Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HatfulOfHollow posted:

If you had to be good at a game to have opinions about it this thread would be like two people.

Let's be honest, it'd be zero people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
woo! got my first chicken dinner! only two kills, but it was the last one that counted.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
Gonna need some aviators to finish off the Sonny Crocket look, so close.

Also won a duo game where my teammate disconnected a minute into the game, had to drive from Severny to military island for the first zone. Crashed my car, ran over the bridge, spent three circles up on the hill by the observatory randomly shooting at anyone I saw without anyone coming up to find me. Then following the circle south down the hill to the win. I guess given it was my first duo game in the US since the stat reset (my buddy is in NZ, I'm UK, we meet in the middle) that we got put in with the morons. It was very entertaining.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Is there a link to some recommended graphics settings or tweaks? I'm thinking there's no reason to run this on the highest settings because it doesn't look that great even then.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

mechaet posted:

I'll admit, the reason for the standalone DAC sounds a lot like audiophile bullshit, until you consider that I'm nearly legally deaf- and therefore incapable of giving any sort of fidelity-based argument in favor of a DAC.

The tl;dr version of my reasoning for it is that with the external DAC, I can reach over, twist a knob, and get thunderous volume on an as-needed basis, say for example when sneaking around someone in a building and trying to figure out where the hell that footstep sound came from. The amplifier really does help, because you can give yourself essentially super-hearing. Encounter over, twist the knob the opposite direction and continue about your business.

Also, were I an audiophile a paltry 100-dollar DAC would probably not be sufficient bragging rights to bore people to tears with at a dinner party. The one I have has amplification, one headphone jack, and a volume knob. That's it. No equalizer, no fancy other crap. Lots of power, no alt-tabbing out to the volume mixer.

The 300-dollar headphones will happily produce quality sound without distortion at that power level, where a lot of the 100-dollar variety will distort making it even harder to figure out what direction that sound just came from, and thereby defeating the purpose of having 4x power available on command. There may be headphones well below my price range that can handle that power, provide that level of sound; I have never heard of them (pun intended).

A headphone interface with a knob might be worth it if only for the convenience of the knob.

My rule of thumb with audio poo poo in general is: if it takes an a/b comparison for you to tell the difference it's probably not worth money.

Better headphones will improve your spatial perception simply due to flatter frequency response across the spectrum and probably by generating significantly more bass frequencies, spatial audio relies on tricking your brain into thinking audio sources come from various directions and distances and it helps when your brain is easily fooled into thinking that the sound sources are real, the headphones themselves are the most critical component in the gamer audio chain, virtualizers, DACs and fancy interfaces are really not going to do much. Virtualizers will actually degrade spatial audio performance by applying dual spatial processing (the game generates signals that are supposed to be played back in close proximity to your ears, the virtualizer will take those 'binaural' signal and play that back over a virtual set of speakers positioned in front of you as they would be in a surround playback setup).

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

KingKapalone posted:

Is there a link to some recommended graphics settings or tweaks? I'm thinking there's no reason to run this on the highest settings because it doesn't look that great even then.

There was a thread on reddit for "high FPS competitive settings", but it is several months old so I don't know how well it holds up. (For example, I don't believe the "-USEALLAVAILABLECORES" flag is required anymore.)

Plus it recommends turning the shadows and foliage completely down which I personally feel makes the game look like complete dogshit.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Not turning down foliage is going to hurt you a lot I think - it's the difference between a sneaky snake and a guy who moves really slow.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Not turning down foliage is going to hurt you a lot I think - it's the difference between a sneaky snake and a guy who moves really slow.

That's disappointing, I thought I read the goal was that they'd make it so disabling foliage didn't grant a competitive advantage. Probably just not there, yet, with the engine.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

mechaet posted:

A super-high-quality set of headphones and a standalone DAC work absolute magic in helping you directionalize sound.

Problem is, a super-high-quality set of headphones is like 300 bucks.

The standalone DAC I use is another 100 bucks on top of that.

I have some sub-$100 USB3 headphones with "simulated 7.1 surround" and have no issues telling exactly which direction gunfire/footsteps are coming from.

e- PLANTRONICS GAMECOM 780 headset

khysanth fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 29, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

pocket pool posted:

That's disappointing, I thought I read the goal was that they'd make it so disabling foliage didn't grant a competitive advantage. Probably just not there, yet, with the engine.

I suppose this is not something I've tested personally so I should tag it as hearsay but yeah, my understanding is that foliage is only drawn to a certain distance. Maybe the setting does preserve that, I guess I truly don't know.

Fastened Portal Bart
Dec 16, 2004
Tally ho!
One thing I did notice with the foliage turned up was that I could see a lot more trees dropping from the airplane, so increasing draw distance is probably one of the biggest effects from that setting. I thought maybe the grass was a little denser as well but it looked about the same when I turned it back down.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Anyone else prefer playing on the duos and squad servers even when solo? I dunno what it is about it but I prefer the player movements and tactics to that than solo servers. Along with heightened awareness that I'll die quicker than other people. And other people are slightly harder to kill.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYOKqtoyhSQ

I love the cars in this dumbass game.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Jiro posted:

Anyone else prefer playing on the duos and squad servers even when solo? I dunno what it is about it but I prefer the player movements and tactics to that than solo servers. Along with heightened awareness that I'll die quicker than other people. And other people are slightly harder to kill.
So wait, can you queue up on those servers as a solo player? My assumption was that it was going to do some kind of match making and put you in a pubbie squad.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

You can turn off the dumb matchmaking and just drop solo

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know you can do it with squads, but can you turn it off for Duo? I'm almost sure that it forces you with someone.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Can't do it in duos

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Mauser posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion for FOV setting in first person mode?

I put it on 103, but noticed after a few matches that I can't see poo poo and that beyond about 30-50 yards the enemies heads, bodies and limbs start to lose thickness and enemies end up looking like stick figures regardless of other video settings.

I dropped it down to 90 and I can now actually spot enemies like before. Why are the graphics in this game so lovely?

Just replying to my own post: got my first FPP dinner thanks to this btw. Actually able to see people = really helpful

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Mauser posted:

Just replying to my own post: got my first FPP dinner thanks to this btw. Actually able to see people = really helpful

What resolution is your monitor? Surely you're not a 1080p peasant asking why there would be settings for people with better gear.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lol if you don't play on a TV and have trouble even seeing the compass

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

VulgarandStupid posted:

What resolution is your monitor? Surely you're not a 1080p peasant asking why there would be settings for people with better gear.

Wait what? 1080p is not good? What kind of monitor do you have?
I'm doing something wrong. It really feels like the picuture isn't smooth enough. I have a 144hz monitor but somehow I did something to it and now I only get 120/121hz with it. I dont know if it's a monitor issue, computer settings issue, a game settings issue, or a combination.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
4 squad wins in a row, which is fun, but I really can't wait until fpp gets stats and rankings so that it's not a complete toss-up whether you meet people who can aim or people who somehow are still rocking shotguns and uzis in the final circle

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Bohemian Nights posted:

4 squad wins in a row, which is fun, but I really can't wait until fpp gets stats and rankings so that it's not a complete toss-up whether you meet people who can aim or people who somehow are still rocking shotguns and uzis in the final circle

it's not a toss up at all though. like most games, there are waaaaay more terrible players than good ones. I've been mostly playing fpp and i find all the games are about as easy as a beginner mmr match.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
FPP is just silly fun right now and teaching me all sorts of bad habits but whatever, I'll keep shooting nerds and occasionally getting rocked by someone who takes cover and isn't shooting kar body shots

My friend asked me last night if I actually wanted them still because he stopped caring. I'm not sure if I care anymore, either. Wins out of total games yes, but the rest? Ehhhh

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
https://clips.twitch.tv/SlipperyRockyGrouseTriHard

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

I aspire to be that chill while playing pubg.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
I know FPP isn't ranked, but is there still a hidden elo used for match-making? I know most games do this for unranked modes, but does PUBG?

I've been trying to practice my shooty-shooty by dropping in high popularity areas and getting into brawls but I feel so consistently outplayed every single match, I wonder if maybe match-making just happens by random in FPP, which would explain the bell curve of players I'm running into. Like, I'm in the bottom 20 every single game for the past 30+ games, surely I should be playing against fellow old men and children by now?

I really don't care for 3PP but I guess I'll learn to love it if it means getting a more appropriate challenge. As-is I just feel like I've hit a skill wall and nothing I do is improving it.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Last night in solo I spotted a guy trying to get a scythe takedown on someone with a shotty, he was hiding behind a tree, saw me coming and didn't move (I also had a shotgun). As his target approached I could see this was gonna end badly so I rushed and distracted the guy, allowing scytheboy to nail him with it.

I pulled my fists out and we went at it but in the end the scythe got me

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I didn't realize I did not have loudness equalization turned enabled on my headset. I enabled it so that I can hear all those precious directional sounds without bullets deafening me.

And now every moment of the game is god drat terrifying. Walking through a house with loud footsteps in my ears having to remind myself that it's just my own feet. I'm on edge all the time.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I didn't realize I did not have loudness equalization turned enabled on my headset. I enabled it so that I can hear all those precious directional sounds without bullets deafening me.

And now every moment of the game is god drat terrifying. Walking through a house with loud footsteps in my ears having to remind myself that it's just my own feet. I'm on edge all the time.
Wait doesn't that gently caress you over about how far away sounds are, since they're all equalized to the same volume regardless of distance?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

abigserve posted:

Last night in solo I spotted a guy trying to get a scythe takedown on someone with a shotty, he was hiding behind a tree, saw me coming and didn't move (I also had a shotgun). As his target approached I could see this was gonna end badly so I rushed and distracted the guy, allowing scytheboy to nail him with it.

I pulled my fists out and we went at it but in the end the scythe got me

This guy got more honor than Ned Stark, and it got him killed too.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

flatluigi posted:

Wait doesn't that gently caress you over about how far away sounds are, since they're all equalized to the same volume regardless of distance?
Yeah chances are if I'm scared of footsteps and all of my posts have been "how do I kill people" I'm not terribly worried about judging gunshots by distance. There are two gunshots - the ones I hear in the distance, and the one that killed me.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!

flatluigi posted:

It's not contracting the range of volumes to a point, just compressing it. Far sounds are still quiet, close sounds are still loud. The most annoying thing is it makes the ambient noise harder to ignore.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

There are some ambient noises that are annoyingly close to sounding like someone stutter-stepping or being a sneaky snake and it is loving infuriating when you're lurking and waiting.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

gonna write a hardware headphone filter to remove ambient noise

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
im sure you all get these screenies all the time but i just started playing and im v proud v proud.

now that ive conquered solo time to find friends.

e: my heart hasn't beat that fast since i tried hiking once.

the Gaffe fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 30, 2017

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
https://clips.twitch.tv/StylishDeterminedTireTheTarFu

Chocotaco solo drops at the shooting range in a squad game. Drops entire squad. Dude is just on another level, god drat.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

https://clips.twitch.tv/StylishDeterminedTireTheTarFu

Chocotaco solo drops at the shooting range in a squad game. Drops entire squad. Dude is just on another level, god drat.

this was dope as hell

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

hitze posted:

this was dope as hell

That's how I feel when I'm with goons and we get murked and someone's like "bullshit I'm reporting that". I want to think that they're joking but in my heart of hearts...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

DrNutt posted:

That's how I feel when I'm with goons and we get murked and someone's like "bullshit I'm reporting that". I want to think that they're joking but in my heart of hearts...

The good news is you get to have your answer! https://clips.twitch.tv/DeadLittleCrabsOMGScoots :haw:

• Locked thread