Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/902560978960830469
https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/902553430065065984
https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/902545880825425921
Surprising no one the Other top three is the Lu family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wonder how long they can steadfastly refuse to have Diao Chan and Lingqi ever interact with each other.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Is Diao Chan supposed to be her mother because I have all but forgotten most things about that :(

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Lu Bu will definitely win but I'll be actually mad if Zhao Yun makes it to the top 3

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
you already know Zhao Yun will make it in the top 3

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Lunethex posted:

Is Diao Chan supposed to be her mother because I have all but forgotten most things about that :(

Diao Chan is very notably not Lu Linqi's mother. Which is why so far they've basically never interacted, koei has no idea how to write a relationship between the two of them

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Sefal posted:

you already know Zhao Yun will make it in the top 3

And I'm going to be mad about it

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Diao Chan is very notably not Lu Linqi's mother. Which is why so far they've basically never interacted, koei has no idea how to write a relationship between the two of them

Honestly, that's how they should write them; Diao Chan's the "new/other woman" (institutionalized polygamy makes this poo poo werd) in Lu Bu's life, so of course his daughter's going to feel weird about her and try to maintain distance. The standard "meet your new mom, kids" stuff writes itself.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/902606276575641600

Dong Zhuo dead last. Jin out tomorrow. Everyone congratulate Wang Yuanji on her win pre-emptively!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Wang Yuanji deserves 1st. :colbert:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Aww come on, how'd a non-present weirdo like Zuo Ci get more votes than Meng Huo and Zhang Jiao combined?

Takoluka posted:

Wang Yuanji deserves 1st. :colbert:
Please, she's not even the best woman in Jin.

Zhang Chunhua deserves to take it all :colbert:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Expect her and Sima Yi to be in similar positions, regardless. Either high up or down low(As people put the sons above them). Though I'd also expect a decent showing for Jia Chong. The wild card is probably Zhong Hui.

(Now watch me be utterly wrong, as all such tipsters are.)

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I'll take my top faves and best men Meng Huo and Zhang Jiao not being dead last.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Urdnot Fire posted:

Aww come on, how'd a non-present weirdo like Zuo Ci get more votes than Meng Huo and Zhang Jiao combined?

I dunno I'd put Zuo Ci above Meng Huo, but not Zhang Jiao.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Hope Xiahou Ba finishes last for Jin, because everyone else in the faction owns on at least one level, and usually several. I mean, take Guo Huai. Motherfucker may look like he's about to keel over any second, but he carries around a gatling tonfa, wrestles tigers for fun, and can kill dudes by coughing on them.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I'm surprised Zhang Jiao isn't higher. The VA knocks it out of the park every game by just gleefully hamming it up.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Drakenel posted:

I'm surprised Zhang Jiao isn't higher. The VA knocks it out of the park every game by just gleefully hamming it up.

He suffers from having a smaller role in the larger story, I think.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Was 5 the first game Zuo Ci was playable? He got his own 8 mission arc, which only the 3 faction heads got. I played the gently caress out of him. Helped that he was super overpowered, his musou went on for a silly amount of time. And his uh, fourth charge attack?, fired 360 lasers which penetrated enemies for obscene damage. I'll always have a soft spot for him.

I think a problem almost all of the Others suffer from are their arcs happening super early on before the three kingdoms fires up.

The Zhang Jiao voice actor really hams it up, it's great. One game they should have him voice Zhuge Liang or Cao Cao.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Started playing DW8 again, and the new voice actor of Zhang Liao is still atrocious.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Why can't I be horse?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 30, 2017

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

that gave me a good laugh when I ran into it last night.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Is there any reason whatsoever I'd want to pickup warriors all stars when I haven't finished Fate/Extella and the Sanada game? It seems really mediocre.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

No.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

KoldPT posted:

Is there any reason whatsoever I'd want to pickup warriors all stars when I haven't finished Fate/Extella and the Sanada game? It seems really mediocre.

I didn't get to play past the first real mission last night, but the basic gameplay felt fine and along the lines of Pirate Warriors 3, and it's got a few new systems like a super mode that turns all the enemy swords into idol concert glow sticks. It doesn't have any indication of a non-story mode initially, but maybe one opens up later. Probably file it under worth a look if you like the characters or it's on a decent sale, based on initial impressions.

Sadly no Bo Jackson.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/902968680748683264

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Not surprised

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am so shocked.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Part of me is vaguely surprised Sima Zhao ranked as high as he did, but yes no surprise otherwise.

Also why the hell is Xiahou Ba still a 'Jin' character, isn't his entire schtick 'I'm afraid of my life so I'm defecting to Shu'?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Airspace posted:

Part of me is vaguely surprised Sima Zhao ranked as high as he did, but yes no surprise otherwise.

Also why the hell is Xiahou Ba still a 'Jin' character, isn't his entire schtick 'I'm afraid of my life so I'm defecting to Shu'?

Because they really need characters to pad Jin's lineup. Also probably because Shu's story doesn't take place at a time when he was old enough to do anything.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
No they don't Yuanji is already padded enough

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I'm real upset machine gun canon man is second to last. People are the worst.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

What's bad about musou all stars exactly?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Seems fine to me, so far. Although, it decides that instead of having a long story it just has 20 endings or something. And most battles outside of the story ones are basically Raid battles from the Empires games.

It starts out feeling like it'll take a while, like you have to collect more heroes a la Warriors Orochi, but then it just goes "Here, you're far enough along. Just have the rest." So you go from having 8-10 heroes to having 30 all of a sudden.

But it's fun otherwise. Dunno why there are furry people, though.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm interested in trying one of these games but I'm completely lost as to where to begin and the OP is 3-5 years old. Whats the best option thats currently available on the PS4?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I'm interested in trying one of these games but I'm completely lost as to where to begin and the OP is 3-5 years old. Whats the best option thats currently available on the PS4?

you'll get a lot of conflicting opinions but imo the best warriors-style "modern beat-em-up" at this time is one piece pirate warriors 3. samurai warriors 4 (set in feudal japan) is the latest one in its series, i think dynasty warriors 9 is the most recent one for the three kingdoms setting.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

people were hoping that it was basically gonna be Warriors Orochi 4 with other interesting Koei characters but instead it's generic musou with a bunch of characters that a lot of western fans just don't give a gently caress about.

I mean, I was never gonna buy it once we learned there was no Bo Jackson, but w/e

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Buy either DW8XL, or SW4-II. Both games are pretty alright starting points, and are both not too expensive to get right now.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If I had one thing that's kinda bugging me about All Stars so far, it's that I would like the camera to be zoomed out and raised up a bit more. It feels a bit too close and low, and makes using Christophorus pretty annoying because her tubas block a lot of the screen.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

'tubas' eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

TheFlyingLlama posted:

people were hoping that it was basically gonna be Warriors Orochi 4 with other interesting Koei characters but instead it's generic musou with a bunch of characters that a lot of western fans just don't give a gently caress about.

I mean, I was never gonna buy it once we learned there was no Bo Jackson, but w/e

The football/baseball player Bo Jackson? :confused:

Anyway, I played a little bit of DW8XL tonight (the PC version). I started off with the Wei campaign, and I've made it up to Chapter 6. I still don't feel like I have the best grasp on the game so far. I don't really feel like I have an issue with combat, and I sometimes am not sure where to go immediately during a mission, but it seems like there's a lot to the game and I haven't really scratched the surface of it. I've collected weapons during battle, and when equipping characters, I aim for the weapons that have the most compatibility. However, there's apparently 1200 weapons, and a blacksmith available at the start of some missions, so I don't know how in-depth the weapon system goes.

That aside, so far the game feels a little...repetitive, I guess? I've heard the criticism that Musou games get a little samey, but I wonder if it just because I haven't looked at the other modes yet.

Also, I'll have to test it again to see if it happens, but I had a weird control glitch (not really sure what it was) where if I clicked both control sticks down at the same time, the game would just suddenly return to the main menu, causing me to lose my progress. Is that normal, or is it possible I have DS4Windows set up in some weird way?