Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

MC Hawking posted:

So my N5x decided to start bootlooping this morning and I've been out of the loop (heh) of phones since I picked that one up. I have my old N5 as a backup but it's a little finicky. I was wondering if anyone can give me a good synopsis as to what's a decent budget buy these days? I'd like to stay on Tmobile so I can just swap my sim over. I've been on the Nexus program since the 5 but the Pixel is to goddamn much money and I'd like to think at this point most of the manufacturers are on the up and up when it comes to security stuff. Camera and stability is a priority, maybe a last gen SGS7? How are the new Nokia Phones from amazon looking? I don't really need to have root anymore, since you can get adblocking for browsers and I bought all the apps I used regularly to get rid of advertising. I'd like to keep it in a budget of $300 or so.

Moto G5+ 4gb/64gb is the general consensus for best budget phone. Additionally you could try a Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 as it's even cheaper but a similar performer at the cost of less LTE bands in the US (definitely for AT&T, not sure how it is for T-Mobile).

Also, we could probably get a new thread going with updated info seeing as this one is almost 3 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

MC Hawking posted:

So my N5x decided to start bootlooping this morning and I've been out of the loop (heh) of phones since I picked that one up. I have my old N5 as a backup but it's a little finicky. I was wondering if anyone can give me a good synopsis as to what's a decent budget buy these days? I'd like to stay on Tmobile so I can just swap my sim over. I've been on the Nexus program since the 5 but the Pixel is to goddamn much money and I'd like to think at this point most of the manufacturers are on the up and up when it comes to security stuff. Camera and stability is a priority, maybe a last gen SGS7? How are the new Nokia Phones from amazon looking? I don't really need to have root anymore, since you can get adblocking for browsers and I bought all the apps I used regularly to get rid of advertising. I'd like to keep it in a budget of $300 or so.

Moto G5+

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Moto G5 regular says it's up to date even though the security patch level is January 2017. UK model from Tesco. Dafuq can I do to remedy this cock block?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Moto G5 regular says it's up to date even though the security patch level is January 2017. UK model from Tesco. Dafuq can I do to remedy this cock block?

Has a newer security patch been released for your phone model?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 20, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Blue Train posted:

Unless you really need the phone to be that tiny just buy the latest generation moto g. The performance is much better than the first gen

interesting that the reviews suggest that the G4 is marginally better than the G5 (depending on what specs are important to you)

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

spog posted:

interesting that the reviews suggest that the G4 is marginally better than the G5 (depending on what specs are important to you)

I wouldn't count on the g4 getting any more updates, however it is what I have and it is perfectly fine if you want to go that route

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

MC Hawking posted:

Awesome, thanks for the advice guys I'll dig through some reviews and pricing. Amazon Warehouse has 'em for just over $200 which is perfect.

Edit: A lot of reviews are dinging the camera as being "not as great as the SGS7 which has the same module" but whatever, can't complain at that price.

It is the same module but without OIS.

My experience with Moto phones has always been such: the camera is great when you would expect, and underwhelming just the same. If nothing else, I love their camera app. And for the price, it well exceeds expectations as you said.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Blue Train posted:

I wouldn't count on the g4 getting any more updates, however it is what I have and it is perfectly fine if you want to go that route

Oh god, am I going to have to work out the differences between the G4, G4 Plus, G4 Play, G5 and G5 Plus?

Which also come in 8GB/!6GB/32Gb and 2GB/3GB variants?

and also hidden Single Sim/Dual Sim variants?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The difference between the g4 and g4+ are better camera and a fingerprint reader in the plus. The g5+ has no nonplus version afaik. The g4/+ had 16gb minimum with 2gb ram, ram went up with storage (32/3, 64/4) the 5g+ is 32/2 and 64/4 I think. The g4 play is a completely different thing and will be worse than the other two. their naming scheme is garbage

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yea with lenovo/Moto updates you will get probably one major version upgrade and infrequent (quarterly?) security updates that will be a few months behind when you do receive them. There are lots of roms available and it's not hard to unlock the bootloader and flash one but I would never recommend that route to a normal person

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Blue Train posted:

The g5+ has no nonplus version afaik.
Moto G5 definitely exists.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It exists, but not in North America.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'm confident you'll get by without it anyway. It's not that exciting.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

bull3964 posted:

It exists, but not in North America.

As an American only America exists, to me

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Canada is part of North America: https://www.motorola.ca/products/moto-g. You'd still want the G5 Plus instead, though.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I'm in the UK.

Which seems to have the G5, G5S and G5S Plus and now my brain hurts.

The G1 is for my other half who only uses it for photos and WhatsApp and who would be happy with just a new screen.

I have a G4 Play which i use for photos, SA and podcasts. No games. It's okay - occasionally lags but does the job that my PC and tablet don't.

So, should I get a G5 something for myself and bequeath the G4? Or grab a go or something off eBay for them?

'Garbage' is a very good description of their naming and range decisions. Blew my mind that the number of sim slots depended on what colour you chose.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The g5s offerings are newer and I think offer a slight cpu and camera improvement over the g5 so I guess it depends if you want to spend presumably more for a slight spec bump

actually here is a comparison http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/140313-motorola-moto-g5-vs-g5-plus-vs-g5s-vs-g5s-plus-what-are-all-these-moto-phones

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Are these the exact same model of car charger?

https://store.google.com/gb/product/belkin_15w_usb_c_car_charger?hl=en-GB

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GUVNHY8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_E.kPzb8BMAF86

Cheaper on Amazon but the USB charger debacle has me anxious about everything.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 29, 2017

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

So, the Moto Z Play (2016) battery hype train is real.

I'm at 1 day 23 hours since last charge with 3 hours 12 min SoT and I'm at 51% battery.

Having insane battery life is one of those things you don't really realize how awesome it is until you have a phone like that. No more worrying about car chargers, borrowing a charger, carrying a portable battery. Forget to plug in before bed? No big deal.

This was the Hauwei Mate 9 after about 24 hours unplugged. Almost all of it was video streaming on LTE

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Are these the exact same model of car charger?

https://store.google.com/gb/of car charger product/belkin_15w_usb_c_car_charger?hl=en-GB
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GUVNHY8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_E.kPzb8BMAF86

Cheaper on Amazon but the USB charger debacle has me anxious about everything.

First link is a 404, but it should be the same.

That said, don't buy that charger for a Pixel. It doesn't have any IR drop compensation and Belkin didn't hardwire any compensation for the cable into the charger. So, long story short, its voltage is too low to trigger rapid charging on the Pixel. You are actually better off with an A-C cable and a charger that does Apple signaling.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Been using a z5c for about a week now and it's fantastic. It reminds me of my lumia 920. :3:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So when/why did the Pixel price go back up? Is it still on sale anywhere else? I was planning on grabbing one as my paycheck came in, but it's back to 700+ for the xl. :negative:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It went back to normal price like two weeks ago.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MC Hawking posted:

I snagged one of amazon warehouse but I'm gonna be steamed if it doesn't have a notification LED. Freaking love notification LEDs and wish stuff like the disco trackball from the N1 would make a comeback. Then again I still want a physical keyboard so I might be stuck in the past.

Motorolas haven't had functional notification LEDs in forever. Even the Nexus 6 didn't have one that worked. Should've bought a Blackberry, they hit all your wants including updates.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

bull3964 posted:

First link is a 404, but it should be the same.

That said, don't buy that charger for a Pixel. It doesn't have any IR drop compensation and Belkin didn't hardwire any compensation for the cable into the charger. So, long story short, its voltage is too low to trigger rapid charging on the Pixel. You are actually better off with an A-C cable and a charger that does Apple signaling.

Was the original link. It's the Google recommend charger. This USB C stuff is worse than I thought.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/HJ3H2ZM/A/belkin-car-charger-24a-12w?fnode=97

Is that the correct choice? The voltage is even lower than the previous link.

If that's not the one, can someone recommend a decent and safe fast car charger? I'm in the UK.

Edit: how about this one

Belkin Boost-Up 2-Port Fast Charging 2 x 2.4 A/24 W Universal USB-A Car Charger - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072QWRVTZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_8gsPzbMWESM1Z

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Aug 29, 2017

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Can somebody explain to me why my 5X will every so often, in the middle of podcast, cut the volume and I have to fish it out of my pocket and manually confirm that yes, I do want to make it louder? How can I stop this really annoying feature

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ugh whatever jeez posted:

Can somebody explain to me why my 5X will every so often, in the middle of podcast, cut the volume and I have to fish it out of my pocket and manually confirm that yes, I do want to make it louder? How can I stop this really annoying feature

I haven't seen that in years. Are you in America?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I am, and my G5+ gives me the "not our fault if you ruin your ears, you potentially litigious idiot" warning every now and then, though it doesn't just drop the volume while I'm listening to something that I've ever noticed.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ugh whatever jeez posted:

If you find out, please let me know. It's such a dumb feature, someone has just decided that a certain volume setting on a certain port is loud, with no consideration for how loud the connected device is actually playing.. It doesn't trigger on bluetooth headsets so you can kill your hearing there, but it does trigger on mini speakers that are hard to drive so max volume is barely useful while "safe" volume is completely inaudible. Idiots.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Was the original link. It's the Google recommend charger. This USB C stuff is worse than I thought.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/HJ3H2ZM/A/belkin-car-charger-24a-12w?fnode=97

Is that the correct choice? The voltage is even lower than the previous link.

If that's not the one, can someone recommend a decent and safe fast car charger? I'm in the UK.

Edit: how about this one

Belkin Boost-Up 2-Port Fast Charging 2 x 2.4 A/24 W Universal USB-A Car Charger - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072QWRVTZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_8gsPzbMWESM1Z

General recommendation is to look for an Apple 12w charger with a USB-A port and an Anker or Amazonbasics A-C cable. See the linked article below for an explanation.

anakha posted:

According to Nathan K, Apple-type 12W charging can charge a Pixel at 2.4a, even using an A-C cable.

This applies only to Pixels, though - the 6P and 5x would still charge using these accessories at 1.5a only.

The Apple link you gave seems to have the right charger.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

LastInLine posted:

I haven't seen that in years. Are you in America?

Nope, EU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

MC Hawking posted:

I snagged one of amazon warehouse but I'm gonna be steamed if it doesn't have a notification LED. Freaking love notification LEDs and wish stuff like the disco trackball from the N1 would make a comeback. Then again I still want a physical keyboard so I might be stuck in the past.

It doesn't have an LED, but it has a version of the active display from the Moto X - you take the phone out of your pocket and it shows you like a sub-lock screen with icons for whatever notifications you have, and you can touch them to see the notification. It's not as good as the version on the X, in that it's harder to trigger and lights up the whole screen instead of just parts needed, but still nice.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Reading so much reports about the 5X boot looping again, makes me anxious about mine. Trying to sit it out until the XL 2.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My replacement 5x rebooted itself in the car while it was doing nothing. Woop. I'm leaving on a three day work trip and am going to bring my backup phone with me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I had my replacement 5x for less than 3 months before it randomly shut off and never turned back on again. Still figuring out what I am going to do, but using my N5 until October is looking like a better and better idea. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Blue Train posted:

The g5s offerings are newer and I think offer a slight cpu and camera improvement over the g5 so I guess it depends if you want to spend presumably more for a slight spec bump

actually here is a comparison http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/140313-motorola-moto-g5-vs-g5-plus-vs-g5s-vs-g5s-plus-what-are-all-these-moto-phones

Thanks for that. It makes interesting reading.

Not least because the G5sPlus is double the price of the G5, yet (for me) doesn't offer much of an upgrade in terms of features (the camera is nice, but the Canon/Panasonic I carry with me will blow any phone camera away)

Ola posted:

If you find out, please let me know. It's such a dumb feature, someone has just decided that a certain volume setting on a certain port is loud, with no consideration for how loud the connected device is actually playing.. It doesn't trigger on bluetooth headsets so you can kill your hearing there, but it does trigger on mini speakers that are hard to drive so max volume is barely useful while "safe" volume is completely inaudible. Idiots.

It's an EU legal requirement to have limiters on sound volume for devices with earphones. If you can't find a hack to disable it, setting your phone's location to somewhere non-EU will remove it.
However, I am sure that will screw something else up (maybe Play store)