Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i just watched the tag team gameplay for forces and all i can say is ohhh noooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
two hours left, get your loving running shoes ready.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I'll stop using Clickteam Fusion as soon as they make a program that's easier to make a game in for a retard like me

Honestly, it's not even that easy to use. In a lot of ways, making events in it is way more of a hassle than just writing code.

The thing about MMF is that it was adopted by the Sonic community early on so stuff is often made in it and you have Sonic Worlds ready to go. And if it wasn't for me poking around in Click & Create trying to make Sonic games at age 12 I probably would have never gotten interested in programming.

That said, Game Maker is also a giant mess and GM Sonic engines are usually a mess and I work a full time job and don't really have the time or skills to make a Sonic fan game so the point is kinda moot.

A lot of people don't understand just how hard it is to make good Sonic games and design good levels. It's way more difficult than say, a Mario game, and most people with Super Mario Maker still mess it up.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i still remember when seeing loop de loops in an engine was one of the most amazing thing

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Game Maker is easy to pick up, and you can jump straight in with GML rather than the unwieldy drag and drop, and I say that as someone who has tried 'proper' coding and hated every moment of it. If you just want to play around with 2D game making, Game Maker is great.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Game Maker is easy to pick up, and you can jump straight in with GML rather than the unwieldy drag and drop, and I say that as someone who has tried 'proper' coding and hated every moment of it. If you just want to play around with 2D game making, Game Maker is great.

Agreed. I've never even touched that drag and drop stuff, I just do GML.

ArfJason posted:

i still remember when seeing loop de loops in an engine was one of the most amazing thing

Same. Hell, I remember when people used the default Games Factory movement which was terrible and Sonic would always stop dead after jumping and get stuck on geometry.

So needless to say, Taxman's Retro Sonic and Stealth's Project Mettrix blew my goddamn mind. Those guys were lightyears ahead of everyone else. Out of all the guys trying to make fan games, they were the best of the best. Even when Retro Sonic used Multimedia Fusion is was way more advanced than anything anyone else had done.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The drag n drop is exactly why I still use it tbh. I like being able to prototype something or crank out a game jam game without having to worry about any kind of syntax, compiling, or anything other than visual scripting. Sometimes I barely have to use my keyboard.
GM is leagues better in terms of flexibility and power but it's easier for somebody who is code-adverse to make something in Fusion.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
when the hell is this unlocking

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Gammatron 64 posted:

Same. Hell, I remember when people used the default Games Factory movement which was terrible and Sonic would always stop dead after jumping and get stuck on geometry.

No reason to bring up Sonic 4 in a fangame discussion.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I remember some fan game I played as a kid on Windows 3.1 that had a really badly-drawn Sonic dodging bees and throwing apples to cheesy MIDI tracks. There was also a part where Tails got totally wrecked by a laser and a really out-of-place "OUCH!" sound byte played. That was really great.

It was Click-n-Play or something like that, but I loved it because the idea of downloading free games online was still kind of novel to me.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ArfJason posted:

when the hell is this unlocking

1 hour and 4 minutes I assume

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

1 hour and 4 minutes I assume

Yep, says less than an hour now and the pre-order price ends in fifty five minutes (plus an extra hour, but I assume that is just screwy time zone shenanigans).

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Did it happen?

e: Never mind, SA timestamps don't look like they're adjusted for BST.

Was assuming all posts in the thread were just going too fast for us mere mortals to read

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Enallyniv posted:

Did it happen?

e: Never mind, SA timestamps don't look like they're adjusted for BST.

Was assuming all posts in the thread were just going too fast for us mere mortals to read

It's out!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

:stare: Go go go go go go go

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Go and enjoy the best Sonic game!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Dammit I gotta wait until I get home.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm gonna buy Sonic Mania a second time

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Green Hill Zone down; the secret to a quick win by hitting his underside was pretty cool because of my preconceptions of the boss.

Assuming that wasn't a bug.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Has anyone had the ufo turn around and come back during a chase? Happened to me on emerald five, halfway through the chase it pulled a u turn and came right to me.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Steam Stats
11,868 11,960 Sonic Mania

What a wonderful day to be alive.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Has anyone had the ufo turn around and come back during a chase? Happened to me on emerald five, halfway through the chase it pulled a u turn and came right to me.

It's supposed to turn around if you try to go backwards but there's sometimes bits of track where it thinks you're going backwards, so it comes to you

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

turboraton posted:

Steam Stats
11,868 11,960 Sonic Mania

What a wonderful day to be alive.

are those sales?

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I need to eat dinner before I play because I wanna ramble over my first play of Mania, so I checked the Steam reviews and 90% of the negative ones are just people having small meltdowns about Denuvo DRM.

I'm not exactly a fan of DRM but drat, these nerds haven't even played the game.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Al-Saqr posted:

are those sales?

Current and daily peak of concurrent players :3:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I can't wait for people to figure out ways to datamine Sonic Mania and rip sprites and stuff.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Man as soon as I'm getting paid I'm slamming that Sonic Mania buy button. I don't know how but the trailer makes me so happy every single time.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

So is Denuvo some kind of horrific and huge inconvenience DRM like Uplay for Ubisoft games is?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cant wait to go home and play some Mania, finally. Ive been strong and gifted my copy of sonic to someone who had never played it before so Ive been a good sonic boy.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

A bunch of people are having issues even launching the game, including one of my friends. This blows

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
TWOO WEEKS ARE OVER!

Hahahah THE gently caress was that Chemical Plant Zone boss :psyduck: :perfect: Two zones in and I already love this stupid rear end game.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I almost lost against the Chemical Plant boss; when I said I was bad at that kind of game I mean that my brain just straight up does not see any kind of patterns or anything in there. There's a bunch of blobs and that's as much as I can comprehend.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I almost lost against the Chemical Plant boss; when I said I was bad at that kind of game I mean that my brain just straight up does not see any kind of patterns or anything in there. There's a bunch of blobs and that's as much as I can comprehend.

lol holy poo poo that boss was purposefully made to be as easy as possible so much that if you simply connected 4 color blobs at a time even without combos you can beat him. just make four blobs of the same color connect jeez.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Are you colorblind? I know this comes off as jerkishness, but that sounds like color blindness.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I actually wondered if that boss would be poorly received because it's suddenly a total genre shift, but I realized that even if you were totally lost you could watch what Eggman is doing to figure out how to win.

It is a good boss.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
should this game be automatically sensing my controllers, because it isnt and i dont see any in-game options to choose them

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Currently stuck in Flying Battery. First time through I Game Overed losing about four lives to the Act 2 boss. On subsequent attempts I haven't even reach it.

Oh well, I may like Sonic games but I know full well I'm bad at them :v:. I'm just happy I somehow took a route in Chemical Plant Act 1 that avoided the dreaded rotating stairs section.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I know someone irl who lost to that boss but I practically can't comprehend how that's even possible because you could probably sit there and do nothing and still win. You don't even need to do combos, all you have to do is match 4 of the same color a couple times.

It's the most dumbed down, baby version of puyo puyo possible because they understand that not everyone has played those games

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Wow, people on Steam are very salty about the whole Denuvo thing, and while I had zero issues with any kind of DRM it's a still huge dick move on Sega's part. Guess I'll just keep borrowing my sister's Switch and play it on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Al-Saqr posted:

So is Denuvo some kind of horrific and huge inconvenience DRM like Uplay for Ubisoft games is?

Normally it is not very intrusive, but the Steam reviews claim that it is an always online variant of Denuvo. So that means you can't play it without an internet connection. At all. If this is true, this seems like a very knee-jerk reaction to that leak.