Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Schubalts posted:

Got reminded about brake lines getting cut in movies/tv. Why does nobody just take their foot off the gas pedal? It's like media characters are programmed to always have one pedal slammed to the floor, and since the brakes don't work guess it's gotta be the gas pedal! They careen for miles going top speed, when a car would slow way the hell down after just blocks of not having the gas pressed.

Not disagreeing with you at all.
I was driving a car when the brake cable slipped off the pedal just as I started going down a long hill.
(Thanks Isuzu for your lovely craftsmanship)
It was the scariest thing I had experienced and only managed to not cause a wreck by getting VERY lucky when I made an emergency turn into a side street that was both empty and had and upwards grade.

I bet there was a better way to handle it but when you're 19 and in the moment, holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Also what about the handbrake?

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

Schubalts posted:

Got reminded about brake lines getting cut in movies/tv. Why does nobody just take their foot off the gas pedal? It's like media characters are programmed to always have one pedal slammed to the floor, and since the brakes don't work guess it's gotta be the gas pedal! They careen for miles going top speed, when a car would slow way the hell down after just blocks of not having the gas pressed.

There was an episode of the Dean Cain Superman series when Jimmy was in a car where the brakes were out and superman just said look why not do this - and took the keys out of the ignition.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Pretty much any method of car sabotage. Cars are, like, *really* safe nowadays. Air bags, belts, crumple zones, there's pretty much nothing you can do to a car that won't be readily apparent and stands a reasonably reliable chance of killing someone, short of just putting a big bomb under it and blowing it up.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Pretty much any method of car sabotage. Cars are, like, *really* safe nowadays. Air bags, belts, crumple zones, there's pretty much nothing you can do to a car that won't be readily apparent and stands a reasonably reliable chance of killing someone, short of just putting a big bomb under it and blowing it up.

You could load the air bags with shrapnel and high explosives

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Tunicate posted:

You could load the air bags with shrapnel and high explosives

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alhazred posted:

The fact that there is a product called Fox Away in Zootopia is profoundly hosed up. It's like if someone launched African-American Away in the real world.

Yeah, this is as close as we've gotten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6CdI3-EXo0

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
In Genisys, they evil bad guy cuts the brakes on the bus they are driving, but the way big vehicle air brakes work is that the air pressure keeps the brake off. If you cut the line or break the brake somehow to vent the pressure, it slams down to stop the vehicle.

There's WAY more wrong in the movie, but that part always bugs me.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

In Genisys, they evil bad guy cuts the brakes on the bus they are driving, but the way big vehicle air brakes work is that the air pressure keeps the brake off. If you cut the line or break the brake somehow to vent the pressure, it slams down to stop the vehicle.

There's WAY more wrong in the movie, but that part always bugs me.

Having already made this point I kinda want to go back and watch it.

I have all the Rifftrax cuts that go with T3 and Salvation but I feel like I need to suffer through Genisys without Mike or Kevin or Bill.

But I get airbrakes and why they do good for safety.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

theironjef posted:

The movie basically tells you that predators stopped eating prey like within the past few hundred years. There was even a weird cut scene where there's a bear mitzvah (hah) accompanied by the young bear getting his predator shock collar so he won't maul any classmates by accidental instinct.

I mean there's only been a few hundred years since Genghis Kahn but that doesn't mean that we should have a "Mongolian Away" spray.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Phanatic posted:

You could hack it.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Alhazred posted:

I mean there's only been a few hundred years since Genghis Kahn but that doesn't mean that we should have a "Mongolian Away" spray.

Speak for yourself

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Alhazred posted:

Mongolians didn't spend the previous thousands of years of human history predating on other humans though.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MariusLecter posted:

Mongolians didn't spend the previous thousands of years of human history predating on other humans though.

As I understand it they stole coats.

Vast amounts of coats

So many they ended up not being to wear them all at once

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Phanatic posted:

When you cut someones brake lines they feel an irresistible urge to drive along a small mountain road. Its just a thing that happens to people.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

MariusLecter posted:

Even if we made a White-Away it still wouldn't be cool

edit: actually... :thunk:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Even if we made a White-Away it still wouldn't be cool

edit: actually... :thunk:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

donquixotic posted:

There was an episode of the Dean Cain Superman series when Jimmy was in a car where the brakes were out and superman just said look why not do this - and took the keys out of the ignition.

So now you're in a car with no brakes and no steering?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I assume you're assuming the car has power steering?

Makes me wonder about real life cases of brakes going out. Usually if it's a mechanical failure it's the kind of thing that happens at speed because that's when the brakes are under the most stress, right? (I don't know anything about cars)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I don't know what cars you've driven, but ignition keys generally have three settings: off, which is off; on, which is on; and accessory, which won't let the engine keep running but keeps electrical power on. Even if you lose power to the power steering pump when the engine turns off, it's entirely possible to steer the car, especially at highway speeds. Power steering is mainly a convenience for low speeds, it's not a necessity and it's perfectly possible to steer without it.

Alhazred posted:

You could hack it.

Yeah, that's probably the modern equivalent of cutting the brake line or something. But seat-belt tensioners are mechanical devices, and you can't hack a crumple zone. The issue isn't just causing a wreck, it's causing a wreck that will reliably kill the occupant.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

A few years ago I was doing about 90mph on the motorway and something in the motor came loose, fired itself through the engine block and out of the bottom, loving everything in the process. The upshot was that I suddenly lacked power steering and the brakes became super stiff. I just pulled across to the hard shoulder and rolled to a stop, then applied the handbrake. So yeah, unless there is an obstacle/downwards slope immediately ahead of you and/or the throttle gets stuck open, losing your brakes isn't a death sentence.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

Yeah, that's probably the modern equivalent of cutting the brake line or something. But seat-belt tensioners are mechanical devices, and you can't hack a crumple zone. The issue isn't just causing a wreck, it's causing a wreck that will reliably kill the occupant.

I've been to dozens of car accidents as an EMT, and the only fatality I've seen has been when a 70something VW beetle hit a 70something pickup truck. You can be in an accident that rips the front off a modern car and be fine. The last serious injuries I had were in a rollover where an idiot had their foot on the dash (resulting in the airbag breaking their femur) and two unseat belted idiots in the back.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I've been to dozens of car accidents as an EMT, and the only fatality I've seen has been when a 70something VW beetle hit a 70something pickup truck. You can be in an accident that rips the front off a modern car and be fine. The last serious injuries I had were in a rollover where an idiot had their foot on the dash (resulting in the airbag breaking their femur) and two unseat belted idiots in the back.

If you movie-hacked a car and had complete control over it, I'd think the two most reliable ways of killing someone would be to to wait until they're on the highway and steer it head-on into opposing traffic (road permitting) or a bridge, or getting in front of a tractor trailer and slamming on the brakes.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I can get into the myriad rational things I hated about Alien: Covenant, but I'll just mention the irrational one:
A character says he's going to go take a leak (god what a tired cliche) but all he does is sit down and have a cigarette. Now I'm imagining Ridley Scott originally wanted to have the spore go up the guy's dick.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

I can get into the myriad rational things I hated about Alien: Covenant, but I'll just mention the irrational one:
A character says he's going to go take a leak (god what a tired cliche) but all he does is sit down and have a cigarette. Now I'm imagining Ridley Scott originally wanted to have the spore go up the guy's dick.

He's making GBS threads

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I had an scary moment with brakes. I was driving a 54 Falcon and the breaks were sluggish. I was coming up to a stop light and had to slam them all the way to the floor and pump the poo poo out of them just to get the car to stop, and even then, it was much slower than it should have been.
Turns out, the brake fluid was maybe the original fluid or something because it was more like mud than a liquid and it didn't work that great for the hydraulics.
So, perhaps replacing the brake fluid with something else would be a better way to cause an accident than just cutting the line?

But, yeah, hacking the cars electronics is the new cutting the brake lines.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Fried Watermelon posted:

He's making GBS threads

That's not what taking a leak is either! Unless you ate something really bad.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

My IIMM is how the middle third of the film is just people sat around discussing the plot, bracketed by nonsensical death and murder on either side. If it was a sequel to Alien I'd be fine with it, but to take the xenomorph from some unknowable alien terror and make it a direct result of an android with daddy issues just cheapens the whole series.

The scene of David bio-nuking the engineers was awesome, and I wish Ridley had gone full Hieronymous Bosch and given us a film entirely of that.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

In the movie Cars, there's an Army Jeep character who is a veteran of World War 2.

What the gently caress did World War 2 look like in the Cars universe?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Now I want to see a movie where there's a car holocaust. Maybe have the Jerry Lewis stand-in do a film about a clown in a concentration camp.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Phanatic posted:

I don't know what cars you've driven, but ignition keys generally have three settings: off, which is off; on, which is on; and accessory, which won't let the engine keep running but keeps electrical power on. Even if you lose power to the power steering pump when the engine turns off, it's entirely possible to steer the car, especially at highway speeds. Power steering is mainly a convenience for low speeds, it's not a necessity and it's perfectly possible to steer without it.

It's not the lack of power steering, it's that most cars have a steering lock that will engage if you try to turn the wheel without the key in the ignition. It's an anti theft device and in some models it can engage even with the key in if you turn off the engine.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Do you slways inform your work collesgues exsctly what you plan to do in the toilet? About 40% of the time I don't know I need to take a poo poo until I get there

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Dude, you never went to take a piss and then felt a turd brewing?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

In the movie Cars, there's an Army Jeep character who is a veteran of World War 2.

What the gently caress did World War 2 look like in the Cars universe?

Cars is a sequel to Stephen King's Trucks.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

RagnarokAngel posted:

Cars is a sequel to Stephen King's Trucks.

Maximum Overdrive was a good movie.

Edit: that Steven King barely remembers making due to drugs.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

My IIMM is how the middle third of the film is just people sat around discussing the plot, bracketed by nonsensical death and murder on either side. If it was a sequel to Alien I'd be fine with it, but to take the xenomorph from some unknowable alien terror and make it a direct result of an android with daddy issues just cheapens the whole series.

The scene of David bio-nuking the engineers was awesome, and I wish Ridley had gone full Hieronymous Bosch and given us a film entirely of that.

The Alien prequels would work better as their own franchise. It's just some alien killing people because the universe is big and scary - we don't need to know its backstory and motivations. It's like taking Die Hard and explaining how Hans Gruber became a dick, why he chose Nakatomi Corp and where he met Gunther. Of course it would turn out that Mclanes and Gruber's dads actually had an epic fight 40 years ago that put Gruber on that track and then Nakatomi hosed up his moms pension plan or something. It doesn't matter. Bruce Willis is crawling around in the vents occasionally popping out to shoot and mock Germans. Done! All you need.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

jabby posted:

It's not the lack of power steering, it's that most cars have a steering lock that will engage if you try to turn the wheel without the key in the ignition. It's an anti theft device and in some models it can engage even with the key in if you turn off the engine.

Even in those models, it won't engage unless you turn the key to the "off" position. Turning it to the accessory condition will kill the engine but not enable the steering lock. Unless it's *really* broken.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Do you slways inform your work collesgues exsctly what you plan to do in the toilet? About 40% of the time I don't know I need to take a poo poo until I get there

My coworkers are okay with my saying "gonna go potty brb" or "gotta tinkle" but saying I gotta poo is over sharing. People are weird

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Len posted:

My coworkers are okay with my saying "gonna go potty brb" or "gotta tinkle" but saying I gotta poo is over sharing. People are weird

Why are your coworkers okay with you talking like a child?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Phanatic posted:

Even in those models, it won't engage unless you turn the key to the "off" position. Turning it to the accessory condition will kill the engine but not enable the steering lock. Unless it's *really* broken.

My father-in-law had a car in which you could remove the key from the ignition while the car was running and it would continue to run without issue.

Edit:

Ravenfood posted:

Why are your coworkers okay with you talking like a child?

:goonsay: