Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Around this part of the game I was rolling with a party comp that relied heavily on Aspir and Drain

which has the opposite effect on undead enemies

I would not figure out that mechanic until my party was almost dead and wondering how these skeletons were hitting so hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Blademaster_Aio posted:

It's a great job that we get from this asterisk.

which is why they removed it in Bravely Second. the in lore reason is very sound, but the main reason is salve-maker is horribly OP.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, this chapter in particular has some of the best jobs of the game... though a couple are more notable for how well their skillset supports other jobs, rather than standing out on their own merits.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
It kinda seems to me that that conversation between Kamiizumi and Qada seems like it should have happened 4 years ago. It's only really happening now for the benefit of the party.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It kinda seems to me that that conversation between Kamiizumi and Qada seems like it should have happened 4 years ago. It's only really happening now for the benefit of the party.

I guessing it's because he just now finished cleaning it up, and has no remorse what so ever about it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Yeah, it's kind of a narrative cheat, but the fact that Qada still sees his actions as a resounding success even after all of this time is indicative of just how being made to cleanse the area has done little to give him a fresh mindset.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, nobody's going to come down on the side of the guy who pulls The Kefka Maneuver.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Let's Learn Jobs: Pirate

Need to blow a man down, or cleave a monster in two? Bring in the pirate crew. They hit with a power at odds with their cutie pie outfits (as usual, shown below).

Pirate is a successor to FF3's Viking, the main difference being that Vikings have more in the way of defense while Pirates have more offense and speed. Pirate also incorporates a watered down version of the FF Berserker's signature ability.

The job icons are often hats. To be fair, they are decent hats. Job Command icon is an anchor, the symbolic amount of force the Pirate will throw upon your opponents in a single hit.

According to Bravely Default, pirates are idiots. Also, they've taken all their points out of dex and dumped them into str. They are unable to comprehend sophisticated weaponry like katanas, bows, and anything magic-related.

Anyway, hit things good with axe (or possibly sword), no use brain. Might want to throw on an accessory or ability to boost accuracy.

Blue are support abilities, red are skill abilities.

Level 1 - Double Damage: Attack dealing 200% damage. (1/4 total MP)
Level 2 - Provoke: Greatly increase chance of being targeted by opponents.
Level 3 - Shell Split: Attack which reduces target's physical defense by 25% for 4 turns. (9 MP)
Level 4 - Scale Strip: Attack which reduces target's magic defense by 25% for 4 turns. (9 MP)
Level 5 - Shin Smash: Attack which reduces target's speed by 25% for 4 turns. (9 MP)
Level 6 - Mass Attack: When user attacks, HP critical party members perform an attack too. (1 BP)
Level 7 - Berserk: Physical attack raises 50% and user does nothing but attack for next six turns.
Level 8 - Adrenaline Rush: Allows other jobs to equip the Pirate specialty. (Cost: 2)
Level 9 - Physical Attack 20% Up (Cost: 2)
Level 10 - Defang: Attack which reduces target's physical attack by 25% for 4 turns. (9 MP)
Level 11 - Skull Bash: Attack which reduces target's magic attack by 25% for 4 turns. (9 MP)
Level 12 - Axe Lore: Allows other jobs to have S-proficiency with axes. (Cost: 1)
Level 13 - Torrent: Deal up to 16 physical water attacks, each doing 30% damage, on a target. (2 BP)
Level 14 - Amped Strike: Attack dealing 400% damage. (1/2 total MP)

The highlight of pirate is having the widest range of debuffs available. But if you just want the most straightforward, simple physical damage possible, Amped Strike is there for you, at least until you blow through your MP.

This is possibly a nice bonus for a strategy involving putting your characters in HP critical regularly, but it still may not justify using up two slots.

Our game's version of piracy is based on the Golden Age of Piracy, which took place in the 1600-1700s and was popularized in the modern age by Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, as well as other works ranging from Treasure Island to Monkey Island. The gear is rooted in 17th/18th century British fashion, with the focal point being stylized tricorne hats and coats based off those worn by Britain's Royal Navy, worn open with no shirt because manliness for the men or tailored jackets with practical petticoats for the women.

The job's drop in accuracy is explained by the addition of cosmetic eyepatches decorated with cute skulls for the men and hearts for the women. For the finishing touch, a Sanrio-esque, in-love, eye-patch-wearing version of the infamous pirate emblem Jolly Roger is displayed on the women's hats.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Agnes looks nice in her pirate outfit.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Fun fact, Double Damage and Amped Strike actually had a set MP cost in the original release of the game. 18 MP for Double Strike and 99 MP for Amped Strike. I'm pretty sure you can see why those got nerfed to always eat up a specific amount of a party member's MP pool.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

18 MP? When you can do four attacks per turn? Yikes.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Agnes looks nice in her pirate outfit.

To be fair, she looks good in all the costumes.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

cdyoung posted:

To be fair, she looks good in all the costumes.
Rebuttal: Ranger looks ridiculous no matter who's wearing it. And thank the Crystals for that; we definitely want to give this game's plot proper respect, right?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Commander Keene posted:

Rebuttal: Ranger looks ridiculous no matter who's wearing it. And thank the Crystals for that; we definitely want to give this game's plot proper respect, right?

This is true

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 52: The Power of Love

The final room of Grapp Keep is a dead end. Get it? Because of all the...

Nevermind.

The only thing of note is a dilapidated old set of shelves in the back with a single, incredibly shiny item on them.

Let's give it a poke.

:siren:*WEOOOONK* :siren: *WEOOOONK*:siren:

:siren:*WEOOOONK* :siren: *WEOOOONK*:siren:

An alarm? Watch out! We have company!

Time to meet Qada's "foolproof" security system:

Three mediocre midbosses.

Rocket Punch is a hard-hitting multi-attack, so three in a row can get bad.

Partway through their health they'll buff/debuff themselves.

Best to take them down quickly, before their damage gets to be too much.

Thanks to Qada's incompetence, this was no problem.

Good thing Kamiizumi didn't bother checking the security measures.

Alright, let's get this back to Commander Goodman.

One jog through enemy lines back to Eisen Bridge later:

This is what caused the toxic mist...? So it was not magic, but an alchemical concoction!

We are in your debt! I'll have our physicians start researching how to make a neutralizing agent!

Wait. Would you consider destroying that sample now...?

Agnès...

I understand the need for a cure for the poison, but I would like you to dispose of that sample.

Yes... I see... If there is no danger the toxic mist will be used again, then we have no need to neutralize it.

This assumes Qada wasn't lying about the sample being the only source, or that he can't just recreate it from scratch, or...

I do not have the resolve to say with full confidence that we could prevail without it.

Therefore I will gladly do as you ask, Wind Vestal. Let us throw this master sample into the lava.

As much as this is a moment of truth for Goodman, Qada doesn't seem like the type to just stop with the genocide. What if--

What's wrong!?

It's the enemy... They've launched a full-scale assault!

Oh no! The Swordbearers remembered how to use their cannons!

We may not be able to hold the line if they keep this up!

You seemed okay up to now, though. What happened?

They have begun using mythril ammunition.

About a year ago, the enemy captured the mythril mine we were working...

There was something in my journal about that, come to think of it. Let's see... Here it is.

"Mythril is a hard metal refined from mythril ore mined in Eisenberg. Over eighty percent of all mythril in the world is mined in Eisenberg, where it is said precious orichalcum has also been found."

Is this really the time to read encyclopedia entries?

"It can be used to produce weapons and armor of the highest strength, and it releases great energy when melted at high pressure."

We tried to recapture the mine, but the Swordbearers had put children to work down there...

Children?

Yes. I'm sure you've heard tales of canaries being taken into mines as an early warning for dangerous gases...

Well, the Swordbearers call the children they've abducted and forced into hard labor "canary boys."

Time to mark 'Child Slavery' on your Eternian Human Rights Violations bingo cards, which I assume you all have at this point.

*Morbid joke about the Swordbearers being the Shieldbearers now*

Using these canary boys to warn of danger... I cannot believe the Black Blades would stoop to such tactics.

It's despicable! We can't let them get away with it! We must do something to save the children!

What are we waiting for, then? Let's take back the mythril mine.

The mines are crawling with Swordbearer soldiers. It would be foolhardy to rush in without support!

You can refocus on taking the mine. We'll rescue the children they're using down there.

Goodman agrees to the plan.

We're not going to do the plan. Not for a little while. Instead, we're going to do something silly.

After showing the Shieldbearers under duress, we've opened one other way to aid them.

If we talk to Commander Goodman again...

we can grill him about whatever Tiz thinks up.

->The mercenaries

They have about four thousand soldiers stationed in these lands. They are split into at least five units that we know of.

The first is a unit led by the swordmaster, the commander of the Black Blades. They are powerful, elite troops.

Next is the unit that conquered the East City using toxic mist. We are very aware of the danger they represent. They have not been seen in recent years, which is cause for concern.

Then there is their naval force. They are rarely sighted in battle. But after the Temple of Fire was attacked, there were reports they made several attempts to approach it from the sea.

We also believe that the Black Blades has a covert unit specializing in assassination... Many Shieldbearer officers have been slain in the past four years. We think this unit was also responsible for killing the fire vestal.

Last of all, there is the unit led by someone I care not to mention...

Huh?

If you're around long enough, you'll learn all you need to know and more. Best to see for yourself.

Sounds like we're about to find out what really gets Goodman's knickers in a knot.

->Why this bridge?

Three roads run north to south across this land. One each to the east and west of here, and this one in between. The central road that this bridge is built upon is wider than the paths to the east and west, and it serves as our main thoroughfare. The colossal weaponry the Black Blades have given the Swordbearers is too large to be hauled down any other road.

I see! So the enemy was forced to target this bridge to make use of it?

Precisely. We made this bridge our last line of defense, and the main body of the Shieldbearers guards it. The Swordbearers need to cross the bridge, so they cannot attack it directly. This strategy results in the least casualties for our forces.

But even if you halt the advance of their main contingent, wouldn't it be easy for smaller units to slip past by other routes...?

Correct. Small squads we are not aware of present more danger than the vast army we face before us.

It's a good thing the Swordbearers are the equivalent of an SRPG on easy mode, or the Shieldbearers might actually have a problem.

One last question.

->What is that?

The enemy forces attacking the bridge.

Goodman, you're guarding one thing. Don't go forgetting about it.

Our intelligence suggests she is a high ranking member of the Black Blades.

That girl is one of their officers?

Don't underestimate her. She uses the power of song to bolster her soldiers, and weaken ours.

The power of song?

Yes. Her songs can be quite...troublesome. All of our soldiers that hear her sing become confused...

The Swordbearers bombard us from the opposite bank when they see us in disarray. We've suffered great losses from these attacks.

Songs that inspire allies and confuse the enemy... She must have quite a voice. I'd like to hear it myself sometime.

So it doesn't bother you that she's a foe? I hope her honeyed tones send you tumbling off the bridge.

So, if you silence this girl, would that swing the battle in your favor?

Unfortunately she is protected by a formidable force, and the narrow bridge makes it impossible to get close.

Then let us try.

The party nods in agreement, fully confident in their ability to be worth more than an army of trained soldiers.

A short while later on the Eisen Bridge:

I am Praline a la Mode. Prepare to be dazzled! Hey, everyone! When you hear one of my numbers...?

And when you see me dance...?

Then get wild! Here we go! Love in the Crossfire!

At this point, Praline begins singing. Someone can post a music link if they want to subject others to it.

The soldiers get riled up...

Uh-oh.

What a sweet voice... She's enchanting...

Don't listen to her! She'll mess with your head!

Edea's voice snaps Ringabel out of it.

As the party runs forward, the screen blacks out, leaving us with the sounds of heated battle.

Don't they feel any pain? Nothing seems to faze them!

Suddenly, the music stops. This isn't reassuring.

Okay, everybody! Time to back up a bit!

The time is nigh! To blow them sky high! Fire!

Uh oh! We need to pull back now, or we'll be obliterated!

After saving three countries from a wide variety of evil masterminds and violent opponents, the party has finally met its match: pop music.

If it is beyond even you, then we are out of options...

If only we could shut her up...

At this point we can choose to face Praline again.

...But the outcome will be the same.

Next: What better time for a world-spanning adventure of love and friendship?

--

Event Viewer
Main Scenario:
Stealing the Master Sample
Master Sample Obtained
The Swordbearers' Onslaught

Sub-Scenario:
Commander Goodman's Woes

D's Journal: Swordmaster Kamiizumi posted:

As we investigated Grapp Keep at the Shieldbearers' request, we overheard the swordmaster and Qada talking. We learned that the master sample of a toxic weapon was kept there, its use forbidden by the swordmaster. We also heard that Qada had used the toxin against the swordmaster's wishes, polluting the land for three years. We took the sample and headed back.

D's Journal: Praline, Diva of the Battlefield posted:

A 17-year-old girl from Florem. She goes by the name Praline a la Mode, and carries the performer asterisk. She is a battlefield diva, and tends to adlib her way through life without thinking too much.
--------------------------------
Dislikes: Boring people, fresh cream

D's Journal: Shieldbearer Cdr Daniel Goodman posted:

We headed to the Shieldbearers' command post to report on the toxic mist we had been asked to investigate. We gave the commander the toxic mist sample the Swordbearers had in storage, and he asked his medical team to use it to create a neutralizing agent. However, Agnès wanted it destroyed, and he complied with her wishes--perhaps a surprising choice for a military man.

D's Journal: Mythril Mines posted:

cont: It is said that young boys are being captured and forced to work at thet mine.

D's Journal: Never-Ending Civil War posted:

Canary Boys:
Forced to work in Swordbearer-occupied mines, these young boys are so named because they are used to detect poisonous gas before it can do harm to others, much like canaries in a coal mine. The Swordbearers are few in number, and have found these mostly docile young boys are easily controlled with just a few guards. They work in deplorable conditions, extracting mythril ore and the extremely rare metal orichalcum from deep within the earth.

Greyarc fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 29, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

gently caress this next sidequest. :argh:

There's also a funny "glitch" in regards to it if you put it off for too long. More on that later.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Greyarc posted:

Is this really the time to read encyclopedia entries?
If a guy can write poetry that later becomes a nation's anthem during a pitched cannon battle, I'm sure a little light reading is no problem.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, we've got a great assortment of asterisks to pilfer now. I imagine the chemist is going to stop us from chaos dunking his priceless sample into the volcano.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Praline is amazing and the best.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pureauthor posted:

Praline is amazing and the best.

Praline is pretty great.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Greyarc posted:

Then get wild! Here we go! Love in the Crossfire!

At this point, Praline begins singing. Someone can post a music link if they want to subject others to it.

What you mean this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD1ol2JAA8k

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Praline is bad, but more of a boring bad and less of a gently caress This Guy Into The Volcano bad that is Qada

we will get to him soon

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Am I the only one who thought calling the child POWs "canary boys" instantly killed whatever dramatic tension there was surrounding them?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Not really. In context, the implications were pretty horrific; basically, these children are sent into mine tunnels in advance of adults under the premise that their lower body mass would react faster to airborne toxins, contaminants, or depleted air. They were basically sacrificial lambs, and whatever ore they managed to carry out of the mine was an added bonus. Maybe knowing the fact that canaries were used in such a way in the real world previous to playing the game colored my perception, however.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I like updating the Bard class into a more contemporary look with the Performer class, but I still would've liked to have seen Praline dressed in a classic Final Fantasy Bard getup.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Regalingualius posted:

Am I the only one who thought calling the child POWs "canary boys" instantly killed whatever dramatic tension there was surrounding them?

As Commander Keene said if you know anything about Mine Canaries that line about using kids not only as shields but as 'Canary Boys' just makes the bad guys more :stare:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Patter Song posted:

I like updating the Bard class into a more contemporary look with the Performer class, but I still would've liked to have seen Praline dressed in a classic Final Fantasy Bard getup.

Yeah, Bard would be pretty neat. Ultimately, though, I think her class borrows more aesthetically from X-2's Songstress.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Is Praline the first minor we've killed? I guess we're branching out now.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

This is the best screenshot of the entire LP. :allears:

ultrafilter posted:

Artemia.

Of course, we haven't killed Praline.

Yet. :unsmigghh:

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 29, 2017

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Artemia. Also, Jackal, Thief guy, was 16.

Let's leave the conversations about the fate of asterisk holders we may or may not fight in the future at that for now.

Greyarc fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 29, 2017

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

ultrafilter posted:

Perhaps you weren't paying attention, but she handed the party's asses to them.
On another note, there's no way someone that tall is a minor.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

MightyPretenders posted:

On another note, there's no way someone that tall is a minor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml9-nJmOw4s

(He's 7'7" now that he's 17.)

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

I did a bit of searching and found someone had dropped both the English and Japanese versions from the game, which are vastly more...repetitive.
English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi56FtDcRcU
Japanese: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi56FtDcRcU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cyouni posted:

I did a bit of searching and found someone had dropped both the English and Japanese versions from the game, which are vastly more...repetitive.
English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi56FtDcRcU
Japanese: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi56FtDcRcU

You linked the japanese version twice. Here is the english version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onkOqG76UXc

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 53: The Bard's Trail

What can stand against the Swordbearer's most potent weapon yet?

Come to think of it, I heard about sirens once in a tavern on Grandship...

This is a pretty small breadcrumb to go off of, but the party'll take what they can get.

After a quick stop to buy more premium Eisenberg merch, it's off to Grandship.

What fortuitous timing!

I have. A strange voice you hear out at sea, right?

Sailors who hear the song become captivated by it, and throw themselves overboard. It's a common tale.

That's right. The siren's song causes all to cast themselves into the sea.

When I was even younger than you are now, there was a time it was heard throughout the whole ship...

It caused great panic among young and old. But a traveling bard who happened to be aboard said something that calmed everyone down.

He conducted us in song with his baton all night long, and the siren was defeated.

Wow, that's quite a story. Where did the bard go?

Who knows? He set off again soon after. One of the elders here might know.

There are a few older folk around the tavern.

We were so fearful for our lives, we couldn't sleep a wink. It was great fun.

We were blessed to learn songs from a person of such renown.

No go, but at least they remember him.

When I was young, he must have been about my age now... I doubt he still lives.

I remember him saying he was going to meet a pupil of his in Ancheim...

The hunt continues. To Ancheim!

Sadly, I fear he has crossed the Great Divide. When he knew he was not long for this world, he sought to visit three of his pupils one last time.

He passed on to me one of the secrets to his singing. His last words to me were, "Always sing with your mouth wide open."

The second pupil he visited? I believe they lived near the castle in Caldisla.

Off we go!

The nice thing about Caldisla is the free bed and breakfast.

Wait. Where's the innkeep?

The maid directs the party upstairs to the beds...

Ha ha. That's nice of you. My injury isn't that bad, though.

I'd been working non-stop, so I probably just overdid it. I'm not as young as I once was. If only my son were still alive...

Karl goes back to sleep, clearly exhausted. To us, Karl's son Owen may have been a side character, but for Karl, his son was everything.

The second pupil is outside.

Yes, I was his second pupil. When he came to see me, he looked fondly at my children, as if they were his own grandchildren.

Now they are all grown up, and I am an old woman...

Hm? You wish to know if I was given any instructions? I do remember him saying, "Sing from your belly."

He stayed with me a few weeks, then set off to visit his third pupil. They lived in Florem, the Land of Radiant Flowers.

Third time's the charm, maybe?

Before leaving, the party returns to the inn to get some sleep and check up on Karl.

We do still have access to the free inn.

Despite Karl's condition, he's still trying to help out as best he can.

On to Florem.

At the festival stage, we find this fellow.

Considering Florem's history, this is likely a subtle way of saying he is gay. Interesting detail, not that it matters to our mission.

In any case, my mentor visited two other pupils before coming to see me... He bestowed one of the secrets to his songs to each of us.

You wish to know what he told me? Well, this is embarrassing... He said, "Do not be shy when it comes to song." He always worried that I was too faint of heart.

I'll never forget the words he whispered to me when he left my side for the last time. "A singer has no need of finesse." He said he was heading to Hartschild as he left.

That's right -- all these weeks of travel, and we're heading right back to the continent where we started.

About half a year after he arrived here, he gathered us little ones up and taught us about music.

"Always sing with your mouth wide open"? "Sing from your belly"? "Do not be shy when it comes to song"? No, he never told us anything like that.

This is some wild goose chase we went on.

It's not just me. All the people of this town were his pupils, as were their children.

Even in the midst of this war, I bet you could convince the Shieldbearer soldiers to break into song.

When he died, we sent his belongings on to Grandship.

Hmm, an army of singing soldiers... sounds worth a trip back to Grandship.

The Proprietress holds out a stick.

I wonder if we could borrow it for a while.

Really? What for? I certainly don't mind, so take it. I doubt I'll ever get any use out of it.

Hey, there's something written on it. "The most important thing is to have fun," it says...

The amount of fun to be had remains to be seen, but a solution to our problem may be at hand. Time to fight fire with fire.

After explaining the situation to Goodman, the party once again walks out to the bridge...

We haven't come to hear you sing, if that's what you think.

Oh please, don't pretend you're not captivated by this voice of mine. Because we all know, when I sing...

Does her song use hypnotizing magic at all, or does she just have a garden-variety rabid idol fanbase?

Shut it! You won't get your way so easily!

My personal guard would gladly die for me. Isn't that right, darlings?

If there's anything the internet taught me, it's that the weaponization of a fandom is frighteningly potent. The Black Blades have just taken it a step more literal than usual.

Thank you all! Let's sing a little tune, then!

Oh, god, not agai--

Not so fast! Come on, Shieldbearers!

Edea swings around, whips out the bard's baton, and starts conducting the Shieldbearers. Praline's song is soon drowned out by an rousing rendition of Bravely Default's main theme (the regular instrumental version, unfortunately, not a bunch of soldiers singing).

I'll just have to sing louder!

Praline makes an attempt, but fails.

Time to blow you sky high!

Praline waves her hand, directing the Swordbearer cannons to fire.

*BOOM BOOM BOOM*

How's that?

No way! It's useless!

How did singing stop the cannonfire? Who knows, it's Bravely Default.

Note that her fans are still cheering for her. They're diehards, all right.

Grr! Kick the wind vestal and that other riff-raff out of here!

Looks like the Swordbearers are ready to get serious.

Praline comes with two Black Blade guards. Presumably her Swordbearer minions are cheering her on outside asterisk space.

Praline herself does not really attack.

Instead, she throws down buffs and gives extra turns to her teammates.

The Black Blades, in turn, harass the party.

Killing the Black Blades makes Praline summon more. It's good to be popular.

After taking down Praline, Agnès reduces the Black Blades to piles of red goo. Our vestal may still have some emotional issues to work through.

Oh look, Praline dropped her asterisk! Don't worry, Tiz will take good care of it.

Praline also dropped a few items, which share a common theme.

The last item, which was not new, was a star pendant.

Agnès also stole this during the fight. Strange item for Praline to have, but handy for us.

This fight was more odd than difficult. Anyway, good night, sweet Praline, rest in pea--

That does it... I'm going back to ordinary life...

I'm so sorry, everyone...

Remember way back, when it was surprising Tiz and co. killed their first asterisk bearers?

Surprise! Praline did not get violently murdered to death. How times have changed.

Who knows who else might survive?

We should suffer much less attrition on the Eisen Bridge from now on. You've done us a great service!

Wouldn't you know, Edea was a natural at conducting troops. And she did it without using psychopaths to commit genocide in foreign countries! Hear that, Edea's dad?

Next: Rescuing canaries in a coalmythril mine.

--

Event Viewer
Sub-Scenario:
The Siren's Song
A Friendly Visit
The Baton of Legend
With Baton in Hand
Back to Ordinary Life

D's Journal: Praline, Diva of the Battlefield posted:

On the trail of a legendary bard, we visited the pupils he had taught, who were scattered around the world. The Shieldbearer soldiers remembered the secrets to singing that Arca Pellar had left behind. They drowned out Praline's song with their chorus, defeating her. She discarded her microphone, saying she would return to being a normal girl.

D's Journal: Shieldbearer Cdr Daniel Goodman posted:

A chorus of Shieldbearer singers helped us repel battlefield diva Praline, who was causing chaos at the Eisen Bridge front line through her disruptive songs. Commander Goodman was elated at the news. Apparently they later had problems with soldiers who remained charmed, and others that broke into dance, cheered, or started moving in sync with enemy soldiers.

D's Journal: Arca Pellar posted:

(Legendary Bard)
Now deceased, he was a bard of renown from Grandship. Knowing his days were numbered, he passed on his secrets to pupils around the world. He spent his final days teaching Shieldbearer children in Eisenberg the joy of song. These teachings are still passed on today.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Greyarc posted:

Arca Pellar

I love this game. :allears:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Dear god those name puns
:bang:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I can't believe Praline isn't loving dead.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wonder what's standard procedure for handing in your two week's notice in the Eternian Army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I remember being shocked that Praline survived when I first saw this scene. I guess the developers liked her too much to give her the axe.

That being said, a sidequest where you travel the world while your airship is broken (THANKS, ALTERNIS :argh:) is really unappreciated.