Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

goose willis posted:

I never purchased a "finecast" model before, but I only heard horrible things about them, what was so bad?

Supposedly the resin is junk - prone to bubbling etc. and especially when it was first released and they were trying to straight up cast resin out of old metal molds some of the details were rubbish. It's also very soft, like "I left my case in the car and came back to find my model had melted" soft.

Personally I've never had a problem with it, but I've bought very few models made from it so far.

On this note - are Ratlings in Finecast? The GW site still lists them as metal but it wouldn't surprise me to find that description hadn't been updated in a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
:eyepop:

Did they seriously sell that poo poo at normal GW prices too

I mean of course they would

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

HardCoil posted:

How do you structure such a list? I'm still trying to get my head around properly representing a fluffy GK/inq list.

Fluff wise I picture it as an anti-psyker force. Grey fax and my other Inquisitor requisitioned the forces to take on a large scale psyker infestation on some world that had seen battles between the Imperium and Chaos.

Wreckage from the battle is being animated by the Psykers, including animating the hull of a knight that had a hole blown through it, requiring the presence of the Questor Imperialis.

There's rumored to be a powerful psyker leading the forces, hence the Culexus Assassin.

The Talons of the Emperor were requisitioned due to their experience with taking on Psykers.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
As I've talked about earlier, I'm running the combat patrol tournament at the Renegade Open GT in Minneapolis in November. I've been doing a lot of playing of it and combat patrol has been a pretty fun way to do 40k in an hour.

Here's a link to the rules packet. I'd like to hear what goons think.
combat patrol

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

goose willis posted:

Yes, they do. They've transitioned to actual resin molds, (With a fuckload of venting because the models were sculpted to be spincast in metal). And the resin is still poo poo.

If you have even the slightest problem, contact customer service. They know it's poo poo, and they committed to sending out a replacement when I had an issue before I could get pictures up.

I don't give a gently caress about their business structure. They should have contracted out to forgeworld for the resin casting, or found one of the better recasters and hired their rear end, because recasters put out stuff way better than finecast and have experience porting models not meant for resin to the material.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Corrode posted:

On this note - are Ratlings in Finecast? The GW site still lists them as metal but it wouldn't surprise me to find that description hadn't been updated in a decade.

If it says they're metal they'll be metal. Goods have to be as advertised.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Corrode posted:

Supposedly the resin is junk - prone to bubbling etc. and especially when it was first released and they were trying to straight up cast resin out of old metal molds some of the details were rubbish. It's also very soft, like "I left my case in the car and came back to find my model had melted" soft.

Personally I've never had a problem with it, but I've bought very few models made from it so far.

oh it goes beyond "I left my case in the car and they melted" and into "I left them in the case and they warped from being up against the foam."

Also, you have to carve out major details in parts where there are triangles of excess resin covering areas between raised and lower parts of the model

and yeah, so much goddamn slippage

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

oh it goes beyond "I left my case in the car and they melted" and into "I left them in the case and they warped from being up against the foam."

Also, you have to carve out major details in parts where there are triangles of excess resin covering areas between raised and lower parts of the model

My old finecast tau commander would droop at the ankles just from sitting in an 80 degree room in the summer. It's a terrible material.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

If it says they're metal they'll be metal. Goods have to be as advertised.

Yeah I didn't immediately think of trade descriptions but you're right. Funny to think there's still some tiny range of models in metal. I might have to buy some before they disappear entirely.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

goose willis posted:

No no no no you silly goose.

They increased prices with Fine Cast.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Hi it's me the one person on earth that hates metal minis thanks for reading

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Star Man posted:

Same, but resin is worse.

Give me plastic everything forever.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Star Man posted:

I don't love metal but I'll take it over finecast

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Star Man posted:

I started playing in 5th, well after the majority of models were plastic. I'm the spoiled millennial.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Master Twig posted:

As I've talked about earlier, I'm running the combat patrol tournament at the Renegade Open GT in Minneapolis in November. I've been doing a lot of playing of it and combat patrol has been a pretty fun way to do 40k in an hour.

Here's a link to the rules packet. I'd like to hear what goons think.
combat patrol

I added a bunch of commentary on the following:

Corrode commented version

Some queried stuff and also some nitpicky grammar things - I think better writing improves the presentation significantly but I am a fussy bastard.

Star Man posted:

Metal chipping is insanely annoying and even the worst of fiddly plastics doesn't compare to trying to build some of of the large old metals where tiny joins held solid chunks of stuff like wings, but on the other hand metal has such a pleasing weight to it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Corrode posted:

Metal chipping is insanely annoying and even the worst of fiddly plastics doesn't compare to trying to build some of of the large old metals where tiny joins held solid chunks of stuff like wings, but on the other hand metal has such a pleasing weight to it.

It is nice that my Vulkan He'Stan has some mass to it but I still want to get a resin one sometime. I bought a Cypher model a year before his new plastic one came out and I can't for the life of me get his sword to stay attached with a pin or anything.

The only resin model I have that that was a royal pain in the rear end is my thunderfire cannon. I'm told that metal ones were the worst things ever to assemble. I would kill for a plastic one.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Star Man posted:

:same:
Always wanted Kasrkin or old Stormtroopers in plastic.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Star Man posted:

It is nice that my Vulkan He'Stan has some mass to it but I still want to get a resin one sometime. I bought a Cypher model a year before his new plastic one came out and I can't for the life of me get his sword to stay attached with a pin or anything.

The only resin model I have that that was a royal pain in the rear end is my thunderfire cannon. I'm told that metal ones were the worst things ever to assemble. I would kill for a plastic one.

I had a hell of a time with my metal Thunderfire until my friend (ex-GW staffer) and I looked at it together and he said "oh yeah, stop trying to put it together the way the kit thinks you should, pin it here instead" and it went together like a dream. Some top stuff from GW there.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I used to like metal minis but now that the new plastics are so amazing I want to do away with all of mine.

Come on GW, gimme some more goddamn Death Guard news today. I need my fix!

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Metal models actually cause me to break out in hives. Anyone bitches about a tricky plastic kit is invited to pin a metal LoTR Cave Troll together.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Is it the Hellcannon which due to mold slippage has literally never fit together? Then again Land Speeders were like trying to put halves of two different kits together for ages, so plastic isn't immune either.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Let's be fair, the Hellcannon never fit together flush, no matter the material.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would love more plastic, MULTI-PART kits, rather than the mono-pose, single load out bullshit they're pushing.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

TheChirurgeon posted:

I bitterly regret not getting a photo of the Finecast model I bought where the sprue frame ran straight through the side of a man's head like a comedy arrow.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Say you were going to live the dream and make a fury road inspired digga army. Counts as Orks being the obvious choice, what would you count cars as? They don't really match the size of anything.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Wartrakks?

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Star Man posted:

I'm with you. My preferences are Polystyrene > PVC/Urethane > Metal > Finecast, but the joke is on everyone because I won't buy anything not made of polystyrene anymore.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

SteelMentor posted:

Metal models actually cause me to break out in hives. Anyone bitches about a tricky plastic kit is invited to pin a metal LoTR Cave Troll together.

Let me tell you a tale, entitled "The metal WHFB Gnoblar Scraplauncher can only be assembled in a dimension far beyond ours".

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

SteelMentor posted:

I didn't know that I was traumatized until I read this and the flashbacks started.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
The heft of metal models is a very important part of the experience to me. Plastic has ease of assembly and good detail, but they just feel cheap and fake because of how light they are.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Irate Tree posted:

I would love more plastic, MULTI-PART kits, rather than the mono-pose, single load out bullshit they're pushing.

I stupidly clipped out all the legs on my Skitarii, stuck them on the bases, then had to play the guessing game of which torsos attached where. I ended up with two sets of legs which would not fit anything - 1 of them I managed to carve up a bit and he's in a slightly comical action stride, the other I had to borrow from the second Skitarii box and push the problem onto Corrode of the Future when he assembles the other 10. Coming from mostly assembling Tac Marines and Cadians, it was a bit of a fucker.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Let me tell you a tale, entitled "The metal WHFB Gnoblar Scraplauncher can only be assembled in a dimension far beyond ours".

lol that one was a classic. Warhammer as sculpted by MC Escher.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Metal LR Crusader bolters.

The horror, the horror.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

The heft of metal models is a very important part of the experience to me. Plastic has ease of assembly and good detail, but they just feel cheap and fake because of how light they are.

Because I got real fuckin' tired of wobbly models on rough terrain I started gluing pennies and tuppence to the bases of my models to lower their center of gravity, has a side effect of giving a nice but not excessive heft to them.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SpikeMcclane posted:

Say you were going to live the dream and make a fury road inspired digga army. Counts as Orks being the obvious choice, what would you count cars as? They don't really match the size of anything.

Wouldn't a car be about the size of a buggy or an old trukk?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm painting my way through some 90s fantasy figures and love metal. Because whoever had these before me would certainly have hosed up the plastic. I doubt plastic can take 20+ years of abuse, then come out of a stripping bath looking brand new.

A lot of what makes a figure great is playing to the strengths of the material. Plastic is better at some things, but not everything.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Artum posted:

Because I got real fuckin' tired of wobbly models on rough terrain I started gluing pennies and tuppence to the bases of my models to lower their center of gravity, has a side effect of giving a nice but not excessive heft to them.

Yeah, I've started doing this too, and it helps a whole lot, especially with models on uneven terrain.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
How do you build Inquisition / Sororitas command squads now? I see that acolytes, crusaders, hospitallers, etc all have their own entry under elites, do I just pay the points for them and smash as many as I want into a squad? In the case of the inquisitor, do I need to attach him to a squad then add acolytes or can I just build up a warband of him, acolytes and... whatever? Also, if that's the case, how do I tell (in battlescribe) what units can be attached to other units - I'm assuming all the ones composed of a single model can, but what about crusaders?

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

goose willis posted:

I never purchased a "finecast" model before, but I only heard horrible things about them, what was so bad?

As stated, it bubbles a ton and is exceptionally brittle. Frequently the bubbles will pop up on slim joints and limbs, making them impossible to connect unless you sculpt the joint yourself out of green stuff. If the mold slipped, gently caress it--thing's ruined. I have repaired a few FW models with GS and liquid GS, but with FC just gently caress it. I prefer having to fix flash and mold lines on metal models; that's how lovely """Fine"""cast is.

It melts at low temperatures, fiddly bits break right off worse than the most terrible plastic spikes on Dark Eldar, it's just miserable trash to work with when you're modeling. I landed a Deathleaper and Lictor at like a quarter price of new, then turned around and sold them and I'm just converting my own from Warriors & Carnifex parts.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Speaking of finecast, the new rumour image from GW looks like a close up of the face of the finecast necron dude I bought a few years ago:

warhammer community

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Giant Isopod posted:

How do you build Inquisition / Sororitas command squads now? I see that acolytes, crusaders, hospitallers, etc all have their own entry under elites, do I just pay the points for them and smash as many as I want into a squad? In the case of the inquisitor, do I need to attach him to a squad then add acolytes or can I just build up a warband of him, acolytes and... whatever? Also, if that's the case, how do I tell (in battlescribe) what units can be attached to other units - I'm assuming all the ones composed of a single model can, but what about crusaders?
They're all separate units now. Characters can't even join units anymore. They can only be shot if they're the closest target, however, so they still get some protection from being near other units.