Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Cameo posted:

WB threw up some b-roll: https://youtu.be/3rPsjTmJFMk

Two things: they built the entire sewers! Cool. Also, the amount of practical stuff in this footage is kind of ridiculous. And also, Bill Skarsgård sure as hell went as method as you can go with the embodiment of evil. Him just sitting and holding a bundle of balloons is menacing.

This all looks crazy good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

The Cameo posted:

WB threw up some b-roll: https://youtu.be/3rPsjTmJFMk

Two things: they built the entire sewers! Cool. Also, the amount of practical stuff in this footage is kind of ridiculous. And also, Bill Skarsgård sure as hell went as method as you can go with the embodiment of evil. Him just sitting and holding a bundle of balloons is menacing.

Probably not spoiler but just in case:This is the first I've seen Bev with long hair. It's short in all the official promo materials. Wonder if the haircut itself is a plot point, probably from her crazy dad or Henry's gang?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I’d bet good money that the haircut will have something to do with her father disapproving of it.

I’m actually wondering now what they’re going to do about casting the adult characters since it seems like it’s all clear for whatever they intend to call the second movie to start really early development. Do you go with stars? Do you find a bunch of unknowns?

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 28, 2017

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I swear I remember a scene in the book where Bev's father gets mad about her hanging around with boys so he cuts her hair off because only sluts have long hair. Did I imagine that?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You imagined it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

The Cameo posted:

I’d bet good money that the haircut will have something to do with her father disapproving of it.

I’m actually wondering now what they’re going to do about casting the adult characters since it seems like it’s all clear for whatever they intend to call the second movie to start really early development. Do you go with stars? Do you find a bunch of unknowns?
Part of me kind of wants them to just symbolize the fact that kids are still on some level tethered to Derry by having the kid actors play the adult versions of themselves.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The Cameo posted:

Get Seth Green to play adult richie tozier then mash up the tv movie with it for a trippy it experience :v:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I legitimately thought about suggesting Seth for grown Richie, because he’d probably say yes just because how often do you get a chance to play the same character at two points in their life and legitimately be right near the age of the character both times

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The kids cast themselves already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc5_ZkReJmE&t=288s

quote:

Bill Hader, Jessica Chastain, Chadwick Boseman, Jake Gyllenhaal, Joseph Gordon Levitt and Chris Pratt

Hader and Pratt are on point i think.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame

CelticPredator posted:

Hader and Pratt are on point i think.

I could see Pratt as either Tozier or Hanscom, absolutely.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
Pratt would make a really good Ben in ideal what if land. Also love the idea of Seth Green as adult Richie. That would be kinda neat though I don't know if it would look right or not with the kid but whatever

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I so desperately want to do that Neibolt House walk around thing, but I live in the UK and it seems ridiculous to spend five-hundred on plane tickets in order to go to a Haunted House.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Watch a youtube walkthrough and be glad you didn't blow your money on a low rent spookhouse.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I don't find Seth Green believable as an adult

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Karloff posted:

I so desperately want to do that Neibolt House walk around thing, but I live in the UK and it seems ridiculous to spend five-hundred on plane tickets in order to go to a Haunted House.

Me to and I'm actually there at the end of the year but it closes in September

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I'd cast Jay Baruchel as adult Richie. He's annoying enough to capture the disc jockey character.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Origami Dali posted:

Watch a youtube walkthrough and be glad you didn't blow your money on a low rent spookhouse.

I mean, yeah, that's the sensible option. But I really do like that kind of thing.

Gaz2k21 posted:

Me to and I'm actually there at the end of the year but it closes in September

Ah poo poo, that's lame. You never know though if the film is a really big hit (which it looks like it will be) then they might extend its opening, so fingers crossed.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Karloff posted:

I mean, yeah, that's the sensible option. But I really do like that kind of thing.

Ah poo poo, that's lame. You never know though if the film is a really big hit (which it looks like it will be) then they might extend its opening, so fingers crossed.

I can see them reopening it around Halloween time if the movie does well. LA tends to really get into Halloween from what I've seen with Universal doing its mazes and other haunted attractions

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

joylessdivision posted:

I can see them reopening it around Halloween time if the movie does well. LA tends to really get into Halloween from what I've seen with Universal doing its mazes and other haunted attractions

I'm going there for a Misfits gig the day before new years so they should just extend the whole thing through to 2018

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I've been rewatching the 90s IT miniseries, and I couldn't place why something about Richard Thomas' performance was niggling at the back of my brain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSkT77010fE

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I noticed a shot in the trailer of one of the kids floating in what looked like Its lair. I hope we get a full on ritual of Chüd, I imagine it as mostly blackness with the kids' voices and Its voice talking, maybe some sounds and flashes to indicate It is tossing their consciousness around. Can't wait.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Today I found this awesome poster promoting the film at the subway

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I hope when they do Part 2 they include Eddie's zombie/leper baseball game!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

An interview with King I saw gave the distinct impression pretty much all the encounters are going to be changed to reflect what kids in the 80's would be scared of instead of 50's universal monsters, which sounds amazing if they do it right. I want to see IT looking like a rotting Michael Myers, or Freddie, a clown version of the Xenomorph, leatherface with big orange pom poms on his front. I don't know how far they can go with that kind of stuff though, the 80's scary creature flicks are a lot more copyrighted than vampires, warewolves, mummies, etc.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I hope when they do Part 2 they include Eddie's zombie/leper baseball game!

And make it look as cool as the comic it's based on:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Well, New Line owns the rights to Freddy and some quasi-rights to Jason, so it's possible.

E: ^oh man, Foul Play. That's the first EC Comic I ever read, back when they were doing those 90's reprints.

Origami Dali fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 29, 2017

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

This was a thing in the book as well. The skateboarding kid, or sk8er boi if you prefer, that Bill talks to tells him that his friend says Jaws is the one who has been killing all the kids and he knows because it came out of the canal and tried to eat him.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

And make it look as cool as the comic it's based on:

I love how much King's love of EC horror comics just shines through in his work. His best short stores wouldn't be at all out of place in Tales From the Crypt, Vault of Horror or Haunt of Fear.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

FreudianSlippers posted:

This was a thing in the book as well. The skateboarding kid, or sk8er boi if you prefer, that Bill talks to tells him that his friend says Jaws is the one who has been killing all the kids and he knows because it came out of the canal and tried to eat him.

I love how much King's love of EC horror comics just shines through in his work. His best short stores wouldn't be at all out of place in Tales From the Crypt, Vault of Horror or Haunt of Fear.

I forgot about the skateboarding kid mentioning jaws, thats exactly what I want to see. They've really been holding all that back in the previews and trails so far, all they've shown is the pure clown form really. I hope they really get creative and can do monster forms justice.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A clown Xeno would hype me up more than anything in any movie ever made tbh

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FreudianSlippers posted:

EC Comics blew my mind when I first saw them in the 90's, I can't imagine being some kid in the 50's flipping through one at the drugstore.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
They could establish a "famous slasher villain" as something the kids are aware of and then pay that off with It appearing as that character without it having to literally be Jason or Freddy.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

They could establish a "famous slasher villain" as something the kids are aware of and then pay that off with It appearing as that character without it having to literally be Jason or Freddy.

They could, but why wouldn't they use a franchise they own the rights to (Nightmare on Elm Street) instead. No knock-off is going to have the same impact. Unless Robert Englund is too old (which I doubt, he seems like he loves Freddy and will always be down to play him).

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Basebf555 posted:

They could, and they might, but generic versions to get around copyright of what you really want to show never has the same impact. I think I would piss myself if I saw a tiny scene of one of the losers watching Alien late night on TV, and in a later scene see a dripping xeno looking creature lower down from a ceiling but it has pennywise's head, distorted and stretched into the shape of a xenomorph skull or something.

EDIT:
VVVV well to be fair, the way you would do it is not to get Robert Englund, but dress Skarsgard up like pennywise pretending he's freddy.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 30, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I guess I just find it hard to believe that we could be this close to release and something like a Robert Englund as Freddy cameo hasn't leaked yet. That would be HUGE.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Pretty sure they even mention the xenomorph in the book It, don't they?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tom Guycot posted:

An interview with King I saw gave the distinct impression pretty much all the encounters are going to be changed to reflect what kids in the 80's would be scared of instead of 50's universal monsters, which sounds amazing if they do it right. I want to see IT looking like a rotting Michael Myers, or Freddie, a clown version of the Xenomorph, leatherface with big orange pom poms on his front. I don't know how far they can go with that kind of stuff though, the 80's scary creature flicks are a lot more copyrighted than vampires, warewolves, mummies, etc.

Basebf555 posted:

I guess I just find it hard to believe that we could be this close to release and something like a Robert Englund as Freddy cameo hasn't leaked yet. That would be HUGE.

Uh you guys are missing the forest for the trees here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KCAGzNv_QI

Like you could make an entire 80s kid nightmare gallery out of drug war PSAs and PSAs where the father is talking to his kid about everything that happened in Vietnam and that other one about the marine with the yellow walls on either side where he's not vigilant for a second and a billion hands stretch out of each. You could probably get every single thing like that playing on a TV at some point and it would own.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Phylodox posted:

Pretty sure they even mention the xenomorph in the book It, don't they?

The childhood portion of the movie takes place in 89 (?)

The book takes place in the mid 50's. The nightmares they see are based off the monsters of that time.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The movie theatre scene, they'll be watching NOES and then Richie sees Englund as Freddy in the Neibolt house basement. It's total nostalgia geek-out poo poo, but gently caress it, I'd be lovin it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Today I found this awesome poster promoting the film at the subway

The promotion team should just go around the cities tying red balloons to bus stops and poo poo. Random cars. Sewer grates. Libraries. Put them everywhere. Silkscreen or UV coat the "IT" logo on them if need be. It'd be like the Batman 89 hype only way cheaper to do.

Hire me, New Line Cinema.

Environmentalists might have a cow about IT though, and rightfully so, but IT'd work.

Tom Guycot posted:

that's a good idea but I was wondering about the issue of rights myself too, as others have mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

The childhood portion of the movie takes place in 89 (?)

The book takes place in the mid 50's. The nightmares they see are based off the monsters of that time.

They mention it during the adult portion:

quote:

"What do you hear?" she asked Bill, trying to look everywhere as the match in Richie's hand burned down, expecting to see some new surprise come lurching or flying out of the darkness. Rodan, anyone? The alien from that gruesome movie with Sigourney Weaver? A great scuttering rat with orange eyes and silver teeth?

• Locked thread