Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Fill it full of bamboo stakes and cover it with leaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Look, basically I don't even want to talk to you if you haven't always dreamed of having your own personal tower of silence.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bad Munki posted:

Look, basically I don't even want to talk to you if you haven't always dreamed of having your own personal tower of silence.

quoted for wut

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Fill it with guinea pigs.

I mean, not to the brim. Like, sixty of them. With a little house and a capybara to watch over them.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I can't believe no one has pointed out the obvious, turn it into a trampoline :D

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Capybara snuggle valley is the only real choice

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Put bleachers around it, refill it with cheap chinese olive oil, have public oil wrestling matches, make huge bucks off stadium food and tickets.
ed: I just learned that you can buy olive oil by the metric ton (18 tons minimum order)
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Pomace-Olive-Oil_50032370827.html?spm=a2700.7724857.main07.83.2bd1397544jijv

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 29, 2017

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think a pond that small is gonna be less of a hassle than you would think. It really just needs a skimmer, and a mosquito dunk tossed in once a month. In a couple years, if it grows on you, you could put in some frogs or koi. I don't think the debris will be a big deal, but if you don't want to deal with leaf litter at all, you could get a little gazebo or tent.

If you wanted to get into a pond that's big or stocked or fully planted, I think that's when you really start seeing headaches. This looks like a good size to sit and have coffee next to, and, if you can see it from your place, watch wildlife drink from.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Be careful chipping out the bottom, I think the LGM-30G is 60ft tall. Would be a long fall... And don't let the DoE catch you doxxing their silos.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

learnincurve posted:

I can't believe no one has pointed out the obvious, turn it into a trampoline :D
I had a trampoline as a kid, and it was the first thing I thought of when I saw the hole. As it is stone-lined and surrounded by the spiked remains of old stumps
... less attractive an option.

The surrounding trees drop a TON of debris, a lot of which is an utter pain to clean. Part of the issue with cleaning this out was that the bottom was two feet of mucky sediment. I think our local building codes may prohibit outbuildings forward of the main house, unfortunately, as a gazebo-like cover would help a lot.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Speaking of ponds, the house I'm about to exchange on has a 6' x 3' x 3' cuboid pond up against a retaining wall/side fence. It's currently full of koi and has a filter/etc. already there and running. Wife is not hot on keeping it at all - and I'm ambivalent. Is there anything worth doing with such a small pond tucked into a corner that might make it seem worth it? It's currently got a pair of garden gates bolted together and laid over the surface, so that kids or pets can't fall in.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Keep it if you intend to sell the house, the initial set up of a proper koi pond can run into the thousands and they are easy to maintain. I would put some seats in that area and live with it for a while, you might find you want to landscape that area and pretty it up.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you don't know how mosquito dunks work, let me just mention them again because they're so cool. https://www.planetnatural.com/product/mosquito-dunks/

They're bacteria that eat mosquito larvae. They don't eat the larvae of anything else. They aren't poisonous and don't affect koi, frogs, pets, humans, anything else at all. And they're almost zero effort -- you throw one in once a month. It completely removes the one big negative of a pond.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ladies and Gentlemen, for your pleasure. The 90s time capsule McMansion.

http://thechive.com/2017/08/29/amazing-90s-crib-for-sale-is-all-that-and-a-bag-of-chips-37-photos/

1. I got to admire their commitment to the colour scheme
2. That pool.
3. I would unironically live In that house and not change a thing so it can be preserved for our great great grandchildren's generation.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

holy poo poo that's a lot of pink, teal and sinks

woah mosquito dunks!!!! I'm going to check my hardware store asap

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

learnincurve posted:

http://thechive.com/2017/08/29/amazing-90s-crib-for-sale-is-all-that-and-a-bag-of-chips-37-photos/

2. That pool.
3. I would unironically live In that house and not change a thing so it can be preserved for our great great grandchildren's generation.

The pink felted pool table shows some real dedication.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

2. That pool.

Great, now I'm going to have the Saved By the Bell theme in my head all day.

And maybe it's just a side effect of all the sleek modernism toning down the usual mcmansion features, but it's surprisingly non-offensive on a design level. A billion recessed lights and a triple-layer tray ceiling just kind of make sense in this wannabe spaceship environment.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I had a trampoline as a kid, and it was the first thing I thought of when I saw the hole. As it is stone-lined and surrounded by the spiked remains of old stumps
... less attractive an option.

The surrounding trees drop a TON of debris, a lot of which is an utter pain to clean. Part of the issue with cleaning this out was that the bottom was two feet of mucky sediment. I think our local building codes may prohibit outbuildings forward of the main house, unfortunately, as a gazebo-like cover would help a lot.

Two feet of mucky sediment doesn't actually bother koi. At least not as long as you have an aerator to keep it from becoming anoxic mucky sediment. There also wouldn't be quite so much sediment because the koi would eat some of it, they eat all kinds of vegetation and rotted vegetation.

Basically your pond was gross because it was stagnant and 'dead', that's not the natural state of a healthy pond. Adding an aerator and nothing else would go a long way to prevent it from becoming a stinky swampy mess. Some aerators make a little fountain in the middle of the pond, it's cool.

I wonder if some kind of cover made out of netting would be enough to keep most of the leaves and whatnot out, without triggering bylaw enforcement, and still allow you to enjoy having a pond/fountain/water feature.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
If you really hate it, couldn't you just fill it with soil and have it be a container garden?

skrapp mettle
Mar 17, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

If you really hate it, couldn't you just fill it with soil and have it be a container garden?

Plant a running timber bamboo in it

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Fill it with kudzu, it'll be great, I promise!

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Without punching some drainage holes first, it would just end up becoming a muddy pit the first time it rains heavily.

I favor the trampoline option, personally.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I unironically love this 1950s time capsule cabin. What do you call this style? Mid-Century Rustic?

would rip out the carpet in the bathroom though

this carpet would stay

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Youth Decay posted:

I unironically love this 1950s time capsule cabin. What do you call this style? Mid-Century Rustic?

You're right, this is great. Surprisingly big windows for a log cabin too, and it's in Minnesota. I wonder how stable the temperature is inside? It looks like there's no insulation but those interior logs could just be for effect I guess.

This looks lovingly custom-built so the style might not have a name, but I feel like you'd have to throw "knotty pine" in there somewhere.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Youth Decay posted:

would rip out the carpet in the bathroom though

this carpet would stay

Yeah, this is actually real cool in a log cabin way. Definitely a nice vacation home.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I wonder how stable the temperature is inside? It looks like there's no insulation but those interior logs could just be for effect I guess.

Having lived in a legitimate log cabin with no wall insulation beyond the logs themselves in a place where the winters hit -60F for a month at a whack, it's fine, as long as the fit and chinking is good.

That being said, all of the interior/exterior there looks cosmetic. I don't think I've ever seen a vertical-log cabin actually built of logs. Most likely it's just a bunch of split off surfaces used as cladding.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 30, 2017

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

You're right, this is great. Surprisingly big windows for a log cabin too, and it's in Minnesota. I wonder how stable the temperature is inside? It looks like there's no insulation but those interior logs could just be for effect I guess.

This looks lovingly custom-built so the style might not have a name, but I feel like you'd have to throw "knotty pine" in there somewhere.

I notice features you'd usually associate with MCM houses (low-slung roof, open plan with interior beams, wall of windows, circular free-standing fireplace, angular kitchen) but all in a log cabin style. Certainly one of a kind.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

learnincurve posted:

2. That pool.

I dunno about 90s time capsule, but it definitely looks like a Miami Vice set.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Bad Munki posted:

Having lived in a legitimate log cabin with no wall insulation beyond the logs themselves in a place where the winters hit -60F for a month at a whack, it's fine, as long as the fit and chinking is good.

That being said, all of the interior/exterior there looks cosmetic. I don't think I've ever seen a vertical-log cabin actually built of logs. Most likely it's just a bunch of split off surfaces used as cladding.

Same here in Oneida County Wisconsin. You make sure the oakum is tamped tight in the summer, so in the winter you don't freeze your rear end off. Also chopping a poo poo-ton of wood to keep the fireplace going, and making sure the well head heater doesn't gently caress up.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
First time posting in this thread (but I just blew about 20 hours reading it, what a ride)

So given the recent theme of mid century modern, I just bought a house 1960s time capsule, and here is the living room:

This is gonn be fun.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Don Dongington posted:

First time posting in this thread (but I just blew about 20 hours reading it, what a ride)

So given the recent theme of mid century modern, I just bought a house 1960s time capsule, and here is the living room:

This is gonn be fun.

Don't you dare touch those ceiling beams or that brick arch. Man I've always hated those 60s lattice windows though. Was any of the furniture included? Uphholstery aside that dining set is beautiful.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Not touching either. The 60s vintage Axeminster is coming up, to be replaced by something hard-wearing like vinyl planks, until the kids have grown up and I dunno we don't have incontinent daschunds wrecking everything. Then maybe veneer. The rest of the house is solid jarrah timber. All carpets are coming up.

We asked the sellers to leave anything they don't explicitly want to take with them, so I assume the couches are going, and as for the rest, to be honest i can't wait for the final inspection in a couple days to see what they're leaving. Also hoping it includes the bandsaw and pedestal drill in the work shed. I'll throw up a few more photos of this trapped-in-time wonder:

Dining room, that used to be the back porch pre-renovations:

Kitchen - Who needs an island bench when you have this much goddamn linear space?

If I walk in to the spare bedroom and find this roller desk still there I think I may squeal like a little girl, and then proceed to shut the door for some alone time.

This is a spare bedroom, probably be my computer/study room, but that wallpaper needs to burn.

Front entryway, just screams "Whoever decorated this place paid for it in pounds and shillings":

Weirdly, the current owner bough the place in 2000. They were either old then, or decorated the place impeccably to theme.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Don Dongington posted:

Front entryway, just screams "Whoever decorated this place paid for it in pounds and shillings":

This wasn't owned by a Mrs Bucket.. er.. Bouquet, was it?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Jaded Burnout posted:

This wasn't owned by a Mrs Bucket.. er.. Bouquet, was it?

One of my first thoughts, tbh. It looks to me liked they've staged it by using some of their own furniture, but it's lacking in the kind of clutter you'd expect in a lived in home. I think it's just an old guy widower there on his own. It's going to be a good project for some respectful modernization, I thought. Also it fits my family which is the most important part.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I think my 90 year old grandma has those carpets, although naturally in different colours in each room with a hallway carpet in the middle that matches none of them.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

learnincurve posted:

2. That pool.

just makes me think

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

So given the recent theme of mid century modern, I just bought a house 1960s time capsule
That place is amazing. The only things I'd change are the carpets and the flourescent lights in the kitchen

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Collateral Damage posted:

That place is amazing. The only things I'd change are the carpets and the flourescent lights in the kitchen

Carpets are coming out because there's solid jarrah boards underneath.
We're going to paint the siding in the living room because with dark wood floors and those beams it'll be just a bit too much wood.
I'm going to re-do the kitchen lighting at some point, but I don't want to ruin it with lovely can lights or other awful modern poo poo, so it might cost a bit. Ideas on that very welcome.

As for furnishings, we're going to get rid of a lot of our postmodern/ikea shite in favour of second hand finds on Gumtree (Australian Craigslist) and facebook marketplace. We'll try to get as much dark wood stuff as we can find (I've already tracked down a dining table and a display cabinet). In Australia there are only really 2 viable timber options: pine or jarrah, so there's tonnes of jarrah stuff floating about.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

What's with the can light hate? They're just servants of our real enemy, the featureless disc.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

peanut posted:

What's with the can light hate? They're just servants of our real enemy, the featureless disc.

Can lights and all of these are dramatically superior to the goddamn boob lights on every foot of my house.