Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Code Jockey posted:

I never knew why that controller cost so much, and I thought that d-pad... thing was horrible. I never knew it could be swapped, and I never knew about the configurable paddles on the back, and now that controller is much more tempting...

It's really nice. The paddles are a cool feature and yeah they're very useful for reloading in FPS games and for shifting in stuff like Forza, although if you're gonna spend that much on a controller ya might as well get a wheel.

If you've got the spare cash and your primary console is a XBone, it's a drat good controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Charles Get-Out posted:

It...isn't? I use 3 DS4s with my PC and haven't had issues with any of them. You don't even need a wrapper for most modern games, like Fallout 4 has native support. Steam even has support in a similar way to it's Steam Controller.

I can't speak to people's personal preference in controller feel, but saying PS4 controllers are low quality and don't work well is 100% hyperbole.

The DS4 is actually the first Sony controller I've really liked. For some reason, every other iteration has cramped up my hands when I play for too long.

I'll probably stick with 360/XBone controllers for my PC, just because that's what most games are expecting and I can never remember the button layout on the Sonys, but I've got no problem playing PS4 games with them.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Sir Tonk posted:

It's really nice. The paddles are a cool feature and yeah they're very useful for reloading in FPS games and for shifting in stuff like Forza, although if you're gonna spend that much on a controller ya might as well get a wheel.

If you've got the spare cash and your primary console is a XBone, it's a drat good controller.

I got it specifically thinking of using the paddles for shifting in Forza (had a wheel but we had a baby and just didn't have the space or energy to pull out a wheel for games) and it was a bit awkward to use for that, specifically for downshifting while braking. Left trigger for braking, left high paddle for downshift and left low paddle for clutch was just too weird of a way to hold a controller while doing all of that when you can just mash A and X at the same time with your thumb to downshift with clutch instead.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Manky posted:

I love my first revision DS4 and think it's way better than my 360 controllers (even the silver one with the improved dpad) but I still haven't so much as touched an xbone controller for comparison

Can't stand the Xbone controller. Moved from 360 to DS4 for use with my PC. After using the DS4 for awhile on my PS4, I hate the XBone's overall design, feels compact. The control sticks feel small and are uncomfortable without thumb pads (more so than the DS4 even, I use pads on both but never had to on any previous gen controller). Can't stand the d-pad on the xbone controller, I know it is an improvement over the 360's, but I dunno, something about it doesn't sit well with me. Feels like using the GC's d-pad, small and uncomfortable. And even though it is just the cross pattern and not the circle design of the 360, it still acts like it. I hit the up section of the cross, but if I hit it more on one side, it registers as left or right input rather than an up input even though I didn't hit the left/right part of the cross. It has happened on multiple controllers so it isn't just that one controller. I mostly use the d-pad when navigating menus, so it is annoying you go to hit up and it goes left instead (don't like using control sticks for menu navigation or any 4 directional input really). The separate buttons on the DS4 are much more preferable between the two even though I usually prefer the cross pattern for d-pads.

The only thing I like about the xbone controller is the vibration on the triggers, but wish it had better overall vibration. Well, it does have better battery life as well.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Forgive me if this has already been talked about, it's been a really long time since I kept up with this thread. Earlier this month someone was releasing a Gamecube HDMI cable but apparently the thing is shoddily made and can fry your GC if the adapter is bumped. The guy is giving people "upgrades" to a fixed version for free, but some people are also saying he's trying to charge them money to get the new, non-volatile version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvd-73clV6E

After someone accidentally pulls the GC down you can see the cable short before it even hit the ground. I don't feel like digging everything up but there's more in the comments and on some other peoples' channel. The whole thing is very not kosher and sounds like an amateur electronics guy bit off more than he could chew and sold these things without proper isolation or something.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I would guess since the sheath of the connector was 3D printed, it lacked the rigidity the official component cable's metal connector provides. Plus as component cable owners may know, it's a snug as hell fit.

Ya, was reading the comments on that video last week and apparently the guy posted his designs and was warned about his design by the BadAssConsole guys who have been designing the GCvideo, and he ignored it. It is good he is taking measures to fix the design before more are shipped out and to replace ones already sold, but he was trying to undercut them to get some sales before theirs is released, and ignoring advice isn't cool. Still waiting for their plug n play. I like the idea of component and hdmi options.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I strongly prefer the xbone controller to the DS4. The sticks feel wayyyy better and especially for retro stuff I like the clicky d-pad. The overall fit and finish between the two are night and day. The only real flaw is that on Windows there's no real way to check the battery level or get a warning when it's about to die. It's really bizarre.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
The touchscreen and share buttons on the DS4 are maddening, but eh both controllers are fine and way better than the DS3 hoo boy

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

The touchscreen and share buttons on the DS4 are maddening, but eh both controllers are fine and way better than the DS3 hoo boy

When using on PC, the touchpad is great with DS4windows. It is a touchpad mouse and right click. You can start your PC and navigate to whatever game without touching a keyboard or mouse. Great for your console replacement PCs like the Alienware Alpha or other micro builds that you connect to your tv and sit on a couch to play instead of at a desk.

It sucks they didn't use it more for PStv to whitelist more Vita games with touchscreen controls, especially games like Uncharted.

I like the DS4 for use with emulators too. Though some games, especially platformers, may benefit for the more traditional cross d-pad design.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I think the build quality of the DS3 is way better than the DS4. The triggers don't become mushy and the joysticks don't have that crappy rubber on them. I'm really disappointed Sony never tried to fix the DS4.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mill Village posted:

I think the build quality of the DS3 is way better than the DS4.

:raise:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I agree with that sentiment. I'm still running with my original (well, when they added the rumble back in) DS3 while my original DS4 has replacement rubber pads and the d-pad on my original 360 controller jiggles worse than an N64 stick after a bout of Mario Party.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

FireMrshlBill posted:

It sucks they didn't use it more for PStv to whitelist more Vita games with touchscreen controls, especially games like Uncharted.

This would require Sony to make a good decision in regards to the Vita/PSTV, and, well,

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mill Village posted:

I think the build quality of the DS3 is way better than the DS4. The triggers don't become mushy and the joysticks don't have that crappy rubber on them. I'm really disappointed Sony never tried to fix the DS4.

I'm sorry but the DS3 was designed by an absolute dumbass if not only because the triggers bend outward. Why the gently caress would anyone think that's a good idea?

Also the stick nubs curve upward, though that's a holdover from the DS1 and 2. Still though whyyy

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I'm sorry but the DS3 was designed by an absolute dumbass if not only because the triggers bend outward. Why the gently caress would anyone think that's a good idea?

Also the stick nubs curve upward, though that's a holdover from the DS1 and 2. Still though whyyy

They definitely curve in. Like the PS2's "sensitive" buttons the triggers were meant for racing game where variable pressure can be placed. Thankfully designers don't really do that poo poo anymore.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

al-azad posted:

They definitely curve in. Like the PS2's "sensitive" buttons the triggers were meant for racing game where variable pressure can be placed. Thankfully designers don't really do that poo poo anymore.

Im one of the few freaks that actually liked the PS2's analog buttons. I could never quite get a good feel for controlling throttle via analog triggers, but analog buttons just felt very natural for me.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I wasn't a fan of the DS4 sticks, so I put Xbone sticks in mine. They fit without any modification required. It can be a bit tricky to get the DS4 open the first time around but there's tutorials out there and it's not bad as long as you're patient.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

al-azad posted:

They definitely curve in.

:confused: Then why do my fingers keep slipping off of the triggers when I press them? I'm hoping one of us is mixing up what it means when something curves "outward" vs. "inward"

al-azad posted:

Like the PS2's "sensitive" buttons the triggers were meant for racing game where variable pressure can be placed. Thankfully designers don't really do that poo poo anymore.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Are the DS3 triggers not pivoting analog buttons instead of the pressure sensitive poo poo?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mak0rz posted:

I'm not sure what you mean here. Are the DS3 triggers not pivoting analog buttons instead of the pressure sensitive poo poo?

No no, the face buttons.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

:confused: Then why do my fingers keep slipping off of the triggers when I press them? I'm hoping one of us is mixing up what it means when something curves "outward" vs. "inward"

Okay, you mean convex/concave. Yeah, I don't know I never had any issues with the triggers. I can't explain it in technical terms but the triggers are easy to press with very little pressure needed and the pivot point is close enough to L1/R1 that I can hold down a trigger while tapping the shoulder buttons with my knuckle kind of like how you can cradle an NES controller's B/A with your thumb.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!
https://albany.craigslist.org/ele/d/sony-video-monitors-from-cnn/6253846029.html

Any CRT fans here?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

I think I just broke my dick

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

i can't find the link on that page to report the listing as fake :smugdon:

AMISH FRIED PIES fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 29, 2017

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

I'm the Ikegami with the intense burn-in.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

flyboi posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/shoutfactorytv

Twitch is doing a starcade marathon this week for the next 6 days

this is the best thing ever

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

oh god drat it I got my hopes up thinking that was Albany, Oregon before I clicked :arghfist::smith:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

flyboi posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/shoutfactorytv

Twitch is doing a starcade marathon this week for the next 6 days

I didn't even know this show was a thing but now I'm glad I have this in my life.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I just spotted this video on how genesis games music was coded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEvnZRCW_qc

I thought it was pretty interesting.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Isn't it more like "how Genesis music was coded several years after the console was released"?

It is really cool that there's midi modtracker program specificly for the Genesis though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
When did Chibi Robo get so goddamn expensive? Just noticed RetroGames has a copy for $200AUD :stare:.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

When did Chibi Robo get so goddamn expensive? Just noticed RetroGames has a copy for $200AUD :stare:.

It's been quietly sliding upward for a while as a Nintendo game that's good but also flew under the radar. US copies are going in the $40 - $50 range on eBay which means that in overpriced game stores it's probably closer to $100.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

falz posted:

Isn't it more like "how Genesis music was coded several years after the console was released"?

It is really cool that there's midi modtracker program specificly for the Genesis though.

A large amount of Western developed Genesis games used GEMS, and the software was first released in 1992 which still covers a lot of the system's lifespan.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Someone offer $500. Worth the risk for $500.If you get at least 4 good ones you can sell 3 and break even.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

the_lion posted:

GEMS is poo poo. Lazy, horrible poo poo. The MD is capable of so much more, as many of us have linked in the thread over the years.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
fyi you can use a ds4 with many but not all ps3 games. all the ps3 controllers I've had have broken :(

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Ofecks posted:

GEMS is poo poo. Lazy, horrible poo poo. The MD is capable of so much more, as many of us have linked in the thread over the years.

lazy fuckin' developers making TOOLS, to hell with those monsters

(p.s. maybe watch the video)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I lost the extension cord part of my Sega Trio (Wall plug to the plug that goes into the adapter). Anyone have a part number for a replacement?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ofecks posted:

So you glanced at the video, saw the word "GEMS" and just stopped there, huh.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ofecks posted:

Have you never heard the proverb about the poor craftsman?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

FireMrshlBill posted:

When using on PC, the touchpad is great with DS4windows. It is a touchpad mouse and right click.

I didn't know it functioned like that and that's very cool.

FireMrshlBill posted:

This, on the other hand, is absolutely maddening. I'm amazed at how terrible the pstv was, it was so bad that there wasn't even a netflix app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

the_lion posted:

This is a cool video!

• Locked thread