Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

python has all kinds of flaws but the least defensible is the lack of variable declaration (as opposed to dynamic typing, which I dislike but does have some advantages)

But, it has inverted variable declarations! Python 3 literally introduced the nonlocal statement to declare that that variable is not in this scope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

nielsm posted:

But, it has inverted variable declarations! Python 3 literally introduced the nonlocal statement to declare that that variable is not in this scope.

Oh yeah, I'll add the scoping rules to my list of things that are acceptable to gripe about in Python. The lack of scopes besides "module" and "function" has bitten me several times in the past.

That said, `nonlocal` is just a variant on `global`, which lets a function work with values from the global namespace. I don't really have a problem with `global`; you need some way to say "I want to assign to the global named "foo", not create a new local named "foo"." It's either this or have var declarations. :shrug:

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

necrotic posted:

npm also just had that post install fiasco with some typo squatting packages. So recently isn't really accurate

ah they've had over a year and a half to deal with this and they are just now "getting around" to implementing some kind of (probably optional) 2fa for publishing.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Hot take: if your problems with Python don't have to do with the GIL, the lack of type safety, or the timeline for updating to Python 3, then your opinions are wrong. It has no other major flaws. :colbert:

Obviously not a 100% serious opinion, but honestly Python beats the pants off of every other major language I use in terms of expressiveness and clarity of code.

I disagree. Python is my favorite langugage, but the following things bug the heck out of me, in order of pettiness:

bools as a subtype of int
the way mutable default function arguments are handled
else is incredibly poorly named in the context of try/except/else/finally and for/else (though I do like the feature)
{} being an empty dict and not an empty set

I also have problems with some things that are legacy cruft: I love fstrings, but the fact that python now has THREE different string formatting methods is kind of crazy. I think the benefits of adding them outweigh the flaws, but still.

The biggest problem of all, though, is lack of portability. It is incredibly hard to just give someone a file and say 'run this'. Javascript should have this problem, but so much infrastructure has been built up that pretty much anyone can run your Javascript anywhere.

nielsm posted:

I like this.

I would like a Python-like, compiled, statically-typed language, but it wouldn't let you do half the dark magic that makes python really loving fun. Like, for example, you can do this in Python:

Python code:
"""
easyrepr.py provides a class decorator that tries to create self-documenting
__repr__ such that eval(repr(x)) == repr(x) where possible.
Python 3.6.0 and up only
"""

from itertools import chain

def easyrepr(cls):
    """class decorator. tries to create self-documenting __repr__. 
    such that, where possible for immutable objects with 
    implemented __equals__, 
    eval(repr(x)) == x 

"""
    _cls_new = cls.__new__
    def _easyrepr_repr(self):
        """ 
		automatic __repr__ created by the easyrepr decorator. takes the form 
		cls(*args, **kwargs), where *args and **kwargs are captured during _easyrepr_new
		"""
        return self._easyrepr
    def _easyrepr_new(cls, *args, **kwargs):
        """
		replacement _new__ created by the easyerpr decorator. captures arguments
		during instance creation and stores their reprs in a string, to be returned
		when _easyrepr__repr is called.
		"""
        instance  = _cls_new(cls)
        argstr = (f'{arg!r}' for arg in args)
        kwargstr = (f'{arg} = {kwargs[arg]!r}' for arg in kwargs)
        args = ', '.join(chain(argstr, kwargstr))
        instance._easyrepr = f'{cls.__name__}({args})'
        return instance
    cls.__new__ = _easyrepr_new
    cls.__repr__ = _easyrepr_repr
    return cls
Which is true dark dynamic magic.

Python is the best language to write, hands down. It is not always the best language to develop in.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 29, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Oh yeah, I'll add the scoping rules to my list of things that are acceptable to gripe about in Python. The lack of scopes besides "module" and "function" has bitten me several times in the past.

That said, `nonlocal` is just a variant on `global`, which lets a function work with values from the global namespace. I don't really have a problem with `global`; you need some way to say "I want to assign to the global named "foo", not create a new local named "foo"." It's either this or have var declarations. :shrug:

I've generally enjoyed writing Python and I still use it for occasional odd tasks, but the scoping is bad. I very much prefer to declare my variables where they live rather than where they don't live. (I largely grew up on Delphi and came to like the declaration discipline of Pascal.)

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

GenJoe posted:

I'm also very skeptical of the "save time by writing the same code for the server and the client!" line. That's not really how web development works.
Strictly browser games that run over websockets ('ws' is literally the only thing I install through npm) and do a lot of client work for prediction or whatever. I wouldn't say it saves time, but saves duplication and related mistakes. I can push game logic tweaks for the client and a mercurial hook restarts the server via supervisor to load the exact same code.

I wouldn't force it on anyone though. Every file has this dumb boilerplate like:
code:
var Server = (typeof window === 'undefined');
if (Server)
	module.exports = Entity;
I'm also the guy who writes 1461 lines with seveneleven comments. I know I'm an rear end in a top hat weirdo.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 29, 2017

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Dr. Stab posted:

Can I write my node server in python and transpile it to js?

You could probably compile Python itself into asm.js or whatever it is called and run the script unmodified.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

necrotic posted:

They learned from left pad and then immediately ignored the new policy so no they haven't learned poo poo. Still no package signing either.

they serve all packages over https. why do you think that's worse than signed packages?

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

this post is

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013
Based on my experience, doing websocket stuff in Node with socket.io is easier than in other languages/frameworks, though I don't know why that would need to be the case and I'd believe there was some easy tool I've been missing.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

MrMoo posted:

You could probably compile Python itself into asm.js or whatever it is called and run the script unmodified.

I should probably compile gcc itself to js and use that to compile python. Closer to the metal that way.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

A big problem of language X vs language Y discussions is that they usually come down to pointing out the inevitable flaws of each language and trying to decide which flaws are the worst. That's incredibly difficult to do.

People talk about the flaws in JS or Python and I always have a feeling like..."yeah, those are things that are not good, but I know about them and account for them and get on with my day".

On the other hand, that can't possibly mean all languages are good, but of the half dozen languages I'm half-competent with, none of the flaws about them that are commonly brought up really get me mad.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 29, 2017

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Mad Jaqk posted:

Based on my experience, doing websocket stuff in Node with socket.io is easier than in other languages/frameworks, though I don't know why that would need to be the case and I'd believe there was some easy tool I've been missing.

If you're going to do websockets in a lovely language that was never designed with for I/O, at least do them in the best lovely language that was never designed for async I/O: PHP.

https://amphp.org/aerys/

The people that make this are some of the sharpest PHP developers I've ever met. They are absolutely batshit insane.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Suspicious Dish posted:

they serve all packages over https. why do you think that's worse than signed packages?

Package signing is for verifying package contents, which SSL is incapable of doing. If NPM was well run and private repositories did not exist it becomes less important, but right now there is no mechanism to verify your getting what you think you're getting. Every other package manager I've used supports this.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

nielsm posted:

I've generally enjoyed writing Python and I still use it for occasional odd tasks, but the scoping is bad. I very much prefer to declare my variables where they live rather than where they don't live. (I largely grew up on Delphi and came to like the declaration discipline of Pascal.)

I don't understand. If you want variable X to live in function A, then it lives there and nowhere else; isn't that exactly what you want? I'm having difficulty parsing the last sentence (in what sense do you declare variables where they don't live? What does that mean?)

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
I have never hosed up using pip, and I gently caress up everything.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Every time I look up at babel.js/react.js/JSX combo I get angry. It's just one big why.

Cool, so it's node.js, but in php?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

QuarkJets posted:

I don't understand. If you want variable X to live in function A, then it lives there and nowhere else; isn't that exactly what you want? I'm having difficulty parsing the last sentence (in what sense do you declare variables where they don't live? What does that mean?)

nonlocal is an explicit declaration that the variable doesn't live at the point of the declaration, but says nothing about where it actually does live other than that it's some containing scope.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Slimchandi posted:

I'm fairly new to Python but I recognise the boolean conditional is phrased poorly. Otherwise is it bad because you generate an entire list just to pluck off the first item? Or the general inpenetrableness of how you generate the name list?
Yeah first note, I already cleaned that up a bit before posting it. Second, "impenetrable" is a good word to describe most production Python. They like saying it's clean and easy to read and there's one way to do things... Naup, none of those things is a property of the language; it's up to the author. I've seen endless code come through review that's unmaintainable as written, convoluted, terrible OO, etcetera.

Unfortunately what does seem to be a property of the language is the level of awful it induces in authors. Many languages have map or comprehension, but only in Python have I seen someone try to get through a nested comprehension with conditions and exceptions. (I'll have to try to find that example)

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Dr. Stab posted:

Can I write my node server in python and transpile it to js?

No, but you can transpile it from Haskell! :shepface:

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

necrotic posted:

npm the org is what kills it as a package manager. They have no clue how to properly run a repository of packages.

npm has a repository? Looking at https://www.npmjs.com/browse/keyword/repository things seem to be as they've always been (mind numbing insane, on the "wtf are you thinking" level or, more accurately "are you even thinking?") as in: "we download poo poo from some git repo, where we try to match your required version with some branch tags, and then we run code on your local machine and then we cross fingers that we got it right".

It's fine to not like maven or the linux package managers or FreeBSD's ports, but if you want to build a different package manager, wouldn't "be better than the rest" be a requirement? And, to be fair, that requirement is not met by far. I mean, they don't even seem to have the concept of a repository. Please correct me if I'm wrong here. Please.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
you are not wrong

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

You just linked a search result for some really bad npm projects, nothing you said actually describes how npm works.

essentially, if you want to add your code to npm, you create a package.json file that lists your project name, a version number (w/ major, minor, and patch versioning), and whatever dependencies your code requires. You then publish using "npm publish" and it uploads your project to npm's public repository. Everyone else can now pull down your project with an "npm install <project name>". They can also pull down a specific version, or they can list your project as a dependency for their own project using their package.json.

you can also give npm your money and they will publish private repositories for you, kind of like how github does with their paid plans.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Plorkyeran posted:

nonlocal is an explicit declaration that the variable doesn't live at the point of the declaration, but says nothing about where it actually does live other than that it's some containing scope.

Oh, I thought that the complaint was about Python scoping generally rather than just talking about nonlocal specifically

The complaint seemed to suggest that you can't declare where a variable lives, but that's actually just the default behavior

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 30, 2017

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

GenJoe posted:

You just linked a search result for some really bad npm projects, nothing you said actually describes how npm works.

essentially, if you want to add your code to npm, you create a package.json file that lists your project name, a version number (w/ major, minor, and patch versioning), and whatever dependencies your code requires. You then publish using "npm publish" and it uploads your project to npm's public repository. Everyone else can now pull down your project with an "npm install <project name>". They can also pull down a specific version, or they can list your project as a dependency for their own project using their package.json.

you can also give npm your money and they will publish private repositories for you, kind of like how github does with their paid plans.

So, hold on, if they have their own repository, where do the various git websites come into play? Why does a connection to github.com needs to be made? And, more so, if they have their own repository, why isn't package signing done? One would think that would be a blocking requirement, wouldn't it?

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

Volguus posted:

So, hold on, if they have their own repository, where do the various git websites come into play? Why does a connection to github.com needs to be made? And, more so, if they have their own repository, why isn't package signing done? One would think that would be a blocking requirement, wouldn't it?

You are allowed to, optionally, specify a git repository as a dependency, instead of pointing directly to an NPM project/version. This is useful if you're developing something that depends on some feature branch somewhere that hasn't been merged/published to NPM yet. It looks like:

code:
"dependencies": {
  "some-package": "github:github_username/some-package#branch"
}
there's also a lesser known feature that lets you point the # to a specific commit, or to a semver that npm tries to resolve to a tag from somewhere in the git repository. The latter isn't really used and definitely isn't standard.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

Volguus posted:

And, more so, if they have their own repository, why isn't package signing done? One would think that would be a blocking requirement, wouldn't it?

Suspicious Dish posted:

the npm core team wasn't mature/experienced enough to know that https isn't a strong enough guarantee for package authenticity. I think this is kind of a common mistake (but I'm not defending them because of that, it's reaaaaaly bad), and it led to all kinds of fun when npm inadvertently started spreading a worm around that could modify and publish packages using the installed-on user's credentials: https://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/319816

GenJoe fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 30, 2017

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
how does package signing fix the above attack

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

GenJoe posted:

You are allowed to, optionally, specify a git repository as a dependency, instead of pointing directly to an NPM project/version. This is useful if you're developing something that depends on some feature branch somewhere that hasn't been merged/published to NPM yet. It looks like:

code:
"dependencies": {
  "some-package": "github:github_username/some-package#branch"
}
there's also a lesser known feature that lets you point the # to a specific commit, or to a semver that npm tries to resolve to a tag from somewhere in the git repository. The latter isn't really used and definitely isn't standard.

I'm not talking about that. If i specify a dependency all the way to alpha centauri, then sure, that's my fault. but I want to install package "foo", version 4.5 and the drat thing goes to github to get it for me? How does that make sense? How does that work? What is the "repository" role then?

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

Suspicious Dish posted:

how does package signing fix the above attack

I think there are a lot of moving parts here, but the most important idea is that your private key is locked down and won't be accessible by an npm post-install script that's been executed without root or specific permissions (I think that's the bare minimum requirement, ideally your private key is locked down even further, i.e. on different hardware or whatever).

This is how maven does the whole package signing thing if you're interested: http://central.sonatype.org/pages/working-with-pgp-signatures.html

Volguus posted:

I'm not talking about that. If i specify a dependency all the way to alpha centauri, then sure, that's my fault. but I want to install package "foo", version 4.5 and the drat thing goes to github to get it for me? How does that make sense? How does that work? What is the "repository" role then?

it really shouldn't be? NPM keeps their own repository, it doesn't store things on github like that. do you have a specific example here?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
When I program in Go I just write github URLs in the source code.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

GenJoe posted:

I think there are a lot of moving parts here, but the most important idea is that your private key is locked down and won't be accessible by an npm post-install script that's been executed without root or specific permissions (I think that's the bare minimum requirement, ideally your private key is locked down even further, i.e. on different hardware or whatever).

This is how maven does the whole package signing thing if you're interested: http://central.sonatype.org/pages/working-with-pgp-signatures.html

it really shouldn't be? NPM keeps their own repository, it doesn't store things on github like that. do you have a specific example here?

It doesn't store things in github, yet it manages to depend on github (that is, get hosed when github doesn't work). Specific example? How about the documentation:

quote:

What is a package?

A package is any of the following:

a) a folder containing a program described by a package.json file
b) a gzipped tarball containing (a)
c) a url that resolves to (b)
d) a <name>@<version> that is published on the registry with (c)
e) a <name>@<tag> that points to (d)
f) a <name> that has a latest tag satisfying (e)
g) a git url that, when cloned, results in (a).

So, if I write a package.json file that among other things is dependent on a github repo .... then what?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Issue just got opened up, apparently our preview release breaks :nsfw:
this :nsfw:

Thats definitely a thing...

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

Volguus posted:

So, if I write a package.json file that among other things is dependent on a github repo .... then what?

then it downloads it from github! This is completely fine and I don't think worrying about github going down is a rational gripe with npm here. Sure it can go down just like the npm repository can go down, but the good news is that doesn't happen. Like ever.

if it makes you feel any better, published packages rarely list git dependencies. It's really meant for development like I said, where you need to temporarily redirect your dependency to a specific commit or branch somewhere.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Xarn posted:

Issue just got opened up, apparently our preview release breaks :nsfw:
this :nsfw:

Thats definitely a thing...

iirc that language dominates the entire AWS backend

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

GenJoe posted:

then it downloads it from github! This is completely fine and I don't think worrying about github going down is a rational gripe with npm here. Sure it can go down just like the npm repository can go down, but the good news is that doesn't happen. Like ever.

if it makes you feel any better, published packages rarely list git dependencies. It's really meant for development like I said, where you need to temporarily redirect your dependency to a specific commit or branch somewhere.

Ughh ... I'm not sure this is fine, but anyway. Not about github going down (duh, github will be with us forever), but how about taking over repositories, typosquatting or other forms of injecting unknown/unwanted code. I mean, how can one trust what npm has to offer when npm has no way of checking its offerings? In what universe does that make any sense? And that documentation sample that I just posted is a perfect example of "no brain cells were used in the making of this thing". How can it be possible to get things from a 3rd party location without me telling you specifically to do so and say that "it's fine" with a straight face?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Oh, I thought that the complaint was about Python scoping generally rather than just talking about nonlocal specifically

The complaint seemed to suggest that you can't declare where a variable lives, but that's actually just the default behavior

Yes, the problem is that in Python, any assignment is an implicit declaration that the variable lives in the assignment scope, unless it has been declared nonlocal in the same scope... unless it's a global, I think?
So in Python 1 and 2 you can't reassign a variable that lives in an outer function scope from an inner function, but have to use "tricks" like making the thing you want to reassign a member of something or a dict entry. (This alone is reason enough for me to prefer Python 3.)

return0
Apr 11, 2007

canis minor posted:

Every time I look up at babel.js/react.js/JSX combo I get angry. It's just one big why.

The why is you, as React is actually pretty good.

Volguus posted:

It doesn't store things in github, yet it manages to depend on github (that is, get hosed when github doesn't work). Specific example? How about the documentation:

Python pip and Ruby gems are identical in this regard.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

GenJoe posted:

what's preventing a post-install script from reading ~/.gnupg? how is that locked down?

signed packages *might* be a step up but you have to define your threat model and figure out what each technology helps with.

blindly going "hurr durr signed packages will fix this" isn't how we should be doing security in 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

here's a recent example of typo squatting https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/08/02/typosquatting_npm/

It's definitely a problem and I have no idea how you fix something like that. NPM did take some steps to try and mitigate project hijacking, by removing the ability to unpublish projects, and by removing force pushing over existing project versions, but with semver that doesn't really matter because people will mostly automatically download new patch versions anyway, so an attacker can just upload their exploit as a new patch-level update and it'll spread just as easily.

The 3rd party dependency thing is tricky, idk you're right that there's no way to verify those, but being able to point to a specific tarball or git branch when you're developing really is immensely helpful. Maybe they should enforce that projects on their public repository can only list other npm-hosted projects as dependencies, but if you're working with something locally or if it's hosted on a private repository then you can do whatever the gently caress you want.

GenJoe fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Aug 30, 2017