Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Garo's a good boy on the wrong path :(

Murata's a good boy on the right path of drawing Fuboobies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Good chapter. Show me what you got Garo.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

did he one punch every monster once each, or did he one punch every monster with one punch?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

As long as it's no more than one punch per individual monster it is acceptable.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

He failed to onepunch boros

he is a disgrace

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Fartbox posted:

he is a disgrace

they were consecutive one punches

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Fartbox posted:

he is a disgrace

He's not Onepunchman because he must finish the fight in a single punch. He's Onepunchman because he can finish the fight in a single punch.

He doesn't have to, but he can, which is what makes fights so boring. Even with Boros he held back. So far it seems Saitama is basically invulnerable, so why not wait and see if the opponent is a challenge before obliterating their atoms? Give them a fair try, maybe have a thrilling fight?

E: He even got a free trip to the moon out of humoring Boros. That's pretty cool.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The point of One Punch Man is the catharsis of the anti-climax and that's what it'll always be; an answer to the question "wouldn't that be boring?" to the premise of "a main character who can defeat any opponent in one punch."

I didn't think it needed spelling out, but in even watching the show, it has formed a social contract with you. One Punch Man's title itself delivers this promise. Here is your main character. He's never in danger of dying and his punches are so strong that every opponent he fights he will or can take out, with a single punch. Let me entertain you with how this can still be interesting enough to warrant your attention.

This is a main character you don't have to worry about if he'll make it, this is a main character where don't have to ponder if the challenge he faces is too great. This is a man you can pin your hopes and dreams upon, never needing to worry once he's there.

This is an interesting contrast to My Hero Academia where this is played straight with All Might, but there is an interesting overlap. Saitama and All Might are the same kind of character, but the audience and public are flipped around.

Where All Might is known to the reader to have a weakness, the public sees him as an indestructible monster. Saitama in the other hand we know is indestructible, or if you missed that I guess you didn't really understand the joke, but the public sees a weak man, who has cheated his way up.

Point is, Saitama operates differently and it isn't a story about "the match for the one punch character".

One Punch Man is the story about how all your favorite characters in media are One Punch Men.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I never thought about the parallel with All Might, but it's also interesting that they both understand their role as heroes. All Might showing his stronger self to inspire heroes to continue being heroes, and Saitama show his weak self to keep the public's opinion of heroes positive.

Also, please remember, One Punch Man is only the name of the manga. Saitama's hero name is Caped Baldy, which he is still upholding very well.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So I've finally watched this for the first time, the anime anyway, and have a dumb theory about Saitama's strength.

Has he maybe been eating monsters the whole time and experiencing side effects from it? We saw when he beats the seaweed lady he remembers he forgot to pick up seaweed from the grocery store and just cooks her without a second thought. I could totally see him doing that with Crablante as well. Maybe that doesn't explain his power, but maybe that's why he went bald.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SpacePig posted:

Also, please remember, One Punch Man is only the name of the manga. Saitama's hero name is Caped Baldy, which he is still upholding very well.

He does have a cape!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Schwarzwald posted:

He does have a cape!

And, no hair!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

So I've finally watched this for the first time, the anime anyway, and have a dumb theory about Saitama's strength.

Has he maybe been eating monsters the whole time and experiencing side effects from it? We saw when he beats the seaweed lady he remembers he forgot to pick up seaweed from the grocery store and just cooks her without a second thought. I could totally see him doing that with Crablante as well. Maybe that doesn't explain his power, but maybe that's why he went bald.

Why do you need weird theories like this when he told us his secret way earlier. It's not his fault other people can't follow his rigorous training regimen.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

100 push ups, 100 sit ups, 100 squats, and 10km? That's not even that intense!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

There was actually a behelit somewhere in there, but he fried and ate it

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
The "Saitama's power comes from something more than a regular workout routine" theory is so well trodden now, even just in this thread, that it's almost refreshing to see it again.

Here's a question for the idea of Saitama's powers being more than he claims: Would it still be funny? If not, it's probably wrong.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think it would be kind of funny if he's been eating tons of monsters and thinking nothing of it.

Like I said, if it answered the mystery of why he went bald but didn't necessarily have anything to do with his power that would be even funnier.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Al Borland Corp. posted:

100 push ups, 100 sit ups, 100 squats, and 10km? That's not even that intense!

You have to do it EVERY DAY. It takes dedication!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

rage-saq posted:

You have to do it EVERY DAY. It takes dedication!

Surely it would be ok to just skip one day?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Surely it would be ok to just skip one day?

NOT EVEN ONE DAY.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Skipping days is why Genos keeps losing.

Don't be like Genos.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Has genos ever actually won a fight on screen?

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

It's not really his thing

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He blew the poo poo out of the one building, does a fight with a building count?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Didn't he beat one of those animal people? Or am I misremembering?

Also, he might've won against Sonic if Saitama had just let him explode the whole city block.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Actually I guess he did have the Cyborg gorilla pinned in a corner and at his mercy by the time Saitama decided to punch that Lion guy.

So he won at least one fight, but no one saw.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That seems to be the go to theory atm.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

SpacePig posted:

Didn't he beat one of those animal people? Or am I misremembering?

Also, he might've won against Sonic if Saitama had just let him explode the whole city block.

I just watched that episode this morning. He beat Armored Gorilla but the gorilla didn't give up until Saitama held up Beast King's eyeball.

But I guess it wasn't shown.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Kild posted:

That seems to be the go to theory atm.

no it isnt

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

yes it is

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This is the go to theory for Saitama's strength:

He can kill anything in one punch because it's funny

Here's my sources for this:

I have a small degree of reading comprehension.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why did Genos just stand there staring at Boros ship doing absolutely nothing and being completely useless? I hope his rank didn't go up.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Josuke Higashikata posted:

this is the go to theory atm

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

But wouldn't it be funnier if it had an in-universe explanation? Wouldn't it be fun if we took all of the wonder out of things by explaining them?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

This.
This may not be all of the details, but this is the reason. Any additional details that come out will be with the purpose of supporting this reason.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The monster meat doesn't even do anything if it's cooked, as seen with sonic

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

El Burbo posted:

The monster meat doesn't even do anything if it's cooked, as seen with sonic

We haven't seen the result of him eating it I thought. (I'm guessing that 99% that you are right because that's the joke, just not that it was confirmed)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I guess what I'm really trying to get around to it... Could Krillin beat Boros?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Cyborg Gorilla technically, G4, one of those demon kitties, a bunch of MA mooks, Faceripper, and Awakened Cockroach in the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Why did Genos just stand there staring at Boros ship doing absolutely nothing and being completely useless? I hope his rank didn't go up.

IIRC he wanted to, but Tatsumaki got angry at the implication that she needed help.