Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

hifi posted:

my grandma had one of those radar ranges thats now famous from the diaper guy that microwaves his diapers

..... hm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

graph posted:

..... hm

AOL keyword "pamperchu" if you feel like going down a dark abyss

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

photogrammetry is challenging to do right. I think 1/2" in 48 (2% linear error) isn't too bad.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Ripoff posted:

sorry grandma, I'm gonna have to suffocate you with this pillow for bringing shame to our family by purchasing the same microwave as a dude who nuked his poopy

i was just stating my train of thought whenever i see an old microwave

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ripoff posted:

sorry grandma, I'm gonna have to suffocate you with this pillow for bringing shame to our family by purchasing the same microwave as a dude who nuked his poopy

I did the same when my grandma bought an Android.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

The Management posted:

we kept the arm64 transition hidden pretty well, and that was a much larger project than swift.

I think that might be more because that would've been something obvious, right? Like it's gonna happen eventually, it's not really ~news~
The Intel thing was rumoured since OS X was a thing, although Apple was pretty drat talented at never letting anything substantial actually leak despite having OS X 100% ported for 5 years.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Glazier posted:

My grandmother had a Lucky Goldstar Mircowave she bought in the early 70s, and she was still using it when she died in the early 2000s. Phones may be garbage but the appliances were solid.

This isn't a brand thing this is a date thing.
I have a Dell from 1997 that has survived the case being literally destroyed, left outside in the trash, and 8 years of constant daily use.

Apple IIs have been seen to work despite being literally rusted and thrown to the curb.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

guys the 2014 Wolfenstein game(the new order) is really good once you get past the extremely long and sorta boring intro

i think I'll play The Old Blood too, and I'm hyped for the upcoming Bethesda game

poo poo gets awesome like halfway in which is very long but gently caress Im really enjoying killing nazis again

great game, great game. BJ blaskowicsz owns again

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 29, 2017

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I enjoed the... 2012 one? The one where he had weird powers.
Didn't finish it, but it was fun.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FMguru posted:

good point. also the ppc -> intel transition back in the day

this was telegraphed years in advance -- continued use of Mach-o, iTunes on windows (indicating yellow box is maintained), multiple leaks about an internal x86 port

it was anticlimactic when the developer pentium 4 cheese graters actually landed

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this was telegraphed years in advance -- continued use of Mach-o, iTunes on windows (indicating yellow box is maintained), multiple leaks about an internal x86 port

Mach-o has nothing to do with the intel transition. it's a container format. fat binaries are not even a Mach-o feature, they're a wrapper container.

iTunes on windows was to sell iPods. the iTunes team is completely different from the software organization that did the port. the only reason they had any of that carbon on windows stuff is because they are idiots and can't write portable software.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

SRQ posted:

I think that might be more because that would've been something obvious, right? Like it's gonna happen eventually, it's not really ~news~

uh, what?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
love it when the management lays down facts over everyone else's hosed up theories

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

If you have 32 bit arm, 64 bit arm must be coming eventually? Like I don't get what would be newsy about leaking "Apple is going to iteratively improve their processors."
It feels like leaking "Intel eventually plans to have an 8 core i5".

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
apple was on ppc not x86

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

SRQ posted:

If you have 32 bit arm, 64 bit arm must be coming eventually? Like I don't get what would be newsy about leaking "Apple is going to iteratively improve their processors."
It feels like leaking "Intel eventually plans to have an 8 core i5".

nobody thought arm64 would be coming to phones so soon. it was a complete surprise, and all their competitors were caught flatfooted.

never mind that going from 32- to 64-bit is more than just an iterative improvement.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

Mach-o has nothing to do with the intel transition. it's a container format. fat binaries are not even a Mach-o feature, they're a wrapper container.

deprecating cfm in favor of a format that supported fat binaries

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

deprecating cfm in favor of a format that supported fat binaries

NEXT always used Mach-o, and so it was used when Darwin / OSX was created from it.

CFM was the format for Mac OS classic, which is entirely different from OSX. Classic also supported fat binaries with CFM, which were used for PPC and 68k apps.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

:allears:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
even for apple, it sounds a little crazy that they would still be negotiating prices a month before the announcement

https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/902506542296997890

i hope we at least get a chance to upgrade purchase to uhd

pram
Jun 10, 2001

The Management posted:

NEXT always used Mach-o, and so it was used when Darwin / OSX was created from it.

CFM was the format for Mac OS classic, which is entirely different from OSX. Classic also supported fat binaries with CFM, which were used for PPC and 68k apps.

apple has always been revolutionary

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ufarn posted:

even for apple, it sounds a little crazy that they would still be negotiating prices a month before the announcement

not that crazy, negotiating with those fucks is probably like pulling teeth

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

steve did it better

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Last Chance posted:

steve did it better

:rip:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Touch ID under the glass still a possibility?

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/08/29/apple-patents-sub-display-fingerprint-recognition-technology-based-on-acoustic-imaging

Apple patents sub-display fingerprint recognition technology based on acoustic imaging

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on Tuesday granted Apple a patent for acoustic fingerprint imaging technology accurate enough to replace existing Touch ID optical readers, bolstering rumors that the iPhone home button is not long for this world.

As detailed in Apple's U.S. Patent No. 9,747,488 for an "Active sensing element for acoustic imaging systems," the IP describes a method of gathering biometric data, specifically a fingerprint, through ultrasonic transmission and detection.

Collected fingerprint images, once processed, can be applied to user authentication in much the same way as Touch ID. Unlike Apple's current fingerprint reading hardware, however, acoustic imaging technology does not require optical access to an evaluation target, meaning ultrasonic transducers can be placed beneath operating components like a display.

In practice, the acoustic imaging system described incorporates an array of piezoelectric transducers arranged in a pattern near the bottom surface of a given substrate. Configured to collect image data of an object engaging a top surface of the substrate, like a finger or stylus, these components send out an acoustic pulse toward the top substrate surface.

A portion of the acoustic pulse is reflected off the top substrate back toward the transducer array, where the returning acoustic waves can be parsed to determine the image of a target. More specifically, the pulse is reflected back as a function of whatever object is touching the top substrate.

For example, a finger introduces an acoustic impedance mismatch, otherwise known as an acoustic boundary, between itself and the top surface of a substrate. A fingerprint's ridges and valleys present different acoustic boundaries, soft tissue-substrate and air gap-substrate, respectively, and therefore produce distinct acoustic output to be detected by the sensing elements.

Once collected at the piezoelectric transducer array, reflected acoustic pulses are turned into electrical signals and analyzed. In some embodiments, electrical signals correspond to a single pixel of a larger sub-image. Applied to the example above, pixels corresponding to fingerprint ridges may be lighter than those assigned to valleys.

Apple in its invention notes traditional acoustic imaging systems suffer from a number of limitations. For example, driving piezoelectric elements might have substantially higher electrical requirements compared to sensing with those components. Apple estimates piezoelectric elements are driven by high voltage circuits ranging from 0 to 100 volts, while sensing is performed by low voltage circuits running at 0 to 3.3 volts.

Additionally, due to the commonly high capacitance materials used in manufacturing piezoelectric parts, driving these elements at high voltages can result in damaging current spikes.

To solve these and other potentially fatal architectural flaws, Apple proposes a system of integrated transducer controllers capable of independently operating both drive and sense modes. In some cases, sense/drive chips dedicate one or more sense and drive circuits to an individual transducer. This configuration allows the system granular control over a unit's drive signal, voltage bias and ground reference, effectively turning the transducer package into an "active sensor."

The remainder of today's patent discusses specifics like modes of operation, voltage tolerances, alternative embodiments and other details.

Whether Apple intends to implement the acoustic imaging technology into a shipping product is unclear, though rumors earlier this year suggested the company was looking to debut a sub-screen fingerprint reader in the forthcoming "iPhone 8" handset. An embedded solution would replace the years-old home button, affording space for a full-face OLED display. More recently, however, insiders claim the company has scrapped plans to integrate Touch ID into the next-generation smartphone altogether.

Instead of — or alongside — fingerprint authentication, Apple is widely expected to unveil advanced facial recognition technology powered by new depth-sensing camera hardware. Lines of code unearthed in recently leaked HomePod firmware suggest the so-called "FaceDetect" feature will inform a range of functions, from user authentication to payments.

Apple's acoustic imaging patent was first filed for in August 2015 and credits Mohammad Yeke Yazdandoost, Giovanni Gozzini and Jean-Marie Bussat as its inventors.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
does Apple TV 4 support 4k or will we be waiting for a new generation?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Last Chance posted:

steve did it better
one reason apple has such trouble dealing with the movie/tv studios is that stebe did such a comprehensive job of publicly pantsing the entire music industry that the studios are very leery of letting the same thing happen to them

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Ripoff posted:

rumors say it will support 4K, to be announced in sept maybe

current newest model doesn't

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ripoff posted:

apple tv 4 does not and never will support 4k

apple tv 5 almost certainly will

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Huh, maybe this is why Apple hired the uBeam engineers, and not because they thought that uBeam's idea of ultrasonic powering of devices could be a practical technology.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

ufarn posted:

its me im the guy who's gonna pay 1.5x 4k netflix for a movie

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

netflix 4k quality is rear end

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
its good enough nobody gives a gently caress

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

what bitrate and codec are they using? last I heard was h.264 @ ~25mbit which is maaaaaybe 1080p bluray quality

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

poty posted:

its good enough nobody gives a gently caress

:yeah:

i recently got a 4k tv and its fine, noticeably better than the 1080p streams

you can see the individual pores of the comedians' faces during close ups in stand up

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

:yeah:

i recently got a 4k tv and its fine, noticeably better than the 1080p streams

you can see the individual pores of the comedians' faces during close ups in stand up

can't wait to see a sweaty Tracy Morgan bumbling around stage 😁

ufarn
May 30, 2009

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

what bitrate and codec are they using? last I heard was h.264 @ ~25mbit which is maaaaaybe 1080p bluray quality
the new apple tv will have hevc, and they're doing a combined roll-out for ios/macos along with their new container format(s) i can't remember the name of

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Yeah I know everything is adopting h.265 but that doesn't mean beans if Netflix doesn't use it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Yeah I know everything is adopting h.265 but that doesn't mean beans if Netflix doesn't use it

do you think Netflix would use a format that would save them a ton of bandwidth? I'm going to guess that they will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Aren't they investing in AV1?

• Locked thread