Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Immanentized posted:

I've not put one together yet- what's the pain point on this model? The bolters?
I'm guessing he means painting. Land raiders aren't difficult builds and the hurricane bolters are pretty simple. They're nothing like the multi-part metal nightmares of yesteryear.

Every pair of bolters was separate. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Naramyth posted:

Let it all in and let things get degenerate. :getin:

Yeah, we tested that. HQs are busted as poo poo in combat patrol. Goes against the spirit of it.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Remember those cheapo 1997 Warzone figures I said you could get with 80 models for 30 dollars?

I've been continuing my painting practice on them and they're pretty low-detail models but they don't look too bad with a basic coating of paint by an idiot bitch like me

The plan is to use all 80 of them as two units of 40 cultists or as some sort of Imperial Guard or Renegades proxy

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Safety Factor posted:

I'm guessing he means painting. Land raiders aren't difficult builds and the hurricane bolters are pretty simple. They're nothing like the multi-part metal nightmares of yesteryear.

Every pair of bolters was separate. :shepface:

I let one of these fuckers sit half-assembled in a box for literally like 6 years, until I gave up and bashed some other sponsons out of leftover bolter racks from a Nephilim fighter.

Painting it isn't so tough, it just takes forever because the model's huge and it has a billion recesses to pin wash and half again more edges to highlight.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

SRM posted:

Look at this fuckboi who can't even 69 right, too busy thinkin bout the 9 to get the 6

I've also spent a good 12 of the last 24 hours working on this loving Land Raider Crusader and my hands are actually trembling, I'm like 98% done with it and I can't wait for it to be over

this mark-rear end buster probably doesn't even have the guts to paint helbrecht now

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

GreenMarine posted:

Where the heck is Magnus in Battlescribe?

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
The CSM codex made some nice (but perhaps overlooked?) changes to Rubric Marines. The min squad no longer costs a premium vs buying additional models, and you can now include a Soulreaper at 5 models instead of 10. I'm sloooowly painting up 20 Rubrics and thinking of running them in a battalion w/ three squads of 5 along with Ahriman and an Exalted Sorceror. Ahriman is boring, but on 5+ he gives my Leviathan a 3+ invuln save. Has anyone had much luck running Thousand Sons detachments? It seems reasonably viable ... maybe?

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Does anyone want some old 3rd edition Space Wolves bits? Just cover shipping and they are yours. If you have some chaos / nurgle bits you'd like to unload on me in return that'd be great, but not required in any way! If no one takes them they are going in the trash.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I'm curious as to whether or not anyone has made a good color scheme for rubric marines that are not Thousand Sons

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Geoff Zahn posted:

Does anyone want some old 3rd edition Space Wolves bits? Just cover shipping and they are yours. If you have some chaos / nurgle bits you'd like to unload on me in return that'd be great, but not required in any way! If no one takes them they are going in the trash.

I'll take them and I have a shitload of Chaos bits. PM me with what you're looking for.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Any codex admech rumours yet? I'm getting antsy.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

!Klams posted:

Any codex admech rumours yet? I'm getting antsy.

It'll be out 9/16, no new models, probably getting AdMech specific knights that differ slightly from normal knights. I was really excited but became dejected when it was revealed no new models would be released.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
There are some White Dwarf photos making the rounds with teaser images in them:
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-gevbpm85Uxc/WaQxNtfXeUI/AAAAAAABS2k/ZWmdqyrtu1Uzd5HqrrhFTV-WZrBNzKqOwCLcBGAs/s1600/primaris%2B%25282%2529.jpg

New strategem lets you spend 2 CP to change your canticle mid-turn to one you haven't used yet or a random one

Other book info:
- 28 new stratgems
- 7 forge world factions (Ryza, Mars, Metalica listed)
- 1 strategem for each FW, 1 for knights

...aaaand that's about it

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
So Blood Angels Infantry & Bikers get +1S if they are within 6" of ANy Sanguinary Priests, and the "any" means it do\es not stack, right?

I think I've fuinally nailed down my 1850 list.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
So I subscribed to White Dwarf just before the cutoff for the September issue. When can I expect it to arrive? I'm in western Canada.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

DiHK posted:

So Blood Angels Infantry & Bikers get +1S if they are within 6" of ANy Sanguinary Priests, and the "any" means it do\es not stack, right?

Correct.

Think of it like this

Are you within 6" of any Sanguinary Priests? If yes, you get +1S.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

DiHK posted:

I think I've fuinally nailed down my 1850 list.

That is correct. The priest buff doesn't even stack with Corbulo who's rule is named slightly differently per the FAQ

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Sad. Still think I'm gonna bring 2 of then for the Narthecium.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Forge World Metalica hahahaha

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
they've been coasting along on the back of past accomplishments for the last 10,000 years

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sex Cannon posted:

this mark-rear end buster probably doesn't even have the guts to paint helbrecht now
If I didn't want my cases to reek of matte varnish I'd go ahead and do that

Immanentized posted:

I've not put one together yet- what's the pain point on this model? The bolters?

Yeah putting together the model was a breeze - even magnetizing it just required a large drill bit. I've just done 90% of the painting on it over the past day and it's a pretty hefty model.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I asked this on RPGnet and people can't figure out what the answer is: Can a unit of Vanguard Veterans all be fielded with lightning claws, or does "The Veteran Sergeant may replace his bolt pistol and chainsword with two items from the following list: a storm shield, a relic blade, or an item from the Pistols or Melee Weapons lists" mean that while he does have access to both lists, he can only pick one item from each and therefore can't pick two lightning claws? Like, one would think the answer would be "Yes you can make a unit of gothy raven guard with all jump packs and lightning claws and beakie helmets purchased from bitz resellers" but, well.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

DiHK posted:

Sad. Still think I'm gonna bring 2 of then for the Narthecium.

What would you be wanting the second narthecium for? I've frankly been struggling with my own BA list building

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I still can't believe that I painted this little poo poo two years ago.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TheChirurgeon posted:

There are some White Dwarf photos making the rounds with teaser images in them:
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-gevbpm85Uxc/WaQxNtfXeUI/AAAAAAABS2k/ZWmdqyrtu1Uzd5HqrrhFTV-WZrBNzKqOwCLcBGAs/s1600/primaris%2B%25282%2529.jpg

New strategem lets you spend 2 CP to change your canticle mid-turn to one you haven't used yet or a random one

Other book info:
- 28 new stratgems
- 7 forge world factions (Ryza, Mars, Metalica listed)
- 1 strategem for each FW, 1 for knights

...aaaand that's about it

6 new forge worlds which will see no use as Cawl continues to be a mandatory choice. Thanks GW.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Corrode posted:

6 new forge worlds which will see no use as Cawl continues to be a mandatory choice. Thanks GW.

While I don't use Cawl, I have already painted most of my army in Mars red and some in cream cause I needed to paint something different and I think it looks rad.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Zuul the Cat posted:

It'll be out 9/16, no new models, probably getting AdMech specific knights that differ slightly from normal knights. I was really excited but became dejected when it was revealed no new models would be released.

I expected it when it was announced so early and all the leaks were Death Guard, but it still sucks. I'm not hopeful about any of the non-Mars Forge World rules being great additions either, but I guess the Astartes rules for non-Smurfs weren't completely disappointing, and with the small range, maybe they really go crazy! (:v:)

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
edit: wrong thread

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Urgent advice needed:

For killing hapless civilians and points notwithstanding: Nova cannon, autocannon, or battle cannon against unknown opponents for an LRBT?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

OhDearGodNo posted:

Urgent advice needed:

For killing hapless civilians and points notwithstanding: Nova cannon, autocannon, or battle cannon against unknown opponents for an LRBT?

Since you're guard and have a surfeit of command points to reroll any unlucky low numbers of shots I'm inclined to say the battle cannon. Nova cannons ~30% better against troops but its garbage against vehicles and while the auto cannon has the bad luck protection of fixed shots its worse at killing both t4 infantry and vehicles. Plus you can never really be out of range of a battle cannon shot.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Corrode posted:

As we all know nobody plays anything but ultramarines due to their glut of special characters.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Pendent posted:

What would you be wanting the second narthecium for? I've frankly been struggling with my own BA list building

Well, I'll have 2 dreadnoughts, some golden boys, 10 vanguard vets, a captain, Chaplin and the 2 priests in my jumpy attack wing so they'll have plenty healing options and having the two priests means that if I split my attackers I can keep that +1S.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

RagnarokAngel posted:

As we all know nobody plays anything but ultramarines due to their glut of special characters.

Entirely different situations but thanks for playing.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Corrode posted:

Entirely different situations but thanks for playing.

He's right, though.

Also there are plenty of ways to offset Cawl's benefit by having stronger forgeworld bonuses without having to pay to take Cawl

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

TheChirurgeon posted:

He's right, though.

Also there are plenty of ways to offset Cawl's benefit by having stronger forgeworld bonuses without having to pay to take Cawl

The legion traits and chapter tactics specifically seemed to take specially characters and singers with them into account in their design. A bunch of community previews emphasized how a particular trait would work with so and so special character, etc.

So it's not unreasonable to think that Mars' design will account for the presence of might Cawl and other forgeworlds will get traits designed with the understanding that they have no special characters.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TheChirurgeon posted:

He's right, though.

He's not though. Yes there's tons of Ultramarines characters, but a) there are good characters for other Chapters which are mutually exclusive with taking the UM ones and b) there are shitloads of characters for SM in general, both named and generic, which offer meaningful diversity. Compare to AdMech, where there's two HQ choices, Cawl and a generic TPD. Cawl is an upgunned TPD in every way - he's a melee monster who also has better than generic shooting, a better aura, and a useful army-wide ability. 99% of armies will have at least 2 HQs and a second TPD adds nothing except redundancy (which does have its own value, admittedly). The points differential between a naked TPD (135pts) and Cawl (250pts) is not great enough to offset how much more effective he is as a force multiplier and a real threat to things wanting to assault your artillery blob.

Maybe the Forge World bonuses will be amazing and offset that, or there'll be significant cost changes, or something else radical which will make the situation significantly different. We'll have to wait for the book to see.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

bonds0097 posted:

The legion traits and chapter tactics specifically seemed to take specially characters and singers with them into account in their design. A bunch of community previews emphasized how a particular trait would work with so and so special character, etc.

So it's not unreasonable to think that Mars' design will account for the presence of might Cawl and other forgeworlds will get traits designed with the understanding that they have no special characters.

There's also the possibility of having specialized magii that are functionally different characters than the default while using the same model. Given their current track record (granted, only two so far) of solid codices I'm hoping they make interesting and fun choices.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

PierreTheMime posted:

There's also the possibility of having specialized magii that are functionally different characters than the default while using the same model. Given their current track record (granted, only two so far) of solid codices I'm hoping they make interesting and fun choices.

This is the route I can see them going down - the standard TPD kit functions as multiple different archetypes which offer different bonuses.

Also once again someone forgets Grey Knights was released.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'm actually kind of surprised they didn't have a single model blister of an Electro High Priest or something like that to throw in with the release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
I'm hoping for changes to the basic troops, at least. Vanguard radiation guns going from multiple wounds to the potential for multiple damage was a huge nerf.