Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

SpacePig posted:

Yeah, my dad insists that they adjusted the meanings of colors in rainfall maps and temperature maps so that things looks worse than they actually are. "They wouldn't be running out of colors if they hadn't changed them in the first place!" Yeah, because rain radar had a scale for, like, 5 feet of rain when it was first instituted.
They did, but just now, in response to Harvey.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/08/28/546776542/national-weather-service-adds-new-colors-so-it-can-map-harveys-rains

https://twitter.com/NWS/status/902174274571689984

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I haven't seen this movie in 30 years but I knew immediately what you were referencing.

I even go back and watch it again, every so often.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

reported for untagged :nws: tweets

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nJIMHjVdBU

Purse snatchers on scooters in Vietnam get wrecked by everybody after a failed attempt.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zipperelli. posted:

6 minutes and 40 seconds of idiots destroying luxury cars that they're woefully unprepared to be driving:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psmThFiZWmg

This is some of my favorite kinda schadenfreude.

Also call me pedantic but these are exotic cars, not luxury cars.

Also schadenfreude on "pretty sure that's a lambo dude" (Its a Bugatti :ssh:)

Yes, feed me

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 09:23 on Aug 30, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ekuNNN posted:

And fired his rifle three times actually.

A Neo-Nazi in Quebec City thinks it's a good plan to give a hitler salute to a group of antifascists:

:laffo:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ekuNNN posted:

And fired his rifle three times actually.

A Neo-Nazi in Quebec City thinks it's a good plan to give a hitler salute to a group of antifascists:

This is shameful. Somebody teach antifa how to do a decent double-leg.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/JPManga/status/902940877517053952

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
http://abc7news.com/archive/7946821/

2011:

quote:

Signs meant to show the dangers of a possible storm surge in Clear Lake are now being taken down. People who live near the signs say these constant reminders of possible flooding have a negative impact on home values.
Several of the signs were placed throughout the Clear Lake area, funded by FEMA. But at a time when the Clear Lake area is trying to rebound from massive NASA layoffs, real estate began fielding calls of concern over property values for homes near the signs.

"To a new person coming in from out of state and maybe never living in a place that hurricanes would hit, ya know, they might be afraid," Maki said.
After months of lobbying Houston City Councilman Mike Sullivan, the decision was made to pull the signs down.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Clear Lake sounds like a town straight out of a horror movie

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Because... It's still him; he couldn't escape?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

This is literally where I live. I can see the orbital vehicle from my apt window. And it's true i've never seen depth marker signs or other warning signs around here. :/ We didn't get hit that hard by the storm though and had power, so whatever i guess.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

magimix posted:

Because... It's still him; he couldn't escape?

Nah, it's Dara Khosrowshahi, who did enormously well as CEO of Expedia.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

1: if so, why the gently caress is he there?

2: corroborated?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

1: if so, why the gently caress is he there?

2: corroborated?

He's still a board member isn't he?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I can't recall the board attending a company all-hands anywhere I've been. Is that a common thing? Is the rest of the board there?

Even if they are, tbqh, he should have stayed home I think.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Is he wiping his tears on tissue made of $100 bill rolls?

No schad there imo, he's still worth more than all of us combined probably

What a weird tweet

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

I can't recall the board attending a company all-hands anywhere I've been. Is that a common thing? Is the rest of the board there?

I don't think that's a common thing, but might make sense when they're announcing the new CEO. Definitely should've stayed home, however.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't think that's a common thing, but might make sense when they're announcing the new CEO. Definitely should've stayed home, however.

Yeah, maybe given the context the board showing up to support would be good. Just not him.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Having lived in Houston previously, I am not at all surprised by this.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Uber had an all hands meeting with the board after some of the sexual harassment stuff. Which resulted in a board member being replaced for making a sexist joke in front of the whole company during an all hands meeting about Uber's sexism issues. They have had a couple of all hands meetings with the board there since then. One of the things to keep in mind that they don't just need a CEO but basically have to fill most of their C-level positions and a lot of the upper management positions under them. So you're way more likely to see the board at their meetings because the board is the closest thing the company has to senior management.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Travis was at the meeting and gave a speech about how he's made mistakes and how grateful he is that the the Expedia guy is taking the role and will do a good job. I mean it's his baby so he has to show his face.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Patent troll agrees to pay the person they sued to allow them to drop the case: https://eugene.kaspersky.com/2017/08/30/the-best-defense-is-attack-and-that-now-includes-when-fighting-patent-trolls/

Other coverage: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/08/kaspersky-lab-turns-the-tables-forces-patent-troll-to-pay-cash-to-end-case/ , https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/06/stupid-patent-month-wetro-lan-sues-entire-network-security-industry-expired

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Sorry if repost but saw this on my FB feed - Arpaio likely not off the hook with Trump's pardon

http://occupydemocrats.com/2017/08/30/judge-just-gave-trump-arpaio-bad-news-pardon/

quote:

This morning, Bolton ordered that the Department of Justice file a memo and scheduled a hearing for October 4th where the Trump team must publicly argue why a man who was so racist he was convicted of criminal contempt of court for refusing to end his discriminatory racial profiling policies deserves to walk free.

The state of Arizona will have their own chance to argue why Arpaio should not be pardoned, allowing them to publicly, and in great detail, list the full extent of the heinous crimes and misdeeds of Sheriff Joe Arpaio, which include running what he refers to as a concentration camp, torturing his inmates, forcing a woman to give birth in shackles, and refusing to investigate sex crimes against Latina children.

160 people have died in his jails, with little explanation and no consequences for the abusive guards or entire absence of oversight.

Trump is about to find out the hard way that in the United States of America, the President is not king. He cannot simply clap his hands and subvert the legal and judicial system of our nation because he wills it – a warning that all those currently under questioning in the Trump-Russia investigation would do well to remember.

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 01:31 on Aug 31, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/umQKc54.gifv

WOOF WOOF

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Sorry if repost but saw this on my FB feed - Arpaio likely not off the hook with Trump's pardon

http://occupydemocrats.com/2017/08/30/judge-just-gave-trump-arpaio-bad-news-pardon/

:gizz:

Edit: I feel bad for who ever the DoJ is going to have argue their case. Dude just having to do his job and defend 2 poo poo bags

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Ride The Gravitron posted:

:gizz:

Edit: I feel bad for who ever the DoJ is going to have argue their case. Dude just having to do his job and defend 2 poo poo bags

Dream hearing: Shitbag Sessions defending Shitbag Trump pardoning Shitbag Arpaio.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

This is a bunch of wankery. Seriously, there's not a single thing Occupy Democrats has ever produced that doesn't contain at least one major lie by omission, misrepresentation, or flat-out steaming pile of bullshit. That excerpt you posted contains all of them. Here's the actual story:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ents/614854001/

quote:

U.S. District Court Judge Susan Bolton canceled former Sheriff Joe Arpaio's upcoming sentencing hearing for his criminal contempt-of-court conviction, telling attorneys not to file replies to motions that were pending before his recent presidential pardon.

However, Bolton on Tuesday stopped short of throwing out the conviction based solely on Arpaio's request. Instead she ordered Arpaio and the U.S. Department of Justice, which is prosecuting the case, to file briefs on why she should or shouldn't grant Arpaio's request.

At issue is the *conviction*. The pardon holds, it's 100% within the Executive power to do it and a lowly district court sure as hell can't do anything about it. But Arpaio was convicted, and he asked the court to set aside that conviction, given that he was, you know, just pardoned. The court has declined to do so. That's it.

quote:

This morning, Bolton ordered that the Department of Justice file a memo and scheduled a hearing for October 4th where the Trump team must publicly argue why a man who was so racist he was convicted of criminal contempt of court for refusing to end his discriminatory racial profiling policies deserves to walk free.

This is the steaming pile of bullshit. First, he'll be walking free no matter what, since he was pardoned. Second, the DOJ is the side that is prosecuting the case. Bolton isn't "ordering" the Department of Justice to argue the case for *pardoning* him. She's set the 4th as the date for arguments where the DOJ can argue against setting aside the conviction. It's Arpaio's attorneys who will be arguing that the conviction should be set aside. The DOJ will (unless it drops the case and doesn't oppose the motion) be literally arguing the opposite of what this article claims!

quote:

The state of Arizona will have their own chance to argue why Arpaio should not be pardoned, allowing them to publicly, and in great detail, list the full extent of the heinous crimes and misdeeds of Sheriff Joe Arpaio, which include running what he refers to as a concentration camp, torturing his inmates, forcing a woman to give birth in shackles, and refusing to investigate sex crimes against Latina children.

That's utter nonsense. Arizona won't be arguing that he "shouldn't be pardoned." The pardon is a thing that happened. He's been pardoned. It's not subject to review by a court. In addition, what he was convicted of was a contempt of court charge for disobeying a court order. That's the only crime at issue. Arpaio's corruption, his lovely jails, his abuses of power, his violations of the Constitution, are all utterly irrelevant and not at issue in the slightest degree. Arizona will not be standing there in court expounding a big long list of totally irrelevant poo poo. Courts do not work that way.

Seriously, this bit here?

quote:

"Trump is about to find out the hard way that in the United States of America, the President is not king. He cannot simply clap his hands and subvert the legal and judicial system of our nation because he wills it – a warning that all those currently under questioning in the Trump-Russia investigation would do well to remember"

That's the OD equivalent of one of those letters to Penthouse, "I never thought it would happen to me", you can just about see the author simultaneously frothing at the mouth and flogging his flaccid dong into tumescence while he tries to insert hyperlinks one-handed. The Presidential pardon power isn't a subversion of the legal and judicial system, it is a specifically enumerated part of them, and whether or not Arpaio's conviction stands or not he will suffer absolutely no punitive effects as a result of the conviction. That's what a pardon means. He can stand up there on the podium and say "Yes, I'm absolutely guilty of the contempt charge I was convicted of" and it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference. He's been pardoned. He can't be touched for the crime he was convicted of. No punitive effects can accrue. This is solely about whether or not his conviction stays on the books.

Stop reading Occupy Democrats. It is worse than garbage. I'm still not convinced it's not a subtle parody site to make its readers look like the biggest bunch of slackjawed drooling morons this side of MLM downlines.

Ride The Gravitron posted:

Again: Arpaio's attorneys will be the ones arguing that the conviction should be set aside. If the DoJ argues anything, it will be arguing that the conviction should remain intact. Given that, you know, the DoJ is the side that sought and obtained the conviction in the first place. The DoJ is not defending Arpaio. That is the job of Arpaio's lawyers.

This is awesome. Thanks for posting it.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 02:13 on Aug 31, 2017

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
The schadenfreude is everybody suddenly realizing that the entire criminal justice system exists at the whim of Donald Trump

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
Last year the UK government introduced legislation trying to ban all legal highs- a law criticised by many as being completely unworkable. The government have just fought their first cases against people pleading not guilty

'Legal high' review after laughing gas cases collapse

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Especially as the current lawsuit alleges Travis was trying to maneuver the rules about the board membership in order to get at least shadow control of the company, if not the resumption of his prior role.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Oh Please oh please oh please

Whatever he is on trial for is probably the least of his crimes.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
From the tech support thread

Danyull posted:

I just got a call from a student who accidentally hit "Reply to all" on a message from her teacher to the class. She was begging me for some way to delete the message retroactively, which we don't have the ability to do, and started crying because she was going to drop the class out of embarrassment.

The girl sent a message to her entire class about how she would be out for a few weeks because she had bumps on her rear end in a top hat that required surgery.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
Oh yeah. Also the Conservatives launched their new youth movement

https://twitter.com/WikiGuido/status/902840617058926592

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phanatic posted:

This is a bunch of wankery.

The Schad is on all of us wishing it were real. :smith:

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

https://twitter.com/h3apspray/status/903044975813771264

check out the url someone's getting fired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
now this is a feast

gather round, friends