Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Manatee Cannon posted:

this is how the last vita thread got gassed isn't it

Haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:females:

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, that was a misstep. There's a difference between something being formidable, and that same something merely shrugging off your every attack. If she was like Resident Evil's Nemesis it would be fine, but a foil to Nathan Drake probably isn't the antagonist for that kind of indestructibility. :v:

Nathan Drake himself is near indestructible.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

glam rock hamhock posted:

Do people have any idea what Mary Sue even means or do they just use it to describe any character they don't like at this point?

It's a thinly veiled author insert/shallowly "perfect" character, isn't it? Something you see in bad fiction. I think of that elf or whatever in Eragon or Dominic Deegan in, well, Dominic Deegan.

Or Rey from Star Wa--no no, sorry sorry please don't hit

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm 5 hours in to LL, just escaped the big flood in the giant elephant statue place.
Anyone know how much longer I have?
Or roughly how far I am percentage-wise?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It's a thinly veiled author insert/shallowly "perfect" character, isn't it? Something you see in bad fiction. I think of that elf or whatever in Eragon or Dominic Deegan in, well, Dominic Deegan.

Yeah pretty much, it's shorthand for a one-dimensional character who is perfect at everything he/she does and their one flaw is just being so goshdarn perfect all the time.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Morby posted:

Sure, and that's a very common criticism of him.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm 5 hours in to LL, just escaped the big flood in the giant elephant statue place.
Anyone know how much longer I have?
Or roughly how far I am percentage-wise?

75% maybe. IIRC there's one more major exploration area, one short transition area, and then the fairly long grand finale

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Like if you're calling Nadine a Mary Sue your basically saying that the writer was a tough as nails black paramilitary woman who is only driven by money and doesn't like dealing with bullshit. Like being an obvious self insert is a bigger part of being a Mary Sue than them being flawless (which Nadine also wasn't so whatever). Like no aspect of Nadine remotely fits with her being a Mary Sue.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Morby posted:

That is his worst attribute.

Nadine being the replacement for Nate in the pseudo-sequel feels particularly contemptuous of Nate overall. I'm not sure if it's intentional to be that way, but having the character who just kicked your rear end the whole previous game basically taking over the franchise along with the other side girl seems like it's making a statement of some kind, that statement being "Nathan Drake sucks". Which is...a weird way to try and extend the life of a finished franchise.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

8-Bit Scholar posted:

That is his worst attribute.

Nadine being the replacement for Nate in the pseudo-sequel feels particularly contemptuous of Nate overall. I'm not sure if it's intentional to be that way, but having the character who just kicked your rear end the whole previous game basically taking over the franchise along with the other side girl seems like it's making a statement of some kind, that statement being "Nathan Drake sucks". Which is...a weird way to try and extend the life of a finished franchise.

How does it say that? I'm genuinly not following your logic here.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey this is weird but if I've never played Uncharted is Lost Legacy a good place to get into the series mechanically? I don't care about the story like at all, but these games seem fun.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I think Naughty Dog's motivation for LL was that they wanted to make Uncharted an even more loving ripoff of Tomb Raider than it already was, and Chloe was the path of least resistance. I don't mind though because I love raidin' tombs.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I would like to clarify that the elbow drop and Nadine's response thereto was rad and I hope someone shoves a hornet's nest in notorious loving idiot 8-Bit Scholar's pants

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey this is weird but if I've never played Uncharted is Lost Legacy a good place to get into the series mechanically? I don't care about the story like at all, but these games seem fun.

Mechanically it's indistinguishable from the others, so yeah.

I haven't played 4 since it came out but I remember thinking that an antagonist against whom none of Nathan's usual tricks worked, including sucker punches, was refreshing. She's also not a megalomaniac which is a nice change of pace too.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 29, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
They get more polished as time goes on anyway. The first one is a slog nowadays, even if core gameplay hasn't undergone any huge changes over time.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Like if you're calling Nadine a Mary Sue your basically saying that the writer was a tough as nails black paramilitary woman who is only driven by money and doesn't like dealing with bullshit. Like being an obvious self insert is a bigger part of being a Mary Sue than them being flawless (which Nadine also wasn't so whatever). Like no aspect of Nadine remotely fits with her being a Mary Sue.

Mary Sue can doesn't solely refer to author inserts; it also refers to idealized and shallow perfect people, as previously stated. I'd call something like the "pixie dream girl" trope as another example of a Mary Sue; unrealistic caricatures of fantasies.

How does it say that? I'm genuinly not following your logic here.

I guess it'd be like if you're playing a Sonic game and they introduced Metal Sonic but you never beat him, he always kicked your rear end, and you beat the game despite that and then the next Sonic game stars Metal Sonic and Charmy the Bee or some poo poo.

If the purpose of Uncharted 4 was to be a crucible for Nate's character to finally mature (which it doesn't really do a good job of doing, since he never has to really take responsibility for his actions ever, he puts his whole marriage on the line and he's let off the hook for it) then the sequel starring one of the nails they stuck him with seems weirdly contemptuous.

Oxxidation posted:

I would like to clarify that the elbow drop and Nadine's response thereto was rad and I hope someone shoves a hornet's nest in notorious loving idiot 8-Bit Scholar's pants

I ain't said poo poo, I'm reporting straight reception facts: when U4 came out, people complained about Nadine being an unbeatable boss. Whether or not I or you liked that about her isn't really the topic, so cool your whip man. I am saying that it seems insulting to Nate and also some sort of statement by the story's author about...well, I guess I'd say it's supposed to be some grander statement on white male action heroes in media, being emasculated by a strong black woman who is then made a protagonist in a follow-up game. S'what it seems like, at least.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Bust Rodd posted:

I'd say only play LL if you want more Uncharted. You don't play these games just for the gameplay. That is secondary to the story/characters. The jumping around bits in LL are the same as in any other game but the set pieces are pretty good. The combat feels worse in this one than in the previous to me. I'm not sure what it is, but I really don't like the combat this time around. It just feels off.

I'd say get the collection and play through that. The jumping and combat are improved with each game (but basically the same) and you may end up really liking the story/characters, too. It's also cheaper than LL for 6x more content. Better content.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I ain't said poo poo, I'm reporting straight reception facts: when U4 came out, people complained about Nadine being an unbeatable boss. Whether or not I or you liked that about her isn't really the topic, so cool your whip man. I am saying that it seems insulting to Nate and also some sort of statement by the story's author about...well, I guess I'd say it's supposed to be some grander statement on white male action heroes in media, being emasculated by a strong black woman who is then made a protagonist in a follow-up game. S'what it seems like, at least.

lmao

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Manic Pixie Girl is a different trope though, not a different version of Mary Sue. You might as well call magical negro a Mary Sue which it certainly is not

Mary Sue is an author self insert. It is it's defining trait. The perfection part is just a sign of a really bad Mary Sue but it's not needed and thinking that is just part if people's effort to call any character they don't like a Mary Sue. Like Ethan from CAD is one if the ultimate examples of a Mary Sue and he was not idealized or perfect, it's just that everyone loved him. Like you can claim that author self insert isn't an important part of it but you'd actually just be wrong.

And once again Nadine isn't even perfect. She lets her greed allow her to get pushed around and makes a ton if very bad desicions that kill her men because she wants a Payday. She's also amoral and doesn't give a poo poo if she's doing the right thing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You're a freak.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Uncharted 4: By all accounts a pretty good game, but could have been improved by more scenes of Nate beating up a black woman.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A whole game of Nadine beating up Nathan would be good

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

exquisite tea posted:

Uncharted 4: By all accounts a pretty good game, but could have been improved by more scenes of Nate beating up a black woman.

Had he killed her it would have made LL better, at least.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also a game where you play Metal Sonic would rule

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Gotta go slow.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Had he killed her it would have made LL better, at least.

This take is so cold it's raw

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Mechanically? It's the most refined (if not polished; there were a few animation quirks here and there), and no one part really outstays its welcome (the open-ish world bit has a bunch of extra stuff that maybe adds an hour or so of random one-off puzzles, some extra combat and potentially a lot of extra driving around and getting kinda lost depending on the order of the side stuff you do things in, but that's literally just a single chapter). Since you don't care about the story, and the characters in this one were side characters from the previous games that make slight nods to the main characters but effectively are doing their own thing, it's probably the best place to jump in.

I'd say it probably has the best ratio of the three main pillars of the series - traversal, puzzle solving and combat - of any game in the series, likely owing to the game's length. There are some truly great setpiece moments, too, so you'll get a nice taste of what the rest of the series has been pulling off for the past decade or so, just in a more bite-sized form. I'd say go for it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It also has the most treasure and a way to actually find it for the most part.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
GUYS HOT SHOTS IS O GOOD

also picked up pillars of eternity probably won't get to it until December tho lol

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Vintersorg posted:

You're a freak.

I don't even know what you could possibly find objectionable in that post, but okay.

Sonic games that don't star Sonic have not had the best track records. Neither, really, have Sonic games that have starred Sonic so I guess that balances it out.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I don't even know what you could possibly find objectionable in that post, but okay.

Your posts

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Manatee Cannon posted:

this is how the last vita thread got gassed isn't it

That was Waltzing Along too lol.

He's cried about muscular women in at least three separate threads.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

And once again Nadine isn't even perfect. She lets her greed allow her to get pushed around and makes a ton if very bad desicions that kill her men because she wants a Payday. She's also amoral and doesn't give a poo poo if she's doing the right thing.

I mean, greed is basically the number one motivation of everyone in Uncharted and it's the crutch upon which all characters' are propped. The only character who has any "pure" motivation in the Uncharted games is Elena, who is initially drawn by the thrill of the adventure while everyone else is a jaded, cynical pirate/thief.

The thief angle is actually made more central in U2, since Nate ultimately decides that love is more valuable than treasure, whereas Chloe is more focused on pragmatic ends and means. Actually come to think about it, Uncharted 2 has Elena recovering from what should have been a fatal wound completely naturally and to no ill-effects. Why didn't Nate use the magic water to revive Elena before he destroyed it? How'd she survive being transported out of the Himalayas to a trauma center with the injuries she'd suffered?

Either way, Nadine has the same flaw as everybody else in Uncharted, but whereas guys like Eddie in U1 have moments where they break the mold and do something heroic, only to get brutally loving murdered for their character growth, Nadine seems to get off easy. In fact, Eddie makes a series of bad decisions that result in his men dying and he actually breaks away from the villains to save their lives and fights to rescue Nate and still gets horribly killed for it.

Uncharted's villains have pretty much always been really bad, though. I think Lazerovich was the only decent one and he was basically just a Bond villain.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

mycot posted:

That was Waltzing Along too lol.

He's cried about muscular women in at least three separate threads.

No I haven't. But you can continue to make things up if you want.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The recent Nadine physique stuff is creepy on the level of conspiracy webpages about studying the Williams sisters' bodies.

Waltzing Along posted:

you could just make them men and keep the dialog and they are the same characters.

This was good though! There was literally one line I can remember in the game where Nadine says something like "nice to be working with a woman for a change" that they even make a point of it, for once it was nice to not have the plot/dialogue beat you over the head about HEY WE'RE WOMEN every 2 seconds like people assumed as soon as it was announced and became nicknamed "Lady Uncharted". It was just an excuse to not trudge through a 5th game of 99% Nolan North. Glad ND didn't go all Super Princess Peach on it.

I wouldn't have minded LL being just UC4 instead though. UC4 was overly long and made me feel burned out on Uncharted, but LL was nice and relatively short, had some nice set-pieces but ended just when I was ready to.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm not saying her being greedy is unique, I'm just saying even if you're wrongly using perfection as a basis for calling her a Mary Sue, she still isn't perfect.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Everybody's Golf is really fun. It's just 'real' enough where you do have to genuinely plan out a good route to the hole/club choice/careful timing of your swing but also I can be a tiny horrible child in a bunny suit who has a complete freakout when they get one over par and does sick donuts in their golf kart. It's good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I'm not saying her being greedy is unique, I'm just saying even if you're wrongly using perfection as a basis for calling her a Mary Sue, she still isn't perfect.

Again, I'm just saying that she was called a Mary Sue. I'll grant she's not an author self-insert, but as a character she seems shallow in a lot of ways, so I dunno if there's a tropey term for that.