Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
I was able to turtle through Golem and Sealion using Alphanaud. Radiant Shield is very useful for these fights.

Also who knew the 5* ninja abilities would be so useful? Ninjas can crank out damage in the magicite fights. If you're struggling with DPS it's definitely not a bad way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Funkutron5000 posted:

I was able to turtle through Golem and Sealion using Alphanaud. Radiant Shield is very useful for these fights.

Also who knew the 5* ninja abilities would be so useful? Ninjas can crank out damage in the magicite fights. If you're struggling with DPS it's definitely not a bad way to go.

Edge is MVP for me. When geared for magic on a mage team he's so awesome. His Last Stand physical blink SSB makes him amazing.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Edge is MVP for me. When geared for magic on a mage team he's so awesome. His Last Stand physical blink SSB makes him amazing.

I really want to pull another relic for him, I have his SSB and it's great, but outside of magicite dungeons ninja magic usually never even comes close to my other dps sources. Not having access to wrath / lifesiphon hurts, too.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm lucky enough to have Yuffie's USB. Paired with one of the SB building RMs she becomes a DPS and healing machine with very little downtime.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I really want to pull another relic for him, I have his SSB and it's great, but outside of magicite dungeons ninja magic usually never even comes close to my other dps sources. Not having access to wrath / lifesiphon hurts, too.

He builds meter pretty fast if your ninja spells hit it weakness and you give him Battleforged or Ace Striker.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
So I'm curious about how the fest/30th banners work. I know new ones are going to be released every two days, but will the previous ones remain pull-able, or will they replaced by the new banners?

Like can I pull on the 13-15 banner on the last day and do another 1-3 pull, or will Banner 1 be long gone?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Generally the festival banners replace each other as they go.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Man, I'm loving the Magicite content. I'm more looking forward to getting more Keystones each day than Mythril now, because I need to try to get another 3* magicite or I hit upon another strategy to try and cut seconds off my clearing time.

I should be trying to get Liquid Flame or Fenrir tomorrow, but I really want to tango with Bismarck again to try to get Mastery.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Man, I'm loving the Magicite content. I'm more looking forward to getting more Keystones each day than Mythril now, because I need to try to get another 3* magicite or I hit upon another strategy to try and cut seconds off my clearing time.

I should be trying to get Liquid Flame or Fenrir tomorrow, but I really want to tango with Bismarck again to try to get Mastery.

Somebody motivate me to actually beat the Nightmare bosses so I can try Magicite content. I've only beaten the Ultima, Crushdown, Northern Cross, and Quadruple Foul ones.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Alxprit posted:

Somebody motivate me to actually beat the Nightmare bosses so I can try Magicite content. I've only beaten the Ultima, Crushdown, Northern Cross, and Quadruple Foul ones.

All the other nightmare abilities except maybe Reraise are much better than the ones you listed. Like you literally just listed off the worst ones.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
If nothing else, get that Meltdown record beat. That skill is crazy good and lets black mages hit wind vulnerabilities.

The Nightmare dungeons have been thoroughly powercreeped, so even if you don't like the gimmicks, just brute force em.

Magicites are fun once you manage to beat their dungeons. I've only downed Bismark so far, and when summoned, he casts fire blink on the party and does a pretty freaking strong 4-hit aoe attack (after some leveling), followed up by popping back up every so often to waterslap the enemy again. The sub-magicites can also give some nice bonuses. This is a pretty big step in power creep, so I'm sure future content will assume you have something here.

If absolutely nothing else, it's good to unlock the magicite dungeons so that you can start getting keystones every day for when you are stronger. You can get up to 15. Having them available also means being able to determine first-hand where you should focus your gear draws based on how well you can do on these bosses.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011

Alxprit posted:

You should try beating Dervish because Atomos is a hilariously easy boss you can out-damage before it can get any turns off.

Also, consider beating Meltdown cause the skill is really, really good.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Yeah, the issue is just the gimmicks of the bosses. I know that some of them are easy but making and kitting out a whole different team for all of them is just really annoying to me. I have to get it done at some point, I know.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Fully dived Cid Raines and Yshtola :feelsgood:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If nothing else, clearing the Magicite dungeons gets you 6 Mythril and 120 assorted Crystals.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

If nothing else, clearing the Magicite dungeons gets you 6 Mythril and 120 assorted Crystals.

I'm suddenly 2 White Crystals off R2 Curada because of this, after writing off any hope of that for months given how rare those things are.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i got my Omega Drive to R3 thanks to magicite dungeons

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
Well, with 2 holy OSBs that jump start made me feel like a whale...

After a day of trying I got a group together that could beat liquid flame.

Tidus did the majority of the damage, via BSB --> OSB while OK and Ramza would keep their shout/vessel up and otherwise wrath -> entrust to Tidus.

Terra was on wall duty then would do water magic until she could BSB1 and use chaos watera (priority always went to re-wall around 30 seconds in). This is the weakest link, but I don't really have a better person to put in here.

OK & Ramza were on wrath -> Entrust (Tidus) duty. They also would take a potshot at liquid flame when he was in his tornado form to try and push him out of that before he would Chaos Firaga. I wouldn't start entrusting until after getting shout up and then Tidus got off his BSB on his own. Then, it was push 4-5 OSBs to Tidus as fast as you could while recasting Shout/Vessel after each had been up for ~20-25 seconds (and learning to seriously pay attention to this).

Relm usually BSB's once after getting going ,then after 2-3 OSBs would do her USB the next time the group as a whole was hurt; the bubble and combo instant cast next action helps burst him down as he gets more dangerous.

With this, I've cleared him at just barely under 1 minute a few times, and its taking a lot less retries as it gets going. It was nice getting it done, but I don't have a Tidus-like person to help carry me in other setups...

Hawkeye fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Aug 30, 2017

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Alxprit posted:

Yeah, the issue is just the gimmicks of the bosses. I know that some of them are easy but making and kitting out a whole different team for all of them is just really annoying to me. I have to get it done at some point, I know.

At this point you can ignore the gimmicks of nearly all of the bosses, especially if you don't care too much about mastery.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Ybrik posted:

Fully dived Cid Raines and Yshtola :feelsgood:

:same: almost skipped this torment too until I saw spirit notes being given out

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

acumen posted:

:same: almost skipped this torment too until I saw spirit notes being given out

Spirit you say? Perhaps Agrias will get that Dive soon after all.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
You go, girl. The supposedly bad OSB Lightning's Thunderfall hit for damage cap vs 300 red dragon. Without Cloud USB.

Vaan's rip and tear your guts (and armor) scheme helped though.

Edit: Oh hey, Orlando gets his USB and Legend Dive. I'm sure it's something totally balanc...

Orlandeau USB - 12xST Critical Holy/Dark physical dmg, self Critical =100% and EX Mode "Sword Saint" (self ATK +50% and double cast Knight/Darkness abilities with >1 uses remaining by expending 2 uses)

Well then.

What about the Legend Materia.

LM1 - Small physical dmg up

Sure that's pretty much what everyone else got, what about the LM2?

LM2 - Start battle with infinite Haste and Instant Cast 3

Oh okay. Infinite haste, I guess that's a thing now.

LMR - Low chance to double cast Knight or Darkness abilities

Neutral Zone Trap fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 30, 2017

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010
Torment gave me enough motes to legend dive Papalymo, so I took him out for a spin.

What a beast. That'll do!

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Hey, they're just following the source material. Nevermind that he was completely broken in tactics either (or that his power in the game might be explained by the plot being told secondhand by an unreliable narrator).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

saltylopez posted:

(or that his power in the game might be explained by the plot being told secondhand by an unreliable narrator).

Dang, this makes a lot of sense.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

way to go steve posted:

Torment gave me enough motes to legend dive Papalymo, so I took him out for a spin.

What a beast. That'll do!

What is your papa packing?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

It sounds more impressive than it is. It's just normal Haste that doesn't run out due to time. It can still be Dispelled or removed via Slow, and it doesn't stack with Haste. In practice, it's virtually identical to a standard Haste + IC3 legend materia -- which don't get me wrong is extremely good, especially for Mr. "My two best SBs to this point take 4 seconds to cast", but it's not really anything more than a nod to FFT's auto-Haste Excalibur.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

Snazzy Frocks posted:

What is your papa packing?

BSB only, full legend dive. Red armlet from keeper's choice 2 for +fire armor. Actually had to throw 9 rosettas in his weapon to get him to his six hit breakpoint a buff sooner, wish I had the mag from leylines mastery or something.

Setup was edge using ssb2 then a couple fire veils, switching to smoldering fire once I got a party buff going (only r2). Ramza had dr mogs rm, first turn entrusted to papa. Then wrath once, entrust to alph, wrath again, entrust to porom. He used no sbs at all. Papa summoned rw first turn then went into bsb. Porom cast faith on papa, then alph, then summoned the imperil magicite, then used bsb for buff. Alph used shell, 1-2 meltdowns depending on who got bar from being attacked, then deployment tactics and the rest of the meltdowns.

This setup got papa throwing doublecasted 6 hit bsb cmds as quickly as I think I can manage with the relics I have. Edge blinks made protectga unnecessary, and last stand is a nice safety net.

On that run papa doublecasted all but one attack, but I've done it 3 times so far and it's very repeatable. I think having one really strong damage character legend dived for each of these fights is my goal right now.

Stirdog
Oct 11, 2012

way to go steve posted:

On that run papa doublecasted all but one attack, but I've done it 3 times so far and it's very repeatable. I think having one really strong damage character legend dived for each of these fights is my goal right now.

It's interesting how much of a leg up a legend dive gives for these fights. I finished Noctis and Y'shtola and they have made a huge difference for my completions. Those two have been helpful across the board but I can see how the more elementally or doublecast focused dives would help you nail one boss specifically.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010
They really do. I have a legend dived fujin with everything but lmr and she was just nuts against golem. Right now I'm feeling kind of lacking for the others, though I did do first clear/mastery on them all.

Maria is excellent for hydra. Her lm2 isn't super exciting, but I'm considering giving her the 40 spi/wis motes it would take to get all her earth dmg up stuff. I have a couple decent things for bismark, lightning bsb2, rapha bsb, shantotto chain. But no real strong doublecast enelement nonsense to lean on.

My best ice dmg is dived celes with bsb2, which again isn't quite doing what a dedicated enelement would. Ayame or edea or squall would be excellent. And for liquid flame I have zero water sbs. Just got through him spamming ninja magic, not going to do that again until I pull something nice, hopefully fest will be kind.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
What's the difference between a physical attack and a Non-Elemental physical attack?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

ceaselessfuture posted:

What's the difference between a physical attack and a Non-Elemental physical attack?

the latter has the element "Non-elemental", while the former just leaves the element field blank

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Sure, but in practice what does that effectively do? Do they target different defenses or something?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ceaselessfuture posted:

More specifically and without context, a "physical attack" would mean ANY physical attack, such as dismissal, lifesiphon, thundering twinstrike, saint cross, etc. While a non-elemental physical attack would only be those physical attacks that do NOT have an element (so no elemental spellblades, darkness abilities, holy knight stuff, etc). They would both target DEF; the only difference would be elemental resistances (or perhaps specific counter conditions, such as "counters physical lightning attacks" or something).

What is the question for? That might clear up things.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Just wondering the effective difference between, say, Vayne's BSB (Dark/Non-Elemental Physical) and Noctis' SSB (Physical).

I get that the Dark/NE split targets whichever does more damage, but otherwise am confused as to the difference between the other two.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

ceaselessfuture posted:

Sure, but in practice what does that effectively do?

nothing

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

ceaselessfuture posted:

Just wondering the effective difference between, say, Vayne's BSB (Dark/Non-Elemental Physical) and Noctis' SSB (Physical).

I get that the Dark/NE split targets whichever does more damage, but otherwise am confused as to the difference between the other two.

You pretty much got it. A lot of SBs are both elemental and non elemental so that you can use them against enemies that would otherwise resist them.

Think of the non-element part as kind of a bonus in versatility. You can always use it versus an elemental(s) only sb.

The drawback to a pure physical attack like noctis is you lose out on some elemental buffing options.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 30, 2017

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ceaselessfuture posted:

In that case there is no difference between "non-elemental physical" and "physical."
The reason they say "dark/non-elemental physical" is to clarify that it can work either way, with the element or without an element. Whereas for Noctis', they don't have to specify "non-elemental" because unless an element is listed you can assume it's non-elemental. If the attack has an element, the game will say so. If the game says nothing about an element, it's non-elemental. So there is zero difference between vayne's attack when it defaults to non-elemental (from hitting a resistance) and Noctis' attack; they're both non-elementally typed physical attacks.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Ah, gotcha, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Orlandeau USB - 12xST Critical Holy/Dark physical dmg, self Critical =100% and EX Mode "Sword Saint" (self ATK +50% and double cast Knight/Darkness abilities with >1 uses remaining by expending 2 uses)

LMR - Low chance to double cast Knight or Darkness abilities

Best thing about these two is that they released a 5 hit Holy Knight ability alongside his USB, which means Orlandeau has the potential to press one button while his USB is active and deal 100,000-150,000 damage without Cloud USB.

• Locked thread