Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
who is the biggest fail club
This poll is closed.
arsenal 9223372036854775807 100.00%
not arsenal 1 0.00%
Total: 23 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

T Bowl posted:

Wenger should keep Mustafi AND try to sign Evans, especially if he keeps trying that loving back three. I'd also totally do a swap with City for Sanchez but there is literally no chance of that happening.

I don't understand why we're trying to off-load Mustafi. He always seemed decent to me and it's hard to rate any central defender when our midfield is total poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Shitshow posted:

I don't understand why we're trying to off-load Mustafi. He always seemed decent to me and it's hard to rate any central defender when our midfield is total poo poo.

Someone said before that apparently he hates living in England so maybe he is causing a ruckus behind the scenes.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Shitshow posted:

I have a suspicion someone has told Wengy that he can't have an entire team of deadweight and players who desperately want to leave, and he needs to sort this poo poo out. It would have been cool if they did this before August 29.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

I have a suspicion someone has told Wengy that he can't have an entire team of deadweight and players who desperately want to leave, and he needs to sort this poo poo out. It would have been cool if they did this before August 29.

Perhaps they were doing some belated spring cleaning at the Emirates and found Gazidis’ backbone.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
Why would Sterling go to Arsenal?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

wicka posted:

Perhaps they were doing some belated spring cleaning at the Emirates and found Gazidis’ backbone.

I can believe things like the moon landing being fake or bigfoot being real but you need to gently caress off with this outrageous poo poo

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

glasnost toyboy posted:

Why would Sterling go to Arsenal?

Suppose there's a chance Sterling puts his foot down and refuses to go along with the transfer. He can do that, right?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

PirateBob posted:

Suppose there's a chance Sterling puts his foot down and refuses to go along with the transfer. He can do that, right?

Maybe he just wants a comfortable cruisy time on huge wages

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

trem_two posted:

Lazio's Keita is having a medical with Monaco today. I was hoping he was going to stay with Lazio and sign for Juve next summer on a free, which is what had been rumored.

Once Milan were not going to get him I was hoping he'd leave Italy because it would either be to your lot or Inter. That's good.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Why did Alexis ever sign for Arsenal in the first place :thunk: Coming from Barcelona and being known as a pretty great player he must have had a few options.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That heart patient guy signed for Roma

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

PirateBob posted:

Why did Alexis ever sign for Arsenal in the first place :thunk: Coming from Barcelona and being known as a pretty great player he must have had a few options.

Arsenal looked like they would start challenging for titles at the point he signed... he seemed to be a missing piece to the puzzle. Problem was the defense was still trash for the most part and players who were "about to become" world class like Ramsey/Wilshere/Ox didn't really pan out that way at all.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

PirateBob posted:

He rejected both Liverpool and Juventus before deciding on Arsenal iirc.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Palace looks to finally sign Sakho.

https://twitter.com/domfifield/status/902552563060543488

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Today has been the most bonkers transfer day since the Babelcopter

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

EvilHawk posted:

Today has been the most bonkers transfer day since the Babelcopter

Didn't odemwengie in the parking lot happen after that?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

PirateBob posted:

I read some chatter that his family preferred living in London.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

blue footed boobie posted:

Didn't odemwengie in the parking lot happen after that?

The Odemwengie thing was funny but we've got people bringing down flight tracker websites, decoding airport webcam footage, and tracking down van owners.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Welp. Scratch that Sakho news.
https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho/status/902561510773465090

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

This is a bit odd but we've been getting what we want for players recently so I'm sure we're holding out for a reason.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Brony Car posted:

I read some chatter that his family preferred living in London.

Which is strange because, unlike Ozil, he hasn't really settled in London at all.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i still do not understand why sakho isn't at least a rotation guy for a team that regularly dresses ragnar

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

bewbies posted:

i still do not understand why sakho isn't at least a rotation guy for a team that regularly dresses ragnar

hes brilliant but it's a discipline thing, they fell out and it's irreparable :(

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Liverpool subreddit right now

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

bewbies posted:

Klavan is a solid defender, he'd be a good fourth choice in any team in the top six.

Sakho is better but he's also loving mental and has a terrible work ethic. He had an opportunity last year to get back in to the side but he didn't put in a shift in the u23s so Klopp basically decided gently caress him. I'd be interested to see how he copes under someone like Pulis tbh.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/City_Watch/status/902564376892383232

ahahahahaha

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

wicka posted:

Which is strange because, unlike Ozil, he hasn't really settled in London at all.

Didn't he used to live in England when he was on Everton's books? Why did he come back if he doesn't like living in England?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

I would only do the deal if it was Sterling + a decent amount, never pay more to get him.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

T Bowl posted:

I would only do the deal if it was Sterling + a decent amount, never pay more to get him.

It's "Sky sources," so it's probably bullshit, but I hope we do it. A talented young player AND absolute chaos amongst the fans? And I thought this season was going to suck!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Wengy loves trading his best players for some other English team's good-not-great players. Back in the day it was Ashley Cole for William Gallas.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Vegetable posted:

Wengy loves trading his best players for some other English team's good-not-great players. Back in the day it was Ashley Cole for William Gallas.

But you see, Arsenal aren't challenging for poo poo and will be lucky to get top 4... Sanchez won't sign a new deal.... this is the best option.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

T Bowl posted:

Arsenal looked like they would start challenging for titles at the point he signed... he seemed to be a missing piece to the puzzle. Problem was the defense was still trash for the most part and players who were "about to become" world class like Ramsey/Wilshere/Ox didn't really pan out that way at all.

One out of three ain't bad.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Roma have completely lost the plot...

https://twitter.com/ASRomaEN/status/902546975681388544

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/ChelseaFC/status/902554691682406402

Operation "Keep Eden Hazard happy" has begun.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

This rules and luckily I just so happen to have an opening for a new Best Team

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

MrBling posted:

A 22 year old who's scored 3 goals in the hungarian league? :getin:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

lol this owns

MrBling posted:

Antonio Donnarumma......

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone who is a non-boom-buster please tell me if Naby Keita is worth $48 million one year in advance of actually getting the player?

I've never seen him play outside of highlights

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
lmao Giroud just said he'd be willing to leave Arsenal too if he got the right offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

TheBigAristotle posted:

Does anyone who is a non-boom-buster please tell me if Naby Keita is worth $48 million one year in advance of actually getting the player?

I've never seen him play outside of highlights

I never bust I'm always booming so here's the lowdown on a new advanced stat for you, packing.

quote:

I am very fortunate in my current job to be privy to a large amount of soccer data (metrics, advanced stats, etc.). I do not feel comfortable going into more detail on this, and I understand the skepticism that will accompany that claim; it is why I don’t often comment on reddit. However, last summer I felt compelled to comment just once about a young midfielder who is absolutely off the charts in regards to nearly every advanced metric that grades players. He even scored exceptionally high across separate midfield positions, which means that no matter what qualities were weighted highly in the metric (tackles for dm, impactful passes for am, etc.) he scored well. I won’t go into a whole lot of specifics about his stats, but I do want to mention one particular metric that makes him an extremely valuable player.

Packing – A metric which tries to determine the value of a pass or dribble by evaluating how many defenders it “takes out of the game”. Basically, how many defenders are in between the ball and the goal when a player receives the ball, and then how many still are when the next player receives it. Packing is very intuitive, and it’s something most viewers can notice while watching. The most well known company producing this data can be found here if you would like to read more about it. (also just google it, there are plenty of helpful articles)

Keita has absolutely incredible packing numbers. Even if most of his passes may look normal, he seems to always find a way to create a slight imbalance between offense and defense. He always picks the most impactful pass to give the attack whatever advantage can be gained based on current defender positioning. If you want to see an example, watch some of his full game highlights and take a look at how many times he is able to breakthrough the midfield “barrier” and push the ball into the space behind midfielders and in front of defenders. If you have watched Liverpool play under Klopp, you know how frustrating it is to watch a team have possession but be unable to exploit those gaps effectively to put pressure on a set defense.

Also as a side note, Sakho has always graded very high in this metric as well. Usually one of the only defenders near the top. It is why everyone on this sub was able to recognize that although his passing is clumsy, it is effective.

‘Packing’ is not in the public domain yet, but to us, seems like a very sensible statistic that recognises the difference between a five-yard sideways pass and one that is actually effective.

At the moment, we only see passes completed and success ratios, but bar from assists, are not privy to detailed insights into how telling a player’s pass is.

Keita seemingly has the ability to take defenders out of the game from midfield, which is exactly what we’re missing. Emre Can can’t do it, and Gini Wijnaldum doesn’t play this kind of ball regularly either.

Against smaller sides last term, we struggled to cross the game-line and often stagnated centrally, while our opponents sat back. Keita is the kind of player who fixes this problem and it’s no surprise Klopp’s happy for Liverpool to pay any price to acquire him.

• Locked thread