Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If you distrust people so completely that you need to disrupt their home maybe landlordism isn't for you.

No one is saying that.

It's really just the fact that renters, not owning the real estate in which they live, are largely not allowed to unilaterally change the locks on said real estate without the owner's knowledge and approval, and should get a key so they can access the property when it's empty, between renters and such. Granted, between renters a landlord can and should change the locks anyway.

Again renters have rights, and that includes the right to privacy and not having even the owner enter the home without their knowledge or consent.

If you could just do whatever you wanted to a house you didn't own, though, no homeowners would ever rent out homes in the first place. It's a balance clearly stated in the lease agreement, what the owner can and can't do and what the renter can and can't do.

IOW a landlord having a key to the house doesn't mean he or she can barge in whenever they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

life is killing me posted:

No one is saying that.

It's really just the fact that renters, not owning the real estate in which they live, are largely not allowed to unilaterally change the locks on said real estate without the owner's knowledge and approval, and should get a key so they can access the property when it's empty, between renters and such. Granted, between renters a landlord can and should change the locks anyway.

Again renters have rights, and that includes the right to privacy and not having even the owner enter the home without their knowledge or consent.

If you could just do whatever you wanted to a house you didn't own, though, no homeowners would ever rent out homes in the first place. It's a balance clearly stated in the lease agreement, what the owner can and can't do and what the renter can and can't do.

IOW a landlord having a key to the house doesn't mean he or she can barge in whenever they want.

As far as I know there is no law requiring landlords have access to property that's been rented out. You can change the locks all you want as long as you didn't sign a lease with that stipulation in there, that would be a breach of contract and could be used as a basis for terminating a lease. However if they don't write it down and have you sign you are under no obligation to allow your landlord access to your home.

As you say though your landlord having a key does not give them the right to enter your home without notice, there are laws about that in most states. If you have a problem with your landlord entering without notice this would fall under normal trespassing laws etc.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I've not suggested renters do anything to their homes without their landlord's permission, but I see no reason for a landlord to have a key to someone else's home, and certainly no reason to be angry with the renter for taking steps to secure their home, when they have legal rights to enter and so on when required.

It's in the landlord's interest to have a renter in their property who values security.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I've not suggested renters do anything to their homes without their landlord's permission, but I see no reason for a landlord to have a key to someone else's home, and certainly no reason to be angry with the renter for taking steps to secure their home, when they have legal rights to enter and so on when required.

It's in the landlord's interest to have a renter in their property who values security.

Renters are definitely allowed to make changes to their home, but how much you can change varies based on the rental agreement. Landlords hate that their tenants are allowed to do what they want, that's why you hear people spreading lies and misinformation about this poo poo.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 29, 2017

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

ElCondemn posted:

Renters are definitely allowed to make changes to their home, but how much you can change varies based on the rental agreement. Landlords hate that their tenants are allowed to do what they want, that's why you hear people spreading lies and misinformation about this poo poo.

Thanks for that. And heartening to hear. These are homes first and investments second. If you aren't happy with that then make your money elsewhere, because people still need homes.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Thanks for that. And heartening to hear. These are homes first and investments second. If you aren't happy with that then make your money elsewhere, because people still need homes.

Go take a peek at forums for landlords, they're really vile. They talk about people like they're animals and they brag about stiffing their tenants on their deposits for bullshit reasons.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ElCondemn posted:

As far as I know there is no law requiring landlords have access to property that's been rented out. You can change the locks all you want as long as you didn't sign a lease with that stipulation in there

That's actually not the case in most states, from my searching. You either need written prior approval or you have to provide a key on demand, depending on the state.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

That's actually not the case in most states, from my searching. You either need written prior approval or you have to provide a key on demand, depending on the state.

Please link the laws you're referencing, I've been a landlord in a few states and I'm not aware of any laws that require your landlord have a spare key. I also did a cursory google search just in case my experience was unique, but I didn't find any laws that stated anything like this.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

ElCondemn posted:

Go take a peek at forums for landlords, they're really vile. They talk about people like they're animals and they brag about stiffing their tenants on their deposits for bullshit reasons.

I've had some experience.

A 'funny' one. A few years back I helped my little brother move out of a rented apartment. We spent a weekend cleaning this very small place. They emailed to say they would be keeping his deposit because it hadn't been satisfactorily cleaned. An image they had the nerve to send as evidence:

Some thread in a I dunno velvet wastepaper basket. Scum.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I've had some experience.

A 'funny' one. A few years back I helped my little brother move out of a rented apartment. We spent a weekend cleaning this very small place. They emailed to say they would be keeping his deposit because it hadn't been satisfactorily cleaned. An image they had the nerve to send as evidence:

Some thread in a I dunno velvet wastepaper basket. Scum.

I hope your brother got his money back, landlords are generally pieces of poo poo.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

There's lots of lovely landlords out there. There are also many lovely tenants who treat property they don't own like complete poo poo. Neither is okay.

No one should be treated like an animal. Renters have rights. But those rights are not only subject to the agreement, they are also in most cases subject to the stipulations on the promulgated forms and and state and national real estate laws governing leases.

Landlords have a vested interest in making money off their investment though, so they have a right to not have their property treated like poo poo too. Most good landlords of course want renters to want to stay there and have a place to live like anyone else, so it's in their best interest to not act like dicks and treat renters with the dignity and respect due them as human beings. In the same vein it's the responsibility of a property owner and landlord to thoroughly vet potential tenants to avoid people who treat others' property like a trash heap.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ElCondemn posted:

Please link the laws you're referencing, I've been a landlord in a few states and I'm not aware of any laws that require your landlord have a spare key. I also did a cursory google search just in case my experience was unique, but I didn't find any laws that stated anything like this.

"New York tenant change lock" got me this, which cites Alaska and NY law: http://blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_life/2012/05/is-it-legal-to-change-the-locks-on-a-rental-house.html

In California and NJ, the lease has to state that the landlord gets a key.

In Colorado the tenant can't install locks without permission (can't find a link to statute, but same claim unrebutted in many places). In Florida they can, it seems.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm sure it has that boilerplate. The super could climb in through the window if he wanted, but worst case in an emergency I guess they would drill it out and I would pay for a replacement. The super knows he doesn't have my key and he's fine with it.

I have plenty of renters' insurance, but a young woman living alone that's not my biggest concern.

Yeah, that's sensible. Getting a deadbolt that you can only lock from the inside seems like it would avoid most of the issues.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

There's lots of lovely landlords out there. There are also many lovely tenants who treat property they don't own like complete poo poo. Neither is okay.

No one should be treated like an animal. Renters have rights. But those rights are not only subject to the agreement, they are also in most cases subject to the stipulations on the promulgated forms and and state and national real estate laws governing leases.

Landlords have a vested interest in making money off their investment though, so they have a right to not have their property treated like poo poo too. Most good landlords of course want renters to want to stay there and have a place to live like anyone else, so it's in their best interest to not act like dicks and treat renters with the dignity and respect due them as human beings. In the same vein it's the responsibility of a property owner and landlord to thoroughly vet potential tenants to avoid people who treat others' property like a trash heap.

Have you seen the movie 'Coming to America' with Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall? In it the renters are richer than the landlord. I wonder whose side you would come down on in any disputes here?

I suspect, the renters. Now imagine all renters are Eddie Murphy.

I am being a bit silly, sorry, but my point I suppose is that you may not see renters as animals but you certainly see them in a certain way and it seems to have to do with assuming their home ownership status equates to their moral standing and how their propensity for treating things like poo poo needs to be guarded against.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Yeah, that's sensible. Getting a deadbolt that you can only lock from the inside seems like it would avoid most of the issues.
I also have a chain on the door. But I mean it's not just "stranger bursts in at 2 am bent on rape," it's all the smaller bullshit possibilities. Like a few years ago, I started a load of laundry in the laundromat, and instead of sitting next to the washer, I went back to my apartment to start dinner. When my timer went off, I went back to the laundromat aaaaaand all of my underwear was gone. It wasn't like traumatizing, but it was a real pain in the rear end and a surprising amount of money that was a lot at the time. And I could never leave the laundromat again.

So the equivalent here is all the smaller stories I've heard a million of: you could have sworn you left a $20 on your desk, your security camera turns up someone coming in and jerking off in your underwear drawer, you find a hidden camera, etc. The chance of it happening is relatively small, but I prefer a 0% chance.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

This seems like it might be one of those convoluted foreign time travel movies where it turns out actually it was you that stole all your underwear from the machine to avoid it later being desecrated in your drawer. I would advise against the fitting of any deadbolts as it's bound to screw you up on the fourth or fifth iteration when you need to avoid yourself.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Surely in that case it would be more important to keep all the keys for myself

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Which self?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

If I know anything about time travel it's not to keep all the keys to myself. You will end up needing that key and I'd much rather murder someone else rather than me to get it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I think this is the kind of time travel where your possessions don't come through with you. That would explain all the nudity and the missing underwear as well as the need to hoard keys

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I would hope for that eventuality. The alternative would seem to be a reality where you were able to amass an impossible, time bending underwear fortune that leads to an eventual reveal of you being your own landlady just as you sink a dagger into your own, possibly, depending on the state, trespassing back.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

ElCondemn posted:

Go take a peek at forums for landlords, they're really vile.
Dang, misread that the first time and got my hopes up for a SA landlord thread...

ElCondemn posted:

I've been a landlord in a few states.

ElCondemn posted:

landlords are generally pieces of poo poo.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Have you seen the movie 'Coming to America' with Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall? In it the renters are richer than the landlord. I wonder whose side you would come down on in any disputes here?

I suspect, the renters. Now imagine all renters are Eddie Murphy.

I am being a bit silly, sorry, but my point I suppose is that you may not see renters as animals but you certainly see them in a certain way and it seems to have to do with assuming their home ownership status equates to their moral standing and how their propensity for treating things like poo poo needs to be guarded against.

I've been a (lovely) renter and I own a home now. I have no interest in ever being a landlord because I was a renter once and know it can be a pain in the rear end for both parties. I certainly don't see renters as less than me or anyone else. Those who rent versus own certainly have their reasons, be it just living somewhere temporarily or because they don't want to own a home or whatever it might be.

Since there is already protection in place for renters so that landlords don't just walk into a home and trespass, why would you deny the landlord a key in case they need it unless YOU don't trust THEM? It goes both ways, so I guess I was countering what I perceived to be your belief that a landlord is a dick and will just enter the house without permission just because they own it. I don't actually disagree with what I think is your point--given what I just said, landlords are signing away the right to just enter their property without the tenants' knowledge and permission, so don't really need a key. I was disagreeing more with the idea of making them have to change the locks again just to get access to their own home once tenants have moved out, because that's the only reason I think that not only should renters ask before changing locks, but that they should also give a copy of the keys to the landlord so they will have it later, not to give them free reign to enter the home whenever they want.

Please forgive me if I have given you this idea that I think renters are somehow less than. I don't think so, I was just nitpicking one of your finer points and doing a bad job of it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Oh to be clear, I'm not leaving the deadbolt and taking the key, that would be crazy. When I leave, I'm taking the deadbolt and key for my next place, and the landlord will have the door in exactly its original state, with just the knob lock and a bunch of holes (that predate me) where a deadlock fits.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

No worries. I have, without doubt, brought my own prejudices into the matter, and whilst I feel comfortable having done so, acknowledge I was being a bit of a knob.

Mainly I'm acting out because I'm annoyed Windows has decided to lock me out faffing about updating for over three hours now. I own this laptop, how dare it! Hypocritical I know.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

HycoCam posted:

Dang, misread that the first time and got my hopes up for a SA landlord thread...

I should clarify.... I am a piece of poo poo.

But also I meant complex manager, just did things like change locks install/replace blinds, mow lawns, replace sprinkler heads etc., I didn't own poo poo.

I was disagreeing more with the idea of making them have to change the locks again just to get access to their own home once tenants have moved out, because that's the only reason I think that not only should renters ask before changing locks, but that they should also give a copy of the keys to the landlord so they will have it later, not to give them free reign to enter the home whenever they want.

It's not really a problem, replacing locks and carpets and other poo poo after someone moves out is just part of the expense of renting property. It's one incentive for a landlord to sign long leases, less expensive in the long run (unless your area sees massive growth in a short amount of time).

Also is the time travel movie that's being referenced TimeCrimes?

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 29, 2017

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
My Dad and I took the roof (trusses and all) off my one-storey house a few weeks ago, and have added a new second storey which is now sufficiently permanent that I can mention this here without risking becoming a legendary figure of comedy, house-collapsing fun. A timber-frame second storey on top of a traditional, century-old double-skin brick-built ground floor made for much preparation and several days of getting the wall-plate just right but it worked.

We were going to erect the kit ourselves but the kit manufacturers had four joiners between jobs so they made an insanely-low offer. Considering how wet the summer has been (the neighbouring farmer called the day after we took the roof off "the wettest day I've ever seen here", and he is seventy), I'm glad we accepted their bid because every day of pouring rain made me fear for our possessions, below.

Challenges dealt with so far include: power entering house via one of two chimneys that needed removed; front right corner of house, including our future wall-plate, suffering from decades of subsidence; needing to join upstairs bathroom to existing clay soil-pipes leading via unknown route to who knows where (still don't, and not asking so we don't have to lie to building control if it just seeps into a nearby orphanage or something); finding where on the hill the water came from; building a miniature water-treatment plant for said water and dealing with the fact that the head on our supply was two metres lower than the water tank location; mating the windows we made from lumber to the kit; our roofer getting a hernia...

We're now finishing the cladding (Siberian larch) and initial plumbing before putting the ceiling plasterboard and internal partitions up. The dream is that one day my roofer returns and the breathable membrane stops having to act as a roof.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
People seem to be conflating "having the right to enter property you own and are renting to a tenant" with "having the ability to enter property you own should an emergency arise" -- there is a difference. Under most circumstances there is no reason or a landlord to enter a an apartment unannounced / without the tenant present, and doing so should be discouraged/subject to penalty. However, there are absolutely circumstances where it is important that the landlord, who is responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of the property, be able to access it. If you're fine with them drilling your locks in the case of an emergency then you should be fine with them not having to drill them as well. Obviously the renter has a perverse incentive towards the former because they are not responsible for the property damage that is done.

I lived in a 6-story condo for almost a decade. We had our own keys, but we also had to leave a key on file in the main office. This was right and good because there are lots of circumstances where an issue within one unit can suddenly become an issue for the entire building. Pipes may leak... actually most examples I can think of are plumbing-related. In fact, here's one concrete case:

One day they shut off the water to the building to do some water main supply work. People would forget, turn on their faucets, and then say "oh right, they turned off the water" and then go about their business. Well one tenant did this, neglected to turn the faucet back off, then left town for the weekend. Apparently when they turned the water back on, her kitchen sink started filling. Whatever dishes she was going to wash must have covered the drain, causing the water to overflow the sink, then the counters, and begin filling the entire condo. This was eventually noticed when water began dripping down the light fixtures in the main lobby.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Hubis posted:

If you're fine with them drilling your locks in the case of an emergency then you should be fine with them not having to drill them as well.
That makes zero sense. I'm fine with them drilling my locks in a noisy, public way, because I'm confident they would only do that in a real emergency. I'm not fine with my keys being stored in an unlocked, untended cabinet in a public area where anyone passing by can help themselves anytime for any reason.

I don't get why people are having such issues with this when it's legal here and my super is totally fine with it.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

That makes zero sense. I'm fine with them drilling my locks in a noisy, public way, because I'm confident they would only do that in a real emergency. I'm not fine with my keys being stored in an unlocked, untended cabinet in a public area where anyone passing by can help themselves anytime for any reason.

I don't get why people are having such issues with this when it's legal here and my super is totally fine with it.

It just depends where it is. For homes, some are managed by property managers and the keys are stored in the office in a locked box only the boss has access to. Other times it's just a landlord managing it and they have keys as well. My dad kept the keys to his properties in a safe and didn't even give the combo to me when I was working for him, not that I needed it because the only times I went in a house were when they were between renters and he would open the safe and get me the correct key and log when I took it and returned it. He didn't have a property manager, he just cared enough to do things that way.

For apartment buildings and condos, it's standard procedure for the management company to keep the keys in a lockbox or safe afaik. Like you, they don't want people just waltzing in and grabbing keys. It'd be bad for business.

Your concern is understandable though. You don't see where they keep the keys or how secure they are, so in that case I'd also be fine with them drilling locks if they needed in.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm not fine with my keys being stored in an unlocked, untended cabinet in a public area where anyone passing by can help themselves anytime for any reason.

Neither am I? :confused:

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

It's pretty typical for a landlord to have legal right of entry upon reasonable notice (usually 2 or 3 days) during reasonable hours, in most states. It's their property, they have a right to enter to make repairs, upgrades, inspections etc. This is regardless of whether they have a key to the property so that part is kind of superfluous, but I'm guessing that if they give notice and you aren't there at the time they've designated and the locks have been changed without providing them a key they have every right to drill the lock.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

For apartment buildings and condos, it's standard procedure for the management company to keep the keys in a lockbox or safe afaik. Like you, they don't want people just waltzing in and grabbing keys. It'd be bad for business.

Your concern is understandable though. You don't see where they keep the keys or how secure they are, so in that case I'd also be fine with them drilling locks if they needed in.
No, I see exactly where they keep the keys and how secure they are. They're on a pegboard in the super's room in the unlocked basement.

Hubis posted:

Neither am I? :confused:
Okay, well, that's why I'm fine with them drilling in an emergency but not fine with giving them a key!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
One perfectly good reason I always need the key, what if the apartment downstairs says your apartment is leaking water into theirs, or it smells like a George Foreman grill was left plugged in, yet the renters are at work and you can't reach them? Common sense poo poo like that and I've had both happen.

ElCondemn posted:

landlords are generally pieces of poo poo.

Funny story, I'm a landlord and one time I let a goon who was facing imminent homelessness live rent-free in one of my unrented apartments for six months. I only asked that he kept it clean.

I checked up on him a few months in and the entire house was a foot-deep of him not taking a single garbage bag out of the house but just stacking them up, with lots of sardine cans and discarded eggshells strewn about the floors.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a piece of poo poo, but plenty of tenants just don't have the mental capacity to get their poo poo together either.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Zero VGS posted:

One perfectly good reason I always need the key, what if the apartment downstairs says your apartment is leaking water into theirs, or it smells like a George Foreman grill was left plugged in, yet the renters are at work and you can't reach them? Common sense poo poo like that and I've had both happen.

Funny story, I'm a landlord and one time I let a goon who was facing imminent homelessness live rent-free in one of my unrented apartments for six months. I only asked that he kept it clean.

I checked up on him a few months in and the entire house was a foot-deep of him not taking a single garbage bag out of the house but just stacking them up, with lots of sardine cans and discarded eggshells strewn about the floors.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a piece of poo poo, but plenty of tenants just don't have the mental capacity to get their poo poo together either.

So where did you bury the body parts? Seriously, though, did you evict him on the spot?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

So where did you bury the body parts? Seriously, though, did you evict him on the spot?

Legends say he still posts to this day...

I actually went easy on him since I wanted him out without him trying any funny business like squatters rights. He did leave without incident and my Mom who was helping me clean and paint was laying into him on the way out... I don't think the guy was the type to learn the error of his ways though. I learned my lesson: don't ever help people in need. :smugdon:

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
Would any of you classy homowners have a recommendation for (ideally wireless) security cameras that aren't a) ridiculously expensive or b) tied to some bs monthly fee cloud storage bs?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

dumb. posted:

Would any of you classy homowners have a recommendation for (ideally wireless) security cameras that aren't a) ridiculously expensive or b) tied to some bs monthly fee cloud storage bs?

Last time I checked, D-Link makes some cheap security cameras and you can point them to a local file server to dump the video to.

Something like this might work: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/d-link-hd-wi-fi-camera-black/5386102.p

Alternatively, you can just but some cheap older smartphones for $50-ish off eBay/Amazon, and run an app to do whatever you want them to do.

Here's some Galaxy S3 for $60 each, for example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-i535-Galaxy-S3-16GB-Verizon-Wireless-Android-WiFi-Smartphone-/361482912292

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

dumb. posted:

Foscam and Amcrest are other inexpensive cameras. Foscam are Chinese made. If I've followed the press releases correctly, Amcrest bought Foscam and moved the manufacturing to the USA? (I think....) The Amcrest cameras are inexpensive and have decent quality, but Amcrest wants you to use their monthly subscription service to view and record multiple cameras unless you want to use a third party program like ZoneMinder, IP Cam Viewer, iSpy, Blue Iris, et al.

The Foscam cameras aren't as good of picture quality as the Amcrest, but they have one really nice feature: Multi-camera view. You can link all the Foscam cameras together using software built into the camera. It makes it very easy to view multiple cameras from outside (ore inside) your network. One drawback to the Foscams--shortly after Amcrest bought Foscam they made an announcement that Foscam cameras had up to 17 vulnerabilities in the firmware that would never be corrected, including hard coded admin login/pass and access to your network. Since that announcement, Foscam China has released updated firmwares to address the vulnerabilities--but there is a bit of a trust issue with using cheap Chinese cameras. Caveat emptor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

HycoCam posted:

Foscam and Amcrest are other inexpensive cameras. Foscam are Chinese made. If I've followed the press releases correctly, Amcrest bought Foscam and moved the manufacturing to the USA? (I think....) The Amcrest cameras are inexpensive and have decent quality, but Amcrest wants you to use their monthly subscription service to view and record multiple cameras unless you want to use a third party program like ZoneMinder, IP Cam Viewer, iSpy, Blue Iris, et al.

The Foscam cameras aren't as good of picture quality as the Amcrest, but they have one really nice feature: Multi-camera view. You can link all the Foscam cameras together using software built into the camera. It makes it very easy to view multiple cameras from outside (ore inside) your network. One drawback to the Foscams--shortly after Amcrest bought Foscam they made an announcement that Foscam cameras had up to 17 vulnerabilities in the firmware that would never be corrected, including hard coded admin login/pass and access to your network. Since that announcement, Foscam China has released updated firmwares to address the vulnerabilities--but there is a bit of a trust issue with using cheap Chinese cameras. Caveat emptor.

I would not suggest allowing your Foscam cameras to communicate outbound from your network. Mine talked to China first thing. Their "plugin" was flagged as a virus by Windows Defender, and requires some ancient version of IE to work. I put a firewall rule in my router to prevent them from talking to the internet at all. Other than that they are great cameras, my Synology records them just fine.