Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/WFLARyan/status/902676664655777794

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Party Plane Jones posted:

You work at the pita pit? :rimshot:
i am the pita pit

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shbobdb posted:

So why were we terrorbombing them?

are you dumb

we were terrorbombing them in the hopes that if we bombed enough civilians their morale would break and they would overthrow the nazi regime and surrender instead of needing to be invaded.

bomber harris basically spent every waking moment he wasn't planning bombing raids explaining his theory that if you bombed them enough they would surrender without needing to be invaded. it wasn't some psychological ploy so that when we finally did invade they would have a greater understanding they were beaten. where the gently caress did you get that idea.

the more realistic reason we were terrorbombing them was because bombers were so inaccurate the only real way to use them effectively was to bomb entire cities and hope the factory got hit, you couldn't effectively target just industry. so a virtue was made of the reality that bombing a factory meant bombing poo poo-tons of civilians, even if circumlocations like "we aren't trying to kill the workers, we're trying to de-house them by destroying their houses. at night. while we know they are in them. yes, we are trying to say this with a straight face."

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Jim "Mad Dog" Mattis, war criminal, is the adult in the room.

:tif:

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Covok posted:

FTFY

"Racism doesn't exist"
-Also, The Harvey Thread

I don't understand this focus on Houston. All cities matter.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

twice burned ice posted:

Looks like someone wants to get fired.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
What's the over/under on Mad Dog's continued tenure in this administration? 7 days?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Is this for real! :stonk:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

twice burned ice posted:

http://www.theonion.com/graphic/only-adult-left-trump-administration-named-mad-dog-56513

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Party Plane Jones posted:

Civilians are ultimately also a military resource, that and by 44 war production had spread out in a myriad of ways.

Fun fact, anti aircraft gun production tied up something like a fifth of yearly German war production that would have otherwise been focused on the Eastern front.

ultimately, given how few men were left to stuff into uniform by the end, every middle-aged german man who was killed was probably one less german who would have been given a gun and no training and shoved at the red army so you could try and justify it that way. ultimately though, i think you've got to characterize terror bombing as a failure: sure, it tied up a lot of german resources but it tied up a lot of allied ones as well that could have been better directed.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I feel like Mad Dog won't get fired but if he does he'll just rain the hammer down on this orange rear end in a top hat of a president instead

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

evilweasel posted:

this is a stupid thing that is based on your dumb idea that we are discussing if germans were surprised they lost wwi

this is another stupid thing you're doing. i don't care if an accurate statement was used as a justification for a bad thing. the statement is accurate even if it was used inaccurately to justify something bad.

to put this in another context, you are basically being a fundamentalist going "evolution? that's what the darwinists used to support eugenics! how can you support such a vile idea as evolution given that!"

germany did not surrender because of the blockade, any more than it surrendered because of allied terror bombing in wwii. i do not have any idea how you got this idea. the blockade helped but germany surrendered because its armies had been defeated in the field and had no realistic possibility of reversing that loss once they were driven out of their fortifications. the germans didn't want to be in wwi anymore, but they did not get the firm sense of "well we sure lost that war" that occurs when your country is occupied by an invading force and your armies have been shattered rather than just being in retreat

had the armistice not occured and the allies occupied germany or parts of germany prior to its surrender, i believe that the post-wwi german government would have been significantly more legitimate and wwii had a much greater chance of having been avoided. the german people didn't need to be personally injured more to instill some feeling of personal loss, that they personally lost the war, to punish them personally so they would not support wars in the future. they needed to see that the german nation had lost the war.

I feel like that's a bad argument.

How much of Germany should they have occupied?

If they had just taken the Ruhr, would Bavarians have been OK with the backstab myth? How much is necessary?

I don't think you are giving the German people enough credit when it comes to losing WWI. I also think we are talking across each other here. I think you are giving too much weight to the narrative of why the backstab myth arose when in reality is was just a super appealing lie. A super appealing lie that has happened in plenty of other, non-German cultures as well. People lapped it up because it soothed their ego.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

i mean the us had bombs and bombers, what were they gonna do NOT terrorbomb?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Charlz Guybon posted:

All models are wrong, this far out. If a bunch of models start to agree, hm.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Calibanibal posted:

i mean the us had bombs and bombers, what were they gonna do NOT terrorbomb?

Additionally, the Russians were really kicking German rear end. The Capitalist powers weren't going to sit by and let the Russians say they won the war so they had to do something.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Translation: he's going to drown the ban in red tape committees and studies until the courts call it bullshit.

Shbobdb posted:

I feel I should be married to Charlotte McKinney. Guess what: I'm not.

Feeling something doesn't make it true or even valid.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 30, 2017

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Has anything like this happened before?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Translation: he's going to drown the ban in red tape committees and studies until the courts call it bullshit.

God bless him.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

Forecasts more than 5 days ahead are still pretty inaccurate. Wait for the weekend to freak out about next week.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Annointed posted:

Looks like someone wants to get fired.

Trump fires Mattis, Trump loses the military vote.

They loving love the guy. Democrat, Republican, doesn't matter. Mattis is their man.

Firing Mattis would be the thing that gets Trump below the 25% approval line.

Also Trump won't do poo poo to Mattis because Trump is a giant manchild that likes big strong daddies to tell him what to do, and military heroes are the strongest daddies Trump can find.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Charlz Guybon posted:

Maybe, its a real prediction, but no one knows what will happen. The Gulf is still super warm, so it might be able to spin up another huge storm

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

dear trump: name me sec of defense i will implement your horrible dumb policy. whats the salary for a secretary

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Rookersh posted:

They loving love the guy. Democrat, Republican, doesn't matter. Mattis is their man.

Also Trump won't do poo poo to Mattis because Trump is a giant manchild that likes big strong daddies to tell him what to do, and military heroes are the strongest daddies Trump can find.

lol

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Rookersh posted:

Even better. Or the alternative is that Trump is forced to keep him around and be forced to endure this humiliation for a long while.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

There Bias Two posted:

"Don't ask, don't tell, don't pursue" had to be expanded to "don't harass" because a lot of people in the military (including military higher ups) were using harassment to establish sufficient grounds for investigations as a workaround to the "don't pursue".

It didn't go as high as the Secretary of Defense but it went pretty high.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mattis loving akbar.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

There Bias Two posted:

Yes, but not this publicly or obviously.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

this, he knows its lovely dumb policies that no one outside trump and some evangelical/alt right types want done. he will sit on it or send it through various studies and commities until either the courts kill it or trump forgets.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I think Trump is genuinely scared/intimidated/awed by Mattis, in a way he's not with McMaster.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Trump Thread II: giant manchild that likes big strong daddies

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

There Bias Two posted:

Pretty sure Trump's order stated the SecDef could have input on implementing the order for people already serving.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/PfeifferDC/status/902648626224214016

Hmmmm

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Terry Pratchett

If you're talking bad on Terry we're gonna have to go out back and have a conversation. :toughguy:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Seriously, the military bureaucracy's ability to follow but not follow orders by invoking studies and committees and all manner of procedural bullshit is legendary.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

I feel I should be married to Charlotte McKinney. Guess what: I'm not.

Feeling something doesn't make it true or even valid.

If you expanded on that point to include, "I used to date Charlotte McKinney and we were even briefly engaged" then I'd say that is a justified feeling.

Fun fact: statements aren't taken in isolation but exist in a constellation of context. Read more than a tweet's length next time.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shbobdb posted:

How much of Germany should they have occupied?

If they had just taken the Ruhr, would Bavarians have been OK with the backstab myth? How much is necessary?

I don't think you are giving the German people enough credit when it comes to losing WWI. I also think we are talking across each other here. I think you are giving too much weight to the narrative of why the backstab myth arose when in reality is was just a super appealing lie. A super appealing lie that has happened in plenty of other, non-German cultures as well. People lapped it up because it soothed their ego.

i think they should have occupied significant portions of the country and that the fighting should have ended with a surrender rather than an armistice. i do not see any way in which asking me for a specific percentage is any sort of useful argument instead of a stupid attempt to bog me down in nonsense instead of arguing why it's a bad argument.

i am not characterizing the backstab myth as the sole cause of WWII, but a significant contributor to it. i specifically do not believe that the harshness of the terms of the treaty of Versailles were responsible for WWI, and view that as a myth: the terms were fairly reasonable given the era, the devastation caused by the war, and that germany lost. there is a general understanding that the german nation did not ever really buy into the post-WWI world order and that its refusal to do so is a major factor in wwii. these days, that is commonly laid at the feet of the treaty and its war guilt/reparations clauses. i view that as a myth, and the major factor in germany's refusal to accept the post-wwi world order was the failure of the civilian population to be forced to realize the german nation had definitively lost wwi. didn't even need to be the official "stab in the back" myth where the jews/communists/traitors did it. plenty seem to have believed that they negotiated an honorable peace and that the french and uk then didn't honor that honorable peace and imposed versailles.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

Additionally, the Russians were really kicking German rear end. The Capitalist powers weren't going to sit by and let the Russians say they won the war so they had to do something.

What sort of hosed up bizarro history book did you get this information from?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

God bless him.

People in this thread give him tons of poo poo but Mattis is intensely respected within the military for a reason.

evilweasel posted:

these days, that is commonly laid at the feet of the treaty and its war guilt/reparations clauses. i view that as a myth, and the major factor in germany's refusal to accept the post-wwi world order was the failure of the civilian population to be forced to realize the german nation had definitively lost wwi. didn't even need to be the official "stab in the back" myth where the jews/communists/traitors did it. plenty seem to have believed that they negotiated an honorable peace and that the french and uk then didn't honor that honorable peace and imposed versailles.

It's important to note that the German economy also basically collapsed after this, so that + the Weimar Republic being basically useless + the sex liberalization / communist surge led to Nazis being able to garner a lot of popular support.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 30, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Or Trump loses his poo poo and fires Mattis.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

WeAreTheRomans posted:

What's the over/under on Mad Dog's continued tenure in this administration? 7 days?

God bless you, you used that term right :unsmith:

But yeah, 7 seems about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
The winner of this WWI slapfight is the one who can tie it back to Trump the best

• Locked thread