Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah I really don't know how this is going to go, it's a big experiment. I have no sense of how much people are digging into their faab dollars for this veteran auction. It's weird, I started playing around with the conditionals and even with only 5 groups max, it's possible to overestimate how much other owners are bidding and wind up maybe winning all five and blowing a ton of money if you're not careful. There's a handful of stars on the waiver wire that could bring in a lot of money! Or maybe not! I just... yeah, there's no advice for this, we're on our own.

I think once we see how this year goes, we'll have a better shot at figuring out if this was a bad idea.

This waiver period is going to be nuts. A few high price stars and all with their own problems, but Gronk sure as poo poo isn't worth 5x Kelce/Graham so he should in theory go for less than $20 especially with this deep TE draft class that should start producing by week 12.

People will probably bid horribly high on Marshawn, and Miller too because it's (almost) guaranteed points.

I don't know what to do with my waiver dollars. At all. Zero idea. I hope you all are dealing with the same problems I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK so section 7, "Voluntary Annual Veteran Free Agent Auction and Rookie Draft," has been extensively added to, based on our new auction and draft structure and the rules decisions we've made the last few pages. It's worth a read for all owners. Here's a link.

A key change is the three temporary bench slots we discussed.

You'll all recall that we've always had a rule on the books that you can draft directly to IR or taxi squad slots, thereby avoiding busting your cap if you had to count an IR or taxi player's salary. However, the interfaces we've used have never supported that.

So for this year's rookie draft, we decided to go ahead and add three temporary bench slots. The way this works is like this: just before (as in, hours before) the free agent draft, one of us will add 3 more bench slots to the total roster size. You'll be able to use these slots, in addition to any slots you already have free, when drafting rookies.

After the draft, but before anyone is allowed to drop or trade players, you'll have to clear at least those three slots. You can do that by moving three rookies to your taxi squad. But! Remember, rookies on the taxi squad are vulnerable to theft. That's the risk you take in exchange for the advantage of keeping their salaries out of your cap space.

After you make those taxi squad moves, your team has to clear the cap space! Remember, the only reason you have those slots is in recognition of your taxi squad... but if you go into the draft with very little cap space, and then draft a poo poo load of rookies, you may find it impossible to clear your cap space.

You will need to do some basic math. Look at your cap space. After removing up to three rookie salaries, you must not draft rookies with salaries that add up to more than your free cap space. Keep in mind that you also need to not have any IR violations. You may also not want to put your earliest taken, most valuable rookie(s) onto your taxi squad, lest they immediately get stolen!

There's no way for me or MFL to do this for you, so you have to keep track yourself.

In order to account for the possibility that someone fucks up, I wrote a rule. Rule 7.3.2.6.1 says:

quote:

See Escalating Costs and the Salary Cap for penalties for exceeding the salary cap. In this case, an owner will be obliged to drop just-drafted rookies to free agency in order to clear cap space, starting with their last-drafted rookie and working backwards until it is possible for them to clear the cap.

The normal ways an owner fucks up and busts their cap are by making a trade or making auction picks in FAAB that bring on board players with salaries that cause their cap to bust. The normal rule is that when you do that, we look at all of the players you just grabbed (e.g., in a single auction run, or in a single trade) and you have to dump the most expensive player(s) until you get back under cap. That makes sense in those cases because it's mildly punitive, and prevents the owner from using post-auction knowledge to their advantage. For example, if they bid on three players expecting to not win all three, but then did, they should not get to pick the least useful one to subsequently drop.

However in the case of the annual rookie draft, I don't think this approach works. If someone accidentally busts their cap, it's going to occur partway through the draft, at some point where they start taking more players than they should be able to. If we force them to drop their top draft pick, that is extremely punitive, and it dumps a probably really valuable rookie onto the auction market immediately, leading to probably an unfair advantage to whoever gets them at a good price.

I think it makes sense for the penalty to instead be "backing out" their last draft picks until they hit the point where they can get back under cap. It's not very punitive, but I really don't think anyone here is trying to cheat, and it has the lowest impact on the other teams (the players being dumped were available for some of the draft, during which owners passed them up, so hopefully they're not as valuable pieces being thrown onto the next auction).

Spermy, Teemu, you guys agree?

OK, a few more items of business: specific rules on which I've commented. Teemu and Spermy I'd like to resolve these if possible.
Comment on rule 7.2.2: should we unlock teams during the summer, to permit trades and drops? Advantage: owners might stay more engaged, gives you something to do during the summer, etc. Disadvantage: if some owners are checked out, they may miss inter-owner trade negotiations and thus be at a disadvantage compared to those who stay engaged. This also narrows the window during which we can make rules changes.
Rule 7.4: these are the rookie draft salaries. As above, we should nail them down for next year.
Rules 7.8 and 7.9 and subrules: we currently permit, by rule, trading during the draft. This seems impractical while we have 2 minute draft pick windows, and to date nobody has ever tried to do it. Should we just eliminate these rules? Alternatively, in the future we could switch to a "slow draft" or a live/on paper/untimed draft, which gives owners a real chance to make trades. But if we don't have a strong interest in mid-draft trades, I'd say lets just dump this and keep the draft fast and easy.
Rule 7.10: Autodrafting is gonna gently caress up someone who does it, probably. What with the three temp slots, the salaries, cap space, etc. I'd be in favor of changing 7.10 to just flat skip timed out picks rather than autodrafting. Dunno if anyone is planning to time out or autodraft, though, that could really suck if someone loses connection. What to do?
Rule 8.3.1: salary increases, currently 10% (min $1). We've discussed changing this scale.
Rule 8.3.2: we should specifically schedule when during the calendar year we apply the salary increase and then unlock teams.
Rule 8.4.1: needs to be edited. At the very least, we should xref and account for the new draft rules. I think trading directly to IR/Taxi still requires a bench slot, as codified in 8.4.1.1.
I want to edit rule 8.4.5 to account for us being on MFL which tracks cap space, mostly.
Rule 10.2.2: this is the FAAB waiver times, currently Wed and Sat at 11AM eastern. Shall we alter this, this year or perhaps next? Or we're dropping this.
Rule 10.3 needs to be modified now we're on MFL. Just want you guys' go-ahead to do it.
Rule 10.3.2 should be folded in with Rule 8.4.3
10.4 and 10.5 aren't even rules, just questions. Should we lock waivers during playoffs? We have not done so up till now, but there is incentive for eliminated teams to start doing postseason poo poo and/or lock up suddenly valuable free agents. I think most dynasty leagues institute a waiver lock at some point before the end of the playoffs. And for 10.5, we should explicitly set out the postseason stuff in the rules doc instead of playing it by the seat of the pants like I have been so far.
Section 11: we should codify and formalize our rules-changing process. Currently I think we're doing fine with leaguewide voting followed by commissioners agreeing, but that's not explicit. We may also want to set out in the rules, the offseason period in which we make major rules/scoring/scheduling changes etc.

whew

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

I don't know what to do with my waiver dollars. At all. Zero idea. I hope you all are dealing with the same problems I am.

We currently max at five groups. If anyone is hitting up against this and thinks it's not enough, speak up! Teemu wildly guessed 5 would be good but maybe we need more.

And yeah this poo poo is nuts, I'm starting to sort of think we should have had a live auction instead of a faab period, but it's probably too late to switch now.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
Hell yeah it's gonna be a demolition derby

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
About people busting their caps: We gotta keep this set during the draft.

We don't want someone to drop a rookie after the draft because that messes up the entire draft from that point till the end.

I can keep a tally during the draft. Just don't want people to drop any rookies after the draft basically.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Leperflesh posted:

Did this last week. I agree with your logic but yeah we should discuss that for next year.

I would love to open up that discussion, but yeah, I figured we already had enough on the docket and it was definitely a next year thing anyway.

quote:

IIRC it was mostly... atomictyler?... who wanted the saturday waiver to be pushed later in the day - late enough to see who practiced and use that to decide whether or not a Questionable player is gonna play. He made a pretty impassioned argument! But maybe nobody else cares. My own approach has always been to assume a Questionable player might not play, and be sure to roster a replacement by saturday; I don't gamble with the possibility of having nobody to start at a position. This costs bench slots and overall flexibility, so there's a tradeoff to being prepared, and I think that tradeoff is interesting and worthy.

That said, pushing the auction back from saturday morning to saturday evening doesn't seem like a big change that would really screw owners, so I'd be willing to discuss it again. And the vote for "no change" was as previously mentioned very poorly attended, and I don't remember if the two guys who dropped out this summer voted which could reduce further the tiny plurality that is controlling this decision if we go with the vote result.

Right now the status quo prevails.

In inclined to agree with your assessment and I would be in favor of that change, but I'm reluctant to do so unless we have a majority of owners on board. I really don't see a downside.

quote:

One point each? Half a point each? A quarter? We have never discussed the points values for these.

I think that a quarter point would be good. It's not like those are really huge plays, so scoring them is basically just throwing a bone, and I'm not sure if sacks and QB run TFLs would add on to those, so I'm reluctant to make them worth more. I think that compared to other stats though, that seems fair. I could probably be talked into .5 if people felt strongly about it

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

About people busting their caps: We gotta keep this set during the draft.

We don't want someone to drop a rookie after the draft because that messes up the entire draft from that point till the end.

I can keep a tally during the draft. Just don't want people to drop any rookies after the draft basically.

Yeah, the complexity is keeping a tally while understanding up to three rookies' salaries won't count against the cap... but maybe some owners won't want to risk putting their first round pick on a taxi squad.

Also goddamn the drops happening today.

I'm officially requesting bumping up the number of conditional groups to at least 7.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

I'm officially requesting bumping up the number of conditional groups to at least 7.

Seconded.

I mean I only have 5 slots but I want more top level guys.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Keep it at 5, it'll be much more interesting there.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
What are the rookie starting salaries? I can't find it on the rules. Need to make sure I have enough cap space to fit everything.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

atomictyler posted:

What are the rookie starting salaries? I can't find it on the rules. Need to make sure I have enough cap space to fit everything.

quote:

Salary of drafted players is determined based on their selection position, as follows:
The first four picks in the first round are paid $20
The fifth through eighth picks are paid $18
The ninth through twelfth picks are paid $16
All players drafted in the second round are paid $8
All players drafted in the third round are paid $4
All players drafted in the fourth round are paid $2
All remaining drafted players (fifth and later rounds) are paid $1

From the doc.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Zauper posted:

From the doc.

Specifically, Rule 7.4. We will likely raise some of these numbers next year, but for now they're the same as last year.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Can we set up our waiver claims now and if so, someone remind me how to do it because I can't find it on the desktop site.

I may be a moron.

E: Never mind, I am a moron, I think I figured it out.

Epi Lepi fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 29, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah on Add/Drops, you only see the full add interface after you select a player to add.

And yes, you can totally start setting up your claims now.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Seconded.

I mean I only have 5 slots but I want more top level guys.

Zauper posted:

Keep it at 5, it'll be much more interesting there.

I have a direct interest here, and I believe Spermy does too, so I don't want the two of us to make this decision without more feedback.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I used all 5 of mine and wouldn't mind more but I can live with 5.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

that's not helpful :argh:

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

I mean, the thing about 5 here is it forces you to make choices and prioritize rather than going wide.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Zauper posted:

I mean, the thing about 5 here is it forces you to make choices and prioritize rather than going wide.

Yeah. I guess I agree with this. It's going to drive prices up on the players we think everyone else is targeting. That's sort of the point here too.

poo poo is gonna be crazy.

5 bids is good, even if I really really want more.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I dislike the website quite a bit.

How do you sort different ways on this page?

I can sort by projected points, salary, and that's basically it.

On the app I can sort by ADP, or YTD points as well.

Basically just keep two tabs open the entire time?

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
Why are there 'rounds' in the blind bid waiver request interface? You can enter multiple claims in each round. Can someone please explain?

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

The Zack posted:

Why are there 'rounds' in the blind bid waiver request interface? You can enter multiple claims in each round. Can someone please explain?

It's conditional bidding, and you can only have 5 'groups' bid.

So what happens is, let's say you decide you want to bid on a safety, but you'd be ok with any of say 7 safeties.

You could make a 'safety' group and bid $1 on the first safety, then $1 on the second, then $1 on the third, then $7 on the fourth if you wanted, then $1 on the fifth etc.

It processes by doing all the 'top level' claims first. If you win your top level claim, the group condition is satisfied and it stops bidding. If not, if then processes the second level claim for all groups not satisfied. etc.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Leper posted this a while back:

Conditional bidding allows you to use logic within a set (or "group" as MFL calls them) of bids. So for example,

Group 1 bid:
$5 for player BOB BOBBERSON
Or
$3 for player SMITH SMITHERSON

Group 2 bid:
$8 for player DUDE DUDEBRO
Or
$3 for player SMITH SMITHERSON

With this bid setup, you would first bid for dude dudebro. Regardless of whether you got him or not, you'd next bid for bob bobberson. Then, if you didn't get either dude or bob, you'd bid for smith smitherson. If you got either dude or bob, the system would ignore your smith smitherson bid.

Here's MFL's help pages on it: http://www64.myfantasyleague.com/20...L=79286&FAQ=266
This one spells out examples in full detail: http://www03.myfantasyleague.com/20...&FAQ=537&SKIP=1

I really want to turn this on. It means for example if you're trying to pick up one free agent at a position, but you're not sure your bid will be high enough, you can bid on two or three or four players in that position while still guaranteeing you don't accidentally wind up with all four guys. Given we seem to be going for Option A, this is important: if you by chance overload on guys in the auction, you could wind up filling your roster and unable to make any drops before the rookie draft, potentially limiting your rookie picks to as few as three.

Any objections to turning on conditional bidding?

e. note the system can be surprisingly weird if you don't fully understand it. The last example on that second page is quite surprising:
quote:

quote:

Conditional Blind Bid Example #2:
pre:

Franchise Group Add Bid
Team A 1 Player 1 $71
Team A 1 Player 2 $101
Team B 1 Player 1 $90
Team B 1 Player 2 $80
Team C 1 Player 2 $100
Team C 1 Player 1 $60

The following would result in:

Team B would gets Player 1 for $90.
Team C would get Player 2 for $100, as Team A had player 2 hidden by the higher priority and therefore would already be won by Team C.
emphasis mine

You might think Team A should get Player 2 for his $101 bid, but he doesn't, because that bid was part of Group 1, as his second choice. Even though he lost his Group 1 first bid for Player 1, the fact his bid for Player 2 was covered up - in second rank - means anyone with a first-rank bid on Player 2 gets priority.

Team A could have avoided losing Player 2 by reversing the order of his bids in Group 1.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
On another note: What are we doing with the two abandoned teams? PM's, emails have gone unanswered. I'm Pretty Garbage At This hasn't ever logged into the 2017 site. Gridiron Chefs did 18 days ago and nothing since.

I've emailed, PM'd, and I'm out of options.

They have 3hrs to fix their teams for the waivers and drafts. Gridiron will bust his cap space even if we just fixed his IR/Taxi stuff, but Garbage is OK if we fixed his IR stuff.

The draft will be all messed up if they don't fix their team before then, because we basically have a 10-person draft instead of 12.

Do we swap them out with new owners?

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

On another note: What are we doing with the two abandoned teams? PM's, emails have gone unanswered. I'm Pretty Garbage At This hasn't ever logged into the 2017 site. Gridiron Chefs did 18 days ago and nothing since.

I've emailed, PM'd, and I'm out of options.

They have 3hrs to fix their teams for the waivers and drafts. Gridiron will bust his cap space even if we just fixed his IR/Taxi stuff, but Garbage is OK if we fixed his IR stuff.

The draft will be all messed up if they don't fix their team before then, because we basically have a 10-person draft instead of 12.

Do we swap them out with new owners?

Given time pressure, I'd support this.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
One is back to life.

Welcome back, Garbage.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

do i need to promote my two taxi squad guys to my roster now that they aren't rookies?

also i had been trying to do stuff on the app but it was extremely broken, maybe I was trying to gently caress around in the ended 2016 league rather than the 2017 league...

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Yeah, rooks need to be promoted to squad or dropped entirely.

The app has an update via the Amazon Store if you've got an Android. It's bullshit how they have to do it, but the app works decently now that he fixed the waiver bug I told him about.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
When do rosters lock for drops and what are we doing about Gridiron? I didn't even realize they had gone incommunicado.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

When do rosters lock for drops and what are we doing about Gridiron? I didn't even realize they had gone incommunicado.

Rosters should have already locked for drops I think? Because the add waiver is 23 hours from now and there's a 24 hour lock on adding a drop..

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

They paid dues so I really didn't think they'd go awol! let me get to a computer in a few minutes and see what's up

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I cant figure out how to stop drops. I added a calendar thing to stop adds/drops 3 times now and I can keep dropping Freeman with zero issues. Going to give it a few minutes and try it again.

Freeman is my test guy, sorry for the emails I'm going to spam, but you all know I'm not dropping him for $7 so he's a good test candidate for me.

Edit: gently caress, the calendar just creates something saying "You cant add/drop" and doesn't actually prohibit you from doing it. Time to dig in the Commish poo poo.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 29, 2017

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Hey MFL, whats the point of this if I can still drop players? :argh:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Finally got it. Removed both of those columns to stop adds/drops. It's a bad solution, Leper probably knows of a simple checkmark. Ah well, I locked it down until he gets to a PC :shrug:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alright so Chen Kenichi is the AWOL guy, right? I only have the one email address for him, the one that's in MFL. Hopefully he's not like... in Houston or something, but I don't think we can make any assumptions.

e. You wanted to turn off drops, but not add/drops. "add/drops" is the entire interface for submitting blind bids, and that is now disabled.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Yeah, Chen is the AWOL guy. Hasnt posted on the forums in 9 days. Hasnt responded to multiple emails. Hasnt responded to PM's about trades and stuff. Doesn't have PM's.

I emailed 3 times in the last 72hrs, no response.

Don't know what to do here.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 29, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK here's what I propose.

First let's get his team to at least conforming to cap and roster space.

-Remove all three guys from his taxi squad
-drop steve smith, who is retired
-put andy luck on IR - he's only Out, but that qualifies
-put Will Fuller on IR - he's also only Out, but is the next most expensive Out player on the roster

doing the math in my head I think that puts him riiight around his cap limit, so it might not be enough.

He has two more free agents on his roster: dorial green-beckham and dennis pitta. Pitta fractured and dislocated his hip and is not on an NFL team - his career is probably over. DGB is just an unrestricted free agent with little prospects, but in theory he could still play.

So if the above isn't quite enough to clear cap, I'd propose to drop Dennis Pitta. I think that last $2 would do it, just barely.

Secondarily: we have tough decisions here. We can try to delay the draft; but this sucks badly because it probably screws another owner. We didn't schedule the draft for Saturday because Teemu preferred AM/early afternoon, while several others were only available at night. Sunday+ is no good for epi lepi and possibly teemu as well.

We can try to replace Chen on very short notice. We'd have to find someone who wants his team, is willing to act today, and pay up dues, and I'd be refunding Chen his dues. This is really drastic though! All I know about where he lives is that it's Central time zone, and that includes all of texas, louisiana, etc. Chen could well be experiencing flooding etc. right now, maybe just has no power but will get it back shortly, or something. But if that's the case, even though it's not his fault at all, we can't exactly shut down or delay the league while we wait.

My inclination is to start trying to get a replacement immediately. We might get a taker, and if we do, we let that guy do drops, give everyone till midday tomorrow to set up their blind bids, and run the veteran auction tomorrow evening or perhaps thursday morning. What do you guys think?

If we can't get a taker, we dump players as I outlined above, he skips his rookie drafts if he doesn't show for draft day, and then we try and get a taker of a team that got no rookies this year, which... I dunno. Pretty harsh.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 29, 2017

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

OK here's what I propose.

If we drop players as described above, can we also fill his taxi squad using 'highest rookie ADP' to use his picks at a minimum? Still sucks, but at least there's something.

Ideal is he shows up or we get a taker.

e: doing the math, putting luck (by himself) on the taxi squad gives him enough space.

Zauper fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 29, 2017

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
It sucks if he still wants the team, but we gotta get a new owner in here ASAP in my opinion.

Finding someone who wants to get a membership to these forums and wants to make immediate cuts might be hard but if we post in the FF thread maybe we'll get a taker.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Zauper posted:

If we drop players as described above, can we also fill his taxi squad using 'highest rookie ADP' to use his picks at a minimum? Still sucks, but at least there's something.

Ideal is he shows up or we get a taker.

e: doing the math, putting luck (by himself) on the taxi squad gives him enough space.

luck can't go on the taxi squad lol!
IR is only 50% salary discount

e. Highest ADP rookie according to this?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
We cant really do anything until we get an owner.

Maybe they'll want to drop some guys and bit on the big names that have been dropped.

I think we need to postpone the waiver period till maybe thursday afternoon at this point.