Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Plus Danny DeVito is going to die sooner or later and honestly while Season 1 was good, Frank makes it funnier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

As amazing as the whole cast is, it would not have survived this long without Devito.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

He is definitely the big name that helped it survive in the early going and joined specifically because his kids liked the show and asked him to be a part of it. In fact in one of his earliest scenes where he meets another elderly person for a date but then gropes and ogles his young waitress. That waitress is played by his daughter.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

She was great in Deadbeat. That show was good.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Always Sunny is still going? Good God!

trickybiscuits posted:

Recently I got the entire run of Reno 911! on dvd. Humor about incompetent cops abusing their authority has aged . . . weirdly.
Following up this comment to add that suddenly the show's affable klansman is uncomfortable in a way that wasn't intended. Still pretty funny though.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I think the X-Files has a special case for it being outdated, and that's due to it being a real child of the '90s. Living through the 2000s where those types of conspiracy nuts to be emotionally-damaged bigots who need a superiority boost just takes the luster off of the show and my memories of it. If the X-Files wanted to really showcase what it was all about, it would have another season where everybody is a screaming bigot who is screaming for Trump to save them and then show them doing it for the cash as their mental illnesses go untreated and they start to lose control of their lives.

Also, at this point the idea of the government being controlled by a bunch of shadowy men is a loving cliche.
The X-Files is weird because the conspiracy episodes have aged terribly but some of the MotW episodes are still very good. I've got a soft spot for Die Handt Die Verletzt; the creepy substitute teacher lady in that episode showed up as a White House tour guide on Flight of the Conchords, which was pretty cool.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
IASIP is good but it's losing steam and I hope they know when to quit

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Season 11 was where it started feeling off to me. Just a lot of recycled material and things getting too wacky. It's still a good show from what I've seen, but definitely not as good as it was.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
The second chardeemacdennis episode wasn't nearly as funny. It felt so stale in comparison

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Instant Sunrise posted:

All I remember about ER was that they had an rear end in a top hat doctor being stalked by helicopters.

Rocket Romano, who got his arm chopped off by a helicopter, and then next season was killed... by a helicopter falling off the roof and splattering him.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

54 40 or gently caress posted:

The second chardeemacdennis episode wasn't nearly as funny. It felt so stale in comparison

Really? I was never a huge fan of the first one so I groaned when the second started, but I feel like the last five or six minutes of the second one turn it around into one of my favorite episodes.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

eating only apples posted:

Rocket Romano, who got his arm chopped off by a helicopter, and then next season was killed... by a helicopter falling off the roof and splattering him.

The episode where he dies really hosed me up.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Another homophobic Married with Children episode had Al's favorite barber dying forcing Al and his buddies to have to go to a *GASP* hair salon! Of course, the men working there were flaming and Al and his friends end up with effeminate haircuts and mannerisms.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

YeahTubaMike posted:

I really liked that episode all the way around (and not because of the helicopter-death scene, although it was a fantastic "HOLKY poo poo!" moment).

A TV station here has started rerunning ER again and I'll find myself binge-watching when it's on, and I still enjoy it. I think whoever it was upthread who said TV shows with interchangeable cast members tend to age better was right, if for no other reason than it's a pattern that mimics life. People quit or find better jobs or get squashed by helicopters, and the world just keeps right on turning.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
A lot of The Shield has aged pretty poorly because it tried so hard to show that this ain't your daddy's basic cable cop show in a way that looks hilarious to modern eyes, but nothing tops the end of the first episode: there's a huge dramatic moment that more or less the entire rest of the series hinges on and the entire scene is set to a loving Kid Rock song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUMedltaieg

This is not edited in any way.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

trickybiscuits posted:

Always Sunny is still going? Good God!

Following up this comment to add that suddenly the show's affable klansman is uncomfortable in a way that wasn't intended. Still pretty funny though.

The X-Files is weird because the conspiracy episodes have aged terribly but some of the MotW episodes are still very good. I've got a soft spot for Die Handt Die Verletzt; the creepy substitute teacher lady in that episode showed up as a White House tour guide on Flight of the Conchords, which was pretty cool.

The main plot episodes were always kind of terrible though. While having more serialized TV shows is cool, I do wish shows would still sometimes have stand alone episodes. Sometimes there are cool plots that don't really work if they are tied into a larger and longer narrative.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

A lot of The Shield has aged pretty poorly because it tried so hard to show that this ain't your daddy's basic cable cop show in a way that looks hilarious to modern eyes, but nothing tops the end of the first episode: there's a huge dramatic moment that more or less the entire rest of the series hinges on and the entire scene is set to a loving Kid Rock song.

I just saw The Shield for the first time this summer and I thought it was really effective, but yeah you have to take the time period into context. A time period where Kid Rock’s “Devil Without A Cause” album won a Grammy

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Arrested Development is a relatively recent show, but one of the later episodes has George doing a "scared straight" speech to what he thought were at risk youths but were in fact gay teens, and the teens were super tempted by how George described prison life. It was the old joke about how prison was nothing but gay sex and is really awkward.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

YeahTubaMike posted:

It was the last ER episode I ever bothered with, mostly because the whole death scene was done on a level of Wile E. Coyote. While I appreciate the madness of it, it really seemed like the writers had just run out of things to do at that point and were going to see how far they could push NBC before the series ended.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The main plot episodes were always kind of terrible though. While having more serialized TV shows is cool, I do wish shows would still sometimes have stand alone episodes. Sometimes there are cool plots that don't really work if they are tied into a larger and longer narrative.

I should admit that right after I poo poo on the X-Files I almost bought the entire thing on blu-ray. So I'm a hypocrite on some level, but a nostalgic one. Oh well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Last Chance posted:

I just saw The Shield for the first time this summer and I thought it was really effective, but yeah you have to take the time period into context. A time period where Kid Rock’s “Devil Without A Cause” album won a Grammy

Nah, Kid Rock was only nominated.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
The T.V. series of My Brother My Brother and Me has an episode where the brothers try to connect with teenagers, which came out in February this year. On a recent episode of the My Brother My Brother and Me podcast they talk about how that episode is already dated, most notably due to the lack of fidget spinners when they're talking about kid's fads.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

That reminds me of the season 2 finale of The O.C.. Now, I haven't actually watched that show myself, but apparently it was a fairly dramatic moment complete with a character death and everything. And then they put it to this music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D46LisJJzBQ

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I really liked that episode all the way around (and not because of the helicopter-death scene, although it was a fantastic "HOLKY poo poo!" moment).

A TV station here has started rerunning ER again and I'll find myself binge-watching when it's on, and I still enjoy it. I think whoever it was upthread who said TV shows with interchangeable cast members tend to age better was right, if for no other reason than it's a pattern that mimics life. People quit or find better jobs or get squashed by helicopters, and the world just keeps right on turning.

Helicopter episode is amazing. I think ER has dated pretty well, apart from some outdated medical stuff. Maybe it's because the show is so centred around the hospital. There's not much of the outside world shown, so it's pretty timeless.

The stabbing episodes still make me cry.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Perestroika posted:

That reminds me of the season 2 finale of The O.C.. Now, I haven't actually watched that show myself, but apparently it was a fairly dramatic moment complete with a character death and everything. And then they put it to this music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D46LisJJzBQ

The thing that's baffling about the song choice is that the dude she shoots is a super reprehensible bad guy and he doesn't even die. OF COURSE he falls into a coma.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Devil without a cause was a great album

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

oldpainless posted:

Devil without a cause was a great album

For a clown to listen to

In the circus

Idiot

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Agreed.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
more like oldcauseless

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Perestroika posted:

Also it doesn't help that SNL parodied this with "Dear Sister."

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Nah, Kid Rock was only nominated.

Ohh yeah, somehow I had it lodged in my brain that he'd actually won, but still, what a different time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Last Chance posted:

Ohh yeah, somehow I had it lodged in my brain that he'd actually won, but still, what a different time.

I think he was nominated for Best Rock Album or Best Rock Song or somesuch, but only after he stopped rapping and started doing Lynyrd Skynyrd ripoffs. I believe he lost to Coldplay, curiously enough, who I've never really thought of as a rock band.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Instant Sunrise posted:

Also it doesn't help that SNL parodied this with "Dear Sister."

Beat me to it, but here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmd1qMN5Yo0

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I always/only know that parody from the further parody of AMVHells

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts2Lc_nsXsU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

JediTalentAgent posted:

I always/only know that parody from the further parody of AMVHells

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts2Lc_nsXsU

What the gently caress is this?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Perestroika posted:

Thing that didn't age well from that video, Ben McKenzie's hair.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Remember in the early 2000s when every show had to use a cover of Hallelujah during emotional scenes? Not just teen dramas either.

It'll be easy to date shows from the mid 2000s because they all used 'how to save a life' or 'chasing cars' at least once in their run.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
When you think about, the internet saved us from mediocre music.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SEX BURRITO posted:

Remember in the early 2000s when every show had to use a cover of Hallelujah during emotional scenes? Not just teen dramas either.

Mostly because of Shrek, I believe.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I like how All Star is more known because of Shrek than the movie it was made for, or at least the movie that featured in it's music video.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Guy Mann posted:

Is there a better way to introduce the villains of a show than to show them trying to act hard and start their downfall to a kid rock song, though?

The shield is awesome, and did the whole villain as a protagonist thing well before breaking bad did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Croccers posted:

I like how All Star is more known because of Shrek than the movie it was made for, or at least the movie that featured in it's music video.

Rat Race? The end of Rat Race is basically a Smash Mouth music video. There's a bunch of late 90s / early 00s conedy films where the band playing the soundtrack single shows up. I don't know if it was consciously emulating 1950s teen movies but it's not aged well, because it was almost always ska bands.

The last shot of every movie should be accompanied by "All Star" kicking in. It would be much funnier.