Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

El Burbo posted:

The monster meat doesn't even do anything if it's cooked, as seen with sonic

thats monster cells which is not the same as monster meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Why did Genos just stand there staring at Boros ship doing absolutely nothing and being completely useless? I hope his rank didn't go up.
Genos was literally the only guy who said "hey maybe we should destroy the flying battleship" you cant hold his metal feet to the fire for this one

He also fought the G4 Robot that tried to kill King and im pretty sure he would've beaten the Sea King if he didn't get Acid'd by being a great hero, he managed to knock him out of his Strong Wet Form

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sea King would gently caress Genos' world up as of the last we've seen of him fighting and probably true of his most recent upgrades.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Sea King would gently caress Genos' world up as of the last we've seen of him fighting and probably true of his most recent upgrades.

Genos had it in the bag if he 1) didn't let his guard down like an idiot after the suckerpunch and 2) didn't sacrifice himself for a little girl.

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
I remember ONE confirming that if Genos didn't get acid'd he would have won his fight against Sea King.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
idk, Genos beat the Sea King in a punch rush with only one arm so i think my dude had it on lock if he didn't get called to serve a higher purpose

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I remember Genos not winning, getting tanned and ifs and buts not counting and that he's a little chumpbot.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Kild posted:

thats monster cells which is not the same as monster meat.

According to you, Angry Man's the next Onepunchman.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

I refuse to believe that Genos is stronger than the rapist

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

And More posted:

According to you, Angry Man's the next Onepunchman.

If he does a nice routine like Saitama sure or if you don't you just become Pig God.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Radish posted:

We haven't seen the result of him eating it I thought. (I'm guessing that 99% that you are right because that's the joke, just not that it was confirmed)

The narration said that it just gave him a stomachache.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Isn't that the clone guy in the second panel? Or is that the demon fan dude?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
My Saitama power theory is still it having something to do with desire or obsession or whatever. Boxing light cord guy boxed his light cord a lot, so he became a monster that was good at punching. That one car monster guy was obsessed with cars, and he became a car (monster). Crablante loving loved crab and ate a lot of crab, and so he became a crab. Saitama trained to become the strongest hero, and he became the strongest hero. (And maybe a monster? He's impossibly far beyond any other human, at the least.)

Obviously just wanting something isn't quite enough, but early on that whole "obsessed person becomes a monster" thing kind of got hammered on once every chapter or two, so it kind of stuck with me. It's clearly not the only source of monsters, but it is definitely a source of them.

Also kind of implies to me that Garou might become a monster because of his desire to... Be a monster. What kind of monster would that make, anyway? Besides a strong one because he's already really strong.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah, the underlying theme of One Punch Man is that becoming too singleminded in your goals leads to destruction. Saitama, Crablante, the guy who's half car, all of them followed their loves and dreams as far as they could and all of them are less happy because of it. Genos is dangerously close to walking down the same path as Saitama, wanting to be the strongest hero he can and obssessed with revenge against whoever destroyed his village (that subplot's been forgotten about so it doesn't really work.) Fubuki wants to be as strong as Tatsumaki, but constantly comes up against insurmountable walls, only by being a leader to her followers does she find happiness. Even King has become so entrenched in the lie he's living that he's a walking anxiety attack more than half the time.

In contrast is Licence-less Rider, who has accepted his position in life and is perfectly happy doing what he does. Not that he's not trying to be stronger, but he's found peace with hinmself

It's less so a theory, and moreso the story ONE wants to tell of obsession and depression versus What It Means To Be A Hero and inspire others and yourself despite of it

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 30, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well, it was Metal Knight, right? Metal Knight obviously destroyed his village.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Nah, I don't think it was him though he's probably connected to them.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Well Drive Knight warns him that Metal Knight is the enemy he seeks.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is that what the official translation says? Because in other translations he just says Metal Knight is his enemy, not the specific person he's looking for. Metal Knight doesn't appear to be a cyborg either.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If I were can a movie, Saitama would be played by Christopher Mintz Plasse, but he'd have to do Saitama's routine for at least a year. But the thing is, when he gets serious and they do close ups, he'd be played by Vin Diesel. Genos would be played by Hiro Mizushima.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Karl Pilkington is still the ideal live-action everyday Saitama because he can nail the bored confusion

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
All he says is that Metal Knight is his "enemy" and that Genos will understand what he meant soon. Metal Knight is also the only other character aside from Genos's doctor dad with any extensive expertise in robotics if you don't count Child Emperor's Doc Oct's legs so it's not really a stretch.

also i really like Metal Knight's "remotely controlled suit" gimmick, it's a shame he's the shittiest S Class on a personal level

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't know, there's that one S class who rapes dudes. He's the Bueno Excelente of OPM

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Al Borland Corp. posted:

If I were can a movie, Saitama would be played by Christopher Mintz Plasse, but he'd have to do Saitama's routine for at least a year. But the thing is, when he gets serious and they do close ups, he'd be played by Vin Diesel. Genos would be played by Hiro Mizushima.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't know, there's that one S class who rapes dudes. He's the Bueno Excelente of OPM
*In Dave Chappelle voice*
Yeah but is it worse to be a rapist who saves people or an rear end in a top hat who lets people die instead of working together?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Isn't that the clone guy in the second panel? Or is that the demon fan dude?

I think it's actually the B-lister from the first Blizzard side story, holy poo poo he made the big leagues. :aaaaa:

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

I think it's actually the B-lister from the first Blizzard side story, holy poo poo he made the big leagues. :aaaaa:

Yes, it's him!

The next greatest hero!
I hope he is not not skipping a day.

Captain Quack fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 30, 2017

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I am constantly amazed people give a poo poo where power comes in a joke manga.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Captain Quack posted:

Yes, it's him!

The next greatest hero!
I hope he is not not skipping a day.

I'm glad he made it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mumin Rider doesn't seem like someone who would skip a day. Though maybe he would just always stop in the middle to try to help someone.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mulva posted:

I am constantly amazed people give a poo poo where power comes in a joke manga.

That's because a lot of people haven't read the original, which is very clearly a joke manga.

The Murata version takes itself a lot more seriously, even if only by virtue of having considerably more detailed art.

Impressions matter. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if there are people who've never heard of the original version and think this whole series is 100% serious. (these are also the same people who think Dragonaball Z is 100% serious)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I haven't ever read the ONE version and I still quickly got from the Murata version that it isn't a serious manga.

You'd have to be blind not to get that.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.
Probably more about the anime than the manga. It attracted a lot of the shounen fans that love to compare power levels, and kinda missed the joke. I imagine this thread of conversation comes up so often because the chapters are released slow enough there's not much to talk about. A chapter drops, a page or so of gushing about Murata's art, pointing out some of the more subtle callbacks, and then... not much else. There's only so much you can speculate about how hard Saitama is gonna punch something.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

if you don't think ONE has a joke prepared for the reveal that caped baldy is the only one stupid enough to regularly eat monsters idk what to say.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/NEBU_KURO/status/902492614057910274

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Murata you have my permission to continue the Fubuki content...

Maybe in a context where she kisses the best hero, K I N G.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think it would be kind of funny if he's been eating tons of monsters and thinking nothing of it.

Like I said, if it answered the mystery of why he went bald but didn't necessarily have anything to do with his power that would be even funnier.

i support this theory

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Murata you have my permission to continue the Fubuki content...

Maybe in a context where she kisses the best hero, K I N G.

im the best hero

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I think he just took steroids.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Whoah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010