Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

lezard_valeth posted:

As others have said, Joramun's Horn is supposed to bring down the Wall by "awaking giants from the earth"

On the fan theories surrounding the Horn:

- The "awake giants from the earth" is interpreted as either awakening actual earth giants, awakening a dormant ice dragon within the wall, or cause an earthquake like the one that created the Stepstones.

- Two horns have appeared in the books. Euron's horn "Dragonbinder" and the horn Jon finds in the Fist of the First Men that he later gives to Sam.

- Dragonbinder has been shown to have some magical properties since it burned the lungs of the man who blew it, and supposedly it's used to bind the will of a dragon to whoever blows the horn. It is improbable that this turns out to be the Horn of Joramun. The more likely purpose of this horn is for Dany/Jon/secret Targaryen to blow it and since they are immune to getting burned (when the plot remembers/wants them not to) they can control a dragon this way, since in the books they are mostly untamed still.

- Sam's horn is the one most likely to be the Horn of Joramun. However, it has yet not been used at all and Sam is currently on the other side of the world in the Citadel, so unless the horn's magic is coded to just gently caress the world no matter where you blow it, it can also potentially turn out to be a red herring and the actual Horn has yet to be found.

Didn't he travel to meet Bran at Winterfell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

precision posted:

that's exactly what happened

goons bad at watching TV, film @ 11

Sansa: Hey, I just realized that Littlefinger is playing us and trying to get me to execute you!

Arya: wtf, let's arrest him.

Sansa: wait I have a better idea. Let's not arrest him but instead have him watch while I pretend to pass sentence on you but I'll do a sick switcharoo.

Arya: wtf, what's the point of that?

Sansa: the audience will dig it

Ash.W
Aug 2, 2004

bonk bonk

regulargonzalez posted:

Sansa: Hey, I just realized that Littlefinger is playing us and trying to get me to execute you!

Arya: wtf, let's arrest him.

Sansa: wait I have a better idea. Let's not arrest him but instead have him watch while I pretend to pass sentence on you but I'll do a sick switcharoo.

Arya: wtf, what's the point of that?

Sansa: the audience will dig it

Well it's easy enough to argue that LF would have fled if he was suspicious or worried at all, hence the made-for-TV switcharoo. It also played out better for the rest of the lords, I guess

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yeah the people in that room were like DAAAAAAMN

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Littlefinger spent his whole life talking his way through of rooms full of people who wanted him dead. He probably figured this would be more of the same up until the point Brann starts talking. The cuts between them as it sinks in that this kid's magical wizard powers aren't bullshit were quite good. They also needed the reveal to be public, to keep the Knight of the Vale in the fold. Yohn Royce hated LF, but he would need something a little stronger than Sansa's word on the matter before killing him.

It was definitely played up for the sake of the viewers, but there was a solid narrative backing to justify the spectacle.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Skippy McPants posted:

Littlefinger spent his whole life talking his way through of rooms full of people who wanted him dead. He probably figured this would be more of the same up until the point Brann starts talking. The cuts between them as it sinks in that this kid's magical wizard powers aren't bullshit were quite good. They also needed the reveal to be public, to keep the Knight of the Vale in the fold. Yohn Royce hated LF, but he would need something a little stronger than Sansa's word on the matter before killing him.

It was definitely played up for the sake of the viewers, but there was a solid narrative backing to justify the spectacle.

"Yea my brother totally backs me up on this! Off with his head!" :downs:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

Littlefinger spent his whole life talking his way through of rooms full of people who wanted him dead.

Not really, he wouldn't have climbed so high up the ladder by antagonizing everyone. He's good at what he does and has most people fooled. I think the only ones who really get mad at him are the Vale Lords after he pulls that very blatant "marry Lysa and then kill her" move. And he still managed to talk his way out of that one.

Then again the show gave us Littlefinger scenes like "play with her arse" and that one time he antagonized Cersei for literally no reason, so maybe show LF just sucked all along.

Elman fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 29, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

"Yea my brother totally backs me up on this! Off with his head!" :downs:

I said a little stronger, not a lot. Remember that before heading north Littlefinger came close to having Robin Arryn execute Royce. There's no love lost there, and the Starks rattling off a list of till now hidden crimes—not least of which is LF murdering the forming Lord of the Vale, Jon Arryn—helps endear them to Royce and ensure that the Knight of the Vale won't ride back home the moment Littlefinger finishes bleeding out.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Given littlefinger's "fight every war" speech earlier this season and his later scene with Bran where he realizes that Bran is the finished product, the guy who simply can't be surprised, you'd expect him to realize that he can't possibly pull off any stunts at Winterfell, that this is the end of the line as far as scheming and manipulating the starks is concerned. Guess not.

But this is GoT so we need Baelish to bumble like a fool and then die in a violent and 'satisfying' manner rather than just a shot of him looking forlornly at Winterfell and loving out of the story.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Elman posted:

Not really, he wouldn't have climbed so high up the ladder by antagonizing everyone.

He didn't go out of his way to antagonize people, but pretty much everyone would be happier if he was dead because they all knew that he plotted against everyone equally. Staying alive was a matter of ensuring that he always had enough power and alliances to make killing him too much trouble. Unfortunately, he was thinking with his dick when he sided with Sansa, and that left him surrounded by people whose greatest mutual interest was to see him dead.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
I just realized the last scene of ep 8 is almost the same as the wotlk cinematic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCr7y4SLhck

You got icey valley. Lots of zombies. Dragon flying down the valley. I'm not implying that's where they got the idea but gently caress it reminded me of that so much.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Given littlefinger's "fight every war" speech earlier this season and his later scene with Bran where he realizes that Bran is the finished product, the guy who simply can't be surprised, you'd expect him to realize that he can't possibly pull off any stunts at Winterfell, that this is the end of the line as far as scheming and manipulating the starks is concerned. Guess not.

They only had one interaction before the trial, and Bran's sight didn't come up. They do have this exchange, though, when Baelish gives him the dagger:

quote:

Bran: Do you know who this belonged to?

Littlefinger: No. That very question was what started the War of the Five Kings. In a way, that dagger made you what you are today....

Baelish may have heard some rumors about Bran's power, but he doesn't really have cause to believe in them nor know their full extent until it's too late.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Aug 29, 2017

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Skippy McPants posted:

They only had one interaction before the trial, and Bran's sight didn't come up. They do have this exchange, though, when Baelish gives him the dagger:

Baelish may have heard some rumors about Bran's power, but he doesn't really have cause to believe in them nor know their full extent until it's too late.

its really cool that the dude who talks about knowing everything doesn't know a thing about the literal time vision wizard who should technically be the king of winterfell and the north right now

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
I'm not sure why Jon would have a better claim to the iron throne than Daenerys. Danny's father was king, so wouldn't that make her next in line? Sure, Jon is a legit male heir, but his father was brother to the king.

Monarchy. How does it work?

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Son of the heir > sister of the heir

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Show-Littlefinger isn't actually that good at the game. When nobody knows he's playing it, sure, he climbs well. The second he starts declaring his intentions openly by killing Lysa, selling Sansa to the Boltons, admitting he wants Sansa with him on the Iron throne, things start to go wrong for him; because loyalty bought or obtained by scheming is nothing like loyalty earned by one's ancestors or one's own deeds.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Secx posted:

I'm not sure why Jon would have a better claim to the iron throne than Daenerys. Danny's father was king, so wouldn't that make her next in line? Sure, Jon is a legit male heir, but his father was brother to the king.

A lot of systems for hereditary succession only allow female heirs if there are no males heirs left alive.

Abner Assington posted:

Son of the heir > sister of the heir

Also this. If we're following, say, English succession then the crown proceeds down the line of eldest progeny to the living heir even if some of the links in that chain are dead.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Aug 29, 2017

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Skippy McPants posted:

Bran gives him the "chaos is a ladder" call back.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Bran gives him the "chaos is a ladder" call back.

He does, but based on that single line, would you infer that you're talking to is a super-wizard or that his sister mentioned it to him.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Secx posted:

Primogeniture (children before siblings, frequently with a gender bias towards men) is the standard way of doing it in both the series and in reality.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Skippy McPants posted:

He does, but based on that single line, would you infer that you're talking to is a super-wizard or that his sister mentioned it to him.

He never said that line to Sansa though. If I were Littlefinger I would have gone to Royce and told him "let's go we are finished here" right that second - Sansa didn't listen to him anymore and Jon certainly did not, why stay there?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Secx posted:

Jon's father was King Aerys' son Rhaegar, not his brother (Aerys didn't have any brothers that I know of). Rhaegar was the heir to the throne, and HIS heir was his son Aegon (technically he had two sons called Aegon but it works equally for either of them), with Viserys being next in line after that. Daenerys and Aegon's sister wouldn't get a claim because Targaryens don't traditionally allow ruling queens. Jon is the only male descendant in the male line of the last Targaryen king.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Look, the list of bullet points that GRRM gave them said Littlefinger had to die.

So he did.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Secx posted:

Sure, Jon is a legit male heir, but his father was brother to the king.

E:f,b

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

He never said that line to Sansa though. If I were Littlefinger I would have gone to Royce and told him "let's go we are finished here" right that second - Sansa didn't listen to him anymore and Jon certainly did not, why stay there?

Oh, you're right, he said it to Varys. I thought came from one of his many lectures to Sansa. So, yeah, that should have given him at least some doubts. As for why he didn't pack up and leave, I'd refer back to 'thinking with his dick'. Baelish was obsessed with the Iron Throne and Stark women, and he thought he was close to getting the latter of those two.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Littlefinger appeared to be a lot less aware of Bran's abilities than the various Stark bannermen and their retainers, all of whom pretty much went along with what magic boy said without batting an eyelid.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm a little disappointed Littlefinger and Varys didn't get to talk once more before he died

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://youtube.com/watch?v=XeYNHwRswYU

This Season was a lot of fun and that ending was gorgeously done

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Vegetable posted:

I'm a little disappointed Littlefinger and Varys didn't get to talk once more before he died

I'm sad that Varys didn't get to talk hardly at all this season. His one interaction with Danny was good, but aside from that, all he got was a couple of filler lines.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
LF was always going to get murdered in the north, northmen are blunt, honest, and a bit thick. A scheming city boy "not from round here" used to playing people off each other Is going to be instinctively hated, and got rid of in some way or another with the slimmest of excuses. Even Kat Stark said it took them years to accept her and she was married to one of their own.

Not that different to the north of England tbh. We moved to the northern countryside when I was three and nearly 35 years later my parents are still considered outsiders, and are really not liked by the more inbred members of the community because they go back to Australia in the winter.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Getting amused by all the actor and director commentary about Dany + Jon going all 'Oh, this isn't good! They're related!' as if I'm expected to believe Westeros, let alone Targaryans, would give a poo poo. If any tragedy happens in this romance, I doubt it'll be because of incest.

Side note- I''m glad LF finally got his due, but it felt a little unceremonious after 7 seasons. He had a lot of irons in the fire... And for whatever reason I didn't find it quite as satisfying as I wanted it to be? Can't even say why. Maybe I wanted him drawn and quartered after being called out by literally every named character in Westeros that he wronged? I don't know.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 29, 2017

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I guess maybe since he came back Bran took each Northman aside and told them about times they'd hosed, so they all knew the deal.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

JVNO posted:

Getting amused by all the actor and director commentary about Dany + Jon going all 'Oh, this isn't good! They're related!' as if I'm expected to believe Westeros, let alone Targaryans, would give a poo poo. If any tragedy happens in this romance, I doubt it'll be because of incest.

Incest isn't good and cool in Westeros, most people and the church think it is hosed up and scandalous. The Targaryens kept it up as a royal tradition, but any other noble would invite opprobrium by having a relationship as close as aunt and nephew. Dany probably isn't going to care because she spent her whole childhood thinking she was going to grow up to marry her brother, but I could see Jon being at least somewhat upset about it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Tywin married his first cousin, but I can't remember whether that was perceived as shocking or not.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Tywin married his first cousin, but I can't remember whether that was perceived as shocking or not.

I don't recall anyone being shocked by it, that seems about as close as aristocratic mores will allow for non-Targs.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

GaussianCopula posted:

He wanted to climb Mt. Sansa.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I wouldn't think so. Ned's parents were cousins too.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Certainly explains why all their kids are idiots.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

skasion posted:

I don't recall anyone being shocked by it, that seems about as close as aristocratic mores will allow for non-Targs.

World history shows us that the incest taboos don't really hold up for the ruling class beyond immediate family. When long distance travel is hard, and the upper crust make up such a small percentage of the population, it's not long before first and second cousins are the only prospects left.

Edit: And marrying below one's station? Horrid. A King would rather wed his daughter to a nephew than suffer the shame of giving her away to some lowly Count.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Solice Kirsk posted:

He wanted to climb Mt. Sansa.

"My Lady Sansa, we must urgently travel to the Vale together. Lord Robyn is not well and demands that his knights come back - it will need you gentle touch persuade him to fight in the North."

There. Done.

Or just accept that Arya and Sansa are going to be sisters and don't hate each other, be a good supporter of Sansa's rule in the North, make yourself indispensable and while you at it, poison Bran asap, given that he is a cripple his death will be easy to explain.

• Locked thread