Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I didn't know there was a free trial of o365 admin?

How do you mean? An Office 365 trial account has all the features enabled.

Protip: Don't make trial accounts for learning using .onmicrosoft.com domains you might want to use in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Anybody excited about crawling under desks is a loving sociopath.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Uh, how are they going to get their IT peon to do lighting for events when to the best of my knowledge that poo poo is heavily dependent on union membership over in the US?

Obviously all the other stuff is bad, too.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Thanks Ants posted:

Protip: Don't make trial accounts for learning using .onmicrosoft.com domains you might want to use in the future
Yeah, it's a full E3 tenant that you get to play with for a month. Any certification track or training course you look at is very likely to mention it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There used to be a tool that MS partners could use to build tenants that were populated with demo content relevant to the industry that was selected when the demo was built. So if you were pitching the product to lawyers you'd get a bunch of stock lawyery-looking documents and emails, which was quite cool. I think it's dead now and they expect partners to build their own demo tenants or just create trials for customers and have them use it for a bit.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

pr0digal posted:

A former client forwarded me along a position for a Desktop Support Engineer for Gizmodo

:allears:

The responsibilities are pretty good too: http://gizmodo.com/careers/job/808074?gh_jid=808074

Stopped reading at "swipe left". :barf:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Thanks Ants posted:

anthonypants posted:

Yeah, it's a full E3 tenant that you get to play with for a month. Any certification track or training course you look at is very likely to mention it.

I'm confused as gently caress right now. The only Office 365 I know with a trial account is the subscription Office software for home users to have word/excel/etc. I didn't know the big hosted version with email and stuff had a trial version, and the only E3 I know is the Electronics Entertainment Expo. I apparently got some researching to do.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I'm confused as gently caress right now. The only Office 365 I know with a trial account is the subscription Office software for home users to have word/excel/etc. I didn't know the big hosted version with email and stuff had a trial version, and the only E3 I know is the Electronics Entertainment Expo. I apparently got some researching to do.

Careful how far down that rabbit hole you jump; Microsoft licensing is a nightmare.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkID=403802&culture=en-US&country=US

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Office 365 is commonly used to refer to the cloud-based Office applications, like Exchange Online, SharePoint Online, OneDrive for Business, Skype for Business, and some others. Users on an Office 365 plan can typically get licenses for the Office desktop apps. If you were asking about supporting Office desktop apps, I'd stay away from calling that Office 365. The consumer-level Office subscription plans are called Office 365 Home or Office 365 Personal, which is confusing, but I'd refer to the desktop apps suite as Office 2016 instead. You can get standalone versions of Office 2016 without a subscription, too.

E3 is just an Office 365 licensing tier that just means like, "Enterprise, level 3" or something. It's a pretty standard default tier that includes all the online apps, Exchange/SharePoint/OneDrive connectivity, and Office 2016 licenses.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
That sounds like a neat job. It's not sysadmin work, it's desktop support.

That was basically my previous job, it was really fun, I got paid okay, and I used my time to learn more marketable skills.

Probably good for someone looking to break in.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

That sounds like a neat job. It's not sysadmin work, it's desktop support.

That was basically my previous job, it was really fun, I got paid okay, and I used my time to learn more marketable skills.

Probably good for someone looking to break in.

Supporting the technical side of video studio and NAS infrastructure (that I know was cheaply built because I was told it was, Cat 5 baby) in addition to the other stuff listed does not sound fun to me.

But maybe I'm jaded because I have actually worked with Univision IT/Digital Team before and have not enjoyed my experience. I ran SAN support for their other studio for a while.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 29, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don't do IT for any creative industry

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

anthonypants posted:

If you were asking about supporting Office desktop apps, I'd stay away from calling that Office 365. The consumer-level Office subscription plans are called Office 365 Home or Office 365 Personal, which is confusing, but I'd refer to the desktop apps suite as Office 2016 instead. You can get standalone versions of Office 2016 without a subscription, too.

I used to work in Staples selling the consumer versions, so that's pretty ingrained to me, and something I do need to break.

anthonypants posted:

Office 365 is commonly used to refer to the cloud-based Office applications, like Exchange Online, SharePoint Online, OneDrive for Business, Skype for Business, and some others.

I knew this, just didn't know there was a trial.

anthonypants posted:

E3 is just an Office 365 licensing tier that just means like, "Enterprise, level 3" or something. It's a pretty standard default tier that includes all the online apps, Exchange/SharePoint/OneDrive connectivity, and Office 2016 licenses.
Did NOT know this. Sorry for my bouts of idiocy. Hopefully they're decreasing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have a browse:

https://products.office.com/en-gb/business/compare-more-office-365-for-business-plans

Here's a stupidly detailed version:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office-365-platform-service-description.aspx

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK

Some poor reddit bastard posted:

So management has been saying lately that our network is a "cost center," and "complexity engine," and that they want to eliminate it. We were told at the beginning of the year that our SMARTNET isn't being renewed, and we're told this week we're going to be buying unmanaged D-Link switches to replace our C3750's and 4500 cores.

When I responded that we would need to re-ip everything to fit in one subnet/broadcast domain because unmanaged switches do not support vlans that was said to not be acceptable.
I had planned to collapse the wiring closets which were each a /24 with routed access to the core into a flat /21 network. Now that idea is out the window... so now I'm thinking out of the box. Do you think it will work to instead just change every hosts netmask so they all fall in the same subnet? That way nothing changes IP, and everything can still talk to everything else via ARP. At the same time I guess change every default gateway to point directly to our sonic wall.
The only thing I can think of is potential broadcast storms, so we'd be deploying a non looping tree topology with strictly one uplink per leaf node to the spine layer, which will be a single switch uplinked to our sonicwall.

Our server guys also offered to stand up a VM if we really need a router to run VyOS or something, which opens the door to all kinds of cool software defined options.
My question is, has anyone a migration like this before, and do you have any advice to share?
Thanks much.

https://www.reddit.com/r/networking/comments/6wor0u/converting_to_a_flat_network/

Dudes post history reckons he works at a church so I guess that's the more batshit end of the spectrum but :cripes:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Zephirus posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/networking/comments/6wor0u/converting_to_a_flat_network/

Dudes post history reckons he works at a church so I guess that's the more batshit end of the spectrum but :cripes:

Jesus christ. His solution is leave everything as is and walk the gently caress out.

That is legitimately so :psyboom: I can't even

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bizarre that the person put into that position is talking about leaf/spine and using CIDR notation but asking on Reddit about it and is after advice.

I have to assume the tech people are all volunteers because paying for network and server people and then dictating what shithouse D-Link switches to buy smells like trolling.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Thanks Ants posted:

Don't do IT for any creative industry

This is my literal job* :v:

*kind of, we focus on storage and asset management but still...creatives!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can see how focusing on a particular area or existing in a really well structured team with good management would make it bearable, but trying to keep storage arrays growing and being part of the pool of people who might get asked to do a desk move can gently caress right off, and since under-funding and under-staffing the IT departments in these sorts of places seems to be par for the course it's easier to just not touch the poop.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

pr0digal posted:

This is my literal job* :v:

*kind of, we focus on storage and asset management but still...creatives!

To your credit, you have never made it sound anywhere near as bad as the context here implies.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

ChubbyThePhat posted:

To your credit, you have never made it sound anywhere near as bad as the context here implies.

I no longer work directly in TV anymore, now I work for an MSP/VAR who focuses more on the storage and asset management side of things. So for the most part I no longer have to deal with editors, producers, etc. Still have to deal with some bullshit when you can't do upgrades because a client is 24/7 and they can't afford any downtime. Or when someone doesn't read the scope and gets mad at me even though I'm just doing the install and their name is signed on the scope.

When I did work in TV it was different. I loathed production and editors. I had an editor who once walked into the post room, grabbed a wireless mouse that was at an unused workstation and said "I'm an editor, I need this". Then he just walked out. Every time we scrubbed all the illegally acquired effects off the SAN they would suddenly appear again and one time even ended up in a finished piece. The graphics guy had to spend a long time re-creating said effects in After Effects and Photoshop because some EP loved the effects. Creatives (editors in particular) can be very difficult to work with because some of them have been doing it for longer than I've been alive and have a very specific way of doing things. They do not appreciate being told that maybe it's time for them to update their workflows or to not work off local drives because we have a SAN! When my old company switched from Xsan to Avid we had to switch from a 1:1 workflow (editing in full res) to a 15:1 workflow (editing in proxy and then up-rez) because of storage constraints the editors and producers lost their poo poo.

To be fair the place I worked for made some pretty popular shows so I wasn't working on a shoestring budget. Though we got bought out right before a major office move and I lost any decision making powers even though I was the local IT Manager who was responsible for the move. More and more political bullshit made me hate my position and I was very glad when I moved and got my current job.

I should note, I worked in TV production, not broadcast. They're two different worlds even though broadcast does some production, production doesn't do broadcast.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 30, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is Quantum stuff any good? I get sceptical when I see the prices they want for some DotHill boxes with a different logo on the front.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Thanks Ants posted:

Is Quantum stuff any good? I get sceptical when I see the prices they want for some DotHill boxes with a different logo on the front.

Every so often it does some wacky things but overall StorNext is a solid platform. I have some dislike for the QXS storage because I swear Seagate (nee DotHill) drives have a higher failure rate than the Western Digitals in Nexsan units. You can use third party storage with StorNext with zero issue but Quantum will often give you a hell of a deal if you stick with all Quantum gear. The new Xcellis MDCs are much faster than the M440/M660s before them and you can put up to 40 gig cards in them and run a NAS directly off them. StorNext 6 promises a bunch more fun stuff too. I like it a million times better than Xsan and to OS X clients it works the exact same way as Xsan.

Not to say it doesn't have it's moments of sheer stupidity but less so than Xsan.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

pr0digal's post is giving me PTSD. I lasted 9 months when my contract position became permanent, managing an inside production studio for a large company. Editors (and to some extent producers) are the biggest loving babies I have ever encountered (I have not worked in legal or medical). I once had a grown man start to cry in a production meeting when we told him he couldn't keep 300 hours of 4k on the SAN because the total size of the footage was larger than the SAN. He was in tears because we were "stifling his creative freedom". He still works there.

quote:

When my old company switched from Xsan to Avid we had to switch from a 1:1 workflow (editing in full res) to a 15:1 workflow (editing in proxy and then up-rez) because of storage constraints the editors and producers lost their poo poo.

This battle is why I quit.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 30, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://i.imgur.com/zfmYMiq.gifv

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Chris Morris :swoon:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Ran into an issue I have never encountered before and its hilarious. Some servers are using azure backup. The problem is that the UI for backups doesn't have a clear cut way to knowing where the gently caress the backups are going. What azure account is this going to? Why is this so loving mysterious to figure out. Good news is that backups have finished successfully for years for these servers.

Edit, which I fixed because my boss was certain that X tenant was the correct tenant when it fact it was not. Lordy.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 30, 2017

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

I can see how focusing on a particular area or existing in a really well structured team with good management would make it bearable, but trying to keep storage arrays growing and being part of the pool of people who might get asked to do a desk move can gently caress right off, and since under-funding and under-staffing the IT departments in these sorts of places seems to be par for the course it's easier to just not touch the poop.

This is a big part of why MSPs exist. You can have a full time employee who spends a couple hours a day moving desks and troubleshooting printers and generally takes up most of one person's time. And you can hire a company to monitor and maintain your storage infrastructure and handle other tasks that only take a few hours a month to maintain, and more time to upgrade or install once every few years. It is impractical to hire one person with the knowledge of the latter while doing mostly the former day to day.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

lampey posted:

This is a big part of why MSPs exist. You can have a full time employee who spends a couple hours a day moving desks and troubleshooting printers and generally takes up most of one person's time. And you can hire a company to monitor and maintain your storage infrastructure and handle other tasks that only take a few hours a month to maintain, and more time to upgrade or install once every few years. It is impractical to hire one person with the knowledge of the latter while doing mostly the former day to day.

Moving desks around is why facilities people exist. Boy oh boy would I hate my loving life if I had to rely on an msp to move my people around. Or rely on a msp for anything really.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Or you can work for an MSP that did all of the former stuff and little of the latter because we would let customer's keep their dumb shitass infra.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I have a contract with an MSP to act as my dumping ground of "i don't wanna do this" tasks.

It's pretty great, especially on busy days when I can't be interrupted. But when I'm not busy I'm happy to do things right the first time myself.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

lampey posted:

It is impractical to hire one person with the knowledge of the latter while doing mostly the former day to day.

Hey now this is how I make my money...

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Dick Trauma posted:

Hey now this is how I make my money...
M-m...Moey is that you??

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The VP who is the head of security today asked my helpdesk guy if he thought it was ok to let some contractors into one of our buildings to do work at night over the course of several days, unsupervised.

This is the same VP who, when I pushed her to create a policy on how to answer burglar alarm calls (which they make IT deal with) said to "be reasonable". Her example of being reasonable was showing up alone at a building at 2 a.m. after the burglar alarm had gone off, before the cops arrived.

:what:

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
^^^ Oy, and I thought being in networking and dealing with a poo poo ISP was bad.

We just had a dispatch sent to a site on a closed ticket. When we called out the ISP on identifying what was happening they agreed to cancel dispatch. Of course by this time the site was down due to dispatch testing the circuit and they promised to get it back up.

:psyduck:

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

I just got a call from a student who accidentally hit "Reply to all" on a message from her teacher to the class. She was begging me for some way to delete the message retroactively, which we don't have the ability to do, and started crying because she was going to drop the class out of embarrassment.

The girl sent a message to her entire class about how she would be out for a few weeks because she had bumps on her rear end in a top hat that required surgery.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Danyull posted:

I just got a call from a student who accidentally hit "Reply to all" on a message from her teacher to the class. She was begging me for some way to delete the message retroactively, which we don't have the ability to do, and started crying because she was going to drop the class out of embarrassment.

The girl sent a message to her entire class about how she would be out for a few weeks because she had bumps on her rear end in a top hat that required surgery.

:eyepop:

why would you even send that to a teacher

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Danyull posted:

Comms major?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Danyull posted:

I mean if you're using Exchange they can just recall the message through Outlook. I hope you at least explored this option unless you aren't using O365 just kidding I'd tell them to drop the class haha

• Locked thread