-2 minutes per person that they called, waited for VM to pick up and leave them a message.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Almost all users perceive ticketing systems as slow because it's a queue and the ticket will sit there for some length of time before someone takes ownership and starts processing it.

Which is true, but gently caress it. This is how the world works, just F5 Reddit for ten minutes and move on with life.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

Almost all users perceive ticketing systems as slow because it's a queue and the ticket will sit there for some length of time before someone takes ownership and starts processing it.

Which is true, but gently caress it. This is how the world works, just F5 Reddit for ten minutes and move on with life.

Every such user: "I know, I will mark it highest priority urgent production down to get it looked at faster."

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Not pissing me off:

That powershell script y'all helped me with before? Guy who needed the work done comes back to me and says "Yes, some how the list has gone from 4,000 to 7,000 now. Can you do what you did before and add the emails?"

YES I CAN! Except he sent the entire 7k list instead of pruning out the 4k that we'd already done. Took almost a full minute for the script to run that time.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Not pissing me off:

That powershell script y'all helped me with before? Guy who needed the work done comes back to me and says "Yes, some how the list has gone from 4,000 to 7,000 now. Can you do what you did before and add the emails?"

YES I CAN! Except he sent the entire 7k list instead of pruning out the 4k that we'd already done. Took almost a full minute for the script to run that time.

It feels good, doesn't it?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Not pissing me off:

The secret is doing this work while under the guise that you are doing it manually. Don't let muggles know about powershell magic.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"Ah man 7000 records, that's gonna take a while"

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Sickening posted:

The secret is doing this work while under the guise that you are doing it manually. Don't let muggles know about powershell magic.

I effin' wish I could pull that. It all started with being explicitly told to use powershell. Oh well, ace in my pocket for my next job, whenever that may be.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

SeaborneClink posted:

Oh, you're the new Turtlicious huh? :raise:

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Sorry for comparing you to turtlicious

I didn't even get this reference... ?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

sfwarlock posted:

I didn't even get this reference... ?

a little over a year ago Turtlicious played a 3-month-in-the-making april fools day prank on one of these threads, said he had this crazy outlandish job that required a ton of worst-practice poo poo. Installing keyloggers in the accounting department and configuring "AD Directory Domain Services" with absolutely no knowledge. Said his boss was promoting him to "Cyber Counter-Terrorist" because he called out one of his buddies for leaking company data or something. At $9.50 an hour in San Fran. Claimed he made a presentation of his AD Directory Domain server to the company board wearing a tuxedo and white gloves.

He didn't make it to April before he gave in to the thread calling him on his bullshit. In retrospect though that poo poo was hilarious.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I effin' wish I could pull that. It all started with being explicitly told to use powershell.

The code should be easy because of your fine decision to enter The Realm Of Code, but testing is going to take time. I need to cross check this and that to prevent a calamity, but I'm just going to do it myself to make sure it gets done right and I'll get it done for you by Thursday.

Coding should either be something they understand and respect, or you should drag them into deep water where your crocodile rear end has leverage. It's not BS to set expectations that code is not a panacea for first time requests.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Judge Schnoopy posted:

a little over a year ago Turtlicious played a 3-month-in-the-making april fools day prank on one of these threads, said he had this crazy outlandish job that required a ton of worst-practice poo poo. Installing keyloggers in the accounting department and configuring "AD Directory Domain Services" with absolutely no knowledge. Said his boss was promoting him to "Cyber Counter-Terrorist" because he called out one of his buddies for leaking company data or something. At $9.50 an hour in San Fran. Claimed he made a presentation of his AD Directory Domain server to the company board wearing a tuxedo and white gloves.

He didn't make it to April before he gave in to the thread calling him on his bullshit. In retrospect though that poo poo was hilarious.

Where the gently caress is this thread?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Where the gently caress is this thread?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3653857&userid=189869

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I effin' wish I could pull that. It all started with being explicitly told to use powershell. Oh well, ace in my pocket for my next job, whenever that may be.

save your scripts! I do it in onenote. I was a little bit sad, that I wasn't able to help with your powershell script. I should read these threads more often.

It's actually good that your boss made the request to use powershell. it really is a gamechanger.
Have you read the book: "powershell in a month of lunches"? I highly recommend it. Teaches you Powershell in a fast and good manner

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Why would you save your scripts in a format designed for notes when there are loads of free VCS options out there?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
free VCS?
I like to do it in onenote. because I can access my scripts from anywhere. I keep them seperated between companies.

Íf there is a better way to do this. I would love to know.

Sefal fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Aug 29, 2017

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Sefal posted:

free VCS?

Ie: github/gitlab/bitbucket

Started a new job last week, and asked where the Cloud formation files were kept and was met with blank looks and have had to give the beginner's guide to git to both the CTO and "senior devops" :psyduck:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sefal posted:

free VCS?
I like to do it in onenote. because I can access my scripts from anywhere. I keep them seperated between companies.

Version Control System.
As fluppet suggests, GitHub or BitBucket. Sign up for a personal account and you can make one or more private repositories where you can keep a version history of your scripts.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

nielsm posted:

Version Control System.
As fluppet suggests, GitHub or BitBucket. Sign up for a personal account and you can make one or more private repositories where you can keep a version history of your scripts.

As a fellow "scripting saved in OneNote" I'm supremely pissed at myself for not thinking of git. Then again, work probably has it on lockdown, but I'll give it a try today.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Same. Time to get on github.
Thank you!

stevewm
May 10, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

One of our offices moved, scheduled the install six months in advance, and was still working off of hotspots six months after the move.

Yes, it took a year to get working internet to that location.

What really pissing me off is that our location is smack in the middle of the central business district. We are surrounded on all sides by restaurants and other stores that have the same services, some less than 50 ft away, but yet it takes months for them to install service.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I have to wonder what the business model of not delivering service to customers trying to buy is.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
1. Be a monopoly
2. Set your prices however you want, deliver your service however you want
3. Profit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Sefal posted:

Same. Time to get on github.
Thank you!

I should probably start changing my habits here too, I just keep any useful powershell code I've written/found organized in my onedrive.