Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Have you played enough that Gold Bagold and other guy (Torres?) are nearly aced? Because last I checked the wiki didn't have what their bonuses are so I think nobody has ever done it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

EthanSteele posted:

Have you played enough that Gold Bagold and other guy (Torres?) are nearly aced? Because last I checked the wiki didn't have what their bonuses are so I think nobody has ever done it.

I just checked. They're on there. Torres reduces the cost of Trust to 10 SP, and Gold casts Iron Wall once when his health gets below 30%.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Godspeed whoever used the two mightiest boys of La Gias enough to ace them.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

On last stage of SRW V

I played this game on easy mode by giving Mazinger Z/Kouji Attacker, SP Recovery, Full Counter and a propellant tank.

Then I just sit back and laughed as enemies committed suicide by trying to kill mazinger zero :allears:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Monaghan posted:

On last stage of SRW V

I played this game on easy mode by giving Mazinger Z/Kouji Attacker, SP Recovery, Full Counter and a propellant tank.

Then I just sit back and laughed as enemies committed suicide by trying to kill mazinger zero :allears:

This is how SRW is meant to be played.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mazinger Zero is seriously one of the most impressively apocalyptic mecha to ever show up in the franchise. It just feels like everything is hosed when it shows up, friend or foe.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Also after finally playing an SRW english, I can finally appreciate some of the ridiculous/badass lines. Kouji's "This is the light of a Mazin, cutting through the Darkness!" is great.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 24, 2017

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
More Second OG incoming shortly.

Edit: stream over, one day we will get out of the Masoukishin morass

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 25, 2017

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Questions about the SD Generation games:
Japanese sources say F is amazing so I want to try it but do I get F or FIF? Is IF a sequel or straight upgrade?
Alternatively, what is the best Generation game? I know 'best' is subjective but I'm hoping for a few good choices to look at.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Genesis is the best from the perspective of "on the PS4" and "in English" if those are important to you. It's UC-only, though, which is certainly a downside, and I know the lack of an original frame story is a deal breaker for people. Sadly, it's the only one I've played, so I can't actually tell you if any of the others are better.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Hokuto posted:

More Second OG incoming shortly.

Edit: stream over, one day we will get out of the Masoukishin morass

I feel like such a weirdo for actually liking masoukishin's characters, story, and setting. Unfortunately the games are always bad. Like, coffin of the end was so close to being an actual fun game and then the last quarter had to happen.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I find it hard to quantify my feelings on the Masoukishin stuff because they've always been my biggest blind spot in the franchise. A lot of that is probably just my inability to get into any of it.

Something about the whole cast feels archaic in ways none of the other reused OG characters do, and the fact that they're usually so isolated from everything else happening just doesn't help. I don't hate the magical element robot idea but other than Granzon and Cybuster I can't even remember what any of those robots look like.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
I think the anchor of Winkysoft is to blame for all of that, really. I hope they can continue to appear in games and just ignore the Masoukishin plots from now on like they did in Moon Dwellers.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Mio and Tytti can come back because they're cool and so are their familiars. Yang can come back but only so his cat can dunk on people he doesn't have to get in his robot or anything.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ryoga posted:

I feel like such a weirdo for actually liking masoukishin's characters, story, and setting. Unfortunately the games are always bad. Like, coffin of the end was so close to being an actual fun game and then the last quarter had to happen.

I loving love everything Masoukishin despite never actually finishing any of their games. I just feel the wind of La Gias.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
It kinda feels like it wants to be a proper Fire Emblem story more than a SRW one sometimes. Most times. Whenever any Prince, Princess, or Shu Shirakawa is around.

Which isn't actually a bad look, but man is that cast of characters bloated. No room for Masaki's time-traveling kids.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm going to be doing more 2nd OG in a few minutes. Incidentally, you can PM me here or speak up in Twitch chat if you'd like to join the Skype call.

edit: Stream over, but next time I will figure out a partner worthy to twin up with Gold Bagold

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 26, 2017

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Getsuya posted:

Japanese sources say F is amazing so I want to try it but do I get F or FIF? Is IF a sequel or straight upgrade?
F IF is a fandisc / expansion pack so you actually want both.

IIRC the save data can be used within both games at the same time and it's actually suggested to create the save file using F IF before going to the F content because it drops you a stronger starting party or something

quote:

Alternatively, what is the best Generation game? I know 'best' is subjective but I'm hoping for a few good choices to look at.
F is cool in a sort of Alpha 1 kind of way where you can see a whole bunch of stuff they were experimenting in, even if they don't always turn out well.

I like Spirits because it's fairly comprehensive for a UC-only treatment at the time (so no Unicorn) and UC-only means something different from regular SRW since they go out of their way to use obscure sidestory Novels and all that, so it doesn't hit the same "Man, Zeta and Nu again?" notes that SRW falls into.

I think the very next game is Wars which is also fine if you really must have non-UC stuff, but the design decisions start to get a little wonky because they never quite pin down how exactly AU units are supposed to fit in the tech line in terms of power level.

I would personally kind of avoid the games from when they introduced the Generation Break mechanic, which I can't remember when the first incarnation was, but I want to say it was the PSP ones. It turns every stage into essentially SRW J where you have to wipe 3-4 reinforcements spawn in different directions which is urgh.

You might also want to check out the Pre-3DS Nintendo games like DS and Cross Drive, which play more like a Super Robot Wars games (complete with Spirit Command like effects, though they've been simplified)

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I'll see if I can get a hold of Spirits, Wars and DS. Those all sound pretty good. F too, mainly because it's cheap so why not.
Cross Drive got Kusoge of the Year 2007 in Japan though so maybe not that one.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Cross Drive is not very good for a bunch of reasons. Regular DS one is better and has Super Newtype Kai Shiden in the Nu as part of one of the stories.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not sure Kusogame of the Year is appropriate for Cross Drive. It's not a good game by any means but largely because it's boring as hell and unnecessarily gimmick'd. I absolutely can't recommend buying it but it isn't even exceptionally bad or anything. The only noteworthy thing I can remember about it is that one of the routes has the original characters ending up with Hyperion and Dreadnaught Gundams and getting an game-exclusive combo attack. That's... the only significantly memorable thing in the entire game.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

I'm partial to SD Gundam G Generation Overworld. I really got a lot of fun out of that game, there's just poo poo-tons of mobile suits and stuff to do.

There's also a really comprehensive English fan patch available here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/sd-gundam-g-generation-overworld-english-translation.369219/

The same thread has a link to an HD texture pack which you can use if you're emulating the game on PPSSPP.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
More 2nd OG happening!

edit: stream over, clear up to stage 16 so one more Masoukishin stage to go

Honorable mention to Blockhouse for "A bold bagold strategy"

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 28, 2017

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Sweet, I was able to find SD G Generations DS and Spirits for about $10 a piece shipped on EBay. If I order them when I get home they should be here by the weekend.

Edit: Question. Do these games have coherent plots like a SRW game? Overworld seemed to be mostly random vignettes from different Gundam shows rather than having an actual story arc.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 28, 2017

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Okay, getting out of Masoukishin forever (until Dark Prison) in my 2nd OG stream

edit: stream over

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 29, 2017

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I know I'm much less knowledgeable and interesting / playing a more overplayed game, but I am about halfway through a second play of SRW V and streaming tonight if you're bored enough! (or would we rather not have any rando posting streams in this thread? I understand if so!)

https://www.smashcast.tv/cryomancer or https://www.twitch.tv/cryomancer

I have the DLC as well if there's any burning desire to see a specific DLC played.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 29, 2017

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Light Gun Man posted:

I know I'm much less knowledgeable and interesting / playing a more overplayed game, but I am about halfway through a second play of SRW V and streaming tonight if you're bored enough! (or would we rather not have any rando posting streams in this thread? I understand if so!)

Look, there's only so much Gold Bagold the thread can take in a single page

(also honorable mention to Nages and our good friend Jowy for making that image happen)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That's a good picture.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Light Gun Man posted:

https://www.smashcast.tv/cryomancer or https://www.twitch.tv/cryomancer

I have the DLC as well if there's any burning desire to see a specific DLC played.

I for one welcome SRW and other vaguely SRW related game streams in this thread so more of us can hang out and create terrible memes.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Getsuya posted:

Edit: Question. Do these games have coherent plots like a SRW game? Overworld seemed to be mostly random vignettes from different Gundam shows rather than having an actual story arc.
DS has an original crossover plot while the rest of the games are direct "important battles from the source material" which is kind of nice for some series like Hathaway Flash where I don't know if I would actually like reading it in novel form.

I think the later games has an implied meta-plot that it's a computer simulation or something.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Are the Gundam novelizations good? I don't have time to sit and watch all the UC series but I want to be able to enjoy the famous battles in G Generation Spirits.

I found a Japanese reading order and it looks like most of the main stuff is available on Kindle which will make it easy for me to read them quickly.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Hokuto posted:

Okay, getting out of Masoukishin forever (until Dark Prison) in my 2nd OG stream

edit: stream over

He's so thoughtful and refunds all money on spent on him! What a friendly guy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Getsuya posted:

Are the Gundam novelizations good? I don't have time to sit and watch all the UC series but I want to be able to enjoy the famous battles in G Generation Spirits.

I found a Japanese reading order and it looks like most of the main stuff is available on Kindle which will make it easy for me to read them quickly.

The Gundam novelizations are... interesting. I'm not sure I can call them good but they represent a very different look at the series and its themes while also being the basis for a lot of stuff that would follow afterwards. (Gundam novel references appear in stuff as recent as X Astray and Age for example.) They're not a great way to view the original Gundam however as they go in very different directions and the characters go to very different places.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Yeah, the novels aren't going to be a good way to get your info on stuff in G Gen games because very few (if any) are based on the novel versions. There are characters that survive through multiple tv series that get killed off in the first third of the novel version, for example.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Well crap. And of course the only UC show on Crunchy is Unicorn. I don't want to shell out $80 a series to watch the blurays.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Aren't a bunch of UC shows on the official Gundaminfo YouTube channel?

EDIT: I see at least Zeta, ZZ, and Unicorn Re:0096 on there, though I don't know if they're available to all regions.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 29, 2017

KoB
May 1, 2009
Gundam Info rotates them in and out I believe.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I wish there were more mecha novels/light novels. Are there even any, aside from the Gundam novels and Full Metal Panic?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Getsuya posted:

I wish there were more mecha novels/light novels. Are there even any, aside from the Gundam novels and Full Metal Panic?
heavy object, kinda?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
If I remember right, didn't SRW A consider the Gundam novels to be the Shadow Mirror version of the Gundam stories? They don't get used directly, but it's a fun shoutout.

• Locked thread