Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

KiteAuraan posted:

Hot Topic is 90% nerdy blind box tat and Funko Pops these days.

i have no idea what the gently caress this sentence says

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

kumba posted:

It's ok, I'm now an old as I don't understand rap music anymore :negative:

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

kumba posted:

I remember Babbage's, they were all over the place around here. We had a mall that had both a Babbage's and an EB that both turned into Gamestop a few months apart

Same thing happened at one of my local malls, made better by the fact that the two stores were literally on top of each other, Babbages on the first floor, EB on top of them on the second.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
EB Games/Gamestop isn't going anywhere soon. They get pretty advanced knowledge of where the market is going from Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony and would probably have enough time to pivot if there was a an all-digital generation of video games. I don't know how it is in the states, but in Canada they didn't over-saturate with stores either so they are in a not-awful position.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's possible they turn to become a retro / accessories store but i think we're still some ways away from an All Digital Future (conceivably we'll hit a subscription-based subsidized console around the same time).

What should really happen is Hot Topic should absorb GameStop

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Would be the other way around, Gamestop is worth just over 2 billion and Hot Topic is around 250 million

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Choco1980 posted:

Anyways, I also think the market plan first started by Skylanders and now dominated by Amiibos and Lego Dimensions, where you need to buy physical components for your video games is going to hold strong for some time. Kids eat that stuff up, and I've noticed the electronics sections of stores slowly getting bigger and bigger sections devoted to that kind of toy.

There's actually been quite a slowdown in the "Toys to Life" genre. Disney Infinity is gone, Skylanders is "taking a break", and LEGO Dimensions is about to release the last sets they've announced. As for Amiibo, they're still coming out regularly, but I feel like their main market is collectors rather than kids. Ubisoft is doing a new spaceship game, but that's about it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Physical video games aren't going away until absolutely every one of their customers can be guaranteed to have fast, reliable internet and credit cards. The market definitely is shrinking into dedicated stores, but they're going to be around until then.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Inescapable Duck posted:

Physical video games aren't going away until absolutely every one of their customers can be guaranteed to have fast, reliable internet and credit cards.

This is already more people than it should be, though.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I have no idea how LUSH is in business, it feels like something that should have quickly opened and closed as the fad died out

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DariusLikewise posted:

Would be the other way around, Gamestop is worth just over 2 billion and Hot Topic is around 250 million
Also Hot Topic doesn't exist outside of malls which are dying very rapidly

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Professor Shark posted:

I have no idea how LUSH is in business, it feels like something that should have quickly opened and closed as the fad died out

The products make an excellent treat for yourself. I only see them in pretty upscale areas: the expensive mall, not the middle-class one.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Professor Shark posted:

I have no idea how LUSH is in business

*very borat voice* MY WIFE

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Dennis McClaren posted:

There is a travel agency down the street from my neighborhood that has been in business at the same location for at least 20 years. It's a pretty nice piece of real estate they are on, the rent must be expensive. They have one of those sign's out front that you write with the letters yourself, and they're always advertising Costa Rica and Puerto Rico trips.
How the hell are they still in business in 2017? Who is going to pay out travel agent fees on top of booking fees when you can do the whole process yourself for far cheaper online?

If you work at a university you have to go through whatever travel agency they have a contract with. When I had a conference in Santiago Chile, they booked my flight to Lima, Peru because I guess those countries border or something so they must be nearby? It's only a 3300 km drive between the two after all.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

kumba posted:

Nerdy: Look in the mirror lol
Blind Box: Windowless container (usually a bag, actually) that doesn't let you know which collectible of a set you're buying. Kind of like how trading cards are sold
Tat: British for "useless landfill-bound crap"
Funko Pops: The worst of all the blind box tats, a toy line that asks "What if every character you know from pop culture were an unrecognizable lump of vinyl?" They all have square heads and "minimalist" details that mean you basically have to go by color to guess what character it's supposed to be. They are this era's beanie babies and litter this earth to such a degree that future archaeologists will probably refer to us as the Expressionless Cubehead Doll People.

Professor Shark posted:

I agree, their stuff is drain-clogging crap and I never thought they'd survive the trend towards dye and perfume-free toiletries, but they managed to become a staple with all the people who were buying Bath & Body Works 20 years ago. I guess I can see the appeal of having some store like that. Zero research required, one stop shop selling both reasonably inoffensive gifts for people you don't know well and "luxuries" for yourself that anyone who uses your bathroom will see and know you don't just buy soap at the grocery store like plebes. They have incredibly strong branding, strong enough to penetrate the minds of people who aren't brand-conscious beyond old standby mall brands. I hated B&BW and I heartily congratulate Lush for killing them, but I personally will continue not buying dye-and-gllitter bath bombs that make my tub look like it robbed a bank and visited a strip club simultaneously.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Wintermutant posted:

The only good thing I can say about Windstream is that at least they're not Frontier.

I've always been confused by this but I know Frontier is over 1/2 the country and probably has lovely DSL there instead of sweet fiber to my door like I get here in the Portland metro area...least in certain spots.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

, but I personally will continue not buying dye-and-gllitter bath bombs that make my tub look like it robbed a bank and visited a strip club simultaneously.
The bath bombs almost never glitter nowadays. :nono: :sparkles: I, for one, am grieving mightily.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The bath bombs almost never glitter nowadays. :nono: :sparkles: I, for one, am grieving mightily.

There's a fast-growing trend of glittery face masks you might enjoy then :sparkles:

I personally stick with the animal face masks that make it look like I'm wearing someone else's skin.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

kumba posted:

*very borat voice* MY WIFE

Ding ding ding

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
My wife actually got me using one of the body washes from them and I like it :shrug: By now there's probably a regular brand out there that works just as well without the ridiculous markup but I'd rather just shell out a couple extra bucks a month instead of going out and experimenting with a bunch of other brands to find another one as good.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Straight White Shark posted:

My wife actually got me using one of the body washes from them and I like it :shrug: By now there's probably a regular brand out there that works just as well without the ridiculous markup but I'd rather just shell out a couple extra bucks a month instead of going out and experimenting with a bunch of other brands to find another one as good.

Yeah, full disclosure I don't dislike Lush for being more expensive than drugstore brands, but for marketing itself as a luxury brand despite not having any of the qualities I happily let better brands gouge me for.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Thing is, I think dye is fun. And the purple Daddy-O shampoo is awesome for my grey hair.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I like Lush, they make great Christmas Boxes for my cousins and they have a kind of deoderant powder that doesn't cause my skin to go to gently caress, so it's all to the good. That and I like the fact that they pay their staff quite well.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Here's an idea of what the Funko Pop wall looks like at my nearest EBGames:

Also the PC section is literally Blizzard game cards and steam gift cards.

Speaking of Blizzard games, I love finding the random WoW expansions for $29.99 in random rear end grocery stores. Usually it's Cataclysm as well, not even the most recent one.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah the 'PC gaming' section has just been a bunch of those Steam cards for some time now

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I loving hate those things because the makers hedge their bets by having figurines of every fictional-character ever. Remember that video-game Evolve? They have figurines of the playable cast of Evolve, despite the fact only ten people played that game. It reminds me of how often Ubisoft makes "Iconic" merchandising-crap.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

DariusLikewise posted:

EB Games/Gamestop isn't going anywhere soon. They get pretty advanced knowledge of where the market is going from Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony and would probably have enough time to pivot if there was a an all-digital generation of video games. I don't know how it is in the states, but in Canada they didn't over-saturate with stores either so they are in a not-awful position.
For a while they were horribly oversaturated even when they were doing well. That's self-corrected as their business model has become less tenable. :v:

Professor Shark posted:

Lush still has a strong cult following from beauty/personal care geeks. Even though other stores have caught onto the popularity of bath bombs(and let's be real, that's 90% of what drew people to Lush in the first place), they'll keep going for a while on that & the "I feel like treating myself but am too lazy to actually go out of my way for it" market alone.

Yeah, full disclosure I don't dislike Lush for being more expensive than drugstore brands, but for marketing itself as a luxury brand despite not having any of the qualities I happily let better brands gouge me for.
:same:

Hell, some of their stuff is full-on worse than the cheapest poo poo you could buy at a big box store. Their solid shampoos built up on my hair and left it a greasy-looking mess. But it's all natural & not tested on animals so that's fine, right? :downs:

Meanwhile Body Shop's slowly imploding despite being what I really tried Lush for in the first place(nice body care stuff a step above B&BW).

Haifisch has a new favorite as of 21:38 on Aug 29, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I loving hate those things because the makers hedge their bets by having figurines of every fictional-character ever. Remember that video-game Evolve? They have figurines of the playable cast of Evolve, despite the fact only ten people played that game. It reminds me of how often Ubisoft makes "Iconic" merchandising-crap.

Totally agreed. They really shouldn't make merch on games unless they've established it's a franchise. I saw Evolve action figures gathering dust at a local record store on Sunday and those things are gonna be there forever.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Irradiation posted:

If you work at a university you have to go through whatever travel agency they have a contract with. When I had a conference in Santiago Chile, they booked my flight to Lima, Peru because I guess those countries border or something so they must be nearby? It's only a 3300 km drive between the two after all.

I work at a university. We have two travel coordinators in just my department that do all our arrangements directly. We travel A LOT though.

e: Also I've never even heard of Lush and feel like I've slipped dimensions since you're all talking about it like it's a thing.

disclaimer: I don't know the last time I actually went to a mall, and whenever it was I likely went to whatever entrance was closest to the place I needed to go and went straight to it without paying attention to whatever else was around

ReidRansom has a new favorite as of 22:30 on Aug 29, 2017

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Hell, some of their stuff is full-on worse than the cheapest poo poo you could buy at a big box store. Their solid shampoos built up on my hair and left it a greasy-looking mess. But it's all natural & not tested on animals so that's fine, right? :downs:
Yeah, a lot of their products suck. That is true of every beauty/personal comfort thing I've tried. A couple of their liquid shampoos are the bomb, as are some of the bombs (duh) and some of the washes. And I really wish they'd bring back the freezable shower gels, because those were awesome for summer.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nerdy: Look in the mirror lol
Blind Box: Windowless container (usually a bag, actually) that doesn't let you know which collectible of a set you're buying. Kind of like how trading cards are sold
Tat: British for "useless landfill-bound crap"
Funko Pops: The worst of all the blind box tats, a toy line that asks "What if every character you know from pop culture were an unrecognizable lump of vinyl?" They all have square heads and "minimalist" details that mean you basically have to go by color to guess what character it's supposed to be. They are this era's beanie babies and litter this earth to such a degree that future archaeologists will probably refer to us as the Expressionless Cubehead Doll People.

Funko Pops are certainly tat but they're not generally (or ever?) blind boxes as far as I know.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

kumba posted:

I remember Babbage's, they were all over the place around here. We had a mall that had both a Babbage's and an EB that both turned into Gamestop a few months apart

You from Maryland by any chance? Same thing with my local mall.

e: I guess it was common

sharknado slashfic has a new favorite as of 00:20 on Aug 30, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ReidRansom posted:

e: Also I've never even heard of Lush and feel like I've slipped dimensions since you're all talking about it like it's a thing.

disclaimer: I don't know the last time I actually went to a mall, and whenever it was I likely went to whatever entrance was closest to the place I needed to go and went straight to it without paying attention to whatever else was around

Oh yeah if you don't go to malls you'll never see Lush. They're kind of a dinosaur that way, it's interesting. Almost all other pricier-than-drugstore cosmetics/toiletries brands are either trying to get stocked in Sephora/Ulta or selling online and marketing through beauty bloggers, but Lush is still chugging along like it's the 90s. I mean, more power to them, I just hate cleaning my bathtub so anything from them is an instant regift as far as I'm concerned.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

sharknado slashfic posted:

Babbage's was nationwide. I used to go to one in Oklahoma.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

sharknado slashfic posted:

Nope, Florida here. I feel like I remember Babbage's in Michigan too

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

kumba posted:

Nope, Florida here. I feel like I remember Babbage's in Michigan too

And Georgia, Babbage's was my first job.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Okay but if you haven't already try a Lush face mask. It's probably one of the cheaper things in the store and your face has never been happier/

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bean posted:

Okay but if you haven't already try a Lush face mask. It's probably one of the cheaper things in the store and your face has never been happier/

Neat - are they the goopy kind or the paper kind?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sir Lemming posted:

This is already more people than it should be, though.

Regional America, Australia, and pretty much the whole emerging developed world beg to differ. And of course, children whose parents don't let them have the credit card. The Xbox One's online-only DRM got rightly laughed out of the room because it shut them out of entire markets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Oh yeah if you don't go to malls you'll never see Lush. They're kind of a dinosaur that way, it's interesting. Almost all other pricier-than-drugstore cosmetics/toiletries brands are either trying to get stocked in Sephora/Ulta or selling online and marketing through beauty bloggers, but Lush is still chugging along like it's the 90s. I mean, more power to them, I just hate cleaning my bathtub so anything from them is an instant regift as far as I'm concerned.

But like a hotel or something where it's someone else's problem .... hmmm...